Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 03:08:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Millionaire leaves message on the key to happiness on a bank receipt...  (Read 8486 times)
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 10:58:54 AM
Last edit: October 01, 2012, 11:16:27 AM by grondilu

The satisfaction of a job well done, the thrill of discovery at "living in the future," the sense of peace while gazing at a zen garden, all are forms of happiness. If you consider your life worthwhile, you are happy. Simply because you have not experienced transcendental joy does not mean you have never experienced happiness.

I very much doubt this is happiness.  When I talked about it, I did not mean "transcendental joy".  I meant happiness as what I can imagine it is through its description in standard cultural stereoptypes (familly, fullfilling job, love and stuff like that).

I know what satisfaction, tranquility and thrill are.  But I would not call that happiness.   Maybe happiness is what describes what we feel when we have it all.   Then I doubt it is reasonable to hope for that.

IIRC, bouddhists believe in something they call renouncement.  I'm pretty sure that's why they don't call their ultimate goal "happiness".  It's just much more complicated than that.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2012, 11:18:59 AM

The satisfaction of a job well done, the thrill of discovery at "living in the future," the sense of peace while gazing at a zen garden, all are forms of happiness. If you consider your life worthwhile, you are happy. Simply because you have not experienced transcendental joy does not mean you have never experienced happiness.

I very much doubt this is happiness.  When I talked about it, I did not mean "transcendental joy".  I meant happiness as what I can imagine it is through its description in standard cultural stereoptypes (familly, fullfilling job, love and stuff like that).

I know what satisfaction, tranquility and thrill are.  But I would not call that happiness.   Maybe happiness is what describes what we feel when we have it all.   Then I doubt it is reasonable to hope for that.

IIRC, bouddhists believe in something they call renouncement.  I'm pretty sure that's why they don't call their ultimate goal "happiness".  It's just much more complicated than that.

Let me repeat, then, since you seem to have missed it:

If you consider your life worthwhile, you are happy.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 11:23:18 AM

Well, I disagree.

I'm not a native english speaker though, so I'm not in best position to talk about word definition.  Still, I do right now consider my life worthwhile, and yet I would not say I am happy in the sense this millionaire guy we're talking about in this thread is, for instance.

myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2012, 12:33:34 PM
Last edit: October 01, 2012, 08:34:09 PM by myrkul

Well, I disagree.

I'm not a native english speaker though, so I'm not in best position to talk about word definition.  Still, I do right now consider my life worthwhile, and yet I would not say I am happy in the sense this millionaire guy we're talking about in this thread is, for instance.

Let me guess, you're German, right? They are never happy unless they're convinced they're unhappy. Wink

I'd define happiness as the state of having achieved (at least some of) your life's goals. Clearly Mr. Millionaire here sees the path to his life's goals through a large bank account. You may have a different path. That doesn't make your happiness less, it's just a different means to the same end.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
yrtrnc

Activity: 605

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 06:51:58 PM

This only proves he has 12 million dollars, if the receipt is legit that is. It doesnt prove he is happy or successful or anything else. Oh yeah also proves he knows how to spell and can write in English and has access to a ball point pen.. So why is he giving a load of advice? How does his advice apply to anyone else? We all have different circumstances and preferences right? Maybe he was bored.
Hunterbunter

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 11:04:05 AM

"Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

They were a smart bunch...even they realized happiness could never actually be attained...
Atlas (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 11:21:56 AM

"Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

They were a smart bunch...even they realized happiness could never actually be attained...
Challenge accepted.
grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 01:17:48 PM

even they realized happiness could never actually be attained...

It can.  It's just that it mostly doesn't depend on you.

That being said, not being happy does not necessarily mean being miserable.

IMHO

Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 07:24:00 PM

I think many of you have missed the point. This guy understood that money bought freedom. For all we know he could be dedicating the rest of his life to charity now, and he's likely doing better at it with $12 million than with $12,000. I've kind of taken a similar approach and wondered if I should focus more on it lately as well. Build something that can sustain you and those you care about, and then take care of them. Some of the most effective charities are primarily funded by people that have taken this approach, Gates, Buffet, and the Waltons. They built, built, built, and now they are spending the vast majority of their lives and fortunes on charity.

Someday maybe the likes of us will join them.
firefop

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 12:50:18 PM

Why is this man a douche? What is wrong with limiting your obligations until you can easily meet them?

The entire point of human existence is relationships. Money is one way to enable that... this is what people who are honest with themselves understand.

Shadow383

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 01:04:15 PM

$12 million in a bank account? Hmm, one would have to be filthy filthy rich to justify that. Anything more than half a million at the most should be invested.
This. I looked at that statement and my first thought was "That's not freedom... That's just an incredibly bad investment"
grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 01:38:46 PM

$12 million in a bank account? Hmm, one would have to be filthy filthy rich to justify that. Anything more than half a million at the most should be invested.
This. I looked at that statement and my first thought was "That's not freedom... That's just an incredibly bad investment"

Well, maybe he has a few hundred millions invested already, besides of these 12 millions.

naypalm
Legendary

Activity: 1272
Merit: 1012

howdy

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2012, 07:03:35 PM

J.K. Schmidt makes a good point. Money IS happiness! Smiley

zero3112

Activity: 588

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 12:12:56 AM

Why keep that much in one bank if the FDIC doesn't insure that much?

Maidak
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1058

The OGz Club

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 11:16:44 PM

friendly bump I really like what the OP shows

.The OGz Club.▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
████████████▀███▀████████████
██████████████▀█▀██████████████
████████████▄▄▄▄████████████
██████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████████▀
......The 1st & Only #MemeFi Project......
Website   ◢ Reddit   ◢ Telegram   ◢ Twitter   ◢ TikTok   ◢ Facebook

██████    ██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
       ▄▄▄██▄▄▄
    ▄███████████▄
    █████████████▄
   ███████████████
▄█████████████████▄
▀▀▀▀█████████████▀██
    ▀█████████████▄
    ▄▀█████████████▄
   █▀ ▀▀▀██████████▌
▐███    ▄█████████▀▀
 ▀▀     ▄█████▀▀
       ███▀▀
      ██▀

██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 11:51:22 PM

Money absolutely DOES buy happiness - it's just not generally happiness that lasts.  My car makes me happy every time I drive it though, so sometimes it does last for a long time.  Smiley

Generally, happiness can be better achieved by not aiming high (i.e., aiming to acquire more money or things than they can feasibly achieve within a given time period).  Or, to put it another way, learning to be satisfied with what you have and what you are capable of having without having to take out a loan to get it.

I dislike it when people just flat out state that "money doesn't buy happiness", because it simply isn't true (at least for most people).  Most people would be happier if their house was paid for, and they didn't have to work a day longer in their life, but instead could focus on what they love to do.  Most people would be happier if they could afford to take their date out to a nice restaurant more than once a month.  Most people would be happier if they had a newer car, catered to their desires, instead of an 80's POS that makes them wonder if they'll be able to make it to work.  Etc, etc, etc.

When people try to buy happiness without having the money to do so is when it goes downhill fast.  Taking out loans to buy things, specifically.  Now there's a bad feedback loop to get stuck in!

Anyway, just my two bitcents.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: