Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:42:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Meanwhile in lower Manhattan.....  (Read 11751 times)
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2012, 01:49:44 AM

Sweet!

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
teamhugs

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2012, 02:21:38 AM

My BIN database shows:

Card Brand: MASTERCARD
Issuing Bank: HSBC BANK MALAYSIA BERHAD
Card Type (Credit/Debit):
Card Level:
ISO Country Name: MALAYSIA
ISO Country A2 Code: MY
ISO Country A3 Code: MYS
ISO Country Number: 458
Bank Website: http://HTTP://WWW.HSBC.COM.MY/
Bank Phone: 1300 88 0181

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 03:45:57 AM

My BIN database shows:

Card Brand: MASTERCARD
Issuing Bank: HSBC BANK MALAYSIA BERHAD
Card Type (Credit/Debit):
Card Level:
ISO Country Name: MALAYSIA
ISO Country A2 Code: MY
ISO Country A3 Code: MYS
ISO Country Number: 458
Bank Website: http://HTTP://WWW.HSBC.COM.MY/
Bank Phone: 1300 88 0181
I think the photo is just a mockup, not a real number. I did the same thing. lol

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 04:06:03 AM

Yankee, what exactly was the point of posting this picture?

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
shad0wbitz

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2012, 05:18:40 AM

Yankee, what exactly was the point of posting this picture?

The purpose was to generate discussion over a graphic that was already posted three months ago on their blog. Just more vaporware, and outrageous marketing tactics, like the "proposal to mitt romney" article on their blog. More vaporware ...

MODERATORS: How is this not SPAM when nothing specific has been announced, the MAIN bitcoin discussion thread was used to post a picture that has been on their blog and other news outlets for months now?

GOX SUX COX!
The true faces of the Bitcoinica / Intersango SCAM! - Bitcoin was born in the shad0ws, for the shad0ws.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2012, 06:29:55 AM

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
hxtop

Activity: 1071
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 06:36:38 AM

could you show we more detail?
it's interest and good job!
Jan
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 09:11:21 AM

While this doesn't give me a hard-on (it's close though  Shocked) it's a great teaser for what we may see in the future. Can't wait to see it happen.
I don't understand all the hate in this thread. It is just a picture, no claims => marketing at it's best.

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 10:03:35 AM

Btw, what's the point to use Bitcoin-based debit cards? To convert bitcoins into dollars? Nonsense. Bitcoiners would better focus on encouraging others to accept bitcoins.
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 10:27:01 AM

So when BFL releases some preliminary product renders and folks cry "fraud" you jump on their bandwagon and assert that when the crowd shouts "fraud" the burden of proof is on the manufacturer: "Prove to us you're NOT a fraud!"

Then when BitInstant releases a preliminary product pic and folks cry "fraud" your immediate response is "nono, that's not ok you guys, those making the claims of fraud bear the burden of proof, anything else would be fallacious!"

Inconsistent reasoning is inconsistent.

I would imagine the major difference is that bitinstant isn't run by a convicted fraudster and hasn't collected millions of dollars in pre-orders...

Enmaku: Should BitInstant do an EXTREMELY SHADY MAKEOVER, like say,
move to an unknown address, list a fake office on their webpage,
fire their secretary (and replace her with a cell phone number),
refuse to answer questions from anxious customers (See: Town Hall thread),
hire Inaba to make funny, evasive jokes instead of addressing the worries of customers,
and also take ten million dollars (or something) in pre-orders,
THEN, I should say "cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!"

In the meantime, as long as their core business stays healthy,
and doesn't also look like it's intentionally set up to be able to one day disappear completely,
or is also run by convicted felons, then yeah, BitInstant can do pull whatever stunts pleases them.

The differences between the two companies are pretty obvious and pretty stunning.
BFL could do well to learn a thing (or a thousand) from BitInstant.
gildedtophat

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 12:40:22 PM

Btw, what's the point to use Bitcoin-based debit cards? To convert bitcoins into dollars? Nonsense. Bitcoiners would better focus on encouraging others to accept bitcoins.

Great idea. So next time someone asks me if they can buy anything in the real world with Bitcoins, I'll just tell them that if they want to buy a head of lettuce, they have to work on convincing the grocery store to begin accepting Bitcoins.
Kris
Donator

Activity: 640

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 12:44:41 PM

Looks good. Did it pay for the beer?
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 12:45:38 PM

Great idea. So next time someone asks me if they can buy anything in the real world with Bitcoins, I'll just tell them that if they want to buy a head of lettuce, they have to work on convincing the grocery store to begin accepting Bitcoins.

Yes. When a lot of ppl ask the grocer if they accept bitcoins he will, likely, pay more attention to Bitcoin.
The_Duke

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Lead Core BitKitty Developer

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 12:52:50 PM

Of course it did. And no, the bartender did not wonder at all if "Cardholder Name" was a real name or not.

NOT a member of the so called ''Bitcoin Foundation''. Choose Independence!

Donate to the BitKitty Foundation instead! -> 1Fd4yLneGmxRHnPi6WCMC2hAMzaWvDePF9 <-
Kris
Donator

Activity: 640

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 12:54:38 PM

Of course it did. And no, the bartender did not wonder at all if "Cardholder Name" was a real name or not.

Sorry if I offended you Sad
Yankee (BitInstant) (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2012, 12:55:00 PM

The purpose was to generate discussion over a graphic that was already posted three months ago on their blog. Just more vaporware, and outrageous marketing tactics, like the "proposal to mitt romney" article on their blog. More vaporware ...

MODERATORS: How is this not SPAM when nothing specific has been announced, the MAIN bitcoin discussion thread was used to post a picture that has been on their blog and other news outlets for months now?

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
XertroV

Activity: 88
Merit: 12

Max Kaye

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2012, 01:15:06 PM

So when BFL releases some preliminary product renders and folks cry "fraud" you jump on their bandwagon and assert that when the crowd shouts "fraud" the burden of proof is on the manufacturer: "Prove to us you're NOT a fraud!"

Then when BitInstant releases a preliminary product pic and folks cry "fraud" your immediate response is "nono, that's not ok you guys, those making the claims of fraud bear the burden of proof, anything else would be fallacious!"

he's got you dead to rights there mucus

As elux was saying, there is a myriad of differences between the two companies - this is reason enough.

In addition to that, BitInstant provides services; they don't produce products. BFL do. When BFL say "we have this technology, please preorder", it is right for someone to ask for evidence (though an absence of evidence doesn't mean there are no conditions under which that is judged to be an acceptable choice); especially when it is something that hasn't been done before. When BitInstant post a photo they aren't asking for money, they're just saying "look at what we're working on", and yes, it is still right to ask for evidence - who doesn't want that - but at the same time this lack of evidence doesn't mean as much because there is less value (for the individual) in the truth of BitInstant's claim (IE: that they have a bitcoin debit card in the works).

The point of all this is not that you should or shouldn't be satisfied with what has been provided (that is, of course, up to you), but that there is certainly room for someone to not demand as much evidence from BitInstant as they would from BFL. Since such a position is not inherently contradictory the argument falls down.

It allows you to save in bitcoin and use them very easily and very quickly. If nothing else, it is moving bitcoins faster in the economy, which is brilliant.

Furthermore, yes, bitcoiners need to talk to others about Bitcoin (and the bitcoin) and encourage them to accept the bitcoin as they do money other currencies; however, in the mean time this is an excellent compromise - it, at the very least, sponsors the movement of bitcoins through the economy (albiet in a needlessly complex way that involves fees and such and so is not as good for the economy as 'true' business in bitcoin), which is better than not at all.

What's the point? It is a bridge. Something that is useful to the bitcoin economy, but not as good as we'd like. Process is important, and this simply helps that along (for an analogy, think of why "half a wing" is in fact useful evolutionarily).

Anyway, just my 20 mBTC
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 02:16:26 PM

he's got you dead to rights there mucus

As elux was saying, there is a myriad of differences between the two companies - this is reason enough.

In addition to that, BitInstant provides services; they don't produce products. BFL do. When BFL say "we have this technology, please preorder", it is right for someone to ask for evidence (though an absence of evidence doesn't mean there are no conditions under which that is judged to be an acceptable choice); especially when it is something that hasn't been done before. When BitInstant post a photo they aren't asking for money, they're just saying "look at what we're working on", and yes, it is still right to ask for evidence - who doesn't want that - but at the same time this lack of evidence doesn't mean as much because there is less value (for the individual) in the truth of BitInstant's claim (IE: that they have a bitcoin debit card in the works).

The point of all this is not that you should or shouldn't be satisfied with what has been provided (that is, of course, up to you), but that there is certainly room for someone to not demand as much evidence from BitInstant as they would from BFL. Since such a position is not inherently contradictory the argument falls down.

It allows you to save in bitcoin and use them very easily and very quickly. If nothing else, it is moving bitcoins faster in the economy, which is brilliant.

Furthermore, yes, bitcoiners need to talk to others about Bitcoin (and the bitcoin) and encourage them to accept the bitcoin as they do money other currencies; however, in the mean time this is an excellent compromise - it, at the very least, sponsors the movement of bitcoins through the economy (albiet in a needlessly complex way that involves fees and such and so is not as good for the economy as 'true' business in bitcoin), which is better than not at all.

What's the point? It is a bridge. Something that is useful to the bitcoin economy, but not as good as we'd like. Process is important, and this simply helps that along (for an analogy, think of why "half a wing" is in fact useful evolutionarily).

Anyway, just my 20 mBTC

That's a too good posting, you must be a sockpuppet! :-)

Cheers!

Ente
jayeeyee

Activity: 191
Merit: 110

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 02:40:39 PM

I use to have chronic fingernail biting habits like him.  I still do actually but I try really hard to hold myself back.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 02:45:52 PM

I would be interested in a real update with dates for example.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: