Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:26:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ...  (Read 60963 times)
Cryptology
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

In Cryptography We Trust

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 06:38:36 AM

Thanks for bringing this up. Clearly there is much more in the XT agenda than just block sizes.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
danielW

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 06:38:56 AM

Somebody should post those quotes to the reddit crowd. (I dont have energy for that place anymore).
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 06:40:10 AM

Somebody should post those quotes to the reddit crowd. (I dont have energy for that place anymore).

Why bother. Reddit (as far as I am concerned) is a place where practically no valuable information is exchanged.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
sergio

Activity: 313
Merit: 258

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2015, 06:46:06 AM

Bitcoin XT is all about centralization, and it is bound to die by itself. The problem is that it is causing a division in the  Bitcoin community and causing many of loyal Bitcoin users to lose lots of money situation which is not acceptable.

Furthermore the banning of IP address in the code is totally against the spirit of Bitcoin.

Lets all stick to bitcoin core and hope for the best, at least bitcoin core is about decentralization and financial freedom.

Consensus should have been respected, the reason sometimes consensus is hard to reach is because when it is not respected we have problems like the ones we are having now.

Lets hope Bitcoin does not fall bellow $200.

I predict Bitcoin Core will survive, after  all it is the honeybadger of money, but the honeybadger of money has been hurt very badly and this time it may take a long time to recover.

Bitcoin Core as it is currently and for many years to come works fine.

Now with the mess that bitcoin xt is causing the need for larger blocks goes down.

The reason bitcoin xt wil die on it own, is simple as the block reward goes down every 4 years and there is no reason to pay transaction fees, mining goes down as the block reward goes down, that in addition to the cost 20 times higher of keeping a database 20 times bigger, as mining goes down it is vulnerable to a 50% attack.

The reason bitcoin core does not have this problem, is that as block reward goes down, somehow that is compensated with mining fees going up, and to run a full node is 20 time cheaper due to the 20 times smaller database.

Mining fees going up it is not a problem since it is still a magnitude of times cheaper than paypal, visa, wester union, etc.
For micro transactions it is not a problem, since most people will not go though the trouble of a double spend to steal $1 dollar.

In regards to moorse law, it is valid for a given period of time, but not forever since after some time physical limitations imposed by mother nature are reached, like for example an electron can travel so fast, the max speed is the speed of light, and son on, as it can be seen with computers already over 10 years ago, every 2 years the speed was doubling, well now it is more like every 3 or 4 years for the speed of a cpu to double, or a hard disk to double in capacity.
It really sucks what is going on.

Lets all stick to Bitcoin Core, it is not just money, it is financial freedom.
Bitcoin core is the revolution, Bitcoin xt is the counter revolution.
I would not be surprised if big brother was behind bitcoin xt.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2015, 06:47:28 AM

Any interest and or consideration I had for XT and the 'team' behind it just went out the window.

I will not touch XT and for that matter entertain anything coming from the XT 'team' anymore, no matter what explanation and or changes they come up with after this.

For me personally XT is as good as dead.

XT isn't dead until we lure it into NotXT's trap, then demonstrate why attempting a hard fork is a bad idea (especially for first movers).

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Thekool1s
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1218

Change is in your hands

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 06:56:44 AM

These things can through away Bitcoin into more problems.  So we must need to stick with Bitcoin Core.

I have been familiarizing myself with the issue and have to agree. Stick to core, there are many OTHER ways to achieve code fixes, larger block sizes, ect then a hard fork. The thought of this hard fork scares me to the point I'm ready to go into fiat until everything stablizes... It's making me sick....

Yup same thoughts here, thinking of selling btc right now and when we are the lowest buy again, Lets just hope bitcoin survives or else we can expect some altcoin which will take over probably litecoin etc.
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 07:03:07 AM

XT isn't dead until we lure it into NotXT's trap, then demonstrate why attempting a hard fork is a bad idea (especially for first movers).

That is another false flag, cypherdoc.  A sign of desperation by your team.
glub0x
Legendary

Activity: 892
Merit: 1013

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 07:04:27 AM

Just to clarify, changing the blocksize is a fundamental change, it changes the protocol Bitcoin.
It needs everybody to adopt it otherwise it won't work.

This doesn't, it changes one application but anyone could run a different application that would work as well without any problem.

That being said i think they should have only put the blocksize into this bitcoin xt fork. putting other change into XT is just giving the stick to be beaten.
I still support XT, if any anonimity problem should arise, anybody could write a new version without this tracking, it would work perfectly.

The cost of mediation increases transaction costs, limiting the
minimum practical transaction size and cutting off the possibility for small casual transactions

Satoshi Nakamoto : https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 07:12:36 AM

and what about dynamic IP? this thing can not work also blacklisting all ip may lead to some genuine users that were using the same malicious ip not for bad intentions

this change even more my view on the XT client, it's not something that i would call bitcoin anymore
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 07:34:09 AM

Damn guys, this gave me chills this morning when I read it. Is this 100% sure or is it just some kind of FUD to try and discredit the XT?
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4494
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 07:35:36 AM

This code doesn't actually block anything, just marks it as being lower priority than non-Tor traffic. It should never do anything unless there's an active DoS attack via Tor. So perfect accuracy isn't really needed here: Tor access still works fine and will do even if you run a Bitcoin node and Tor node on the same machine.

That said, I'll make a mental note to switch to the second URL when I work on this code again (might be soon, given the ongoing DoS attacks via Tor we're seeing).

It explicitly says it disconnects addresses with low to negative priority.

This would be the first time in history that anyone was blacklisted from using Bitcoin if XT forks, it's a big deal and against the fundamental reasons Bitcoin is used.
Well, as long as you ignore what Luke-Jr put into the default Gentoo Bitcoin release switched on by default ...
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=524512
Note, he repeated that again with a later version, so I guess XT would be the 3rd?

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
JackH

Activity: 381
Merit: 255

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 08:23:58 AM

I think we can clearly see now that XT is just an altcoin and nothing but a hostile takeover from a few people that are most likely bought by an interest group. Stay away from XT, it is cancer to the Bitcoin community.

<helo> funny that this proposal grows the maximum block size to 8GB, and is seen as a compromise
<helo> oh, you don't like a 20x increase? well how about 8192x increase?
<JackH> lmao
ChetnotAtkins

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 08:33:54 AM

XT is a nebulous interest group's attempt to gain control over the development of the largest cryptocurrency. At this point, if you understand or care in any way about Bitcoin, you simply cannot support it.

It is really a shame that Gavin has chosen such a destructive path, I wonder how high the price of his moral integrity was.
iGotSpots
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1054

CPU Web Mining 🕸️ on webmining.io

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2015, 08:37:15 AM

This is really fucked up. Basically a 'feature' like this is the anti-ethos to what Bitcoin was created for, just like increasing the blocksize squeezes out the users it was made to help most

Just when I thought my respect for these two couldn't get any lower..

vgo
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 08:38:19 AM

You can not discuss this here. Please move to altcoin discussion.

Agree. This is not Bitcoin .
alexr_96

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

0x9CE937CD

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2015, 08:43:05 AM

Disagree, hard forks are part of bitcoin.
Sector

Activity: 313
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 08:44:11 AM

There are more than half of a million users on my sites, and I will never use an xt. It's not a Bitcoin.
vgo
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 09:06:28 AM

Better call satoshi...  Roll Eyes
sAt0sHiFanClub

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Warning: Confrmed Gavinista

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2015, 09:06:42 AM

This is really fucked up. Basically a 'feature' like this is the anti-ethos to what Bitcoin was created for, just like increasing the blocksize squeezes out the users it was made to help most

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but its on the way for core too...

You have privacy issues but dont care about being vulnerable to DDos?

set -listen=0
 set -disableipprio=0

Problem solved. Now, nobody will know where you are relaying from.

+void InitIPGroups(CScheduler *scheduler) {
+    // If scheduler is NULL then we're in unit tests.
+    if (scheduler) {
+        // Don't use in regtest mode to avoid excessive and useless HTTP requests, don't use if the user disabled.
+        if (GetBoolArg("-disableipprio", false) || Params().NetworkIDString() == "regtest" || !fListen)
+            return;
+        // If we have a proxy, then we are most likely not reachable from the internet, so don't use.
+        proxyType dummy;
+        if (GetProxy(NET_IPV4, dummy) || GetProxy(NET_IPV6, dummy) || GetProxy(NET_TOR, dummy))
+            return;
+    }

We must make money worse as a commodity if we wish to make it better as a medium of exchange
iGotSpots
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1054

CPU Web Mining 🕸️ on webmining.io

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2015, 09:12:25 AM

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but its on the way for core too...

You have privacy issues but dont care about being vulnerable to DDos?

set -listen=0
 set -disableipprio=0

Problem solved. Now, nobody will know where you are relaying from.

+void InitIPGroups(CScheduler *scheduler) {
+    // If scheduler is NULL then we're in unit tests.
+    if (scheduler) {
+        // Don't use in regtest mode to avoid excessive and useless HTTP requests, don't use if the user disabled.
+        if (GetBoolArg("-disableipprio", false) || Params().NetworkIDString() == "regtest" || !fListen)
+            return;
+        // If we have a proxy, then we are most likely not reachable from the internet, so don't use.
+        proxyType dummy;
+        if (GetProxy(NET_IPV4, dummy) || GetProxy(NET_IPV6, dummy) || GetProxy(NET_TOR, dummy))
+            return;
+    }

No, I personally do not care. My name and face are everywhere on Twitter and in altcoins

The potential loss of privacy, while a fairly big one, is not the main issue

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »
  Print  

Jump to: