Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:09:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it true that Vanillacoin uses the BTC code?  (Read 4514 times)
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 08:45:03 PM

That code is essentially identical, but reformatted, and far beyond an occasional duplicated line or two. Even the variable names are the same, same sentinel values used, etc. It is clearly a copy.

In stripping out the Bitcoin attribution I call this clear fraud.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Wheatclove

Activity: 606
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 08:56:25 PM

Copyright (c) 2009-2015 The Bitcoin Core developers

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

From Bitcoin^.
I'd call it copyright infringement.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 08:59:23 PM

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

From Bitcoin^.

It is copyright infringement.

It is also fraud to claim that you wrote all the code yourself when you did not.
rnicoll

Activity: 199
Merit: 110

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 09:04:40 PM

From Bitcoin^.

It is also fraud to claim that you wrote all the code yourself when you did not.

Yeah, claiming to have written all of it is clearly absurd, at least.

Dogecoin Core developer, ex-researcher, trader.

Unless stated otherwise, opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect that of other Dogecoin developers.
americanpegasus

Activity: 770

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 09:07:03 PM

Oh goodie.  The world of crypto was getting a little stale, despite the Ethereum launch.  

I need to start an online magazine, Electronic Currency Monthly.  This is too good.  

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
Rick Storm

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 09:36:20 PM

Comparing a sample piece of code it is clear that at least some of it is based on Bitcoin code:

From vanillacoin - https://github.com/john-connor/vanillacoin/blob/master/src/address_manager.cpp#L1315

Code:
     * Try to find an entry that can be erased.
     */
    for (auto it = bucket_new.begin(); it != bucket_new.end(); ++it)
    {
        assert(address_info_map_.count(*it));

auto & info = address_info_map_[*it];

if (info.is_terrible())
        {
            if (--info.reference_count == 0)
            {
                std::lock_guard<std::recursive_mutex> l1(mutex_random_ids_);

swap_random(
                    info.random_position,
                    static_cast<std::uint32_t> (random_ids_.size() - 1)
                );

random_ids_.pop_back();
                network_address_map_.erase(info.addr);
                address_info_map_.erase(*it);
                number_new_--;
            }

bucket_new.erase(it);

return;

From Bitcoin 0.9.2 in addrman.cpp:

Code:
    // first look for deletable items
    for (std::set<int>::iterator it = vNew.begin(); it != vNew.end(); it++)
    {
        assert(mapInfo.count(*it));
        CAddrInfo &info = mapInfo[*it];
        if (info.IsTerrible())
        {
            if (--info.nRefCount == 0)
            {
                SwapRandom(info.nRandomPos, vRandom.size()-1);
                vRandom.pop_back();
                mapAddr.erase(info);
                mapInfo.erase(*it);
                nNew--;
            }
            vNew.erase(it);
            return 0;
        }
    }

The above code from vanillacoin is based on bitcoin, albeit renamed, refactored, reformatted and re-commented at almost every possible occasion.

The algorithm is the same line by line and even the esoteric identifier name "IsTerrible"/"is_terrible" is used in both.

My guess is John started with a old bitcoin code base and refactored, renamed and recommented the code to a huge degree.

There has also been additions like the zerotime stuff which is not like anything in Bitcoin:

https://github.com/john-connor/vanillacoin/blob/master/src/zerotime.cpp

HCLivess (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1090

=== NODE IS OK! ==

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2015, 09:44:47 PM

Thank you, these are great and valuable inputs. I feel like in a court room  Grin

blobafett2

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 10:27:10 PM

From Bitcoin^.

Hi VNL community,

I did a tally of Smooth's attacks on his competitors today and notice him attacking VNL.

Attacking his competitors:

Dash thread: 26 posts (competing with the anon feature)
Vanilla threads: 20 posts (competing for Poloniex volume)
Bytecoin thread: 4 posts (competing "Anon coin")

Posting on his own threads:

AEON: 3 posts
Monero: 0 posts

Smooth's competitors attacking his coins on their threads:

Dash devs: 0 posts
Vanilla devs: 0 posts
Bytecoin devs: 0 posts

I made a thread to investigate Smooth after months of attacking his competitors and also attempting / succeeding to take over his competitors as developer,  please feel free to vote whether you think his actions are ethical / professional / not in conflict of interest.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1151565.0

americanpegasus

View Profile
August 12, 2015, 10:34:19 PM

Yes smooth,  stop your rampant cyber bullying on the "special" kids. 

Wink Grin 

But seriously, a currency which pitches itself as a world changing currency better be ready for some seriously harsh criticism. 

If your best response to allegations of fraud and plagiarism is "stop picking on me" you're gonna have a bad time.

Wheatclove

Activity: 606

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 01:49:10 AM

From Bitcoin^.

Hi VNL community,

I did a tally of Smooth's attacks on his competitors today and notice him attacking VNL.

I made a thread to investigate Smooth after months of attacking his competitors and also attempting / succeeding to take over his competitors as developer,  please feel free to vote whether you think his actions are ethical / professional / not in conflict of interest.

The only competitors to Monero are Shadowcash and Boolberry.

This isn't an attack on a competitor, it's bringing bad behavior into the light.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 05:55:16 AM
Last edit: May 16, 2016, 09:20:02 PM by smooth

There has also been additions like the zerotime stuff which is not like anything in Bitcoin:

I have no doubt that his completely new stuff like ZeroTime is not from bitcoin. The problem is that there is a lot of code that is from Bitcoin, and he refuses to comply with the copyright license terms and, claimed (and as far as I know still claims) that the coin was built from scratch in its entirety, which was and is a lie:

No, this is not a fork. It was built from scratch in it's entirety.

Note: quoted date is incorrect; correct date is 2014-12-15, 00:19:37

That kind of behavior is reprehensible and is a huge red flag. If he's lying about that what else is he lying about, or willing to lie about?

Quoting the supporting evidence below (only one example, others have been cited elsewhere), because I am going to link this post when I give negative trust to jc.

That code is essentially identical, but reformatted, and far beyond an occasional duplicated line or two. Even the variable names are the same, same sentinel values used, etc. It is clearly a copy.

In stripping out the Bitcoin attribution I call this clear fraud.

EDIT: posted below, showing VNL code inheriting bugs from the Bitcoin code that was copied/reformatted. Pathetic

Oh, he'll want to fix some of the inherited bugs:

https://github.com/john-connor/vanillacoin/blob/51c6960b2a14ffbf67af19aefac6291768e1ffbc/include/coin/address_manager.hpp#L120

corresponds to

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/0.9/src/addrman.cpp#L12

but not

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/0.10/src/addrman.cpp#L13

I presume for someone who is apparently smarter than the entire Bitcoin development team put together, understanding why and updating the code accordingly will be trivial.

EDIT (2015-09-21): More evidence quoted below

Comparing a sample piece of code it is clear that at least some of it is based on Bitcoin code:

From vanillacoin - https://github.com/john-connor/vanillacoin/blob/master/src/address_manager.cpp#L1315

Code:
     * Try to find an entry that can be erased.
     */
    for (auto it = bucket_new.begin(); it != bucket_new.end(); ++it)
    {
        assert(address_info_map_.count(*it));

auto & info = address_info_map_[*it];

if (info.is_terrible())
        {
            if (--info.reference_count == 0)
            {
                std::lock_guard<std::recursive_mutex> l1(mutex_random_ids_);

swap_random(
                    info.random_position,
                    static_cast<std::uint32_t> (random_ids_.size() - 1)
                );

random_ids_.pop_back();
                network_address_map_.erase(info.addr);
                address_info_map_.erase(*it);
                number_new_--;
            }

bucket_new.erase(it);

return;

From Bitcoin 0.9.2 in addrman.cpp:

Code:
    // first look for deletable items
    for (std::set<int>::iterator it = vNew.begin(); it != vNew.end(); it++)
    {
        assert(mapInfo.count(*it));
        CAddrInfo &info = mapInfo[*it];
        if (info.IsTerrible())
        {
            if (--info.nRefCount == 0)
            {
                SwapRandom(info.nRandomPos, vRandom.size()-1);
                vRandom.pop_back();
                mapAddr.erase(info);
                mapInfo.erase(*it);
                nNew--;
            }
            vNew.erase(it);
            return 0;
        }
    }

The above code from vanillacoin is based on bitcoin, albeit renamed, refactored, reformatted and re-commented at almost every possible occasion.

The algorithm is the same line by line and even the esoteric identifier name "IsTerrible"/"is_terrible" is used in both.

My guess is John started with a old bitcoin code base and refactored, renamed and recommented the code to a huge degree.

https://github.com/john-connor/vanillacoin/blob/master/src/zerotime.cpp

Thanks for that.

Adding “#L34” to the vnl URI nails it for me:

Code:
int EC_KEY_regenerate_key(EC_KEY * eckey, BIGNUM * priv_key)
{
    int ok = 0;

BN_CTX * ctx = 0;
    EC_POINT * pub_key = 0;

if (eckey == 0)
    {
        return 0;
    }

const EC_GROUP * group = EC_KEY_get0_group(eckey);

if ((ctx = BN_CTX_new()) == 0)
    {
        goto err;
    }

pub_key = EC_POINT_new(group);

if (pub_key == 0)
    {
        goto err;
    }

Code:
int EC_KEY_regenerate_key(EC_KEY *eckey, BIGNUM *priv_key)
{
    int ok = 0;
    BN_CTX *ctx = NULL;
    EC_POINT *pub_key = NULL;

if (!eckey) return 0;

const EC_GROUP *group = EC_KEY_get0_group(eckey);

if ((ctx = BN_CTX_new()) == NULL)
        goto err;

pub_key = EC_POINT_new(group);

if (pub_key == NULL)
        goto err;

That's a lot more than just a structural similarity.

It’s hard for me to see this as anything other than incontrovertible evidence of the author having a naively self-centred perspective on intellectual property rights, broadly translatable as “what’s yours is mine and what’s mine’s my own”.

More tellingly, it's also hard to reconcile this evident difficulty in critical thinking with any kind of work in the area of cryptography, notorious for its relentlessly stern demands of cognitive sophistication in its proponents.

Stand back a few yards and the picture becomes somewhat clearer. I've not even bothered looking at vnl, being confident that it’s just another variant of the “misunderstood but brilliant maverick outsider, wronged by a complacent community” media narrative and all the posturing is entirely consistent, even the expedient arrogation of others’ work. Given the evidence in the codebase, I'm reassured that my confidence is not misplaced, although I do have to admit that his choice of pseudonym is a bit of a give-away in and of itself.

Cheers

Graham

EDIT: 2015-09-29 additional comments from Rick Storm (quoted above)

There are many places where Vanillacoin copied Bitcoin code. I have pointed out a good example previously, it won't be hard to find dozens more.

There's nothing wrong with copying and modifying the Bitcoin code, the MIT license allows you to do with it what you like, it just ask you not to be a scumbag and remove attribution and pretend you wrote the code in the first instance.

FWIW, I politely reported the copyright violation (the code being a copy of Bitcoin Core run through an auto-formatter with all the attribution removed) as an issue on the github for the project and john-connor accused me of stalking him and then hid the issue tracker on that github from public view. :-/

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised as it's consistent with the rest of the concerns that resulted in creating this thread-- that there is some ongoing effort to keep that work out of the sunlight.

americanpegasus

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 06:16:06 AM

Well, it's not like we haven't seen this movie before smooth.  

Has he released the source, the real source?  

It should be obvious what comes next.  There *is* a need for a "zerotime" currency, but the issue remains: is this a valid implementation of it?  

So a code review needs to be done to see if this is even a workable solution to the problem.  Is the threat of double spend with john's code acceptable for a $3 latte?  If so, this code has merit.  If the threat of double spend isn't worth it, then we will keep looking for a true "zerotime" implementation.  

10 If CheckCode(Vanillacoin) = 1 then goto 30 else goto 20
20 end
30 Let Credits = Vanillacoin  
40 Develop(Credits)  
50 Promote (Credits)

HCLivess (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1090

=== NODE IS OK! ==

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2015, 06:39:35 AM

Can you stop promoting monero in this thread? I have a feeling that you all bought it because of Ryan Pumper and then he made a buck on you.

rnicoll

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 06:46:19 AM

Can you stop promoting monero in this thread? I have a feeling that you all bought it because of Ryan Pumper and then he made a buck on you.

Agreed; there's value in pointing out issues with claims made, but muddling it up with promotion of other coins basically undermines the whole message.

Unless stated otherwise, opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect that of other Dogecoin developers.
boolberry

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 06:51:56 AM

From Bitcoin^.

Hi VNL community,

I made a thread to investigate Smooth after months of attacking his competitors and also attempting / succeeding to take over his competitors as developer,  please feel free to vote whether you think his actions are ethical / professional / not in conflict of interest.

The only competitors to Monero are Shadowcash and Boolberry.

This isn't an attack on a competitor, it's bringing bad behavior into the light.

While I agree that the number of legitimate anonymous projects are small in number it could be argued that there are more than the three you mentioned.

Unfortunately aside from technical limitations of some other projects fraud continues to runs rampant. I think bringing light to legitimate fraud claims is a good thing as it could save potential investors a lot of time and money so we agree on that point.
TPTB_need_war

Activity: 420
Merit: 257

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 08:20:59 AM
Last edit: August 13, 2015, 08:32:28 AM by TPTB_need_war

Gmaxwell reported these issues back in January apparently:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=920344.0

It should be obvious what comes next.  There *is* a need for a "zerotime" currency, but the issue remains: is this a valid implementation of it?  

So a code review needs to be done to see if this is even a workable solution to the problem.  Is the threat of double spend with john's code acceptable for a $3 latte?  If so, this code has merit.  If the threat of double spend isn't worth it, then we will keep looking for a true "zerotime" implementation.  

We should not have to reverse engineer code to check whether a design has merit. The white paper should contain sufficiently detailed descriptions and math to convince the technical readers. His white papers don't[1].

[1]https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1149219.msg12111463#msg12111463
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1148745.msg12111401#msg12111401
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1149219.msg12111694#msg12111694

I can't yet determine whether john-conner is an intentional scammer or just a person who believes his capabilities are greater than they really are:

Hal Finney was the first to point out the 0 confirmation double spend attack. And it's named the 'Finney Attack' in his honour.

I think it's safe to say with absolutely certainty that he is not Hal Finney.

And the fact that he would claim this was his own doing is extremely concerning and I'd advise people to be suspicious of someone making these sorts of claims that are both without evidence, and impossible anyway.

But it doesn't matter. Bottom line is stay away unless you enjoy losing your money.

He clearly has some technical knowledge.

TPTB_need_war

Activity: 420
Merit: 257

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 08:38:58 AM

I only feel sorry for weak people. And mostly what I've come to find is that the weak people are the ones that are the haters.

john-conner makes a sockpuppet.

We are not hating. Learn how to write a white paper properly so you don't waste our time. We will support that which is proven and fully described.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 08:46:11 AM

Learn how to write a white paper properly so you don't waste our time. We will support that which is proven and fully described.

And while you are at it stop ripping off Bitcoin's code, removing attributions, and passing it off as your own work "built from scratch in it's entirety"

EDIT: ^ directed at j-c not TPTB
rnicoll

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 10:37:29 AM

Oh, he'll want to fix some of the inherited bugs:

https://github.com/john-connor/vanillacoin/blob/51c6960b2a14ffbf67af19aefac6291768e1ffbc/include/coin/address_manager.hpp#L120

corresponds to

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/0.9/src/addrman.cpp#L12

but not

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/0.10/src/addrman.cpp#L13

I presume for someone who is apparently smarter than the entire Bitcoin development team put together, understanding why and updating the code accordingly will be trivial.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 10:48:51 AM
Last edit: August 13, 2015, 11:46:19 AM by smooth

Oh, he'll want to fix some of the inherited bugs

"built from scratch in it's entirety"

Scammer: confirmed.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print