Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:56:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Thai Baht (฿) has always been the most frequently used Bitcoin symbol right?  (Read 30399 times)
Blind

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 03:22:43 PM

Technically speaking, BitcoinTalk is using a "webfont" for this, not a regular image.

You're asking to install custom font, just to have currency symbol properly displayed in a spreadsheet or email. How many people are going to do that? Think about it. The web is easier as this only has to be done once per site, but that's one extra uneccesary step. We should make life easier, not harder.

and not being displayed properly on my unicode friendly win7 machine, despite 64bit processor and 8gb of ram.
Obviously not very Unicode-friendly, if it can't display Unicode.

Point is, it doesn't work for majority of users here with modern computers and modern, very popular, operating systems who also happen to have technical skills way above the average. If it doesn't work for us, it won't work for general population, period.

Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem. -- Ronald Reagan
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 03:35:41 PM

I didn't need to "get a font". Ubuntu 12.04, works out of the box. What OS are you using?

Doesn't work for me. Ubuntu 12.04 32bit with Firefox, fresh install as of today, and most of these fonts are a b-box, except for ฿ and Ƀ.

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12899

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 03:42:36 PM

It's also the same character the forum is using a webfont to render in BTC.

Actually, BTC is the characters "BTC" with the B made to look like BTC and the "TC" invisible (using webfonts). So you can copy/paste it without losing meaning, even if Unicode isn't fully-supported.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 04:14:23 PM

Technically speaking, BitcoinTalk is using a "webfont" for this, not a regular image.

You're asking to install custom font, just to have currency symbol properly displayed in a spreadsheet or email. How many people are going to do that? Think about it. The web is easier as this only has to be done once per site, but that's one extra uneccesary step. We should make life easier, not harder.
No. Webfonts are automatically downloaded and used by your browser.

Point is, it doesn't work for majority of users here with modern computers and modern, very popular, operating systems who also happen to have technical skills way above the average. If it doesn't work for us, it won't work for general population, period.
And that's why most Bitcoin websites are still using images for the BTC symbol...

Blind

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 04:19:23 PM

[...]

Websites and websites, I want bitcoin symbol in my text files, dammit!

Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem. -- Ronald Reagan
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 06:11:06 PM

[...]

Ok, so use a working text editor/viewer... Unicode's only been around for well over a decade now.

dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 07:32:02 PM

It's also the same character the forum is using a webfont to render in BTC.

Actually, BTC is the characters "BTC" with the B made to look like BTC and the "TC" invisible (using webfonts). So you can copy/paste it without losing meaning, even if Unicode isn't fully-supported.
This is a bad idea, because the browser isn't guaranteed to copy the invisible TC. Use ligatures instead to achieve the desired effect.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12899

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 07:35:02 PM

This is a bad idea, because the browser isn't guaranteed to copy the invisible TC.

Are you sure? The characters are "visible", but the font defines them to have zero width.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 07:41:14 PM

Seems to work fine. I just copied a BTC from my broswer into an ANSI encoded text document and it autoresolved to "BTC".
dree12
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 07:45:59 PM

This is a bad idea, because the browser isn't guaranteed to copy the invisible TC.

Are you sure? The characters are "visible", but the font defines them to have zero width.
Yes, I'm sure. I copied this:

100 BTC

And got:

100 B

This is only an issue when the only thing copied is the price tag, as the TC is copied properly if the selection encompasses what's after it too.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 07:49:42 PM

100 BTC

And got:

100 B

This is only an issue when the only thing copied is the price tag, as the TC is copied properly if the selection encompasses what's after it too.

Just tried it again to be sure, taking care to only copy the tag and not any whitespaces before or after.

Pasted into an ANSI document.

Autoresolves to BTC without a hitch.
dree12
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 07:58:44 PM

100 BTC

And got:

100 B

Just tried it again to be sure, taking care to only copy the tag and not any whitespaces before or after.

Pasted into an ANSI document.

Autoresolves to BTC without a hitch.
I guess it is a problem on my end then. Different computers/environments have different methods of handling these zero-width characters.
Blind

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 08:19:44 PM

[...]
Ok, so use a working text editor/viewer... Unicode's only been around for well over a decade now.

Picture is worth a thousand words (should be mentioned, no problems with for ฿ and Ƀ):

What you propose is an interesting hack, not a reliable solution. It creates more problems than is trying to fix. If it works on your machine, it's an exception, not the rule. But maybe there is an opportunity for you among The Bitcoin Corp gang, in hardware division, selling certified bitcoin machines capable of displaying the symbol properly.

Also,

I am now on a completely different computer than yesterday. Your B-Box now shows up as a B with two feet.
I have also had a look at your B-Box via Chrome on a GNex with Jelly Bean. Your B-Box there shows up as a B. Just a B.

Doesn't work for me. Ubuntu 12.04 32bit with Firefox, fresh install as of today, and most of these fonts are a b-box, except for ฿ and Ƀ.

dree12
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 08:54:04 PM

[...]
What you propose is an interesting hack, not a reliable solution.
It isn't a hack, it's standard. Though, admittedly, it's a standard widely unsupported (like HTML5).
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 09:13:04 PM

Anyways, we generally use the Thai Baht for Bitcoins, right?

฿ <- that right there

Please, whatever the heck you use as a symbol for Bitcoin, DON'T PICK SOMETHING ALREADY IN USE FOR A CURRENCY. Such an ambiguous symbol is a horrible choice! Please come to your senses and STOP USING IT.

There's no value in a consensus that's reached with brains off. Use the @ for all I care, BTC is fine, so are Unicode hacks, just not something that's asking for trouble!

I'm going to put this in my sig for a bit, just to make a point.
nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 09:59:05 PM

You guys... where can I get these fonts Huh
All I see is the baht and the "currency symbol." The rest are boxes and B-boxes.
I didn't need to "get a font". Ubuntu 12.04, works out of the box. What OS are you using?
Windows XP Pro
We use Ƀ
Great, another box. Seriously wtf is wrong with my system?

Baht and box. Huh

฿ <- that right there

Please, whatever the heck you use as a symbol for Bitcoin, DON'T PICK SOMETHING ALREADY IN USE FOR A CURRENCY. Such an ambiguous symbol is a horrible choice! Please come to your senses and STOP USING IT.

There's no value in a consensus that's reached with brains off. Use the @ for all I care, BTC is fine, so are Unicode hacks, just not something that's asking for trouble!

$ works fine :/
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2012, 10:01:16 PM

฿ <- that right there

Wow! Calm down! There are many contracts done in Dollar, Peso, Brazilian real, Nicaraguan córdoba, Tongan paʻanga,  Cape Verdean escudo,  Portuguese escudo and none of the involved countries ever got any of the others into legal trouble about the $ sign.
$ (disambiguation)

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2012, 10:10:40 PM

How about Bitcoin, the currency of unconditional love: ❤256

used by villages.cc (a simple ripple implementation) already  Kiss

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
coinpeculiator

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 10:14:56 PM

Guys, just use a thai butt

the us dollar is sometimes drawn with two vertical lines, i heard it's from the early days of a u being superimposed on to the S for US

we use a B with two slashes but the most commonly working computer symbol only has one, just like a dollar, yet more proof bitcoins are a real currency
dree12
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 10:17:17 PM

฿ <- that right there

Wow! Calm down! There are many contracts done in Dollar, Peso, Brazilian real, Nicaraguan córdoba, Tongan paʻanga,  Cape Verdean escudo,  Portuguese escudo and none of the involved countries ever got any of the others into legal trouble about the $ sign.
$ (disambiguation)
Great! Let's adopt $ as the Bitcoin symbol, so we'll fit right in.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: