Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:40:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Is Smooth unethical / unprofessional / in conflict-of-interest when he posts 100s of the same repeated scam accusations on his competitor's threads on a daily basis.
Yes - Because if his attacks succeed against his competitors, his own coin/investment will benefit, he has a vested interest - 99 (54.1%)
No - there is no conflict of interest when a coin dev repeatedly accuses his competitors of being scams on their threads. - 51 (27.9%)
None of the above - 33 (18%)
Total Voters: 183

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: XMR/AEON Developer Smooth Investigation  (Read 20920 times)
blobafett2 (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 12:46:31 PM

For those of you wondering, this is the penalty for anyone who continually points out the flaws in flawed currencies like Dash, Bytecoin, and VanillaCoin.  

So if you don't want to be character assassinated, please don't point out the gaping flaws in the ethics, launches, and distributions of scams that exist only to enrich those who got in early at your expense.  

Again, the mods need to delete this topic.  It serves no purpose but to cause issues in the community.

Can I just ask, did you acquire any AEON yet Pegasus?  Smooth did, at least 2.5% just in donations according to the AEON thread.  Although I guess, if you just read the XMR thread, no way you could know that.

AEON market cap: $ 141,584
XMR market cap:  $ 4,201,966

AEON volume on Bittrex: $ 1,404
XMR volume on Bittrex: $ 943

Smooth's commits on AEON: 43 commits
Smooth's commits on XMR: 9 commits

Smooth's latest position on GUI with AEON hat on:

is a gui wallet for this coin? something with a regular interface
Coming soon. You could probably get some of the third party Monero wallets to work, since the APIs are similar or identical.

Smooth's latest position on GUI with XMR hat on:

...Is your wallet supposed to look like just command lines? ...
You can try lightWallet if you want a GUI and a full node. There is a convenient torrent with pre-synced blockchain here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=583449.msg10559092#msg10559092

You will need a minimum of 4 GB of RAM and 6-8 GB is better. If you don't have that you can't run a node yet, but the upcoming DB version will fix that.

Both coins claiming the same features:

- True anonymity & data protection
- Untraceable payments uses ring signature
- Unlinkable transactions with random data by the sender
- Blockchain analysis resistant
- CPU/GPU mining, ASIC-resistant

So just running a few scenarios...what happens as AEON grows now, with all the work Smooth is doing bringing in Monero an BBR features, and the market cap starts to approach $1 million (or 25% of XMR's).  I guess that will be new money, no other investment from the XMR community, so there is no conflict with XMR?  

I guess none of us know what Smooth is really doing right? - maybe he now has 50/50 of his holdings in both XMR / AEON.  Or maybe he dumped XMR or will do in future, or maybe the other way around.  With the lack of any confirmed information, or even a hint from the inside, no way for us to know.

One thing is sure, if AEON gets to $1 million market cap in the near future, Smooth's 2.5% of AEON will be worth $25,000.  If AEON can reach XMR's market cap, that's a cool $100,000 just from donations he received (plus anything he bought along the way).   I wonder what he will do if he is in that position with $100k+ AEON?  Keep it for the 'long haul'? Dump it and buy XMR?  Run off with the BTC?  Buy another coin?

Without any official responses or disclosure to any of this, I guess we have to speculate for the info in threads like this in the backstreets of BCT  Roll Eyes

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
traumschiff
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1001

180 BPM

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 12:52:29 PM

For those of you wondering, this is the penalty for anyone who continually points out the flaws in flawed currencies like Dash, Bytecoin, and VanillaCoin.  

So if you don't want to be character assassinated, please don't point out the gaping flaws in the ethics, launches, and distributions of scams that exist only to enrich those who got in early at your expense.  

Again, the mods need to delete this topic.  It serves no purpose but to cause issues in the community.

Can I just ask, did you acquire any AEON yet Pegasus?  Smooth did, at least 2.5% just in donations according to the AEON thread.  Although I guess, if you just read the XMR thread, no way you could know that.

AEON market cap: $ 141,584
XMR market cap:  $ 4,201,966

AEON volume on Bittrex: $ 1,404
XMR volume on Bittrex: $ 943

Smooth's commits on AEON: 43 commits
Smooth's commits on XMR: 9 commits

Smooth's latest position on GUI with AEON hat on:

is a gui wallet for this coin? something with a regular interface
Coming soon. You could probably get some of the third party Monero wallets to work, since the APIs are similar or identical.

Smooth's latest position on GUI with XMR hat on:

...Is your wallet supposed to look like just command lines? ...
You can try lightWallet if you want a GUI and a full node. There is a convenient torrent with pre-synced blockchain here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=583449.msg10559092#msg10559092

You will need a minimum of 4 GB of RAM and 6-8 GB is better. If you don't have that you can't run a node yet, but the upcoming DB version will fix that.

Both coins claiming the same features:

- True anonymity & data protection
- Untraceable payments uses ring signature
- Unlinkable transactions with random data by the sender
- Blockchain analysis resistant
- CPU/GPU mining, ASIC-resistant

So just running a few scenarios...what happens as AEON grows now, with all the work Smooth is doing bringing in Monero an BBR features, and the market cap starts to approach $1 million (or 25% of XMR's).  I guess that will be new money, no investment from the XMR community, so there is no conflict with XMR?  

I guess none of us know what Smooth is really doing right? - maybe he now has 50/50 of his holdings in both XMR / AEON.  Or maybe he dumped XMR or will do in future, or maybe the other way around.  With the lack of any confirmed information, or even a hint from the inside, no way for us to know.

One thing is sure, if AEON gets to $1 million market cap in the near future, Smooth's 2.5% of AEON will be worth $25,000.  If AEON can reach XMR's market cap, that's a cool $100,000 just from donations he received (personally I am assuming he has purchased some too at the initial low price given the amount of time he is spending on AEON).   I wonder what he will do if he is in that position with $100k AEON?  Keep it for the 'long haul'? Dump it and buy XMR?  Run off with the BTC?  Buy another coin?

Without any official responses or disclosure to any of this, I guess we have to ask for the info in threads like this in the backstreets of BCT, and i'm not even invested in any of his schemes  Roll Eyes

I like the part where the AEON OP claims the following:

AEON coin is the next generation of anonymous cryptocurrency.

No wallet gui: check
No precompiled miner: check
No features: check
Fork: check

AOEN is fair coin.

Yeah, fair, only  users can mine it who can compile it because there is nothing precompiled for windows. Also fair because...?

Mobile-friendly PoW and block time (released)

This is a released feature?

And meanwhile smooth spends 90% of his time bashing on different project threads and neither does coding for Monero nor anything valuable for AEON.

Wait there is more: he is on a quest to save people from shitcoins according to his sig while building his own pointless shitcoin

TPTB_need_war

Activity: 420
Merit: 262

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 12:58:25 PM

$100,000 is chump change. I earned that in 2 months (inflation-adjusted) in 2001.

I believe these guys have a lot more money than that and they are dabbling with small amounts of their money in projects they think might have large potential.

They are trying to find the next home run, while holding a core, large position in BTC. Their Monero holdings are even smaller than their BTC holdings (or at least it was before Gavincoin was on the threat horizon).

I believe if they see superior technology and market momentum, they will quickly be joining that camp.

These guys are trying to figure out how to expand the pie beyond the limited scope of bitcointalk.org. They are experimenting and trying to find the killer combination.

I am also experimenting.

Personally I am not interested in attacking Dash. The masternode concept is fundamentally flawed because it is not autonomous. It violates the end-to-end principle. But if people want an inferior system for speculative frenzy reasons (or what ever reasons they have), then who I am to tell them what to do?

Smooth already created a thread which details the alleged instamine for Darkcoin. He provided a disclaimer there acknowledging his conflict-of-interest. I wasn't even aware of that until I read smooth's thread.

Again I would suggest to smooth to back off of attacking Dash. Nothing more will be gained from that and it is counter productive. The way you help is by educating n00bs in your own site and threads. And that doesn't need to be an attack on Dash. Simply explaining why autonomy is important and why CoinJoin (and other off chain anonymity such as CoinShuffle) is not autonomous and can never be.

To your credit, I ack that the vote here should indicate to smooth the counter vailing forces to excessive attacking. You don't go against a large community. That is like shooting yourself in the foot.

Also I hear you guys about being more about coding than talking. Hear here. I will definitely internalize that wisdom.

One of the reasons I liked Evan was he was (as far as I knew) a non-anonymous guy coding and creating his own coin while being very chatty with the forum. I figured he was sincere. I am surprised to read about the alleged instamine.

blobafett2 (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 01:10:48 PM
Last edit: August 13, 2015, 02:14:10 PM by blobafett2

$100,000 is chump change. I earned that in 2 months (inflation-adjusted) in 2001.

I believe these guys have a lot more money than that and they are dabbling with small amounts of their money in projects they think might have large potential.

They are trying to find the next home run, while holding a core, large position in BTC. Their Monero holdings are even smaller than their BTC holdings (or at least it was before Gavincoin was on the threat horizon).

I believe if they see superior technology and market momentum, they will quickly be joining that camp.

These guys are trying to figure out how to expand the pie beyond the limited scope of bitcointalk.org. They are experimenting and trying to find the killer combination.

I am also experimenting.

Personally I am not interested in attacking Dash. The masternode concept is fundamentally flawed because it is not autonomous. It violates the end-to-end principle. But if people want an inferior system for speculative frenzy reasons (or what ever reasons they have), then who I am to tell them what to do?

Smooth already created a thread which details the alleged instamine for Darkcoin. He provided a disclaimer there acknowledging his conflict-of-interest. I wasn't even aware of that until I read smooth's thread.

Again I would suggest to smooth to back off of attacking Dash. Nothing more will be gained from that and it is counter productive. The way you help is by educating n00bs in your own site and threads. And that doesn't need to be an attack on Dash. Simply explaining why autonomy is important and why CoinJoin (and other off chain anonymity such as CoinShuffle) is not autonomous and can never be.

To your credit, I ack that the vote here should indicate to smooth the counter vailing forces to excessive attacking. You don't go against a large community. That is like shooting yourself in the foot.

Also I hear you guys about being more about coding than talking. Hear here. I will definitely internalize that wisdom.

Quite an honest post, and I hadn't considered that full scenario, but it makes sense, just from the fact that Smooth appears to be a 24/7 operation on BCT without needing a day job, and how he flits around different coins.  If it's true, it's a good way to hedge their bets, but again for the investors not "in the know" who invest in one or another of his coins while they are 'experimenting', I don't think it sounds like a very good deal.

I (unsurprisingly) disagree about masternodes - segmenting the Bitcoin network topology into multi-tiers that can be incetivized and used to build apps & services on top (integrated mixing being the first service, instant transactions another, blockchain funded development / governance being the next) - fixes a major gap / missed opportunity in Bitcoin's architecture and this model, coupled with my confidence in the professionalism & ethics of the dev team and their consistent delivery performance, is the reason I invest in Dash - just to state that, and just my opinion.

TPTB_need_war

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 02:15:23 PM

I (unsurprisingly) disagree about masternodes - segmenting the Bitcoin network topology into multi-tiers that can be incetivized and used to build apps & services on top (integrated mixing being the first service, instant transactions another, blockchain funded development / governance being the next) - fixes a major gap / missed opportunity in Bitcoin's architecture and, coupled with my confidence in the professionalism & ethics of the dev team and their consistent delivery performance, is the reason I invest in Dash - just to state that, and just my opinion.

I have not looked at that feature.

It will be very counter productive to try to convince Dash supporters who believe in such features that they are wrong.

I'd rather expend the effort trying to grow some new features and markets.

Attacking each other won't reach our goal of spreading cryptocurrency.

I believe smooth was very focused on how scams can detract from altcoins. But also we have to balance that against no one here was anointed the "altcoin police". In the case of VanillaCoin, there wasn't yet a large community and so I felt safe to point out that its main feature doesn't seem to be backed by the white paper. I am done commenting about VanillaCoin. People are free to make their own decisions with their money. I am making some comments today about ShadowCoin vs. Monero, because that is Cryptonote which is very relevant to the work I am doing, so I wanted to express my expertise in that area.

You Dash supporters go do what you like. If ever you like something I am working on, then great. If not, we'll just see what the market decides after all.

Peace.

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 02:18:10 PM

I believe smooth was very focused on how scams can detract from altcoins. But also we have to balance that against no one here was anointed the "altcoin police".

Policing implies authority, of which none is claimed, so that meme is quite irrelevant. Stating an opinion is something else. While there will always be a vocal subset of the audience who aggressively oppose an opinion contrary to their interests, they are not the audience of interest.

oaxaca

Activity: 671
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 02:30:38 PM

...Smooth has been trying to follow the various frauds alleged and so went over to the thread (perhaps out of boredom?) to follow up on...

This point is obviously misleading or wrong or both.  Smooth has been posting sometimes dozens, sometimes only a few posts every day on that thread.  For many months.  That is not a casual "oh, let's see what's happening on another thread".  That is a dedicated, full time mischief maker gone amok.
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 02:30:53 PM
Last edit: August 13, 2015, 03:23:09 PM by TPTB_need_war

I believe smooth was very focused on how scams can detract from altcoins. But also we have to balance that against no one here was anointed the "altcoin police".

Policing implies authority, of which none is claimed, so that meme is quite irrelevant. Stating an opinion is something else. While there will always be a vocal subset of the audience who aggressively oppose an opinion contrary to their interests, they are not the audience of interest.

Of course you are free to continue expressing your opinion. And I wasn't faulting you for wanting to help educate or clarify.

But it I think carries a heavy price to try to persuade in a thread where a lot of the community there is already enamored with the feature set or the vision for the coin.

Humans are much more likely to associate you with being some authoritarian force than a force of reason and help.

Our goal needs to be how to spread cryptocurrency out to more people, not how to divide the spoils of those few people who land on bitcointalk.org.

With anonymity, our goal should be about preparing for the coming stampede into private assets starting next summer or so.

Let me give you an example. Right now if you want to communicate anonymously there is only one app that can maybe do it correctly. Bitmessage. Nothing and nothing else out there can even get close to giving you anonymity (which is not the same as encryption). And Bitmessage sucks! Sucks! Sucks!

That is a huge untapped market. And I very, very, very much doubt ShadowCoin has cracked that nut correctly or even with a well documented open protocol that many people can create clients for. Edit: apparently ShadowChat appears to be a Bitmessage-like clone but doesn't document anti-spam and scaling issues.

We need to get busy. There is so much coding and work to do.

Okay I end here. I consider smooth to be an upstanding person. I hope he can help to push us forward on innovations. Dash is small potatoes. Let's shoot big.

TPTB_need_war

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 02:33:06 PM

...Smooth has been trying to follow the various frauds alleged and so went over to the thread (perhaps out of boredom?) to follow up on...

This point is obviously misleading or wrong or both.  Smooth has been posting sometimes dozens, sometimes only a few posts every day on that thread.  For many months.  That is not a casual "oh, let's see what's happening on another thread".  That is a dedicated, full time mischief maker gone amok.

These forums can become quite addictive. Look at me. Didn't I say I was going to code today  Embarrassed

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 02:33:38 PM

Of course you are free to continue expressing your opinion. And I wasn't faulting you for wanting to help educate or clarify.

But it I think carries a heavy price to try to persuade in a thread where a lot of the community there is already enamored with the feature set or the vision for the coin.

You assume motive: persuasion.

Humans are much more likely to associate you with being some authoritarian force than a force of reason and help.

Our goal needs to be how to spread cryptocurrency out to more people, not how to divide the spoils of those few people who land on bitcointalk.org.

And again,  you assume motive: dividing spoils.

Dash is small potatoes. Let's shoot big.

On this and the most if not all of the snipped portions, we agree.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 02:34:44 PM

Smooth has been posting sometimes dozens, sometimes only a few posts every day on that thread.  For many months.

This is a lie or an error, I do not know which. Therefore, of course, your conclusions can not follow from a false premise.
oaxaca

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 02:35:46 PM

It will be very counter productive to try to convince Dash supporters who believe in such features that they are wrong.

I'd rather expend the effort trying to grow some new features and markets.

Seriously?  New features bad and new features good?

Attacking each other won't reach our goal of spreading cryptocurrency.

Then stop with your "they are wrong" stuff.

sheesh.
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 02:38:16 PM

And again,  you assume motive: dividing spoils.

I wasn't trying to insinuate that is your motive. I mean that is the way you may be perceived.

And to me, that is not worth the gain in educating a few of their readers with my logic because of how it will cause them to never, ever, ever invest in my work in the future. I mean it will create an animosity for very little gain.

I'd much rather be off trying to figure out how to tap some new market.

I realize I did create some animosity in the past most against "Bitards" but this was because they were attacking me every time I tried to interject some doubts about the true nature of Bitcoin, etc.. But by now, I realized better to go do my own thing and make action. I stopped commenting in those Bitcoin threads.

oaxaca

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 02:40:56 PM

Smooth has been posting sometimes dozens, sometimes only a few posts every day on that thread.  For many months.

This is a lie or an error, I do not know which. Therefore, of course, your conclusions can not follow from a false premise.

Here is a simple research tool.

It's on every page of this forum.  If you type in the word "smooth" on that thread, I think you'll validate my assertion.
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 02:43:12 PM
Last edit: August 13, 2015, 03:23:39 PM by TPTB_need_war

sheesh.

Who is wrong?

Masternodes are not autonomous anonymity. I have no comment about other bells and whistles implemented with masternodes. Haven't studied those new features.

I stand by my comment that there is absolutely no details in the white paper for VanillaCoin. The claimed methodology is documented by research not to achieve Byzantine consensus.

I stand by my comments today about ShadowCoin that is appears to be a Cryptonote clone with some claimed extra features which don't have documented anonymity Edit: apparently ShadowChat appears to be a Bitmessage-like clone but doesn't document anti-spam and scaling issues.

Could you please clarify which of my statements is opinion and not fact?

Edit: I have just been sent the full white paper on VNL's zerotime. So I will need to read that now.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 02:51:53 PM

Here is a simple research tool.

It's on every page of this forum.  If you type in the word "smooth" on that thread, I think you'll validate my assertion.

Please identify the posts you claim to exist "every day" between August 2 and August 6, as well as between May (!) 19 and July 20.

None have been deleted by me, nor do I recall many if any relevant forum mod deletions.

These time periods are not intended to be a full accounting of counterexamples to your claim within the period of "many months."

I still do not know, lie or error.
oaxaca

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 02:53:11 PM

sheesh.

Who is wrong?

Masternodes are not autonomous anonymity. I have no comment about other bells and whistles implemented with masternodes. Haven't studied those new features.

blobafett2 claims (quite rightly) that masternodes are simply incentivized full nodes that provide extra functionality.  One of these functions is mixing.  Nowhere did he say that masternodes ARE autonomous anonymity.

I (unsurprisingly) disagree about masternodes - segmenting the Bitcoin network topology into multi-tiers that can be incetivized and used to build apps & services on top (integrated mixing being the first service, instant transactions another, blockchain funded development / governance being the next) - fixes a major gap / missed opportunity in Bitcoin's architecture and, coupled with my confidence in the professionalism & ethics of the dev team and their consistent delivery performance, is the reason I invest in Dash - just to state that, and just my opinion.

minersday

Activity: 1484
Merit: 535

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 03:23:20 PM

I would REALLY ask myself, why two different coins?

Why wouldn't I just focus my efforts on one coin and make it the best out there?

TPTB_need_war

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 03:26:21 PM

sheesh.

Who is wrong?

blobafett2 claims (quite rightly) that masternodes are simply incentivized full nodes that provide extra functionality.  One of these functions is mixing.  Nowhere did he say that masternodes ARE autonomous anonymity.

But I never said they are wrong. So why did you tell me to stop with "they are wrong"?

P.S. Masternodes have a complex description and I am not sure any of us entirely understand them. Last time I checked they were things you could buy. That changes the economics. They are not nodes paid with proof-of-work shares. I don't even have time to go analyze such an adhoc design (with copious tweaks to their meaning and functionality along the way I assume) and try to characterize what they really are formally.

In computer science we understand adhoc design = no design or flying blind.

blobafett2 (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 03:27:57 PM

I would REALLY ask myself, why two different coins?

Why wouldn't I just focus my efforts on one coin and make it the best out there?

My suspicion is that AEON represents nice upside - it has only ~2% of Monero's market cap, but 99% of it's released features.  Using his reputation and position as a Monero core dev, quite easy for Smooth to start building up AEON, and with the lack of any real difference to the feature set from Monero, and with Moneo's own dev working 5x more on Aeon than Monero, AEON suddenly becomes an attractive buy and up goes the market cap....and Smooth was in, quietly (until I started pointing out), at the start.  Of course, just my opinion.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: