Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:12:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Bitcoin Foundation  (Read 127559 times)
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2012, 01:22:05 PM

thebitcoinfoundation.org isnt actually registered yet  Cheesy

It's bitcoinfoundation.org.

Im just pointing out that they didnt use "The Bitcoin Foundation" as the domain name.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The_Duke

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Lead Core BitKitty Developer

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 01:24:50 PM

A lot of people seem to be hung up on the word "THE".

No, a lot of people seem to be hung up on the words that come after "THE".

NOT a member of the so called ''Bitcoin Foundation''. Choose Independence!

Donate to the BitKitty Foundation instead! -> 1Fd4yLneGmxRHnPi6WCMC2hAMzaWvDePF9 <-
boonies4u

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 01:25:02 PM

Where does it say it is The Bitcoin Foundation? Where is that coming from? In most (well, all afaik) places it's simply "Bitcoin Foundation".

I'm curious about this because there is some conflicting information on this. Some people refer to it as The Foundation, but in most places it is actually written as simply Bitcoin Foundation.

A foundation is a thing, hence "the" foundation. Bitcoin just states that this particular foundation (the foundation) is about bitcoin. So that kinda naturally becomes the bitcoin foundation.

People sure were having a lot of problems with the "THE" though, turns out it never explicitely existed. It obviously shouldn't be referred to as "The Bitcoin Foudation", though there certainly are better names than "Bitcoin Foundation".
The_Duke

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Lead Core BitKitty Developer

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 01:32:25 PM
Last edit: October 01, 2012, 02:04:09 PM by The_Duke

I have named it as "THE Bitcoin Foundation" in many of my posts, with THE in capitals mainly to emphasize how I felt the people behind TBF present themselves and their foundation at the moment.
That doesn't mean I care bout the word "the" at all. It doesn't matter if they call it "Bitcoin Foundation" or "The Bitcoin Foundation". What matters is the things they state to stand for, combined with the name they chose for it. That is what a lot of people seem to disagree with.

NOT a member of the so called ''Bitcoin Foundation''. Choose Independence!

Donate to the BitKitty Foundation instead! -> 1Fd4yLneGmxRHnPi6WCMC2hAMzaWvDePF9 <-
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 01:46:44 PM

Where does it say it is The Bitcoin Foundation? Where is that coming from? In most (well, all afaik) places it's simply "Bitcoin Foundation".

I'm curious about this because there is some conflicting information on this. Some people refer to it as The Foundation, but in most places it is actually written as simply Bitcoin Foundation.

The bylaws have it as "THE BITCOIN FOUNDATION, INC."

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
boonies4u

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 01:53:21 PM

True, but the face of the company is "Bitcoin Foundation". I doubt many bitcoin newbies will be digging through the legal papers and bylaws. I think the legitimacy factor is more for the big players, not so much the consumers.
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 01:53:50 PM

Is there an example where there are multiple foundations for the same thing?

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 01:55:25 PM

True, but the face of the company is "Bitcoin Foundation". I doubt many bitcoin newbies will be digging through the legal papers and bylaws. I think the legitimacy factor is more for the big players, not so much the consumers.

Yes you dummies, don't look at what our legal papers say, just look at the sign on the door, it's all there.. See? We don't pretend to assert anything, we're just a foundation, you can have your own!   Roll Eyes

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2012, 01:56:29 PM

I have to say that I don't like them using the name "The Bitcoin Foundation" even if it is essentially only used as a company name. It still matters and it's not good, it's sort of an attempt to make it "the authority" on Bitcoin without actually earning that position first. I would vote on changing the name and removing the "the" part.

I hope members can create "bills" for issues that need to be discussed and possibly put to a member vote. This is one of those issues that will pop up. If not by someone else, then by me.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 01:57:42 PM

You dont think the US would classify people using bitcoin as terrorists ? You havent been paying attention  Smiley

http://www.activistpost.com/2011/12/10-ridiculous-things-that-make-you.html

I'm pretty certain I'm on some kind of terror suspect list. I got singled out by the electronic passport machine (which happened to none of the other about 60 persons I watched go through the face scanners) when I went to London for a Bitcoin Conference. The UK police inspector who inspected my passport data after I got "pulled over" looked at me in disbelief, then let me pass. Same thing happened when I went back into germany (no face scanner, but customs officials looked at me in disbelief after scanning my passport). So there's some note on my passport ("money laundry suspect" or "suspicion of terrorism" or whatever). I support(ed) Ron Paul, watch libertarian, metal-bug and conspiracy theory videos on youtube and habitually voice opinions that might be considered suspicious all around the net. I make no secret of my identity either.

I also use bitcoin!

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 02:02:25 PM

I have to say that I don't like them using the name "The Bitcoin Foundation" even if it is essentially only used as a company name. It still matters and it's not good, it's sort of an attempt to make it "the authority" on Bitcoin without actually earning that position first. I would vote on changing the name and removing the "the" part.

If they seriously want my trust the name, among other things, would need to change entirely, The Andersen Foundation for Bitcoin development was one of the ideas I really liked!

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 02:12:08 PM
Last edit: October 01, 2012, 02:39:31 PM by cbeast

I don't get the name argument. Bitcoin is an experimental currency. If the Bitcoin devs want to start a foundation based on the work they've done, they have that right. I don't know if this has been said, but I would like to see a Cryptocurrency Foundation that develops all aspects of p2p money.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 02:17:08 PM

I don't get the name argument. Bitcoin is an experimental currency. If the Bitcoin devs want to start a foundation based on the work they've done, they have that right. I don't know if this has been said, but I would like to see a Cryptocurrency Foundation that develops all aspects of p2p money.

Because it implies authority on the matter which wasn't granted to them, they merely asserted it and it's a danger down the road for being corrupted and misused. I mean seriously people, do you really not see the world around you? Please, open your eyes and learn from history or are you that desperate to repeat the same mistakes over and over?

Every single one of us upset about a Bitcoin Foundation is upset not because the good it's promising us it'll do and what it has done so far but because of the dangers of what bad it could do down the road without us having the options to easily get rid of it. And we keep going in circles again and again because we are telling you that you should be wary of the future danger while you are telling us there is no danger right now and we're simply talking past each other.

We know there is no danger right know. But you don't seem be able to comprehend the future danger. Please, open your eyes, learn from history and comprehend the very serious future danger.

boonies4u

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 02:20:17 PM

Yes you dummies, don't look at what our legal papers say, just look at the sign on the door, it's all there.. See? We don't pretend to assert anything, we're just a foundation, you can have your own!   Roll Eyes

I thought you guys were afraid of the assertions made to the new bitcoin users?
Technomage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2012, 02:21:44 PM

I personally wouldn't vote on changing the name to something like that. The point of the foundation IS to become a central, trustworthy information source and standard creator for Bitcoin and to be honest, it's also supposed to become a Bitcoin lobbying organization. That is clearly what it is supposed to be so pretending that it is something else is not good, the name needs to carry weight you know. Funding Gavin is only one part of the whole foundation.

However the name as it is does have problems. They simply can't pretend that it's possible for anyone to create foundations equally while they use the name "The Bitcoin Foundation". It's a BIG difference. With "Bitcoin Foundation" they are in the large scheme of things simply "A Bitcoin Foundation", or one can use "The" when referring specifically to that foundation. But when they have "The" already in the name itself, it's never "A Bitcoin Foundation". It's always "The Foundation". It's not fair.

As far as hazek's other complaint about fairness goes, I don't think it's valid. That was about TBF having Gavin, Mark and Charlie on board, so how can he or anyone else form an equal foundation. That is irrelevant. What is relevant is that Gavin, Mark and Charlie formed that foundation voluntarily, in the free market, without coercion. You can't force them to join any other foundation. They chose to do this, period. I think whining about fairness because it has certain people in it is ridiculous.

It's important to note that they put a big target on them by doing this. They are putting everything on the line for Bitcoin. Satoshi has been anonymous and good for him, but this Foundation will become the biggest real central target Bitcoin has ever had. I respect them for that though and I joined them with my real name. I'm not afraid in the slightest. In fact I think people are cowards for not joining the foundation because it can't be done anonymously, if the reason is that they fear some sort of tinfoil terrorist hunt.

My stance is that if you really support Bitcoin do it in your own name for gods sake and don't be afraid. I will continue with that stance because I believe I'm not doing anything wrong by using and supporting Bitcoin.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Polvos

Activity: 597

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 02:28:50 PM

I personally wouldn't vote on changing the name to something like that. The point of the foundation IS to become a central, trustworthy information source and standard creator for Bitcoin and to be honest, it's also supposed to become a Bitcoin lobbying organization. That is clearly what it is supposed to be so pretending that it is something else is not good, the name needs to carry weight you know. Funding Gavin is only one part of the whole foundation.

However the name as it is does have problems. They simply can't pretend that it's possible for anyone to create foundations equally while they use the name "The Bitcoin Foundation". It's a BIG difference. With "Bitcoin Foundation" they are in the large scheme of things simply "A Bitcoin Foundation", or one can use "The" when referring specifically to that foundation. But when they have "The" already in the name itself, it's never "A Bitcoin Foundation". It's always "The Foundation". It's not fair.

As far as hazek's other complaint about fairness goes, I don't think it's valid. That was about TBF having Gavin, Mark and Charlie on board, so how can he or anyone else form an equal foundation. That is irrelevant. What is relevant is that Gavin, Mark and Charlie formed that foundation voluntarily, in the free market, without coercion. You can't force them to join any other foundation. They chose to do this, period. I think whining about fairness because it has certain people in it is ridiculous.

It's important to note that they put a big target on them by doing this. They are putting everything on the line for Bitcoin. Satoshi has been anonymous and good for him, but this Foundation will become the biggest real central target Bitcoin has ever had. I respect them for that though and I joined them with my real name. I'm not afraid in the slightest. In fact I think people are cowards for not joining foundation because it can't be done anonymously, if they fear some sort of tinfoil terrorist hunt.

My stance is that if you really support Bitcoin do it in your own name for gods sake and don't be afraid. I will continue with that stance because I believe I'm not doing anything wrong by using and supporting Bitcoin.

You, "THE Big Farce" followers are laughable.
First we were cry trolls. Now that we found your big honeypot operation are cowards for not joining in.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Technomage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2012, 02:32:11 PM

The coward -comment applies only if the reason to not join is because they fear the consequences of supporting Bitcoin publicly. Any other reason for not joining does not apply, for example not joining because they think it's elitist BS - that is not cowardly it's their right to not support it.

boonies4u

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 02:33:23 PM

It's important to note that they put a big target on them by doing this. They are putting everything on the line for Bitcoin. Satoshi has been anonymous and good for him, but this Foundation will become the biggest real central target Bitcoin has ever had. I respect them for that though and I joined them with my real name. I'm not afraid in the slightest. In fact I think people are cowards for not joining foundation because it can't be done anonymously, if they fear some sort of tinfoil terrorist hunt.

You, "THE Big Farce" followers are laughable.
First we were cry trolls. Now that we found your big honeypot operation are cowards for not joining in.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I lost almost all anonymity of this handle. I have no fears of openly supporting bitcoin, or a foundation that lobbies bitcoin. Of course, I may have my own ways of supporting bitcoin that never needs to see the light of day, or "boonies4u".
Polvos

Activity: 597

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 02:35:00 PM

The coward -comment applies only if the reason to not join is because they fear the consequences of supporting Bitcoin publicly. Any other reason for not joining does not apply, for example not joining because they think it's elitist BS - that is not cowardly it's their right to not support it.
I don't join you because

boonies4u

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 02:38:26 PM

I don't join you because

[snip]A.A.[/snip]

If you wish to protect you anonymity, you can always donate anonymously, or find other ways to support bitcoin anonymously.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 »
  Print  

Jump to: