Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 11:39:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to help people with Bitcoin?  (Read 1305 times)
omahapoker

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 11:19:03 AM

I am far from a Bitcoin expert, but I believe in it's potential. I have a small amount of Bitcoin. I've used various on-line and local wallets. I've also written some code for basic website/wallet integration. Recently, during a phone call with a friend, I was asked to explain to a smart but "non-technical" person how to get his first Bitcoin.

While thinking out loud as to the "easiest" way to start out with Bitcoin - which wallet to use, which website/service for buying it - I realized that going from no Bitcoin knowledge to a wallet with a Bitcoin in it is not trivial. It's not like someone simply handing you a dollar bill for instance.

After trying to explain how to download and install a wallet, then wait a day for it to sync with the blockchain, I eventually said to simply use an on-line wallet at first. As for buying a Bitcoin, I explained meetups and LocalBitcoins.com, but those both required either driving into the city, or depositing cash into someone's bank account. The other option was an exchange which required a wire transfer along with sending a copy of a driver's license. By the time I got to options like purse.io for buying Amazon gift certificates then swapping them for Bitcoin, he was over it. I was told, "Never mind, but thanks anyway."

While I'm sure that a more knowledgeable person would have been able to do a much better job than I, I am sure that many other Bitcoin enthusiasts have had similar experiences.

In the end I realized that I should have just offered to come over, walk the guy through setting-up a simple on-line wallet, and have the guy give me cash for one of my Bitcoins (I could simply buy another one to replace it).

This brings me to the point of this thread. I know that there are a lot of people out there, curious about Bitcoin, but not willing or able to get over the initial hurdles of figuring out how to store it (or spend it for that matter), and actually exchanging money for something that you're confused about.

I am thinking of being a beginner's Bitcoin consultant of sorts. I could explain their wallet options over the phone or skype, walk them through getting it set-up, then meet them (locals) somewhere near their home to exchange Bitcoin directly in a non-intimidating environment. I don't expect to make much (if any) money (at least initially anyway). I was thinking of a flat consulting/convenience fee of $20 to $40, or something like that. I don't know if something like this is even feasible - I realize  that as a business model, there's very little upside and no scalability.

At this point, I really just want to help people get into Bitcoin, and make some/any money in the process if I can. In addition, this would be a way to get into the market so to speak, which at this point is really payment enough for me.

The main points would be:
1. A real person to answer your questions, and help with wallet set-up/installation.
2. Friendly cash/Bitcoin transactions close to home (unlike LocalBitcoins which are all downtown, at least in this area).

Here are my questions:
1. Do you guys think this type of service would be appealing to anyone?
2. Do any of you know of something like this already available?
3. It's still a sort of rough plan, do any of you have your own ideas on ways for refine it?

Any ideas, questions, or insights would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

This definitely sounds like a good idea. There are many persons that don't want to find out how things work on it's own. They prefer paying a small amount and get it learned much faster then. So i think your idea might work... maybe if you offer it online and you are mobile. Then you might find enough customers.

Good luck with that. Smiley
omahapoker

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 11:22:47 AM

People are VERY lazy..... In the last couple of months I have setup loads of wallets as demo's to get people to use Bitcoin. I have also sold some of my Bitcoins to people {with a extra bit of commission for me, to cover my costs and effort}

They usually take between $50 to $100 worth of Bitcoin at the start to test it out, and then they start asking for more... This is when I direct them to other methods of

acquiring Bitcoins on their own. {DO NOT keep on spoon-feeding them, or they will never learn and you will not get rid of them} I think one-on-one help is the best way to

get people to start using Bitcoin. {There is so many ways to do it wrong in the beginning and people then lose money and turn against Bitcoin}

That's actually a good thing when you don't have time to deal with them. But you simply could earn some money from them by being their bitcoin provider. Charging 10% fee is normal nowadays because many exchanger left the field when bitcoin price crashed. So if you want you can earn from them. At one point they might find out how to do it cheaper but for the moment it's easier for them to ask you and you have a fee.
omahapoker

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 11:28:31 AM

I talked about Bitcoin to my Granpa yesterday. It was like explaining that the sky isint blue at first. It went through after a bit but really, it take a certain mind to be able to wrap your mind away from your pre-conception and unto something different.

Cheesy Yes, exactly. When you start explaining and you try to do it easy then you realize how hard it is. And even when you took the easiest way you will look into puzzled faces. Cheesy

Anyway... things will change once bitcoin gets more mainstream.
tadakaluri

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2015, 01:08:29 PM

After you help some one & help to install/open Bitcoin wallet and teach how to buy/sell/trade Bitcoin - Fine.  But if something goes wrong and he loose the money, He must blame you about his loses. So just teach people 'what is Bitcoin' and 'how to use it' - that's all.  Let them play with Bitcoin themselves.
AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 06:30:41 PM

I don't think it's a necessity that people learn anything that isn't the very basics of Bitcoin for mass adoption. People has no idea how the actual banking technology works, yet they use it. The adoption will happen naturally as it becomes more famous and easy to use, so we should put work on the software making something solid and easy and attractive first.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 06:51:21 PM

I don't think it's a necessity that people learn anything that isn't the very basics of Bitcoin for mass adoption. People has no idea how the actual banking technology works, yet they use it. The adoption will happen naturally as it becomes more famous and easy to use, so we should put work on the software making something solid and easy and attractive first.

They don't care because its insured, covered, controlled, safe and embedded in our lives from the start. When you say BTC is crypto currency, its not using a banking system, its not insured, you can't charge back, they want to know how it could possibly be safe.

Every single person i talk to about BTC say. Meh i,d rather not use BTC since the value is so volatile and could be worth nothing the next day.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
faridkifly

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 03:10:34 AM

maybe we can help someone with bitcoin we have, perhaps by donating or exchange bitcoin us with something useful for others
I think that too.
but, less of people want to donate their btc... except people that have a lot bitcoin
n2004al
Legendary

Activity: 1134

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 03:55:06 AM

Very sophisticated way your way to help people with bitcoin. Main is more simple and less profitable. Nothing can substitute the mouth to mouth process.  The best way to know bitcoin to the people is to speak with them about it about its potential and first of all about his amazing technology behind it. Is this technology which stupor it and it will be the main argument that bitcoin will be more and more usable in time in all over the world.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 04:08:28 AM

Very sophisticated way your way to help people with bitcoin. Main is more simple and less profitable. Nothing can substitute the mouth to mouth process.  The best way to know bitcoin to the people is to speak with them about it about its potential and first of all about his amazing technology behind it. Is this technology which stupor it and it will be the main argument that bitcoin will be more and more usable in time in all over the world.

There's some hella confusing information and concepts here. Just show them the What is bitcoin? Official video;
https://bitcoin.org/en/

It doesn't get more thoroughly and simply covered than this.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 07:55:41 AM

if you are planning to charge for your service, i don't think you can charge much and on top of that you will not get much customers. but the free helping service might be a good thing.
besides all of the things that you want to give consult to beginners are available online in different types from blog posts to youtube videos.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: