Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 08:58:41 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it true that Vanillacoin uses the BTC code?  (Read 4517 times)
HCLivess (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1090

=== NODE IS OK! ==

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2015, 01:15:02 PM

FWIW, I politely reported the copyright violation (the code being a copy of Bitcoin Core run through an auto-formatter with all the attribution removed) as an issue on the github for the project and john-connor accused me of stalking him and then hid the issue tracker on that github from public view. :-/

monsterer
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 01:21:27 PM

FWIW, he did the same thing to me when I posted some issues on his whitepaper on github
Wheatclove

Activity: 606
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 01:31:14 PM

The level of professionalism that this dev displays is near zero. I don't care how good the tech is, I'll never buy into VNL due to his childish actions.
P-Funk

Activity: 360
Merit: 250

Token

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 02:33:43 PM

As a non-coder all I can tell you is it uses the same file names and structure as a Bitcoin-based coin would and also uses the same console/RPC commands.
x0rcist

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 02:42:41 PM

Is it true BTC is based on Bitgold?
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 06:16:30 PM

In terms of code? No, it's not.

In terms of general concept and idea? Probably.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 06:29:22 PM

You realize that proposing such a ridiculous counterargument is close to an admission right?

Get your nose of out john-conners ass long enough to be objective please.

If he stole code, reformatted and it and removed attribution, then he is a scumbag and a scammer. Did that happen or did i not?

I don't want to hear about Bitgold and RPOW and David Chaum and Milton Friedman and John Nash. I want to hear about whether john-conner stole Bitcoin's code, reformatted it and stripped out the attributions.

nextgencoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 06:37:52 PM

You realize that proposing such a ridiculous counterargument is close to an admission right?

If he stole code, reformatted and it and removed attribution, then he is a scumbag and a scammer. Did that happen or did i not?

I don't want to hear about Bitgold and RPOW and David Chaum and Milton Friedman and John Nash. I want to hear about whether john-conner stole Bitcoin's code, reformatted it and stripped out the attributions.

I would prefer to know if he really has solved double spend with zero confirmations more actually...cause if he has it wouldn't matter where the original code came from.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 06:56:56 PM

I would prefer to know if he really has solved double spend with zero confirmations more actually...cause if he has it wouldn't matter where the original code came from.

I want to know both. Stealing code, reformatting it, and stripping out the attributions is reprehensible conduct even if the same person also  accomplishes something else of value.

I don't know if he did this, but I would like to find out.

x0rcist

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 07:08:58 PM

Spend your time on github for some due diligence instead of getting your opinion from what others tell you.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 07:10:46 PM

Spend your time on github for some due diligence instead of getting your opinion from what others tell you.

Have you done this github due diligence yourself?

Can you say definitively that he did not rip off the Bitcoin code, reformat it, and strip out the attributions?

x0rcist

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 07:13:54 PM

Can you say definitively that he did not rip off the Bitcoin code, reformat it, and strip out the attributions?

I always do my own due diligence, its one of the reasons i left the XMR team after a few weeks.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 07:16:45 PM

I always o my own due diligence, its one of the reasons i left the XMR team after a few weeks.

Let's try to stay on topic, though frankly I have no idea what you are going on about with XMR. I only know of seven team members that have ever existed, which did not include you.

Did your due diligence on VNL determine definitively that john-connor did not rip off the Bitcoin code, reformat it, and strip out the attributions?

generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2015, 07:31:46 PM

I always o my own due diligence, its one of the reasons i left the XMR team after a few weeks.

Let's try to stay on topic, though frankly I have no idea what you are going on about with XMR. I only know of seven team members that have ever existed, which did not include you.

Did your due diligence on VNL determine definitively that john-connor did not rip off the Bitcoin code, reformat it, and strip out the attributions?

First we had a troll promoting gingeropolis to a Dev and now we have one promoting himself to a founding member. The first was funny, but this is sad.

x0rcist

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 07:43:39 PM

I guess i still have founder access on the irc channel like eizh asked me some time ago, to bad i dont have my freenode account anymore to hand it over.. it was and still is a toxic community i dont want to be part off Smiley Anyway it was fun mining them on AWS the first few weeks and i had a great last year after i got rid of them on the ~ 0.01 pump

The crypto part is indeed based on bitcoin the keep it backward compatible but still its a full rewrite and has a totally different network stack. Go read the code instead of wasting your time here.

Thank you for your support

americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 08:21:11 PM

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 08:25:39 PM

I guess i still have founder access on the irc channel like eizh asked me some time ago, to bad i dont have my freenode account anymore to hand it over.. it was and still is a toxic community i dont want to be part off Smiley Anyway it was fun mining them on AWS the first few weeks and i had a great last year after i got rid of them on the ~ 0.01 pump

Oh I have no doubt you were around mining, I kind of even remember that. I just don't remember you being a team member, but maybe I missed that. Not so important now anyway.

Nice trade BTW. I sold some too when the idiots pumped it on the Mentpal thing.

The crypto part is indeed based on bitcoin the keep it backward compatible but still its a full rewrite and has a totally different network stack. ]

So you have in fact confirmed that it is a "compete rewrite" and not reformatted code where attributions were removed?

That would go a long way toward disproving these rumors, if true.
rnicoll

Activity: 199
Merit: 110

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 08:38:29 PM

Define "uses". There's certainly structural similarities:

https://github.com/john-connor/vanillacoin/blob/master/src/key.cpp vs
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/0.9/src/key.cpp#L16

https://github.com/john-connor/vanillacoin/blob/master/src/utility.cpp vs https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/87f37e259d6deb52ee464edde7aece687eea97a5/src/main.cpp#L1094

https://github.com/john-connor/vanillacoin/blob/master/src/block.cpp#L301 vs https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/0.9/src/miner.cpp#L115

It's certainly no cleanroom implementation. IANAL, couldn't advise on whether that counts as use, though.

Dogecoin Core developer, ex-researcher, trader.

Unless stated otherwise, opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect that of other Dogecoin developers.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 08:41:44 PM

The question is not whether some parts are rewritten it is whether any parts are not.
x0rcist

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 08:44:08 PM

The question is not whether some parts are rewritten it is whether any parts are not.

I think the post of rnicoll answers this question better then mine
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: