Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:59:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Thai Baht (฿) has always been the most frequently used Bitcoin symbol right?  (Read 30399 times)
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 01:57:07 AM

ß
It's not "Sitcoin", it's Bitcoin.

฿
Bitcoin is not a baht.

Ƀ
Okay. The only beef I have with this is that it looks nothing like the most commonly used symbol.

Б
Unusual and confusing for Russian speakers. We don't use "B" as a Bitcoin symbol, so using a Cyrillic version of it is not justified.

Ъ
There is no "B" in this symbol.

Ѣ
Okay, but does not look like a "B".
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
deadserious

Activity: 121
Merit: 102

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 02:24:23 AM

I honestly don't get the problem with using the Thai Baht (฿).

The resuse confusion argument holds no water given with how many times the dollar sign ($) is reused.
dree12
Legendary

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 03:10:37 AM

The resuse confusion argument holds no water given with how many times the dollar sign ($) is reused.
Then I suppose if we use the $ sign for Bitcoin, we'll fit right in?
teknohog

Activity: 519
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2012, 06:11:20 AM

To me that looks like the Greek letter Beta, which is just a "b" in pronunciation.

It might also be the German Eszett, but good fonts usually make the difference clear. It is a combination of a long s (like the integral sign) and short s (our usual s), and knowing this makes it easy to spot the difference. Of course, many basic fonts use beta for both, and we can only tell from context which one is intended.

world famous math art | masternodes are bad, mmmkay?
Every sha(sha(sha(sha()))), every ho-o-o-old, still shines
helloworld

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 06:43:27 AM

this one is my personal favorite for bitcoin symbol. It even looks like a coin.
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/24b7/index.htm

B⃦⃝ :p
I believe the B in circle is a compatibility character and is deprecated. B⃝  is displayed identically and should be used instead.

A dumb question perhaps, but is the lowercase version also deprecated? ⓑ
Hasimir

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2012, 06:47:56 AM

this one is my personal favorite for bitcoin symbol. It even looks like a coin.
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/24b7/index.htm

B⃦⃝ :p

Now here's a weird thing.  You're obviously using three code points this time and my system successfully places the circle around the second code point, but that second code point is still a box with the hex code in it.  So it supports doubling, just not with the double-stroke you're normally pushing.

OpenPGP/GPG key: 0x321E4E2373590E5D  I provide GPG Training services
IRC nick: Hasimir (Freenode and elsewhere)
BTC address: 19hiwsQq7xMAEyQMdiyGjkMGNmpN6GA5wL
Hasimir

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2012, 07:54:58 AM
Last edit: October 11, 2012, 10:26:40 AM by Hasimir

Unicode is indeed a strange and weird beast ...

So I wandered off and found a TTF which supports U+20E6 (Code2000) and install it.  After doing so all my other fonts "miraculously" start supporting that character.  *Sigh*.

So even though Firefox doesn't use Code2000, it now displays the official sign correctly.  For those interested, the version I installed is here.

Edit: Firefox is still not displaying it correctly, but Code2000 does make it work in Emacs and LibreOffice, which is good enough for most of my use.

Yuhfhrh

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 09:48:44 AM

Ƀ

I like this one.
dree12
Legendary

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 11:51:07 AM

To me that looks like the Greek letter Beta, which is just a "b" in pronunciation.

It might also be the German Eszett, but good fonts usually make the difference clear. It is a combination of a long s (like the integral sign) and short s (our usual s), and knowing this makes it easy to spot the difference. Of course, many basic fonts use beta for both, and we can only tell from context which one is intended.
It's a sharp s (i.e. eszett).
deadserious

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 03:06:18 PM

Sure.  But the Baht is only used for once currency now, the dollar sign is used by 15 or so.  Seems to make more sense to give the Baht a second one than the Dollar a sixteenth.
Blind

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 04:21:46 PM

Sure.  But the Baht is only used for once currency now, the dollar sign is used by 15 or so.  Seems to make more sense to give the Baht a second one than the Dollar a sixteenth.

With no offece to Thais, who cares about Thailand? That country is so insignificant in global scale, that I don't think adopting their currency symbol would cause any harm or confusion, if anything, they should be proud that their symbol was chosen to represent Bitcoin. If reuse of $ in handful of other countries is not a problem for dollar, why all of a sudden it's a problem for Bitcoin? The reason I support ฿ is simply because it works right now for everyone, everywhere (web, apps, text). Hard to grasp why people are inventing and pushing for solutions that don't work for 97% of users or look like shit (hey Ⓑ), or look nothing like bitcoin (ß Б Ъ Ѣ).

Alternatively, support decentralization, choose what the fuck you want.

Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem. -- Ronald Reagan
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4340
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 07:34:13 PM

So I wandered off and found a TTF which supports U+20E6 (Code2000) and install it.  After doing so all my other fonts "miraculously" start supporting that character.  *Sigh*.
No they don't. It's just that whenever your computer tries to display a character that is not present in the selected font, it'll try to substitue a font that does have the character (if you actually have such a font installed). Note that a substitute font is only needed for the combining double vertical stroke, so the B will still be displayed in the original font, though the two characters might not align correctly in that case.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
FLHippy

Activity: 784
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 08:01:55 PM

With no offece to Thais, who cares about Thailand? That country is so insignificant in global scale, that I don't think adopting their currency symbol would cause any harm or confusion,

I care about Thais, they have good hookers and food. It would cause me considerable harm and confusion when paying for said food and hookers.

While I realize the following statement is a troll... and perhaps your comment was also a troll.... Allow me to change a couple words...

Lets use the cross † as the bitcoin symbol. Who cares about christians? That religion is so insignificant on a global scale that I don't think adopting their symbol of faith would cause any harm or confusion.

WHALES HEAVEN
Custody-free Swapping Platform
◈  ────────  Reddit ⬝  BountyWebsiteTelegramTwitterGitHub  ────────  ◈
deadserious

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 08:14:34 PM

Lets use the cross † as the bitcoin symbol. Who cares about christians? That religion is so insignificant on a global scale that I don't think adopting their symbol of faith would cause any harm or confusion.

The Baht is a religious symbol?
dree12
Legendary

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 08:37:40 PM

The ignorance in this thread is appalling.

What many fail to realize is the severity of using the baht sign to represent Bitcoin. Canadian law is not Thai law, but it has to be pretty similar:
Section 74.05 of the Competition Act is a civil provision. It prohibits the sale or rent of a product at a price higher than its advertised price. The provision does not apply if the advertised price was a mistake and the error was immediately corrected.

If a court determines that a person has engaged in conduct contrary to section 74.05, it may order the person not to engage in such conduct, to publish a corrective notice and/or to pay an administrative monetary penalty of up to $750,000 in the case of a first time occurrence by an individual and $10,000,000 in the case of a first time occurrence by a corporation. For subsequent orders, the penalties increase to a maximum of $1,000,000 in the case of an individual and $15,000,000 in the case of a corporation.

The advertised prices may indeed be mistakes, as the business had not intended to sell the items at a bargain price. However, unless these errors are corrected as soon as someone complains, huge fines can result.
Atlas (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 08:42:06 PM

What many fail to realize is the severity of using the baht sign to represent Bitcoin. Canadian law is not Thai law, but it has to be pretty similar:
Section 74.05 of the Competition Act is a civil provision. It prohibits the sale or rent of a product at a price higher than its advertised price. The provision does not apply if the advertised price was a mistake and the error was immediately corrected.

If a court determines that a person has engaged in conduct contrary to section 74.05, it may order the person not to engage in such conduct, to publish a corrective notice and/or to pay an administrative monetary penalty of up to $750,000 in the case of a first time occurrence by an individual and $10,000,000 in the case of a first time occurrence by a corporation. For subsequent orders, the penalties increase to a maximum of $1,000,000 in the case of an individual and $15,000,000 in the case of a corporation.

The advertised prices may indeed be mistakes, as the business had not intended to sell the items at a bargain price. However, unless these errors are corrected as soon as someone complains, huge fines can result.

No, dree12, a Canadian court would not rule a BTC pricing as a Thai Baht pricing if the intent was clearly a BTC transactions or vice-versa. If your courts did, you have bigger problems.
dree12
Legendary

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 08:49:29 PM

No, dree12, a Canadian court would not rule a BTC pricing as a Thai Baht pricing if the intent was clearly a BTC transactions or vice-versa. If your courts did, you have bigger problems.
Like it or not, in Thailand the default meaning of the Baht sign is a Baht. If you wish to sell to Thailand, you cannot use the Baht sign for Bitcoin unless you clearly state it, and if you do, you might as well use BTC.
deadserious

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 10:50:11 PM

Well, then it's a good thing the Canadian dollar is finally near parity to the US dollar.  There must have been a lot of prosecutions all those years when the canadian dollar was so much cheaper....  since they both use the dollar sign and all.
dree12
Legendary

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 11:39:55 PM

Well, then it's a good thing the Canadian dollar is finally near parity to the US dollar.  There must have been a lot of prosecutions all those years when the canadian dollar was so much cheaper....  since they both use the dollar sign and all.
If the store is clearly in the jurisdiction of either Canada or the US, then there is no contest. Duty-free shops, shops on the border, and online shops all (no exceptions) list US $ or CA $.
Hasimir

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2012, 02:17:48 AM

So I wandered off and found a TTF which supports U+20E6 (Code2000) and install it.  After doing so all my other fonts "miraculously" start supporting that character.  *Sigh*.
No they don't. It's just that whenever your computer tries to display a character that is not present in the selected font, it'll try to substitue a font that does have the character (if you actually have such a font installed). Note that a substitute font is only needed for the combining double vertical stroke, so the B will still be displayed in the original font, though the two characters might not align correctly in that case.

Yep, that appears to be exactly what happened (tripling the font size in a test made it easier to see).  Thanks.  That also explains why other users have the double vertical stroke further to the right, which doesn't look as good.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: