Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:33:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: miners: how are you going to react to the reward halving?  (Read 5886 times)
LiteBit
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1050

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 10:56:27 AM

Those interested in immediate profit will upgrade to asic, those interested in long term investment will continue to mine, even at a loss (@current rates)

I'm in it for both immediate profit and long term investment... As I'm sure most on here are.  That's why I am upgrading and got orders in early for the next generation ASICs.  I'm hopeful the new equipment pays off itself within the first month as the rush comes online (would be great if its within the first week Smiley. I'm also hoping its paid off prior to the reward halving.  Then it's long term investing from there. And re investing in more equipment with profit. 

I am with the rest of you that think the market will balance itself and keep the current predictable ratio of:
BTC cost : Difficulty : Personal Hash Power : Daily Intake (profit). 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ShadesOfMarble
Donator

Activity: 543
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 04:51:36 PM

sure, nobody knows what will happen to the market when the reward halving happens, but what are the miners PLANNING?
Mine on.

Review of the Spondoolies-Tech SP10 „Dawson“ Bitcoin miner (1.4 TH/s)

[22:35] <Vinnie_win> Did anyone get paid yet? | [22:36] <Isokivi> pirate did!
dlasher

Activity: 467
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2012, 06:37:02 AM

sure, nobody knows what will happen to the market when the reward halving happens, but what are the miners PLANNING?

can any pool operators comment?

If <hardware = GPU> then stop;
if <hardware = FPGA> then keep going;

Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 06:42:27 AM

Those interested in immediate profit will upgrade to asic, those interested in long term investment will continue to mine, even at a loss (@current rates)

I'm in it for both immediate profit and long term investment... As I'm sure most on here are.  That's why I am upgrading and got orders in early for the next generation ASICs.  I'm hopeful the new equipment pays off itself within the first month as the rush comes online (would be great if its within the first week Smiley. I'm also hoping its paid off prior to the reward halving.  Then it's long term investing from there. And re investing in more equipment with profit. 

I am with the rest of you that think the market will balance itself and keep the current predictable ratio of:
BTC cost : Difficulty : Personal Hash Power : Daily Intake (profit). 

Pretty much my thoughts!!!! Kudo's  Cool

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2012, 11:40:26 AM

i'm going to sell off all my stuff and go to disneyland
Gatorhex

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 01:49:46 PM

Stop mining, buy coins, pray ASICs are a scam and wait for bitcoins to hit $24  Wink
twmz

Activity: 737
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 02:22:30 PM

People talk about the reward halving as if it will have some big mysterious and unprecedented effect on miners.  Income has been cut in half several times over the past few years as difficulty has increased.  Keep in mind that for any individual miner, the reward being cut in half has exactly the same effect on income rate as the difficulty doubling.  If you want to see what affect that will have, just look back at the past 3 months.  At the start of July, difficulty was close to 1.5 million.  Now it is a bit above 3 million.  How have you reacted to your income being cut in half over the past 3 months?

Was I helpful?  1TwmzX1wBxNF2qtAJRhdKmi2WyLZ5VHRs
WoT, GPG

Bitrated user: ewal.
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2012, 02:38:24 PM

People talk about the reward halving as if it will have some big mysterious and unprecedented effect on miners.  Income has been cut in half several times over the past few years as difficulty has increased.  Keep in mind that for any individual miner, the reward being cut in half has exactly the same effect on income rate as the difficulty doubling.  If you want to see what affect that will have, just look back at the past 3 months.  At the start of July, difficulty was close to 1.5 million.  Now it is a bit above 3 million.  How have you reacted to your income being cut in half over the past 3 months?
wasn't BTC worth around $5 is July (difficulty was close to 1.5 million) and ~$12 now (Now it is a bit above 3 million)? when converted to fiat (yukky I know) my income has actually increased despite difficulty rises Cheesy
turning on 2 FPGA and off 4 x 6950 has helped my power consumption therefore bottom line too.

some would say the reward drop is already "factored in" to the price - I guess we will see Smiley

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 02:21:46 PM

I'm only going to be able to afford half price hookers now....

o.0

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
paulie_w (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 12:58:55 PM

i'm starting to think that the price will be driven _down_ by the halving first, then back up again as the miners try to push it.

it's just too weird of an event and may cause some panic.
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 01:12:18 PM

i'm starting to think that the price will be driven _down_ by the halving first, then back up again as the miners try to push it.

it's just too weird of an event and may cause some panic.

What's weird?  Reward Halving?  That's the design, nothing weird about it.

What doesn't cause panic these days? Smiley
Sam

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 01:29:52 PM

unless price doubles or difficulty halvens, I am going out.

Isokivi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2012, 04:20:37 PM

Im reacting by trying to find alternative bitcoin income, for starters Im selling goods for bitcoin.

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 06:48:25 AM

I think I will become outraged and demand a change in protocol so that the original reward may be restored. Then when nobody listens I will quit mining in disgust.

Seriously though, this has been expected for a while. Personally I already have a bunch of coins so I am willing to waste a few hundred $ worth of electricity a month to continue mining with ASICs (even at a loss) just to protect the network and the coins I already have.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: