Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:15:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which is the best pool to join with your ASIC?  (Read 7690 times)
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 02:51:10 PM

According to BFL, shipping will begin in 2-3 weeks.. People need to be ready to milk those asics

So it looks like not many pools are ready for ASICS?

The ones that are will leave the rest behind..
if ASIC are getting delivered tomorrow, yes.
BUT as ASIC will not be here until December sometime (at earliest)... plenty of time Smiley
Personally I think this thread is rather premature.

That's in "BFL Time".  Add 6 months for the first batch.  Then assume 4-6 weeks delivery is 4-6 months for the first year.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
yrtrnc (OP)

Activity: 605
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 04:43:53 PM

"BFL TIME" LOL, that one gave me a tickle... Dont set your experiences in concrete maybe this time round they'll do a lil better... lol Grin

According to BFL, shipping will begin in 2-3 weeks.. People need to be ready to milk those asics

BUT as ASIC will not be here until December sometime (at earliest)... plenty of time Smiley

That's in "BFL Time".  Add 6 months for the first batch.  Then assume 4-6 weeks delivery is 4-6 months for the first year.
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 04:47:39 PM

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
yrtrnc (OP)

Activity: 605

View Profile
October 17, 2012, 08:45:49 PM

valve time sounds alot like the place I come from...

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time
HolyScott

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 02:47:31 AM

So what are people preferring? Stratum or GBT?
Shadow383

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 03:12:25 AM

+1
Also, don't forget the concept of "BFL Watts", where 1 BFL Watt is equal to about four real-world Watts once production actually begins.
tomaszsz

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 01:21:14 PM

such polmine.pl which supports   GBT

Maybe not the best example for a pool to use. Remember when they stole from their miners? https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=50779.0

For some reason some people keep mining there.

very bad way  to promote your pool  mr. BitMinter.com Operator

1. polmine.pl NEVER stole anything
2. everything was described on forum.polmine.pl BEFORE

so dont LIE .. OK ?

polmine its the best pool, with new features,very profitable to miners ,  so keep your lies to you. OK ?

An please remeber that centralization is VERY BAD for BitCoin, it is beter to have a lot medium pool, than few big which use strange rules and promote by lies such a BitMinter.com
gmaxwell
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8411

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2012, 02:07:33 PM

P2pool. Which has always been based on variable difficulty and fast local work generation.

P2Pool also protects your investment in Bitcoin (and Bitcoin hardware) by not degrading Bitcoin's decenteralization by blindly depending on a centralized pool which must be trusted to not attack bitcoin and not steal from their users. If the roll out of ASICs gives one of the early updated centralized pools 75% of hashpower and the ability to reverse and replace their own transactions at will, what should that rightfully do to the valuation of Bitcoin?
squid

Activity: 112

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 02:17:35 PM

P2pool. Which has always been based on variable difficulty and fast local work generation.

P2Pool also protects your investment in Bitcoin (and Bitcoin hardware) by not degrading Bitcoin's decenteralization by blindly depending on a centralized pool which must be trusted to not attack bitcoin and not steal from their users. If the roll out of ASICs gives one of the early updated centralized pools 75% of hashpower and the ability to reverse and replace their own transactions at will, what should that rightfully do to the valuation of Bitcoin?

+1 to p2pool, while I haven't delved into it yet, I will probably once ASICs start arriving. Ultimately p2pool is best for te network as a whole.
flower1024
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 02:19:08 PM

what do you think about GBT pools? they should offer the same level of decentralisation as p2pool.
or am i missing something?
dirtycat

Activity: 456
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 02:34:47 PM

+1 to p2pool, while I haven't delved into it yet, I will probably once ASICs start arriving. Ultimately p2pool is best for te network as a whole.

+2 p2pool!

poop!
gmaxwell
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8411

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2012, 03:12:21 PM

what do you think about GBT pools? they should offer the same level of decentralisation as p2pool.
or am i missing something?

They do not currently— Luke's very active protests to the contrary—.  A GBT pool is _transparent_ but unless you're running a local copy of Bitcoin and a running miner software that checks the work against the local copy, or against other pools— that transparency doesn't actually accomplish much. GBT pools also perform centralized payouts still, so even once someone develops software to sanity check check the GBT it still won't prevent a GBT pool operator from stealing from miners.

GBT is a good step in the right direction, when miner software evolves to add more checks (as BFGminer has been doing) it will prevent some kinds of abuses— I think miners should _refuse_ to use anything less transparent (though note: After discussing it with Slush he's agreed to add more transparency to Stratum)... but P2Pool is still the current gold standard relative to decentralization. It also has zero fees and pays miners the increasingly important transaction fees which few centeralized pools do.

P2Pool isn't free though: You have to effectively run a setup for solo mining, e.g. a copy of bitcoin-qt or bitcoind, and there is somewhat more network bandwidth usage. It has somewhat higher payout variance for smaller miners than a pool of the same size (due to the higher share difficulty), and if you don't want to get split off into a sub-pool of unupgraded miners you need to update from time to time (it tells you when a majority of hashpower is on a new version) .  OTOOH, it means you're always setup to solo mine, and the p2pool technical community tends to be very helpful.

DrHaribo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1034

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2012, 04:09:41 PM

1. polmine.pl NEVER stole anything
2. everything was described on forum.polmine.pl BEFORE

so dont LIE .. OK ?

Let's be honest now. You took money out of the accounts of your users because you wanted a buffer to run PPS. I agree PPS is very dangerous for a pool op and you need a large buffer to even attempt it. But you can't just take other people's money.

Can you understand that the people in this thread are unhappy that bitcoins suddenly disappeared from their accounts?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=50779.0

The thread has a google translation of the explanation from your site. If it's not stealing, then what is it? I think you should apologize to those miners and give their money back.

▶▶▶ bitminter.com 2011-2020 ▶▶▶ pool.xbtodigital.io 2023-
VeeMiner

Activity: 752

bitcoin hodler

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 08:22:49 PM

Stratum - Slush is the best option
abracadabra

Activity: 956

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 08:37:32 PM

In general, the large pools are bad in terms of support  decentralization,
I recommend the use of medium-sized

such polmine.pl which supports   GBT

I'd recommend against using polmine.  They stole about 4BTC from me last year when they froze payouts and then retroactively switched payout methods.
abracadabra

Activity: 956

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 08:40:53 PM

LOL!  "BFL Time!" I love it.
squid

Activity: 112

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 09:09:19 PM

LOL!  "BFL Time!" I love it.

I want to say BFL is the Valve of the bitcoin world... but Valve is too awesome so it would be an unfair comparison
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 1632

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2012, 02:34:45 AM

Not quite... it actually accepts diff 1 shares and tests them all against its internal variable difficulty, and still operates off the getwork protocol. In its current form I'm pretty sure it would consume a lot of CPU trying to keep ASICs busy since it already consumes quite a lot of CPU without this added load.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 10:50:27 AM

Not quite... it actually accepts diff 1 shares and tests them all against its internal variable difficulty, and still operates off the getwork protocol. In its current form I'm pretty sure it would consume a lot of CPU trying to keep ASICs busy since it already consumes quite a lot of CPU without this added load.

A 60 GH/s rig would find a share in just under 1 minute. I find it hard to believe that it will cause anyone any problems.

Buy & Hold
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 12:46:03 PM

I saw slash play live in Brisbane last year. 

Any pool that has upgraded to Stratum or GBT based pool servers.

Stratum - BTC Guild & Slash
GBT - EclipseMC and Eligius
It'd be awesome if Guns n' Roses lead guitarist Slash had made a mining pool... Welcome to the jungle...

That is how the song goes in my head now.
Welcome to the jungle...
We got FPGAs...

*continue awesome guitar riff*

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: