Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 06:25:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Thai Baht (฿) has always been the most frequently used Bitcoin symbol right?  (Read 30399 times)
Atlas (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 09:30:37 PM

Luke is still pushing his own idea of a symbol on wikipedia. It's getting silly.
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12873

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 10:12:28 PM

There hasn't been much disagreement that Ƀ, the "Latin capital letter B with stroke" (Alt+0243) is a pretty decent symbol to use going forward.

I don't like it. It's too plain.

My browser displays Luke's symbol alright, and it looks better than ฿ or Ƀ, but I just tried to paste it into the posting text box and it wasn't handled very well.

Why not just use "BTC" in text and BTC in images? A symbol in text isn't really required.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2012, 10:26:31 PM

Why not just use "BTC" in text and BTC in images? A symbol in text isn't really required.

It's not the first time we are discussing this and although "no authority in bitcoin" Atlas vs. "we always used ❏" Luke might most likely not be resolved ever, I'd love to see some definite preference of the bitcointalk.org users so at least we can silence this repetitive discussion here.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 11:22:54 PM

There hasn't been much disagreement that Ƀ, the "Latin capital letter B with stroke" (Alt+0243) is a pretty decent symbol to use going forward.

I don't like it. It's too plain.

My browser displays Luke's symbol alright, and it looks better than ฿ or Ƀ, but I just tried to paste it into the posting text box and it wasn't handled very well.

I agree.  Using "BTC" works just fine for the time being.  The market will eventually decide on a universally agreed symbol.  I don't see that there is a need to settle on any particular one at this time.
helloworld

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 11:50:55 PM

Not a fan of ฿.

More a fan of Ƀ.

Me too. I'd like to see that one used more often.
ralree

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Manateeeeeeees

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 12:20:53 AM

This is what I see:

Mine doesn't look that bad, but it's close.

1MANaTeEZoH4YkgMYz61E5y4s9BYhAuUjG
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 12:33:39 AM

The Baht is not an appropriate symbol for Bitcoin. Each symbol represents a specific currency, and Bitcoin is not a baht.

¤ = currency (B¤: good bitcoin symbol)
$ = peso
€ = euro
£ = pound sterling
¥ = yuan
دينار = dinar
฿ = baht (bad bitcoin symbol)

FLHippy

Activity: 784
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 12:42:07 AM

Coming from someone promoting Bitcoin as a tool for illegal activities (and thus harming Bitcoin), I guess I should take this as a compliment...

You seem a little nutty to me...

legal activities vary greatly from one place to the next and bitcoin is not limited to any single legal jurisdiction.
morality is maybe you what you really mean, and bitcoin is morally neutral.

I like nuts though. I always buy the chunky brand peanut butter and my parrot loves all kinds of nuts.

WHALES HEAVEN
Custody-free Swapping Platform
◈  ────────  Reddit ⬝  BountyWebsiteTelegramTwitterGitHub  ────────  ◈
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2012, 02:13:58 AM

I kinda like Ƀ

Is this part of standard fonts?

If it is, I like it and let use it!
Yes - which is why we need to use it. There was an effort to design a bitcoin logo around it a few months back...something like a BTC50 bounty (of which I pledged BTC10). There was even a pretty good design, but, nothing really got a foothold.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2012, 02:18:45 AM

Luke-Jr keeps changing it to some weird Russian symbol nobody uses on Wikipedia. It probably shows up as the Baht for him or something.
Um, no, I changed it to the symbol every major Bitcoin website uses - including bitcoin.org, bitcoincharts, and these forums - at least in their favicon: B⃦
This is the standard Unicode symbol used for the B with double vertical strokes.

The forum has BTC using some CSS (embedded fonts) to workaround the fact that major fonts don't render it as nice, but it is the same symbol.

Anyways, we generally use the Thai Baht for Bitcoins, right?

฿ <- that right there
You must be confusing Bitcoin with Silk Road.

The B double vertical strokes is a Unicode symbol?  What is its code?  I can't find it on any list of Unicode symbols (maybe I'm not looking in the right place?).

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
dree12
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 02:24:46 AM

Luke-Jr keeps changing it to some weird Russian symbol nobody uses on Wikipedia. It probably shows up as the Baht for him or something.
Um, no, I changed it to the symbol every major Bitcoin website uses - including bitcoin.org, bitcoincharts, and these forums - at least in their favicon: B⃦
This is the standard Unicode symbol used for the B with double vertical strokes.

The forum has BTC using some CSS (embedded fonts) to workaround the fact that major fonts don't render it as nice, but it is the same symbol.

Anyways, we generally use the Thai Baht for Bitcoins, right?

฿ <- that right there
You must be confusing Bitcoin with Silk Road.

The B double vertical strokes is a Unicode symbol?  What is its code?  I can't find it on any list of Unicode symbols (maybe I'm not looking in the right place?).
Two unicode symbols that look like one: B⃦.
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 02:33:50 AM

Yep. Unicode defines symbols like this using "combining" characters (the "already combined" characters exist only for compatibility with legacy encodings such as Latin-1), so for B⃦ you do:This works to some extent for all possible combinations (apparently some people are getting blocks, though?).
From there, fonts can specialize with "ligatures" (renderings that represent a sequence of characters) - which is where things can definitely use improvement.

nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 02:57:48 AM

You guys... where can I get these fonts Huh
All I see is the baht and the "currency symbol." The rest are boxes and B-boxes.
helloworld

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 04:08:28 AM

Coming from someone promoting Bitcoin as a tool for illegal activities (and thus harming Bitcoin), I guess I should take this as a compliment...

[A little nutty] * [all the people who think he's a little nutty] = [a shitload of nutty]
dree12
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 12:03:40 PM

[A little nutty] * [all the people who think he's a little nutty] = [a shitload of nutty]

If that's how it works, then I think I have a shitload of humanness.

You guys... where can I get these fonts Huh
All I see is the baht and the "currency symbol." The rest are boxes and B-boxes.
I didn't need to "get a font". Ubuntu 12.04, works out of the box. What OS are you using?
Blind

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 02:28:12 PM

All of them suck IMHO because they resemble digit 8 too closely. When put next to amount, it takes a little bit of brain power to separate symbol from value:

฿485 - striked 8, still reads as 8, too busy in general
Ƀ249 - bit better as Ƀ is slightly taller than other chars
BTC853 - stands out only because it looks bolded, so sucks anyway (being an image earns three bonus sucks)

B⃦ sucks extra hard for being 2 chars (we invented new problems for you!) and not being displayed properly on my unicode friendly win7 machine, despite 64bit processor and 8gb of ram. /s

How about Bitcoin, the currency of unconditional love: ❤256

Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem. -- Ronald Reagan
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 02:44:34 PM

BTC853 - stands out only because it looks bolded, so sucks anyway (being an image earns three bonus sucks)
Technically speaking, BitcoinTalk is using a "webfont" for this, not a regular image.

B⃦ sucks extra hard for being 2 chars (we invented new problems for you!)
B⃦ is itself a single character, even if comprised of two codepoints.
It's also the same character the forum is using a webfont to render in BTC.
Using multiple codepoints for a single character is not new.

and not being displayed properly on my unicode friendly win7 machine, despite 64bit processor and 8gb of ram.
Obviously not very Unicode-friendly, if it can't display Unicode.

giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2012, 02:54:56 PM

Yep. Unicode defines symbols like this using "combining" characters (the "already combined" characters exist only for compatibility with legacy encodings such as Latin-1), so for B⃦ you do:This works to some extent for all possible combinations (apparently some people are getting blocks, though?).
From there, fonts can specialize with "ligatures" (renderings that represent a sequence of characters) - which is where things can definitely use improvement.

Ok, so now I know why it looks shitty on my and many other systems. The vertical strokes are in different places depending on the program I use. In my chromium browser they are too far right and in gedit they are in addition to far right too short.
Knowing it is actually a double-symbol makes me all the more favor any of the single-symbols that at least should look consistent on all systems that manage to display something:
฿ or Ƀ.

The $ symbol being used for many many currencies should be reason enough to not have a problem recycling the Baht symbol for Bitcoin. Here in Chile they also use $ for Chilean Pesos.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Kris
Donator

Activity: 640
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 02:57:24 PM

We use Ƀ
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 03:03:45 PM

B⃦ is itself a single character, even if comprised of two codepoints.
It's also the same character the forum is using a webfont to render in BTC.
Using multiple codepoints for a single character is not new.

I am now on a completely different computer than yesterday. Your B-Box now shows up as a B with two feet.

I have also had a look at your B-Box via Chrome on a GNex with Jelly Bean. Your B-Box there shows up as a B. Just a B.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: