Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 02:17:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Not Bitcoin XT  (Read 21847 times)
Legov

Activity: 244
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 08:25:01 PM

I think the best way to protect the status quo until real technical consensus is formed about the blocksize is to run more Bitcoin Core "/Satoshi:0.11.0/ (70002)" Full Nodes. So if you can afford the cost install and run Bitcoin Core 0.11.0. ASAP.

The 75% vote does not depend on the number of full nodes with the right version but on the number of new blocks with the right version.
Running more Bitcoin Core "/Satoshi:0.11.0/ (70002)" is not relevant.
Hashing on this nodes is important!

“It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and money system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” Henry Ford, founder of the Ford Motor Company.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 08:49:49 PM

This kind of spoofing will just drive away further Bitcoiners. If a fork is prematurely deployed, it will be even bigger chaos than it already is. More harm done with these fake nodes.

Core and XT exist. Why run something else anyways? More code to audit unnecessarily. Time wasted.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 09:04:41 PM
Last edit: August 17, 2015, 09:19:20 PM by Carlton Banks

This kind of spoofing will just drive away further Bitcoiners. If a fork is prematurely deployed, it will be even bigger chaos than it already is. More harm done with these fake nodes.

I think that's the point though. Why risk switching to XT and the potential chaos, even if you support it or it's features?

This is kind of a crucial point that's not been made enough: if Mike and Gavin tried to start a real alt coin, not one that relies on Bitcoin's infrastructure, they would fall flat on their faces (and they've not done much better than that otherwise). There is little to no demand for alts, people want bitcoin.

Vires in numeris
tmltd

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 09:31:34 PM

I think the best way to protect the status quo until real technical consensus is formed about the blocksize is to run more Bitcoin Core "/Satoshi:0.11.0/ (70002)" Full Nodes. So if you can afford the cost install and run Bitcoin Core 0.11.0. ASAP.

The 75% vote does not depend on the number of full nodes with the right version but on the number of new blocks with the right version.
Running more Bitcoin Core "/Satoshi:0.11.0/ (70002)" is not relevant.
Hashing on this nodes is important!

You are right. I misunderstood the 75% vote.
From BitcoinXT
By mining with Bitcoin XT you will produce blocks with a new version number. This indicates to the rest of the network that you support larger blocks. When 75% of the blocks are new-version blocks, a decision has been reached to start building larger blocks that will be rejected by Bitcoin Core nodes.
So only the miners and their hash power will decide and NOT the mass bitcoin users that support the ecosystem.

▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ Cloudmining 101: how to avoid scams / ponzis  ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁
####### Never ever invest more than you can afford to lose #######
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 09:46:49 PM

So only the miners and their hash power will decide and NOT the mass bitcoin users that support the ecosystem.

Sort of. If all miners switch to XT, but all users stay with Core, then there are no Core miners to process transactions, and no XT transactions for miners to process. Sure they can carry on mining for the block reward, but something tells me the price will tank.

So, the miners determine the triggering of the fork, but they're relying on some critical number of users to follow them, otherwise any further mining is unprofitable to them.

Vires in numeris
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 10:59:20 PM

I think that's the point though. Why risk switching to XT and the potential chaos, even if you support it or it's features?

This is kind of a crucial point that's not been made enough: if Mike and Gavin tried to start a real alt coin, not one that relies on Bitcoin's infrastructure, they would fall flat on their faces (and they've not done much better than that otherwise). There is little to no demand for alts, people want bitcoin.

If chaos is the point, then another thing to consider when using this.

If one believes in XT, he should switch to XT, if one believes in Core he should stay with core.
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 02:11:37 AM

I don't care about the outcome of BitcoinXT BUT

Those who fear BitcoinXT and try to stop organic consensus does not understand decentralization nor consensus based on economic incentive so one could argue they don't understand bitcoin at all.

Period.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 02:36:02 AM

If any brave soul was previously considering being the first to defect from Bitcoin's economic majority to begin the process of forming an alternative XT economic majority, they now have to account for the even greater risks due to the uncertainty introduced by spoofed version stamps and NotXT sybil nodes.

No business could possibly justify such a risky move, for no potential gain other than the good feeling of winning an obscure internet nerd fight.

Now its up to some very courageous individuals to jump-start XT's economy, by doing such things as selling me their bullion and coins in exchange for XTcoins.

I was sure smoothie would be XT's one crazy dancer guy who starts a party but he chickened out.  Apparently his support, being limited to running an XT node as a 'fuck you' to Team Core, is a mile wide and an inch deep.   Cheesy

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 02:48:45 AM

If any brave soul was previously considering being the first to defect from Bitcoin's economic majority to begin the process of forming an alternative XT economic majority, they now have to account for the even greater risks due to the uncertainty introduced by spoofed version stamps and NotXT sybil nodes.

No business could possibly justify such a risky move, for no potential gain other than the good feeling of winning an obscure internet nerd fight.

Now its up to some very courageous individuals to jump-start XT's economy, by doing such things as selling me their bullion and coins in exchange for XTcoins.

I was sure smoothie would be XT's one crazy dancer guy who starts a party but he chickened out.  Apparently his support, being limited to running an XT node as a 'fuck you' to Team Core, is a mile wide and an inch deep.   Cheesy

You are totally missing the point of bitcoinXT. The only thing that will lead to a majority of honest node is a bloat in the blockchain itself where businesses won't be able to process the transactions they need due to a fail of bitcoin core to deliver proper scaling on time. BitcoinXT is just a fall back plan in case of a bitcoin core failure and will happen naturally if there is a need in the market. If bitcoin core delivers then nothing will happen. I don't see the point of so much fear mongering over hard forking. THERE IS AN ECONOMIC INCENTIVE TO REACH CONSENSUS NO MATTER THE OUTCOME. Releasing the code in the wild might not be pleasing you but it relieved the stress of many people about their concerns over a bitcoin core failure. If that concern reaches consensus then be it!

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 04:14:50 AM

THERE IS AN ECONOMIC INCENTIVE TO REACH CONSENSUS NO MATTER THE OUTCOME.

BITCOIN ALREADY HAS A MULTI-YEAR, MULTI-BILLION $$$$$ CONSENSUS, AND ANYONE "BRAVE" AND "COURAGEOUS" ENOUGH TO BE THE FIRST TO DEFECT FROM IT IS GOING TO HAVE A BAD TIME.  ESPECIALLY NOW, WITH NOTXT AND PSEUDONODE ADDING TO THE FUN!

UNTIL SOMEONE IS WILLING TO SELL THEIR BULLION FOR MY XTCOINS, AN ALTERNATIVE XT ECONOMIC MAJORITY IS PURELY HYPOTHETICAL AND REMAINS BOUND TO THE REALM OF PURE SPECULATION.

/ZOMG ALLCAPS!!1!   Cheesy

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 04:30:10 AM

THERE IS AN ECONOMIC INCENTIVE TO REACH CONSENSUS NO MATTER THE OUTCOME.

BITCOIN ALREADY HAS A MULTI-YEAR, MULTI-BILLION $$$$$ CONSENSUS, AND ANYONE "BRAVE" AND "COURAGEOUS" ENOUGH TO BE THE FIRST TO DEFECT FROM IT IS GOING TO HAVE A BAD TIME.  ESPECIALLY NOW, WITH NOTXT AND PSEUDONODE ADDING TO THE FUN!

UNTIL SOMEONE IS WILLING TO SELL THEIR BULLION FOR MY XTCOINS, AN ALTERNATIVE XT ECONOMIC MAJORITY IS PURELY HYPOTHETICAL AND REMAINS BOUND TO THE REALM OF PURE SPECULATION.

/ZOMG ALLCAPS!!1!   Cheesy

It is hypothetical until it is not. Your fear of bitcoinXT is irrational and even toxic. The day bitcoin transactions becomes so bloated that big companies like Coinbase, Circle, Xapo and all and even decentralized services like OpenBazaar have no choices to use bitcoinXT to process their transactions, big mining pools will follow and a consensus will emerge  simply because there is an incentive. This is hypothetical in a sense that it will only happen if bitcoin core doesn't offer scaling on time. NotbitcoinXT is not only useless but even more dangerous than XT itself as it gives false market indicators that could lead to an unnecessary forking or bad forking timing. This war mongering attitude is the only dangerous and childish behavior in this debate.

mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 06:12:35 AM

This is gentlemen:

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

It's not using log scale, therefore it is invalid. Wink
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 07:37:07 AM

NotbitcoinXT is not only useless but even more dangerous than XT itself as it gives false market indicators that could lead to an unnecessary forking or bad forking timing. This war mongering attitude is the only dangerous and childish behavior in this debate.

Nobody cares about your lulzy, incomplete attempt to rehash of the block size debate, so I deleted it.

The entire point of NotXT is to give "false market indicators that could lead to an unnecessary forking or bad forking timing."

That's why it exists.  That's why we love it.  How could you not understand that by now?

We are leading XT into an ambush, wherein it will be contained and exterminated.

Isn't that wonderful, and hilarious?   Cheesy

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
achow101
Legendary
expert

Merit: 6720

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 11:30:53 AM

NotbitcoinXT is not only useless but even more dangerous than XT itself as it gives false market indicators that could lead to an unnecessary forking or bad forking timing. This war mongering attitude is the only dangerous and childish behavior in this debate.

Nobody cares about your lulzy, incomplete attempt to rehash of the block size debate, so I deleted it.

The entire point of NotXT is to give "false market indicators that could lead to an unnecessary forking or bad forking timing."

That's why it exists.  That's why we love it.  How could you not understand that by now?

We are leading XT into an ambush, wherein it will be contained and exterminated.

Isn't that wonderful, and hilarious?   Cheesy
I'm sorry, perhaps I'm a litttle slow, but I still don't understand how causing a premature fork is good for Bitcoin and maintains the status quo?

Wouldn't a fork create two blockchains with some people on one and others on the other. If exchanges and miners don't specify which blockchain they are on, then users get confused, new users are even more confused, and people stop using Bitcoin. People then stop using Bitcoin both because of the confusion, and the fact that two of them now exist completely discredits Bitcoin. So not only is XT discredited and abandoned, but so is Bitcoin. So please explain to me how a premature fork is actually good since it has long been established that FORKING WITHOUT CONSENSUS IS NOT A GOOD THING which is what this client is doing.

Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 11:47:12 AM

I'm sorry, perhaps I'm a litttle slow, but I still don't understand how causing a premature fork is good for Bitcoin and maintains the status quo?

Don't use the XT client then. That's the idea (hope that's got you up to speed)

Vires in numeris
DooMAD
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 3162

Leave no FUD unchallenged

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 12:07:02 PM

NotBitcoinXT can be used to protect the status quo

Of everything you've ever said on this forum, your current signature is quite possibly the most honest you've even been about your views towards Bitcoin.  You genuinely believe Bitcoin is a means to provide enormous value to a small minority.  For you it's all about preserving the status quo.  It's not just that you don't care if Bitcoin becomes a niche plaything for a wealthy elite, in fact that's your actual goal here.  You're doing everything you can to try to undermine larger blocks, because you know that your endgame doesn't involve making Bitcoin scalable, it involves forcing everyone else off of "your" chain.

Bitcoin is not and will never be about preserving the status quo.  Keep dreaming if that's how you think this plays out in the long term. 
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 12:39:09 PM

Of everything you've ever said on this forum, your current signature is quite possibly the most honest you've even been about your views towards Bitcoin.  You genuinely believe Bitcoin is a means to provide enormous value to a small minority.  For you it's all about preserving the status quo.  It's not just that you don't care if Bitcoin becomes a niche plaything for a wealthy elite, in fact that's your actual goal here.  You're doing everything you can to try to undermine larger blocks, because you know that your endgame doesn't involve making Bitcoin scalable, it involves forcing everyone else off of "your" chain.

Bitcoin is not and will never be about preserving the status quo.  Keep dreaming if that's how you think this plays out in the long term. 

I think most on this sub-forum are aware that scaling up the current design isn't the only way to allow for mainstream sized transaction rates.

Vires in numeris
knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 12:48:36 PM

I think most on this sub-forum are aware that scaling up the current design isn't the only way to allow for mainstream sized transaction rates.

Not the only way indeed but currently the only way. It's kind of the point.

arnuschky

Activity: 517
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 01:42:02 PM

Completely independent from whether or not we need to increase block sizes,
this fork is about the most destructive thing in the community that I've seen to date.

At the moment, only the developers get to decide on what's merged into Bitcoin Core, and what isn't.
Additionally to that, theymos took away the possibility of open discussion on this forum and reddit.
In the end, bitcoin consensus is the only method of voting left to the community.

Whichever fork wins the vote, so be it, it got consensus. Removing this possibility
from the community seems really counter-productive.

By using this fork, you're not voting for one of option or the other. Instead, you're
the guy gunning down people standing in line in front of the ballot.
Seccour
Legendary

Activity: 1619
Merit: 1004

Bitcoiner, Crypto-anarchist and Cypherpunk.

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 01:59:48 PM

Not the only way indeed but currently the only way. It's kind of the point.

Yes it's currently the only way. And protect the status quo is just useless. We need to push the block size higher, but BIP 101 isn't the only way to do it... BIP 102 & BIP 103 are some other way to do it but people here prefer to fight against XT than finding solution until we got some working other solution like lightning network [...]

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: