Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:33:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S5+ is available to order, 7.722TH/S 0.445J/GH  (Read 40035 times)
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 06:06:11 AM

Of course we'll see another batch. There's no way that the S5+ is a one time event. But at this late stage there's no way it will run as long as the S3 did (what was that, 6 batches?)

Were hoping to see more batches but honestly its not a sure thing.  I think it is a good chance, but not sure.

If they were doing to get rid of extra chips we will not see it again.  If we see batch 2 we can expect to see a few i think.
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
edonkey
Legendary

Activity: 1150
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 02:01:18 PM

Of course we'll see another batch. There's no way that the S5+ is a one time event. But at this late stage there's no way it will run as long as the S3 did (what was that, 6 batches?)

Were hoping to see more batches but honestly its not a sure thing.  I think it is a good chance, but not sure.

If they were doing to get rid of extra chips we will not see it again.  If we see batch 2 we can expect to see a few i think.

I agree that we don't know for sure what will happen. We have little visibility into Bitmain's business and we're all just guessing.

But in addition to just using up current (old) chips, Bitmain will need to recoup their development investment with the S5+. It's easy for us to look at an S5+ and say "that's just 3 S5s bolted together". But the fact is that they every product, even an incremental one, costs money to bring it to market.

Whether they can recoup their costs and use up their old chips with one run of the S5+ is unknown, but I think it's unlikely.

What's more likely is that they'll keep making these until there's no demand or they're out of chips. Clearly there's demand, so if they still have chips they'll be more batches.

Further, we can look at this from a historic perspective. Has there ever been a mining product from Bitmain in the past that only had a single batch? Even the U3 had 2 batches, and it probably was a niche item.

Was I helpful?   BTC: 3G1Ubof5u8K9iJkM8We2f3amYZgGVdvpHr
Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 02:47:23 PM

Further, we can look at this from a historic perspective. Has there ever been a mining product from Bitmain in the past that only had a single batch? Even the U3 had 2 batches, and it probably was a niche item.

Yes.
Antminer S3++
and Antminer L1
https://www.bitmaintech.com/productDetail.htm?pid=00020140830074550960Um75pnzg06E3

I think that we are still seeing S5+ batches, but only used miners, and not before a couple of months.
worldinacoin

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 02:51:25 PM

How to cool this fella is my main worries
edonkey
Legendary

Activity: 1150
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 02:55:02 PM

Yes.
Antminer S3++
and Antminer L1
https://www.bitmaintech.com/productDetail.htm?pid=00020140830074550960Um75pnzg06E3

I think that we are still seeing S5+ batches, but only used miners, and not before a couple of months.

Actually wasn't the L1 basically zero batches given that it never shipped?

Anyway, I take your point. I just hope that they have at least one more batch up their sleeves because I want an S5+ and couldn't move fast enough for batch 1.

Was I helpful?   BTC: 3G1Ubof5u8K9iJkM8We2f3amYZgGVdvpHr
alh
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 05:07:31 PM

My bet is that the recent announcement of the BM1385 chip (for the S7) will curtail some of the demand for the S5+. Some folks will wait for the S7, currently unkdefined schedule, some folks will just take the S5+ now if they can get it.

The actual announcement of the BM1385 chip, even without an S7 schedule, will likely reduce the overall demand for the S5+.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 06:04:59 PM

My bet is that the recent announcement of the BM1385 chip (for the S7) will curtail some of the demand for the S5+. Some folks will wait for the S7, currently unkdefined schedule, some folks will just take the S5+ now if they can get it.

The actual announcement of the BM1385 chip, even without an S7 schedule, will likely reduce the overall demand for the S5+.

I think it will effect it and other miners.   It will all depend on when the S7 comes out.

As of right now we don't know much just some released specs.   So S7 could be very soon or could be months they don't really say much on when S7 launches.  Also we don't know price of S7.
Tupsu
Legendary

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 08:02:58 PM

....  Also we don't know price of S7.

This is the easy part.. S7 price will be 0,0011-0,0013 BTC for 1 GH/s
Starin

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

Infected Mushroom

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2015, 09:53:34 PM

Hmm what makes you assume that?

Tupsu
Legendary

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 10:31:29 PM

Hmm what makes you assume that?

S5   1.3-1.5BTC
S5+  8-9BTC
S7   ?
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 11:01:49 PM

I doubt it will be quite that low, with the efficiency improvement.

And who the heck figures in GH any more anyway? 8-O

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Tupsu
Legendary

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 11:10:54 PM

I doubt it will be quite that low, with the efficiency improvement.

And who the heck figures in GH any more anyway? 8-O

Hashnest users Wink
HashPower(GHS)
crazyearner
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 11:21:07 PM

Cost almost 10 BTC due to prices ill pass on that and buy 10BTC instead and wait on price make more of BTC trading than mining. If got free energy then so be it good to take a gamble but right now not for me ill maybe buy some cloud mining and take gamble that way than risking 10BTC to buy equipment wait on delays and problems on first batch. No doubt their is going to be problems on first so maybe wait and buy later.

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  R E B E L L I O U S
Epoch
Legendary

Activity: 922

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 11:24:02 PM

You can use as many PSUs as you want as long as you don't have multiple PSUs powering the same individual board (of which there is 9).
Do all PCI ports need to be powered?  Or will it run with 2 on each board? 
2 is fine, still only about 165W per PCI-E.
Are you certain that using 2 is fine? The product description page says all three are required. It may be that each PCIe plug powers a specific set of chips; the 3 PCIe connectors may not share a common power bus at all as in, say, the S3 design. Without knowing the actual S5+ design, or having an actual unit to look at, saying "2 is fine" is only speculation at this point unless something more is known than what bitmain has disclosed so far.

Bitmain could confirm this here, but they aren't posting much these days. If anyone already has a unit, they could also confirm whether using 2 out of the 3 connectors works and post here.
itop_james

Activity: 68
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2015, 11:41:13 PM

You can use as many PSUs as you want as long as you don't have multiple PSUs powering the same individual board (of which there is 9).
Do all PCI ports need to be powered?  Or will it run with 2 on each board? 
Are you certain that using 2 is fine? The product description page says all three are required. It may be that each PCIe plug powers a specific set of chips; the 3 PCIe connectors may not share a common power bus at all as in, say, the S3 design. Without knowing the actual S5+ design, or having an actual unit to look at, saying "2 is fine" is only speculation at this point unless something more is known than what bitmain has disclosed so far.

Bitmain could confirm this here, but they aren't posting much these days. If anyone already has a unit, they could also confirm whether using 2 out of the 3 connectors works and post here.

What Bitmain customer Service told us was we have to use all 3 connectors for each board, As my understanding if each board need at least 382W(3436/9), in average each connector should be bear 127w@10.6A , and if it works  using only 2 connectors instead that will be 191w@15.9A for each connector , it is high risk to heat up or burn your cables if they are not good enough.   
yslyung
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1002

Mine Mine Mine

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 11:50:06 PM

regardless of "x" amt of batches, s7,8,9,X,11 & so on ... end of the day it WILL always be :

TOO EXPENSIVE !
-almost no chance of ROI *unless FREE or SUPER LOW elec rates*
even with that if i'm not mistaken it'll take a minimum of 4-5 months with FREE elec. excluding psu+cable+taxes+0 downtime+100% luck+PERFECT scenario
-prices will always change along with btc price
-miner issues with S&H, HW, FW etc

if you the buyer DO NOT have FREE or super low elec. rates, imVERYho FORGET about it ! DO NOT BUY. buying STOPS so does the KILLING !

most people till now really surprises me that they DO NOT:

-take into account of diff jumps or reduces bla bla bla but always put it at WORSE case scenario 
-also use a lower prediction of BTC prices for ROI calculations please
-add in shipping ! or any taxes if applicable
-psu, cables, fans, etc . . .

just ma couple of sats. $ is yours, decision is yours. atm things does look -ve

cniht

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 11:51:49 PM

Yes.
Antminer S3++
and Antminer L1

I thought Bitmain killed their entire Scrypt Miner ASIC project along with KnC.  Weren't able to pull it off, especially when some of the script coin people were warning they were going to intentionally try to FUBAR things for those units should they start shipping them with slight changes.  Not saying there aren't some small scale ASIC in capable of script mining, just they were going to intentionally make the script more resistant if major manufacturers got in the game.  Seems they didn't like the thought of all the centralization occurring.  (Not like it isn't happening anyway)
Epoch
Legendary

Activity: 922

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 12:09:30 AM

Do all PCI ports need to be powered?  Or will it run with 2 on each board?  

What Bitmain customer Service told us was we have to use all 3 connectors for each board, As my understanding if each board need at least 382W(3436/9), in average each connector should be bear 127w@10.6A , and if it works  using only 2 connectors instead that will be 191w@15.9A for each connector , it is high risk to heat up or burn your cables if they are not good enough.    
This still doesn't answer the question of whether all 3 are *required* by design, or can 2 be used if the cables can handle the increased current?

BTW the power requirements aren't as high as you mention: 3436W quoted by bitmaintech is at the wall, using a 93% efficient PSU. So the DC power to the S5+ would only be 3436*0.93 or 3196 watts, or 355W per board. *If* the design allowed the use of 2 connectors per board, this would put 178W per connector (14.8A). This isn't bad, considering S3+ units can easily be powered with 2 PCIe cables and those use around 355W as well.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 12:37:36 AM
Last edit: August 20, 2015, 04:00:41 AM by notlist3d

Do all PCI ports need to be powered?  Or will it run with 2 on each board?  

What Bitmain customer Service told us was we have to use all 3 connectors for each board, As my understanding if each board need at least 382W(3436/9), in average each connector should be bear 127w@10.6A , and if it works  using only 2 connectors instead that will be 191w@15.9A for each connector , it is high risk to heat up or burn your cables if they are not good enough.    
This still doesn't answer the question of whether all 3 are *required* by design, or can 2 be used if the cables can handle the increased current?

BTW the power requirements aren't as high as you mention: 3436W quoted by bitmaintech is at the wall, using a 93% efficient PSU. So the DC power to the S5+ would only be 3436*0.93 or 3196 watts, or 355W per board. *If* the design allowed the use of 2 connectors per board, this would put 178W per connector (14.8A). This isn't bad, considering S3+ units can easily be powered with 2 PCIe cables and those use around 355W as well.

They make a big deal about using 3 per board, so I would not try to personally.  They actually ship a piece of paper with some general instructions, and an email with it to.   And in all of them it made sure you use 3 per board.

So under pcie specs should it run if high quality psu with nice cables... yes.  But they make sure to tell you only run with 3 in each.  If you do 2 i'm sure it violates warranty.
phantitox

Activity: 385
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 20, 2015, 01:06:30 AM

so... x27 6pin pcie cables per miner....  im planning to use 3 hp 1200w power supply per miner... but.. 9 cables per power supply ..  Huh this seems hard to do... anyone knows where to purchase those 6 pin pcie cables awg 16.. ? Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: