Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:23:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Hands On] Bitmain AntMiner S5+ - Notlist3d  (Read 14030 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 10:22:49 AM

S5+ is better built as S5.
But only S5+ problem is - broken software .
An S5+ is not working choice - Customize the fan speed percentage.

Customize the fan speed percentage-  works perfectly with S5 controller.

S5+ single with S5 controller

Fan1  2,640  Fan2  2,400   Temp 62, 62, 65  Frequency 325

Fan1  3,480  Fan2  3,480   Temp 53, 51, 55  Frequency 325

Thank  you for sharing all that you have.  I'm glad to see I'm not the only one to think it is better built.

I will agree software is pretty much of S5.  Only thing different is I did have no network connectivity and it did not get warn, or have issues as some S5's say they did.

I wonder if they had better screening or what has caused no one yet atleast to show a screenshot of an issue with hardware.
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 12:47:08 PM

Last S5+ miners blade  is  broken.
A broken fan-sided last blade.

notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 12:52:51 PM

Dang sorry to hear that.  There goes perfect record, make sure to get a ticket in so you can start that RMA.  Hopefully they will just ship you a hashing board.  Please let us know how it turns out on rma and how they treat you.
mavericklm

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 28, 2015, 01:41:33 PM

Man.... with sptech always problems, with c1 problems, with S5+.......
Tupsu, u are the man!
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 01:39:57 AM

Any word from them? Was not sure with it being Friday if would be able to get good anwser.

How did they treat you so far with RMA?
flikflak

Activity: 408
Merit: 259

View Profile
August 29, 2015, 01:39:57 PM

Aww thats not looking good.
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 31, 2015, 09:54:09 AM

Kinda a overview of past week.  They no longer have a perfect release with no pictures of bad hashing board.   Still waiting to hear how it went for Tupsu on RMA.

The S5+ form factor was kept for the S7 surprising most.  It is a good form factor just surprising for the S7 release.
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 03, 2015, 03:38:10 PM

My personal experience is still great.  I did change pools as one of mine the pool had issues.  But as far as the unit it's still running solid:

Tupsu
Legendary

View Profile
September 03, 2015, 04:04:30 PM

My personal experience is still great.  I did change pools as one of mine the pool had issues.  But as far as the unit it's still running solid:

Mine certainly does not great.

Tomorrow,  I will shipp return at own expense to  China  2 x S5+ blades. They are heavy.

Their only choice for shipping is offered UPS or EMS. In any case, it is going to cost me more than 50 euro shipping costs.

I am very disappointed with their warranty service.      

Although the miner arrived DOA, they refuse to send me UPS shipping label.

I remember when S1 arrived DOA , they sent in without the hassle UPS shipping label.

The main thing is, the S5+ miners are heavily used. At least a month.Mine was full of black dust from the inside .

The recommendation,  do not buy it. Poor warranty service.

If you need to buy, open immediately a courier. If something is broken, do not accept package.
But even than, Bitmain can take from you miner  return cost
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 03, 2015, 04:41:11 PM

My personal experience is still great.  I did change pools as one of mine the pool had issues.  But as far as the unit it's still running solid:

Mine certainly does not great.

Tomorrow,  I will shipp return at own expense to  China  2 x S5+ blades. They are heavy.

Their only choice for shipping is offered UPS or EMS. In any case, it is going to cost me more than 50 euro shipping costs.

I am very disappointed with their warranty service.      

Although the miner arrived DOA, they refuse to send me UPS shipping label.

I remember when S1 arrived DOA , they sent in without the hassle UPS shipping label.

The main thing is, the S5+ miners are heavily used. At least a month.Mine was full of black dust from the inside .

The recommendation,  do not buy it. Poor warranty service.

If you need to buy, open immediately a courier. If something is broken, do not accept package.
But even than, Bitmain can take from you miner  return cost

Sad to hear about your experience.   We definitely had two different experiences.   I can't defend the RMA that does sound like it was a hassle, I wondered how it turned out.

Hopefully they can perfect that part of RMA and shipping damage you had as S7 is the same design.

What type of environment are you running in?   My S5+ showed up very clean and so far appears to not be dusty from the look I had at it.  I went to check after your post.
generalt
Legendary

Activity: 1096
Merit: 1021

View Profile
September 03, 2015, 08:33:16 PM

Sucks about the return hassle.  I can understand that they have to protect themselves against people calling in false claims of broken parts to get spares, but if it arrives DOA they should really do better to help you out.  I wonder if it is because they're really short on the S5+ chips and boards that they make you ship it back to them.

BTC: 1GENERALrtBAjEv2Ps5cmEW1FADnXh1bCZ
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 03, 2015, 09:05:01 PM

Sucks about the return hassle.  I can understand that they have to protect themselves against people calling in false claims of broken parts to get spares, but if it arrives DOA they should really do better to help you out.  I wonder if it is because they're really short on the S5+ chips and boards that they make you ship it back to them.

They were very specific on S5+'s they sent a paper with them and an email to account that ordered them.  They basically said things that void warranty and made sure you use 3 PCIe per hashing board.

So I suspect they have you to mail it in to verify all the things they said void warranty, and what damage is from.  It is a business decision I'm sure. 

The biggest thing I was surprised was was he mentioned his looked like it ran a month.   Mine came very clean and did not look dusty in any way.  So not sure if he got unlucky or what happened.
generalt
Legendary

Activity: 1096
Merit: 1021

View Profile
September 03, 2015, 10:51:50 PM

They were very specific on S5+'s they sent a paper with them and an email to account that ordered them.  They basically said things that void warranty and made sure you use 3 PCIe per hashing board.

So I suspect they have you to mail it in to verify all the things they said void warranty, and what damage is from.  It is a business decision I'm sure. 

The biggest thing I was surprised was was he mentioned his looked like it ran a month.   Mine came very clean and did not look dusty in any way.  So not sure if he got unlucky or what happened.

Yeah dust on "new" equipment is always worrisome.  Oddly it's not the first time I heard of dust on new equipment being sold.

BTC: 1GENERALrtBAjEv2Ps5cmEW1FADnXh1bCZ
Tupsu
Legendary

View Profile
September 04, 2015, 01:25:52 PM

This was a miner, came to the old galvanized metal housing.
EDIT.

Shipped today 2 x S5+ blade to China with EMS
1.44kg
costs me 67.10 EURO

Very expensive warranty.

And they still have not sent me a replacement FAN. The recommendation was to use so long- DOMESTIC FAN
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 05, 2015, 04:23:34 AM

This was a miner, came to the old galvanized metal housing.
EDIT.

Shipped today 2 x S5+ blade to China with EMS
1.44kg
costs me 67.10 EURO

Very expensive warranty.

And they still have not sent me a replacement FAN. The recommendation was to use so long- DOMESTIC FAN

It is not cheap.  But not horrible since two blades and they will be shipping 2 blades back.  I hope they get them to you quickly.     

If you think this is bad you should have tried RMA with syscooling on C1 water kits.  I guess I see don't judge as hard after them.  Took syscooling over a month to get me a pump.  And two out of two pumps died.  Both month or longer to get replacement.  So I had to buy pumps on my own to get then quicker.  But that is off topic I guess.

Please let us know time from shipment till when you get replacement once you get them.  Thank you for sharing all you experiences.
Tupsu
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 12:04:20 PM

Fastest S5 ever  2,9TH/s

S5 and 2x S5+ blades on single S5 controller

Click to enlarge
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2015, 01:50:25 PM

Fastest S5 ever  2,9TH/s

S5 and 2x S5+ blades on single S5 controller

Click to enlarge

Thanks for sharing! I love your projects where you mix or make something.   You did a ton of great watercooling mods to.
numnutz2009

Activity: 387
Merit: 254

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 04:49:31 AM

The s5+ i got had zero dust in it. I was suprised it was so damn cleanlol

1 thing to note about the warranty is (and i noticed it only when they emailed me the doc the day the miner was set to be delivered):

"3. In some cases, the warranty will be void, but Bitmain can still do repairs at your own expense if requested. The following events will void the warranty:
     a. Customer removes/replaces any components by himself without receiving permission from Bitmain first;
     b. Damage caused by electrical surges, lightning, or inadequate power supply;
     c. Burnt parts on hash boards or chips;
     d. Miner/boards/components damage due to water immersion or corrosion due to wet environment."

Look at letter "c" in the above reasons to void the warranty. "C" shouldnt ever be listed with a miner because when a miner fails it rarely does so without leaving some char mark on and or around the component that failed. Things like chips and smd caps tend to bubble and darken the surrounding areas so by putting this in the "reasons for warranties being void" section makes the warranty pretty much pointless. Ontop of that opening the miner can void the warranty too so just trying to look at the non working board/boards can get u a big old "warranty voided" sticker slapped on ur super expensive purchase. Kinda sucks that they gave me this info only after i made my purchase so i couldnt decide beforehand. Maybe i missed this info when i read the description of the miner.
Tupsu
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 10:34:10 AM

1 thing to note about the warranty is (and i noticed it only when they emailed me the doc the day the miner was set to be delivered):

"3. In some cases, the warranty will be void, but Bitmain can still do repairs at your own expense if requested. The following events will void the warranty:
     a. Customer removes/replaces any components by himself without receiving permission from Bitmain first;
     d. Miner/boards/components damage due to water immersion or corrosion due to wet environment."

Look at letter "c" in the above reasons to void the warranty. "C" shouldnt ever be listed with a miner because when a miner fails it rarely does so without leaving some char mark on and or around the component that failed. Things like chips and smd caps tend to bubble and darken the surrounding areas so by putting this in the "reasons for warranties being void" section makes the warranty pretty much pointless. Ontop of that opening the miner can void the warranty too so just trying to look at the non working board/boards can get u a big old "warranty voided" sticker slapped on ur super expensive purchase. Kinda sucks that they gave me this info only after i made my purchase so i couldnt decide beforehand. Maybe i missed this info when i read the description of the miner.

S5+ not working  hashboard

Click to enlarge

notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2015, 01:09:16 PM

Warranty has changed GREATLY from the old day's.   If you are going to open it up you really need a ticket on bitmain's site stating you had permission.   Even replacing a fan for less sound ..... void warranty.  I can see why they needed to change it some though.   They make sure you know all of this though it comes with a paper with miner and an email sent to you.

I think C was put there so they have grounds in overclocking and bad PSU's to void.  Some use very cheap PSU's.... and they can burn so makes sense there. 

I still am very happy with my S5+.  No issues and came clean as if not used for long period of time.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: