Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:24:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Network Hashrate Tops 400PH/s [edit: WAS THE INCREASE UNTRUE?]  (Read 1295 times)
yeponlyone (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 07:36:05 AM
Last edit: July 27, 2015, 09:22:29 PM by yeponlyone

From http://bitcoinagile.com/3456C6/bitcoin-network-hashrate-tops-400phs-the-blockchain-info_stream

Bitcoin Network Hashrate Tops 400PH/s

The Bitcoin network hashrate has today, for the first time in history, grown beyond the 400 Petahashes per second threshold and is rapidly moving close to 500PH/s. [---]

The spike at the end of the graph in the article is just amazing.

New hardware somewhere? KnC's 16nm?

Edited the subject, as I still can not reproduce the chart they show
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 07:40:31 AM

the growth of the network from now will be very slow, don't expect the same thing happened with peta, with exa there is a new order of magnitude, exa will be probably the final stage of bitcoin network
yeponlyone (OP)

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 07:49:32 AM

Slow...? Did you look at the picture? The spike seems to still be rising... It's by far the biggest increase in network size in years.

How big is the rise in percent of the whole network?
Nexious

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

Nexious.com Admin

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2015, 07:52:03 AM

Could be testing of next generation of hardware? Or some one with deep pockets starting up another farm?

https://nexious.com - Bitcoin Mining Pool - 5BTC Block Finder Bonus!*
yeponlyone (OP)

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 07:58:36 AM

The increase seems to be both steeper and higher than the rise at New Year 2014 - what was the explanation that time?
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 08:00:35 AM

Slow...? Did you look at the picture? The spike seems to still be rising... It's by far the biggest increase in network size in years.

exactly since years, that's what i mean, don't expect the same rise from tera to peta, i believe the price have the possibility to overcome the network hashrate's increase, by a long shot
yeponlyone (OP)

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 08:26:35 AM

exactly since years, that's what i mean, don't expect the same rise from tera to peta, i believe the price have the possibility to overcome the network hashrate's increase, by a long shot

Sure, but if that spike continues as it seems to, 500peta is not far away - or 0,5tera. But of course it will stop eventually.

I'm just very curious what is - not what can be - the explanation behind this. Perhaps it's etablished hardware, but besides KnC's 16nm there have been rumours of an S7.
jacktheking
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1001

Personal Text Space Not For Sale

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 08:34:03 AM

A new mining farm must have started. Well, after it reach 400 PH it keep growing toward 450 PH from the chart. We're near to calling Tera soon.

So sad! This profile does not appear as the #1 result (on anonymous) Google searches anymore.

Time to be active on the crypto forums again? Proud to be one of the few Legendary members of the Sparkie Red Dot!

Gonna put this on my resume if I ever join a cryptocurrency/blockchain industry!
yeponlyone (OP)

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 09:17:12 AM

I can't reproduce the chart in the article. While that one stops at 465ph, my attempts do not show more than 413ph.

Here's another version that does show a sudden increase but not as high as in bitcoinagile.com:

randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 09:28:45 AM

this just shows that bitcoin is getting stronger and gains more trust of investors who invest in mining farms. a lot people predicted that the difficulty would drop to very low levels after the +$1000 ath. they were wrong  Smiley
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2015, 09:51:45 AM

In the early days there would be threads about how easily the banks could just buy enough hardware to do a 51% attack, or some government or the Federal Reserve.

Not so many threads along those lines anymore...

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
aakashsangwan

Activity: 994

PUGG.io

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2015, 10:50:12 AM

By watching this I also think that some new mining hardware is in action.
Or maybe a new mining company with huge bankroll to buy much miners.

Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 10:51:01 AM

the spike at the end Smiley

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
okae
Legendary

Activity: 1401
Merit: 1008

northern exposure

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2015, 10:58:27 AM

this could happend becasue maybe new hw is going to be released soon, as always... for those who sayd that dont expect the same rise on the next months/years i would say: never say never Wink

Also if things are going like i expected, thats nothing compare to the next years Wink

IMHO #1.b of suspects, Hal Finney is/was S.N.
acquafredda
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1481

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 10:58:36 AM

In the early days there would be threads about how easily the banks could just buy enough hardware to do a 51% attack, or some government or the Federal Reserve.

Not so many threads along those lines anymore...

Maybe because so far it's not necessary: the establishment has other means to say no to BTC.
And let's be realistic: if they want they will find a way to control this. And, I think, given a certain amount of money this will be very easy.

Why it is not like that? why do they do not control some PHS? that it is not clear at the moment.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 11:03:45 AM

this could happend becasue maybe new hw is going to be released soon, as always... for those who sayd that dont expect the same rise on the next months/years i would say: never say never Wink

Also if things are going like i expected, thats nothing compare to the next years Wink

Likely someone is plugging in some gear.  It's hard to say who or what specs are.   But yea some new gear, this diffiulty jump has not went crazy.

But hitting 400 PH is huge milestone.  I am still hoping difficulty rises slow we do not need any double digit's anymore.   Will be interesting once a few have next gen what happens.
DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 11:48:26 AM

I want to see if there will be any spike like this one when the next halving occurs.

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 11:51:38 AM

Sure, but if that spike continues as it seems to, 500peta is not far away - or 0,5tera. But of course it will stop eventually.

I'm just very curious what is - not what can be - the explanation behind this. Perhaps it's etablished hardware, but besides KnC's 16nm there have been rumours of an S7.

it's obvious that it has to do with a new productive process 16nm or 14nm, knc miners where saying that they were wokring on it since weeks or months, so it must be ready, their efficient isn't that great compared to the old HW

in the past the efficiency would have doubled from generation to generation now it's like 0.4..
HCLivess
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1090

=== NODE IS OK! ==

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2015, 12:10:41 PM

Thanks for this, it looks crazy

yeponlyone (OP)

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 09:19:40 PM

Again:

Has anyone been able to reproduce the increase in hash as seen in the bitcoinagile.com article?

They have used this site: http://data.bitcoinity.org]http://data.bitcoinity.org/bitcoin/hashrate/30d?c=m&t=a]http://data.bitcoinity.org to create the chart. No matter which settings I use I can't get the same spike; The closest I got is probably this shown above:

However, these ones are from today:

Was it a glitch that showed the strong spike? Or was it manipulated in some way?

What other tools do we have to see network size, to control if it ever was at 465pb?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: