Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 10:15:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Satoshi dumped Bitcoin right after Gavin announced he was going to the CIA.  (Read 36955 times)
IIOII
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1012

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 10:58:45 AM

People, please... There is no such thing as an "official" client in an open-source project. There might be a dominant client that is more popular than the others, but surely for software to be official, it would have to be closed-source? Wink

Most of bitcoiners don't audit changes in the most popular client. Even if someone finds a backdoor and announces here, most of bitcoiners won't pay attention, they'll be listening to "The Bitcoin Foundation". That's why involvement of Gavin into "TBF" is very dangerous.

+1

This is not about theoretical possibilities - it's about the factual centralization of power to shape the future of Bitcoin.

I don't know why so many people here do not see the danger.
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The_Duke

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Lead Core BitKitty Developer

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 11:19:24 AM

People, please... There is no such thing as an "official" client in an open-source project. There might be a dominant client that is more popular than the others, but surely for software to be official, it would have to be closed-source? Wink

Most of bitcoiners don't audit changes in the most popular client. Even if someone finds a backdoor and announces here, most of bitcoiners won't pay attention, they'll be listening to "The Bitcoin Foundation". That's why involvement of Gavin into "TBF" is very dangerous.

This.

(at above poster: I stole your sig Smiley )

NOT a member of the so called ''Bitcoin Foundation''. Choose Independence!

Donate to the BitKitty Foundation instead! -> 1Fd4yLneGmxRHnPi6WCMC2hAMzaWvDePF9 <-
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 11:38:29 AM

The same.
IIOII
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 11:46:46 AM

The same.

You're welcome.  Smiley

Let's show at least the new members that not all people here are worshipping the same gods.

Bitcoin is not a institution/corporation/old pal's club!
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 11:48:05 AM

I don't know why so many people here do not see the danger.

Frankly, I don't either.  I'd like to think that many of the early adopters are just hopelessly naive.  I can understand that many are blinded by greed.  But, at this point,  this constant seeking of approval and official recognition for Bitcoin can only be described as willful ignorance.  Only a handful remain in any position of authority who seem to have a serious grasp of the legal and philosophical issues surrounding Bitcoin, at least to the extent that Satoshi clearly did.

As for this forum, well, there are a few trolls here;  not as many as there once were, but a few.

But, for others, who knows.  It's been clear to me for almost a year now that the developers have, at the very least, been threatened over their role in Bitcoin.  Now, with "legitimate" businesses waving around the potential of millions of dollars in funding, we see a carrot as well.  I was holding out some hope that such crude tactics would not be effective.  But, I must admit, it is waning.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 12:05:13 PM

Why should ne harm the bitcoin project? Why should the bitcoin foundation be somehow corrupted? Sorry but I don't get it.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 12:15:43 PM

Why should ne harm the bitcoin project? Why should the bitcoin foundation be somehow corrupted? Sorry but I don't get it.

He is a human.
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 12:20:18 PM

He is a human.
Ok, but how should he profit? What are you afraid of?
Unfixed exploits?

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
drekk

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Who shot who in the what now?

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 12:27:11 PM

I'm totally failing to see the point this thread tries to make.

☛ GPG Key / Fingerprint: CDFF 083A 3056 7DD8 B5B9  6687 726C AB05 D6AE 6148
☛ Overly attached BitMinter miner // 4pmlIE9idmlvdXMgdHJvbGwgaXMgb2J2aW91cy4g4pm
phantastisch
Legendary

Activity: 2270
Merit: 1363

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 12:30:36 PM

The amount of tinfoilhat-wearers in this forum is too damn high.

HOWEYCOINS   ▮      Excitement and         ⭐  ● TWITTER  ● FACEBOOK   ⭐       
  ▮    guaranteed returns                 ●TELEGRAM                         
  ▮  of the travel industry
    ⭐  ●Ann Thread ●Instagram   ⭐ 
✅    U.S.Sec    ➡️
✅  approved!  ➡️
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 12:33:26 PM

Unfixed exploits?
I'm affraid that he will put a code that let CIA to track every satoshi sent thru Bitcoin network. I bet in a few months "TBF" will announce that they issue trust certificates for merchants using Bitcoin or something similar.

Every transaction is stored in the blockchain. Once CIA manage to connect ur address with ur real identity - u'll be on their hook.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 12:34:12 PM

The amount of asslickers as well.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 12:38:26 PM

Unfixed exploits?
I'm affraid that he will put a code that let CIA to track every satoshi sent thru Bitcoin network. I bet in a few months "TBF" will announce that they issue trust certificates for merchants using Bitcoin or something similar.

Every transaction is stored in the blockchain. Once CIA manage to connect ur address with ur real identity - u'll be on their hook.

Mt Gox already does this.

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 12:44:28 PM

Unfixed exploits?

Aye. That's why I trade using 10 mtgox accounts, so it looks like 10 different ppl operate with small amounts.
greyhawk

Activity: 938

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 12:46:32 PM

I'm affraid that he will put a code that let CIA to track every satoshi sent thru Bitcoin network.

blockchain.info is a CIA front

Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 12:47:24 PM

Unfixed exploits?

Aye. That's why I trade using 10 mtgox accounts, so it looks like 10 different ppl operate with small amounts.

Thats why I have 0 Mt Gox accounts Tongue

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 12:51:19 PM

It would not take much to turn bitcoin into the greatest honey-pot ever devised ... particularly if the eaves-dropping party had db's of large portions of users other Internet traffic to correlated with bitcoin traffic.

The resistance to strong anonymity being developed at the protocol level has always bothered me, saying that, it is a tough problem though.

Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 12:54:41 PM

It would not take much to turn bitcoin into the greatest honey-pot ever devised ... particularly if the eaves-dropping party had db's of large portions of users other Internet traffic to correlated with bitcoin traffic.

The resistance to strong anonymity being developed at the protocol level has always bothered me, saying that, it is a tough problem though.

There arent many core bitcoin devs who are anarchists  Smiley

IIOII
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 12:57:08 PM

The amount of asslickers as well.

Just wanted to say the same.  Grin

It is plain dumb to ignore the abusive potential that comes from a minority-controlled central entity that proclaims to push Bitcoin forward by openly admitting that Bitcoin is safer when it adheres to the principles of governmental regulation. Even if we assume that the members of The Bitcoin Foundation-club do not originally intent such, they serve as a perfect gateway for authoritarian control of the Bitcoin project.

In addition I have a bad feeling about the way they present themselves at their club - like heros from the corporate headquarter. I know a lot of successful projects where the founders do not engage in such a personality cult.

Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 01:03:28 PM

If moralfags like Luke-Jr wouldnt kill it with 51% attacks an anarcoin would be good.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: