Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 03:53:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Bitcoin Foundation  (Read 127559 times)
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 02:31:35 PM

(The Bitcoin Foundation) .... a registered non-profit based in DC ... .

Why DC?
Lobby group...

"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
phatsphere

Activity: 763
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 02:53:15 PM

And... we will just create a new one.
There is already more than one, just like there is already more than one repository.  Cool
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 02:59:10 PM

Lobby group...

Geeks don't know how to lobby. How can we ever defeat hollywood and Western Union?

boonies4u

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 03:08:02 PM

Lobby group...

Geeks don't know how to lobby. How can we ever defeat hollywood and Western Union?

By electing not-geeks?
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 03:11:02 PM

By electing not-geeks?

We need socialites to woo every congressmen!

(Seriously, it sucks that we have to play the lobbying game in order to keep our enemies at bay)

greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 03:12:26 PM

So we'll need girls. I nominate mousepotato.  Cheesy
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 03:19:09 PM

One thing the bitcoin foundation can do for us is to organize American bitcoiners to call their congresscritters when there's a really bad bill that could mean bad things for our community.

(I am not sure if other countries work like that too)

hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 03:53:59 PM

(I am not sure if other countries work like that too)

Neither does yours.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
fornit

Activity: 991
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 03:56:14 PM

is there any difference between the industry membership levels?

evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 03:58:32 PM

"Warning - while you were reading 193 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post."

LOL

For the record, I LOVE that the Foundation exists now. I think this is a huge positive step for Bitcoin. Few negatives, plenty of positives. I also understand the concern many people feel - we should always be diligent and skeptical of anyone trying to be "the face" of Bitcoin. But in this case specifically, and to the extent this Foundation can act in certain manners for certain goals, I think it's a very legitimate development and I'll be joining as a paying member here soon.

kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 04:00:22 PM

The board has two "industry member" representatives, and two " individual member" representatives.  The seats are elected by members from the class that they represent.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
runeks
Legendary

Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 04:10:23 PM

This is great news! I just joined as an individual member and have sent the 2.5 BTC for a one-year membership.

FYI: When I go to bitcoinfoundation.com (found via searching Google for "bitcoin foundation"), I get a message about an invalid certificate:
Code:
bitcoinfoundation.com uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is only valid for the following names:
  www.bitcoinfoundation.org , bitcoinfoundation.org 

(Error code: ssl_error_bad_cert_domain)
I can't reach bitcoinfoundation.org.

Anyway, I know it was just announced yesterday, so no biggie. But I thought I would mention it anyway.
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 04:22:08 PM

"Warning - while you were reading 193 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post."

LOL

For the record, I LOVE that the Foundation exists now. I think this is a huge positive step for Bitcoin. Few negatives, plenty of positives. I also understand the concern many people feel - we should always be diligent and skeptical of anyone trying to be "the face" of Bitcoin. But in this case specifically, and to the extent this Foundation can act in certain manners for certain goals, I think it's a very legitimate development and I'll be joining as a paying member here soon.

I must wonder if you'd be saying the same if Charlie wasn't a board member. Not that I think you're trying to be manipulative, it's just hard to believe you are looking at this objectively and aren't highly biased.

BTW is it just me or is the foundation website being DDOSed?

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 04:25:00 PM

LOL

I must wonder if you'd be saying the same if Charlie wasn't a board member. Not that I think you're trying to be manipulative, it's just it's hard to believe you are looking at this objectively and aren't highly biased.

BTW is it just me or is the foundation website being DDOSed?

It either is being DDOSed or they've taken it offline for some reason.
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 04:27:04 PM

The board has two "industry member" representatives, and two " individual member" representatives.  The seats are elected by members from the class that they represent.

Yeah that's a real cake right there: corporate + founding members always have the majority, very "representative".  Roll Eyes

kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 04:32:27 PM

Yeah that's a real cake right there: corporate + founding members always have the majority, very "representative".  Roll Eyes

So do the corporate + individual members.  Or the individual + founding members.  This is very simple math.  Are you surprised that 2+1>5/2 and 2+2>5/2 ?   Roll Eyes

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 04:32:35 PM

To those ones who wanna Decentralization:

JUST start your own bitcoin foundation. don't waste your time to criticize Gavin's work.

...or we can just declare independence from this one and make sure its purported authority is not recognized. Then we can let others work as they see fit.

I don't want a foundation. I don't want power. I just want people to leave my money alone. I don't want mob rule putting a backdoor in Bitcoin.

What are you going to do to stop them from forming and maintaining their foundation? What are you going to do to keep them from seizing power and leaving "your money alone"? What makes you think the mob would undermine their own financial freedom by putting a backdoor in place?

Go ahead and declare independence if you want. Why don't you go and boycott all the coins they receive while you're at it.

They are free to form a collective just as you are free to form or join one of your choosing or abstain from these all together.

I can't help but comment on two points already made:

1) Silk Road becoming Platinum Member.
2) People with money, can buy their way in changing (or destroying) bitcoin.

1) Is anyone allowed to become a member? If not, what are the rules/restrictions?

They have something on their web page about disallowing felons. So I guess that means no Silkroad, no BFL.
...possession of crack cocaine--picked up a girl for you know what and before dropping her off where I found her, made a pit stop for her to make a buy (dropped, after wearing a wire to help with another investigation)(first and last time I've ever seen crack/cocaine).

I would rather have the person charged and convicted of possessing crack cocaine on the board than a snitch. Just my personal opinion.

At the time, pressure was put on me to cooperate or be charged with the felony. I lived in southern Mississippi at the time (not the Biloxi area) and the judge and DA were really cracking down on the drug dealers then. I wore the wire, but not a single person purchased from me, but I fulfilled my part of the deal. Shortly thereafter, I left the state to Vegas to play live poker full time, and not sure what ever became of that suit, which by now should be null and void being that it's been over seven years.

Just wanted to state the facts for all to read.

~Bruno K~
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 04:34:31 PM

The board has two "industry member" representatives, and two " individual member" representatives.  The seats are elected by members from the class that they represent.

So do the corporate + individual members.  Or the individual + founding members.  This is very simple math.  Are you surprised that 2+1>5/2 and 2+2>5/2 ?   Roll Eyes

Please don't troll me. We all know who of these three groups is the most likely to try and push for something malicious and who of these three groups is the most likely to agree with it being bought and paid for and who of these three groups is the most likely to get screwed in the end powerless to stop it.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 04:40:02 PM

How about the Bitcoin Freedom Foundation? Then we could all be BFFs.

As another poster noted it shouldn't have "the" in the name. That suggests it speaks for Bitcoin. Hello??? Bitcoin is decentralized?

THE is fine as long as it's not THE Bitcoin Foundation.

For example:

The Friends of Karples Foundation.

You may be getting warmer: Friends of Bitcoin (?)
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 04:41:45 PM

It's good that the Foundation will be funding development and representing Bitcoin legally, but it's important that the ownership of Bitcoin-related assets doesn't become too centralized. In particular, the Foundation should not:
- Control bitcoin.org
- Control any DNS seeds, etc.
- Own copyright on the Bitcoin source code
- Own any patents
- Own the Bitcoin trademark (unless someone has to own it)

I've answered this on reddit and similar sentiments in the comment section of my recent article, but I also want to post here. [No comment from me on copyrights and patents, because I don't believe in them and I don't support their infrastructure.]

theymos, thank you. I considered those issues as well prior to accepting the offer to join the board (and the specific direction is still being debated in multiple venues such as this forum). The success and organization of the Tor Project had a lot to do with my decision.

As a libertarian and non-Statist on the Foundation board, I think that other libertarians and non-Statists would mostly agree that a transparent organization is preferable to a 'single anointed individual' that can select the next 'single anointed individual' in a non-transparent fashion (the community never voiced their opinion on Gavin taking over lead role for Satoshi — it just happened). Although it has worked out well, no one can guarantee the longevity of Gavin in that role.

Open source software is actually more vulnerable to discreet State pressures and random bribery when only one, or a few, steer core protocol development without any community input on succession planning. A centralized individual is more corruptible than a group and the foundation is actually a step towards de-centralization in that regard.

Additionally, I would think that bitcoin users in general would welcome a check-and-balance on the core development group that may or may not have been involved in receiving clandestine compensation on the side. Of course, nothing prevents that from occurring now or in the future but I believe that an accountable, nonprofit foundation would decrease its likelihood.

Come on Jon, I thought better of you.

You got it all backwards. Open source is incorruptible as long as people remain vigilant. It's impossible to sneak something malicious into the code even if some developer is getting paid on the side - if people pay attention. What you have done now is actually weaken this vigilance because a lot of the user base is going to rely on you - the board members - to be vigilant for them.

We had checks and balances - the open source code anyone could read, and everyone was forced to read if they wanted to make sure.

Now we have a political centralized service provider (the structure of which ensures that corporate + founders always have the majority) that only part of the community supports and that wants to be the face of something they have no control over, they have no ownership over and are going to give a false sense of security to some users diminishing the vigilance that will be necessary to protect the core of Bitcoin.

If this Foundation is really such a wonderful idea why then did you keep it's formation (founders, bylaws, mission statement, allocation of salaries, ect) private? Why didn't you open a public thread on this forum and let everyone have an input how such an organization, if one was wanted or warranted in the first place, should be structured.

I'm sorry but I don't like what you did with this Foundation one bit because I don't trust that you'll do what is best for my own personal interest because I do not pay you and I didn't give you my explicit consent arranged with a contract to do so. All I can do now is hope you remain powerless and hope that I am left alone to experience Bitcoin as I wish. And judging by history of mankind I get the sense this hope is all in vain.

+1

Just logged in and got caught up reading... *sigh* I've got a lot of posting to do today.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 »
  Print  

Jump to: