Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 06:16:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Downward trend imminent  (Read 9779 times)
mobodick

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 02:00:46 PM

GLBSE users has been starting to get their coins back now, it'll be interesting to see if their action is what I predicted (sell their coins for cash). If they do sell, we should see low $11 quite soon, and it'll trigger another round of selling, that'll bring us to $10 and possibly below.

well here comes low $11, price will probably stabilize for a few days at this level, and then another leg down to $10s

I hope for a correction so i see it as cheap coins atm Smiley

Your best shot for cheap coins was when it went below $3 earlier this year. This down trend won't go much below $10, I would say $8 is the absolute bottom. Unless something really bad happens.
Hehe.,., there is cheap coin and there is cheap coin.
Agree with your assessment btw.
Maybe $8 is a bit too low but i think the max bottom is below $10.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 04:15:00 PM

Your best shot for cheap coins was when it went below $3 earlier this year. This down trend won't go much below $10, I would say $8 is the absolute bottom. Unless something really bad happens.

• Gox USD price never was below 3 USD this year.
  • Wow @ predicting the peaks of Bitcoin price movement with accuracy on the order of 10%. Shocked

It's Bitcoin. IMO we could all be off by a factor and suddenly end up at 30 or 0.6, both numbers we've already seen in the last two years.
mobodick

Activity: 840

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 04:50:26 PM

• Gox USD price never was below 3 USD this year.
  • Wow @ predicting the peaks of Bitcoin price movement with accuracy on the order of 10%. Shocked

It's Bitcoin. IMO we could all be off by a factor and suddenly end up at 30 or 0.6, both numbers we've already seen in the last two years.
Normally i would agree, but i have identified a systemic bottom to bitcoin.
see: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=113725.0

runeks
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2012, 05:25:49 PM

I highly doubt that we will see $5 coins again, ever. But that's just my humble opinion. Unless confidence in Bitcoin itself (the protocol, or the reference client's implementation of it) is impacted. I actually think $11 is quite low (current price is $11.06 as of this writing).

I'm planning on spending the rest of my Mt. Gox balance ($140) on $11 coins right now. But price seems to be dropping right now, so I might wait a bit.

EDIT: Just bought 12.84 BTC for $142.

Cut to price crashing to $8 Cheesy
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 01:44:00 AM

It seems like the down into rising selling volume is becoming entrenched, with some relatively large sales going through on down slides.

It is indicative of saturation, i.e. the huge rate of inflation of bitcoin, currently ~25%, has finally caught up to what has actually been until now a phenomenal rate of adoption. It seems that the scheduled halving of bitcoin inflation rate in 5,000 blocks can not come a moment too soon, although it too is probably throwing uncertainty over the market.

But in the meantime I can see a powerful selling down, perhaps revisiting the hard floor at cost-of-production (around $4) but may go as low as $2.5 depending on how much pain the new ASIC miners can handle with their cost of capital for shiny new hardware, i.e. will they keep pumping bitcoins at a loss or rather buy at the market?

Anyway, look out below is my advice.

kokojie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 01:55:49 AM

It seems like the down into rising selling volume is becoming entrenched, with some relatively large sales going through on down slides.

It is indicative of saturation, i.e. the huge rate of inflation of bitcoin, currently ~25%, has finally caught up to what has actually been until now a phenomenal rate of adoption. It seems that the scheduled halving of bitcoin inflation rate in 5,000 blocks can not come a moment too soon, although it too is probably throwing uncertainty over the market.

But in the meantime I can see a powerful selling down, perhaps revisiting the hard floor at cost-of-production (around $4) but may go as low as $2.5 depending on how much pain the new ASIC miners can handle with their cost of capital for shiny new hardware, i.e. will they keep pumping bitcoins at a loss or rather buy at the market?

With ASIC, there is only very tiny cost of production, since the cost is mostly upfront. The cost of ongoing production is less than $1.00 per BTC, so the ASIC miners don't really lose money, they just take longer to break even, there's no reason for them to turn off their machine ever.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
steamboat

Activity: 648
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 02:48:04 AM

With ASIC, there is only very tiny cost of production, since the cost is mostly upfront. The cost of ongoing production is less than $1.00 per BTC, so the ASIC miners don't really lose money, they just take longer to break even, there's no reason for them to turn off their machine ever.

I keep seeing this sentiment all over the forums. the cost of ongoing production is less than $1.00 per BTC right now. That will change very quickly as more miners get ASIC. the switch to ASIC will be much the same as the switch from CPU to GPU. The deployment will take longer because miners don't have ASICs sitting in their computers already, but the amount of hashing power is going to explode. Remember, there are a finite # of blocks to be found. Think of it as an arms race. Yes, if you're the first person on the battlefield with a gattling gun, you're going to greatly increase the effectiveness of your army. But sooner or later (and in the case of ASIC, sooner) your enemy will get gattling guns too and the cost of war will go up.

ASIC miners available for purchase

Those who serve best, profit most.
da2ce7
Legendary

Activity: 1222
Merit: 1016

Live and Let Live

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 03:29:39 AM

I keep seeing this sentiment all over the forums. the cost of ongoing production is less than $1.00 per BTC right now. That will change very quickly as more miners get ASIC. the switch to ASIC will be much the same as the switch from CPU to GPU. The deployment will take longer because miners don't have ASICs sitting in their computers already, but the amount of hashing power is going to explode. Remember, there are a finite # of blocks to be found. Think of it as an arms race. Yes, if you're the first person on the battlefield with a gattling gun, you're going to greatly increase the effectiveness of your army. But sooner or later (and in the case of ASIC, sooner) your enemy will get gattling guns too and the cost of war will go up.

If there is a flood of ASIC bitcoin's trying to get sold.... well then this is going to be the best buying optionality you'll get in a long time... Wait-out with your cash sitting on the exchanges...  soon after the difficulty shoots right up.... start buying.

One off NP-Hard.
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 03:43:34 AM

I keep seeing this sentiment all over the forums. the cost of ongoing production is less than $1.00 per BTC right now.

If that's the cost of making a bitcoin then people are insane to buy them for $10+ right now.

Think of it as an arms race. Yes, if you're the first person on the battlefield with a gattling gun, you're going to greatly increase the effectiveness of your army. But sooner or later (and in the case of ASIC, sooner) your enemy will get gattling guns too and the cost of war will go up.

The first people with ASICs are going to make a killing.  Anyone receiving their ASIC a week or so later is going to spend many months paying it off.  The window for fat profits is literally only a few days before the hash rate skyrockets.  BFL sending orders out will be a true popcorn moment for bitcoin. 

Pressure to sell bitcoins to recover ASIC costs will be intense.  Graphics cards can be used for gaming, scientific computing or sold on eBay for someone else to do the same.  Bitcoin ASICs have only one use and it'll be a huge race to the bottom to recover costs.
kokojie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 04:03:38 AM

I keep seeing this sentiment all over the forums. the cost of ongoing production is less than $1.00 per BTC right now.

If that's the cost of making a bitcoin then people are insane to buy them for $10+ right now.

Think of it as an arms race. Yes, if you're the first person on the battlefield with a gattling gun, you're going to greatly increase the effectiveness of your army. But sooner or later (and in the case of ASIC, sooner) your enemy will get gattling guns too and the cost of war will go up.

The first people with ASICs are going to make a killing.  Anyone receiving their ASIC a week or so later is going to spend many months paying it off.  The window for fat profits is literally only a few days before the hash rate skyrockets.  BFL sending orders out will be a true popcorn moment for bitcoin.  

Pressure to sell bitcoins to recover ASIC costs will be intense.  Graphics cards can be used for gaming, scientific computing or sold on eBay for someone else to do the same.  Bitcoin ASICs have only one use and it'll be a huge race to the bottom to recover costs.

sub $1 is the cost to produce bitcoin once you have the equipment, but the initial investment is quite high, you have to estimate how long it will take to break even. I think most people will see 1-2 years as acceptable, though I think realistically we will be looking at 2-3 years once competition gets intense. At that time there would be another halving, so all bets are off again. I don't expect ASIC owners to really make that much money in the long run.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 08:07:54 AM

I highly doubt that we will see $5 coins again, ever. But that's just my humble opinion. Unless confidence in Bitcoin itself (the protocol, or the reference client's implementation of it) is impacted. I actually think $11 is quite low (current price is $11.06 as of this writing).

I'm planning on spending the rest of my Mt. Gox balance ($140) on $11 coins right now. But price seems to be dropping right now, so I might wait a bit.

EDIT: Just bought 12.84 BTC for $142.

Cut to price crashing to $8 Cheesy

Edit: Price down to 10.6.

more or less retired.
ercolinux
Legendary

Activity: 938

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2012, 10:07:09 AM

$1 for production cost is only for few countries: assuming a 7X in difficulty at the start of ASIC era I got a energy cost in the range $1,00-2.8 from USA to EU country. Plus the $1200-1600 (again price are different from country to country) of RIG to repay that charge another $2.5-$3 to the stat calculating a 1yr ROI and no more ASIC sold.
With ASIC production cost is the $3.5-6 range, but 8-9 is more realistic

Bitrated user: ercolinux.
EuroTrash

Activity: 728

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 12:09:57 PM

I just think that GLBSE turning out to be another scam* coming from a (ex-) highly trusted member of the community, has shattered the trust of many small-amount investors. Also the subsequent fingerpointing game is involving some admins and moderators, which in turn are losing their patience and banning long time members. All of this leaves some bitter feeling that will take some time to heal.

By "small-amount investors" I'm referring to the kind of computer-savvy type that understands how bitcoin works and would see in it a chance to make fast money due to fiat value of bitcoin increasing. Well, I expect most of the people in bitcoin world by now to be in for the chances of profit rather than for the anarchist/save-the world-from-the-evil-banking-system ideas.

So I think that those investors are giving up on their dreams of getting rich through bitcoin, and selling en-masse.
IMO this is just a blip in the life of bitcoin, but the price is mostly fuelled by mass psychology so there's still the risk of a chain reaction.

Also IMO this confidence crash is a good learning experience for the bitcoin community, because it creates awareness and helps preventing disasters of such a high magnitude from happening in the future.

* you can have different opinion on this - James still has a scammer tag 'tho.

<=== INSERT SMART SIGNATURE HERE ===>
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 01:40:51 PM

I just think that GLBSE turning out to be another scam* coming from a (ex-) highly trusted member of the community, has shattered the trust of many small-amount investors. Also the subsequent fingerpointing game is involving some admins and moderators, which in turn are losing their patience and banning long time members. All of this leaves some bitter feeling that will take some time to heal.

By "small-amount investors" I'm referring to the kind of computer-savvy type that understands how bitcoin works and would see in it a chance to make fast money due to fiat value of bitcoin increasing. Well, I expect most of the people in bitcoin world by now to be in for the chances of profit rather than for the anarchist/save-the world-from-the-evil-banking-system ideas.

So I think that those investors are giving up on their dreams of getting rich through bitcoin, and selling en-masse.
IMO this is just a blip in the life of bitcoin, but the price is mostly fuelled by mass psychology so there's still the risk of a chain reaction.

Also IMO this confidence crash is a good learning experience for the bitcoin community, because it creates awareness and helps preventing disasters of such a high magnitude from happening in the future.

* you can have different opinion on this - James still has a scammer tag 'tho.

Lol
You make it sound as if BTC/USD was down 80% from one week before!
This is totally normal Bitcoin-behavior, those swings are just more rare than last year. Which is 98% pure speculation driven anyway. ..Which brings me to question your motives for your long post: FUD? How many $ are waiting on your Gox? :-P

Ente

/enjoying rollercoaster
EuroTrash

Activity: 728

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 04:28:16 PM

This is totally normal Bitcoin-behavior, those swings are just more rare than last year. Which is 98% pure speculation driven anyway. ..Which brings me to question your motives for your long post: FUD? How many $ are waiting on your Gox? :-P

FUD, not really. Just contributing my analysis to the discussion, maybe it is valuable to someone Smiley

In fairness I'm skinned for cash this month so I can't invest in more bitcoins. In my situation, it is in my personal interest for bitcoins to skyrocket not plunge. And as I wrote, I'm confident this is just a blip.

Still, 10% of USD value lost in two weeks is a considerable amount, depending on the scale of your investment, of course.

<=== INSERT SMART SIGNATURE HERE ===>
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2012, 07:22:26 PM

FUD, not really. Just contributing my analysis to the discussion, maybe it is valuable to someone Smiley

In fairness I'm skinned for cash this month so I can't invest in more bitcoins. In my situation, it is in my personal interest for bitcoins to skyrocket not plunge. And as I wrote, I'm confident this is just a blip.

Still, 10% of USD value lost in two weeks is a considerable amount, depending on the scale of your investment, of course.

Last year the daily movement was 10-20%. At least in my memory. Kind of helps digesting "blips".

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
runeks
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2012, 03:49:24 PM

Wanna bet? Wink

I have a very hard time imagining even $5 coins. 10 BTC escrowed bet that the price won't reach $4 within the next 6 months?
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2012, 03:57:35 PM

Wanna bet? Wink

I have a very hard time imagining even $5 coins. 10 BTC escrowed bet that the price won't reach $4 within the next 6 months?

That's easy. (No I won't bet though)
If you consider the possibility that all three ASIC mining companies turn out to be scams there is even a straight-forward explanation for such a scenario. In that case even sub-dollar prices might be possible.

If they deliver I don't think we will go below ~5 however.
damnek

Activity: 614

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 04:07:57 PM

Wanna bet? Wink

That's easy. (No I won't bet though)
If you consider the possibility that all three ASIC mining companies turn out to be scams there is even a straight-forward explanation for such a scenario. In that case even sub-dollar prices might be possible.

If they deliver I don't think we will go below ~5 however.

You may be right but the logic behind this is beyond me. But more price swings have disagreed with my reasoning I have to admit.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 05:40:29 PM

Care to explain why all 3 turning out scams would move the rate down that drastically (or at all for that matter)?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: