Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:01:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What"s your opinion on the Bitcoin Foundation?
It is a great initiative and it will surely help for the success of bitcoin.  Keep on the good work, guys! - 88 (40%)
It seems ok but the goals and means to achieve them are not clear, are they? - 38 (17.3%)
I don't think it'll be usefull and truly I don't care much as long as the code stays free software - 10 (4.5%)
It's a bit suspicious, as it very much looks like the beginning of a centralisation/politization of the project. - 70 (31.8%)
It's wrong.  So wrong.  Bitcoin does NOT need that and now I fear the project will die from inside. - 14 (6.4%)
Total Voters: 219

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [poll] What's your opinion on Bitcoin Foundation?  (Read 2524 times)
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 10:17:46 AM
Last edit: October 05, 2012, 11:35:28 AM by hazek

Not sure any poll on the September announcement has been posted yet.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 10:24:23 AM
Last edit: October 04, 2012, 01:26:36 PM by Come-from-Beyond

Do you support the launch of the Bitcoin Foundation? [Poll]: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=113509.0
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 10:47:09 PM

Would be cool to a see some more votes on this.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 01:12:17 PM

The option i would like to choose is not present in the poll, so the poll sucks.
There should be at least 3 more options, including "The idea is good, however it has some issues which require improving".

knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 01:55:08 PM

I think it can be useful but dangerous at the same time... 

grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 02:11:04 PM

The option i would like to choose is not present in the poll, so the poll sucks.
There should be at least 3 more options, including "The idea is good, however it has some issues which require improving".

It's pretty much the same as option 2.

ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 04:17:23 PM

It's pretty much the same as option 2.

Nope, i don't think so.

Why not simply make multi-choice poll with few more options ?

grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 04:33:00 PM

Nope, i don't think so.

It's close enough.

Why not simply make multi-choice poll with few more options ?

Because there are just too many possible answers.  You just have to pick a representative subset of them.  I didn't think very deep about this because I know there's just no way to make everyone happy anyway.

allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2012, 03:59:25 AM

This is a pretty evenly split issue.

kwoody

Activity: 454
Merit: 250

Technology and Women. Amazing.

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 04:45:05 AM
Last edit: October 06, 2012, 04:56:06 AM by kwoody

The Foundation would've been much better received by the community if those who created it had been a little more transparent in the conception. People like to feel as though they are in control of their financial holdings, and to see something like TBF just pop up out of the blue is troubling to say the least. The implementation of the foundation could've been handled much, much better. It would be surrounded by positive vibes if everybody who contributes to the Bitcoin community had been able to give their 2 cents on the idea, what were essential bylaws for the organization, who should be CEO/board members, etc. What we got instead was an announcement, about an announcement, and a CEO that the majority of Bitcoin users had never even heard of; the implementation of the Foundation was/is laughable, and most likely why the site's been DDoS'd quite a few times since its existance was made public.

To give us a feeling of security, they've stated that any board member can be replaced after serving a multi-year term. What about impeachment? Is the community free to impeach a sitting board member? If not, TBF sucks donkey balls as an organization, and should be abolished immediately. I refuse to be falsely represented by an organization which doesn't even make itself public enough to be audited. It might be time for Gavin to hand the keys over to somebody more aligned with Satoshi's vision.
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 01:26:40 PM

It seems there aren't just a few trolls trying to troll as was portrayed by some, it seems a lot more are at least suspicious of what this Bitcoin Foundation means for Bitcoin down the road. I'd really like to see more votes though.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 01:29:56 PM

I'd really like to see more votes though.

Make the thread sticky, maybe?

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 01:38:20 PM

The Foundation would've been much better received by the community if those who created it had been a little more transparent in the conception.

A little MORE? OMFG, they r completely untransparent! Ask them to publish the address that was used by MtGox to pay the membership fee. I already did it - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=114911.msg1240116#msg1240116.
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 01:38:52 PM

Good idea actually. Unless instructed otherwise I will make this thread sticky for 1 week from today.

deeplink

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 02:50:25 PM

This is a pretty evenly split issue.

Currently over 50% is suspious or even against TBF and only 45% think it is ok. The rest don't care.

This is getting interesting and I find the behaviour of this organization worrying to say the least. The fact that critical people are set aside as "only a few trolls/haters" reminds me of how some political figures are stigmatized by the media.

The Foundation would've been much better received by the community if those who created it had been a little more transparent in the conception.

A little MORE? OMFG, they r completely untransparent! Ask them to publish the address that was used by MtGox to pay the membership fee. I already did it - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=114911.msg1240116#msg1240116.

Yeah I would very much like to see this too, but why did you lock the thread, so Peter cannot reply even if he wanted to?

It might be time for Gavin to hand the keys over to somebody more aligned with Satoshi's vision.

It would be a loss, but at the moment I agree completely. Gavin is not irreplaceable.

Bitcion development should NOT be involved in a political organization. Never ever.
deeplink

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 02:52:01 PM

Yes please sticky it, so we can get more votes.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 03:39:44 PM

Yeah I would very much like to see this too, but why did you lock the thread, so Peter cannot reply even if he wanted to?

Peter can't confirm a payment that has never existed. If a miracle happened and MtGox really paid - he can always create a new thread.
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 04:12:29 PM

There is clearly significant concern about TBF. I'm surprised I haven't gotten more positive feedback on my counter defense to Bitcoin Foundation power, by using litecoins in the marketplace as well explained here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=115303.0

I think people just don't understand what I'm proposing.
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 06:40:50 PM

There is clearly significant concern about TBF. I'm surprised I haven't gotten more positive feedback on my counter defense to Bitcoin Foundation power, by using litecoins in the marketplace as well explained here:

I do understand what you are proposing.
However, Litecoins simply suck and that is why there is no positive feedback.

Vulnerability to mining monopoly

Similarly to Bitcoin, Litecoin can be attacked by a rich entity (on the scale of big corporations and governments). Also similarly to Bitcoin, this attack becomes more difficult to orchestrate the higher the hash rate of the network. However, because Litecoin is designed to be inefficient on all common computer components (both CPUs and GPUs), a malicious entity needs only produce a single piece of specialized/custom hardware to overtake all the commodity mining systems combined.

Another problem with changed algorithm is that AFAIK Litecoin cannot be merge-mined together with Bitcoin, which sucks even more.

acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 07:08:18 PM
Last edit: October 06, 2012, 07:30:13 PM by acoindr

I do understand what you are proposing.
However, Litecoins simply suck and that is why there is no positive feedback.

Vulnerability to mining monopoly

Similarly to Bitcoin, Litecoin can be attacked by a rich entity (on the scale of big corporations and governments). Also similarly to Bitcoin, this attack becomes more difficult to orchestrate the higher the hash rate of the network. However, because Litecoin is designed to be inefficient on all common computer components (both CPUs and GPUs), a malicious entity needs only produce a single piece of specialized/custom hardware to overtake all the commodity mining systems combined.

Another problem with changed algorithm is that AFAIK Litecoin cannot be merge-mined together with Bitcoin, which sucks even more.

Right now any cryptocurrency can be attacked by a rich entity. There is no way to prevent this except to hope the network hash rate on the honest network side can remain superior by it becoming increasing cost prohibitive to challenge it.

So why is it perceived that something like Bitcoin can achieve network supremacy? Ponder that answer, seriously. Consider also how people are reacting to ASICS. My own belief is that as Bitcoin adoption grows so too will the resources available to defend it, not just by incidental market mining, but strategically coordinated network defenders. Governments are powerful entities with lots of money, resources, and state of the art technology.

Any specialized/custom hardware produced to target bitcoin OR litecoin would also be available to the honest network. As far as merged mining that is not a problem if both currencies gain mainstream adoption, for example. Just think about the math for a minute. World government regimes number in the hundreds, but regular people number in the billions. It wouldn't take long for any cryptocurrency to have seriously cost prohibitive attack hashing rates once usage numbered in just the tens or hundreds of millions. It doesn't take the hash rate of the entire world to be cost prohibitive to attacks.

I've also explained in that post how a new model of currency usage (storing limited wealth in cryptocurrencies) reduces or eliminates the effectiveness of any 51% attack.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: