Print  
Author Topic: .  (Read 2623 times)
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 10:40:23 PM

That where smart people which invented all this. But I don't see any link to the religion there. They would have had the same intelligence if they where born under any other religion.....

the link is because of Islam they invented, otherwise they would have remained pagans(arabs) and not united

to find & pray towards mecca they invented and used things such as the astrolabe

also while europe was in the dark ages , the Islamic empire was advanced and inventing under Islamic Law (theocracy)

so some might say Islam is backward and not scientific yet under Islam so many things were invented

I don't think so . There where people that made great inventions which happen to be moslems. But they didn't do so because they where moslems.

Just because Islamic countries  allowed a part of their population to get educated doesn't mean that that was an achievement of Islam.

That would be the same as to claim a majority of all discoveries of the last 100 years are christian discoveries. They are not, they where just done by people living in christian dominated countries.

Or the same as claiming fire was a invention of Animism, because the first people to utilize fire belived in the almighty rivergod chanuk (I just made this up, there is probably no almighty chanuk, but you can never know for sure).

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 10:45:17 PM

Or the same as claiming fire was a invention of Animism, because the first people to utilize fire belived in the almighty rivergot chanuk (I just made this up, there is probably no almighty chanuk, but you can never know for sure).

Maybe we should all believe in many gods in the same time because two of the most brillant civilizations, the greeks and the romans, were polytheist.  I guess we should all adorate Zeus and Jupiter.

This is so stupid.

I mean,  imagine I ask: "What did polytheism ever do for us?"  And then I start talking about mathematics, architecture, roads, medecine, atoms, Archimede, Pythagore, Platon and so on.

Everybody would laugh at me.  

goodlord666

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

100%

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 11:12:13 PM

Or the same as claiming fire was a invention of Animism, because the first people to utilize fire belived in the almighty rivergot chanuk (I just made this up, there is probably no almighty chanuk, but you can never know for sure).

Maybe we should all believe in many gods in the same time because two of the most brillant civilizations, the greeks and the romans, were polytheist.  I guess we should all adorate Zeus and Jupiter.

This is so stupid.

I mean,  imagine I ask: "What did polytheism ever do for us?"  And then I start talking about mathematics, architecture, roads, medecine, atoms, Archimede, Pythagore, Platon and so on.

Not really. Those days were great. Tell me, why did we ever give up on that culture again?

Just musing..

Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 11:18:58 PM

This is so stupid.

Not really. Those days were great. Tell me, why did we ever give up on that culture again?

Just musing..

I didn't as you can see in my sig picture. I'm a true believer of the goddess Eris. The Greek goddess of chaos, strife and discord. But I don't pray to her, ... far to dangerous.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
goodlord666

Activity: 434

100%

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 12:29:41 AM

This is so stupid.

Just musing..

I didn't as you can see in my sig picture. I'm a true believer of the goddess Eris. The Greek goddess of chaos, strife and discord. But I don't pray to her, ... far to dangerous.

Dude, don't ever pray to a pentagram. That shit will take you years to recover from. But it can also give you a boost in life.

I used protection. And don't ever go past the 99.9% with him. That dude is far more powerful than anything in this world.

BitcoinINV

Activity: 448

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 02:13:02 AM

Im a apollo fan myself, its TKE's god our fraturnity prays to him JK

b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 02:37:34 PM

They also created Islam, don't forget.
firefop

Activity: 420

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 12:32:59 PM

First off - 'facts' aren't factual.

Astrolabe wasn't an islamic invention: see Claudius Ptolemy (ca. AD 150) who wrote extensively on it in his work known as the Planisphaerium. Which predate islam.

Distilled water has been known since at least c. 200, when Alexander of Aphrodisias described the process.

Second - implying that religion is the basis of invention is false in general. I could just as well imply that "because most theoretical scientists are atheists" then it must mean that God doesn't exist.

firefop

Activity: 420

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 12:42:05 PM

Also,
mathematics (someone give some details?),
geometrics & patterns,
probiotic medicine (still not in use today actually),
different attitudes to trade and economics than the jewish & christian environment before - anyone give more info?

Formal Mathematics, Greek origins - predates islam.
Geometry (and volume calculations!) - Greek again.
Probiotics - Egypt, antibiotics through fermentation of beer. (seriously check it out - they were brewing beer that had tetracycline in it).

Trade and Economics - maybe, depends on what exactly you mean - Historically, islam is considered by most historians to be the origin of organized crime.

grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 03:17:19 PM

some might say to become advanced and powerful like the west , leave islam , but I say under Islam we could be advanced and powerful , some say we still live in the dark ages (islamic world today) but while europe was in the dark ages Islamic world was advanced , and so it could again in the future

And as I said, their advance in science at this time had probably little to do with their religion, and was rather due to their geopolitical situation at this time, which is quite complex.  It would be absurd to promote a religion just because it happened to be the religion of a great civilization at some time in the past.   There were lots of them, I bet you just pick the one you currently believe in, or the one which corresponds to your ethnicity.

Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 03:50:09 PM

The early Muslims are credited with inventing distillation and could distill just about anything - from alcohol to perfume. Hygiene is very important in the Muslim world so they invented and manufactured soap - centuries before the West - and hundreds of bathhouses were built throughout Muslim cities.

They understood the fundamentals of light and how we see, and gave us the camera obscure. They invented algebra and worked out the angle of the tilt of the earth. They built the first windmill, pioneered the concept of the crank rod, and designed the first ever torpedo.

Muslim creativity also led to the invention of a unique instrument called the astrolabe -- it could find the direction of Mecca, tell the time and, with the help of the stars, navigate you across deserts and oceans. But perhaps most important of all they pursued the cause of knowledge, translating and preserving the works of the ancients and building the world's largest libraries -- their 'houses of wisdom'.

That and so much more. The Arabic world was a fantastic place to live centuries ago.

As my favorite Astrophysicist noted, it's all about Fundamentalism.

I'll just leave this here Smiley - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oxTMUTOz0w

grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 04:22:17 PM

And as I said, their advance in science at this time had probably little to do with their religion, and was rather due to their geopolitical situation at this time, which is quite complex.  It would be absurd to promote a religion just because it happened to be the religion of a great civilization at some time in the past.   There were lots of them, I bet you just pick the one you currently believe in, or the one which corresponds to your ethnicity.

I am not promoting Islam or asking you to convert, and this thread is Not about "hey look Islam invented and discovered many things in the past, so you should convert to Islam ! "

It kind of sound like you do, though.  At least because you keep saying "islamic civilization".   At school I was told that the arabs preserved and developed antique knowledge during the european dark ages and that it allowed renaissance.  You keep associating religion to that and it's difficult not to see it as proselytism,  but I'm Ok to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 05:28:11 PM

@korbman

in that video he mentions arabic numerals, astrolabe , algebra/algorithm from arabic but i didn't know so many stars have arabic star names

at school when learning algebra i didnt know it was from islamic world , i thought its something western i dont remember any school books mentioning any islamic scientist

Sounds like we should head over and post in the "What we've learnt today" [https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65853.0] section  Cheesy

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: