Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:14:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: paper bitcoins coming soon  (Read 7636 times)
drewdtom (OP)

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

You can't stop the signal

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2012, 05:22:44 AM

OK, I think I got this going now, only one problem, the blockchain has not fully downloaded and I have no bitcoins to "sendmany"

But thanks for al the help, I should be ready to go in the AM, some 97% done Smiley

Ill let you know how it goes!

What a ride it has been! Check out our Open Bazaar hosting offer at Agorist Hosting

I support Bitcoin Not Bombs!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2012, 05:38:33 AM

if you can "bitcoind getbalance" and get it to say 0.00000000 then you at least know you have contact.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
drewdtom (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2012, 06:49:17 AM

if you can "bitcoind getbalance" and get it to say 0.00000000 then you at least know you have contact.

Oh, your right, it gives an error that tells me it can't connect to the server. what is server=1? just the local computer?

What a ride it has been! Check out our Open Bazaar hosting offer at Agorist Hosting

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2012, 06:57:16 AM

server=1 should tell bitcoin-qt to also listen on a port for incoming RPC commands.

using bitcoind with arguments sends those commands into bitcoin-qt.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
drewdtom (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2012, 07:00:58 AM

so where to start with trouble shooting, is this a port issue?

You sure the rcp username and password dont matter?

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2012, 07:02:13 AM

have you restarted bitcoin-qt since adding that option?  i think it is only read on startup.

drewdtom (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2012, 07:06:34 AM
Last edit: October 08, 2012, 07:25:27 AM by drewdtom

Yes, I have been switching between the two,  but ill try again.

Or did you mean to restart the computer... Ill try that too, after playing with bitcoind I switched back to QT to let the blockchain update.

Update: Nope, restart did not work, the file can't be only read on startup. I have re launched the app plenty of times... Maybe Ill post a new thread on "bitcoind server connection" help in the AM, I appreciate and new ideas you might have on how to get this going.

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 01:14:13 PM

Are you sure your bitcoin.conf file isn't really a bitcoin.conf.txt file? Wink
drewdtom (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2012, 06:42:31 AM

Are you sure your bitcoin.conf file isn't really a bitcoin.conf.txt file? Wink

Absolutely sure Smiley

Switched to newer computer, last one did not have any room on the hard drive for the full blockchain...

The conf file is in the right folder but I get this now

"error: You must set rpcpassword=<password> in the configuration file:
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin\bitcoin.conf
If the file does not exist, create it with owner-readable-only file permissions."

But I do have a password in the file?

My config file looks like this, What am I doing wrong?

Code:
# server=1

# rpcuser=bitcoinuserdrew

# rpcpassword=ilsr...bla...bla...bla

I'm probably missing something obvious to a pro, but I change the file around best I could with no luck...

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2012, 07:01:07 AM

Don't start the lines out with a # sign.  This comments them out and makes them have no effect.

drewdtom (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2012, 07:21:05 AM

I really need to spend more than one hour a night on this project...

I got it to give me a balance! never been so happy to have 0.0000000BTC!!!

The part I was not getting last night was that QT had to be open too, I'm slow but I got it now.

Now I just need the blockchain to download.... Thanks Mike! I can sleep now...

drewdtom (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2012, 08:31:24 AM
Last edit: October 10, 2012, 08:48:08 AM by drewdtom

Blockchain downloaded!

Took a shot at a batch fund and I have insufficient funds? I have funds and am thinking about sending more?

error: {"code":-6,"message":"Account has insufficient funds"}

I was able to send funds via bitcoin-QT to 3 addresses,

See transactions? --> http://blockchain.info/address/18pyoDpMJJeEbM4VBuvrM8sZdmur1FwBLV

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2012, 04:25:48 AM

Currently, sendmany is sensitive to which "account" the funds in (not bitcoin address, just internal accounting in the bitcoin client, that serves no useful purpose and ought to be deprecated).

Anyway, you have to use commands to move the funds so all of them are considered in the same account.  I just name my account the empty string ("") which is also the default for imported keys.

drewdtom (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2012, 01:20:44 PM

So are you saying I should paste my address in between the "" ? I tried that and got the same message,

Or how would I "use commands to move the funds so all of them are considered in the same account"

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2012, 01:36:17 PM

type "bitcoind help" to list commands.

I don't use the commands so they're not fresh on my mind, but seems to me there's a listaccounts and a move command that moves funds between the client's internal "buckets" for your coins.  Move them to the bucket named "" and then the sendmany command that has "" as its 3rd(?) argument should work.

drewdtom (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2012, 02:21:34 PM
Last edit: October 11, 2012, 02:52:07 PM by drewdtom

OK, typed this in and got a "true" reply

Code:
C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\drew\bitcoin-0.6.3-win32\daemon>bitcoind move " " "" 0.07
true

Then when I check the balance I get.

C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\drew\bitcoin-0.6.3-win32\daemon>bitcoind listaccounts
{
    "" : -0.03350000,
    " " : -0.07000000,
    "  " : 0.19070000

I'm moving coins to the other "buckets" but why did I get a space added, and the funds sent to ( " ") instead of ("")

UG... I';m moving coin around but I don't really understand what I'm doing... Ill have to chew on this a bit.

drewdtom (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 11:39:55 PM

Hello, I'm back from my trip and the notes I printed and manually funded went over very well, had a number of people who wanted to know about bitcoin but had no idea where to start really appreciated the notes I gave them...

Anyway, still don't know what I'm doing wrong with the batch funding but I downloaded the bitaddress app on a friends computer and noticed the new color notes, Very nice!

Any chance we could work on a back side that would be added to the app? Mike? Something like the one i posted here with links to blockchain.info and bitaddress.com

drewdtom (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2012, 04:47:08 AM
Last edit: December 04, 2012, 09:43:30 AM by drewdtom

OK, So after playing with this idea for a while and getting some good feedback from people I have given notes to the only problem I see is that after the privet key is imported to a individuals personal wallet the public address is still going to show a "balance" when scanning the public key QR code. Someone could be tricked in to taking a Note that has already been claimed by someone.

This is not going to happen with me obviously because I'm an honest person and am willing to put my name out in public and put the silver barter project me and some friends created on the line. Doing so could sower my reputation in the Silver and Gold community and I gain more by NOT ripping anyone off.

So, that said, I have started shipping free "Bit-Notes" with ever Order From my website DontTreadonMeme.com

If you order anything from my WePay.com Store or my BitMit.net page I will include on of each of the 3 designs I'm working with. (Total 0.003BTC) I'm also going to mail some to My partner who runs the Etsy.com page listed on our site so he can mail free bit-notes with his orders as well.

You can also see that I am manually funding notes from the wallet on my laptop and I offer this address to you all to verify that what I'm doing is on the up and up.

No longer in use ->> 18pyoDpMJJeEbM4VBuvrM8sZdmur1FwBLV <<- do not send to.

Like what I'm doing? Send me some coin. Even 0.001 goes a long was in helping someone get started with Bitcoin!

1MPQiTMcj2ZJN1Cn6YM76ihpSvu5vxM1tA

WePay.com --> https://www.wepay.com/stores/donttreadonmeme

BitMit.net ----> https://www.bitmit.net/en/trade/i/8742-1-gram-silver-trading-card

Sonica

Activity: 122

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 09:12:28 AM

I'm not really digging the paper bitcoins.
nixu

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 01:22:04 PM

I don't think that paper bitcoins is a nice idea. The main attraction of bitcoin, at least for me, is that it is a digital currency with all the convenience, anonymity and of course risks that this provides.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: