Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 04:25:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Verifing account of GLBSE discussion  (Read 13371 times)
Serenata

Activity: 250
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2012, 09:48:54 AM

What we have experienced thus far is a lack of professionalism handling the situation. Nefario, who used to be the contact person for GLBSE matters, is nowhere to be seen. GLBSE rules and requirements change constantly, moreover some of them are illegal in some countries (asking for identification documents without a clearance to handle it for example). Because of these facts, I wouldn't want to provide GLBSE with any kind of document, as this could possibly cause more damage than some lost assets or bitcoins.

BitcoinX.gr - To ελληνικό στέκι τoυ Bitcoin

My GPG Key

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 10:09:37 AM

I don't mind providing a bitcoin address and email address to be passed on to the asset holders, but what is the photo ID and utility bill needed for?
I already had to provide these months ago due to account complications, now I hope they wouldn't be passed on to asset holders.

This situation is so deplorable and absurd that it's hard to tell what happens next. I can imagine these humiliating mugshots being accidentally "leaked".

It's as if some resourceful agency is playing games with the Bitcoin community since the beginning of 2011.

Okay, I am 15y/o, how can I even have my proof of address. I dont pay tax, my parent pays utility bills. Hey seriously, didnt you say you have multinational server back up and blah blah blah?

It's either that some of these maintainers are cooperating with Nefario, or he was blatantly lying in the conference.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 10:41:54 AM

I don't even HAVE a utility bill to my name + home to begin with, also I'm now really worried that someone could just claim to have owned my account instead. Why the hell can't we at least use our EXISTING login data on a demo site in the mean time just to see our balance etc.?!

I still have 7 BTC on GLBSE (luckily I pulled out at least most of the accumulated cash before) and quite some GIPPT shares that are still being wound up, so there's not much of an option for me than to comply to whatever crazy regulations GLBSE's lawyer thinks are necessary... I'm definitely not going to be happy about them though.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Jurek

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 11:10:52 AM

I don't even HAVE a utility bill to my name + home to begin with, also I'm now really worried that someone could just claim to have owned my account instead. Why the hell can't we at least use our EXISTING login data on a demo site in the mean time just to see our balance etc.?!
Because he doesn't want you to prove your ownership of the account, he wants your info so you could be prosecuted.

PSYCHOTICBOY IS A THIEF AND A SCAMMER BE WARNED!
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=129941
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2012, 11:12:20 AM

Because he doesn't want you to prove your ownership of the account, he wants your info so you could be prosecuted.

Its probably not good to own shares of IBB. Just sayin...

sgravina

Activity: 451

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 11:15:51 AM

Please provide a clear picture of you, holding a piece of paper with your GLBSE username and the date written on it.

This is humiliating, to say the least. I will not sink to this level for a thousand coins.

It's not humiliating if you do it correctly.   I am going to be fully clothed in my picture.
DutchBrat

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 11:23:42 AM

I really fail to see how a picture of me with a piece of paper with my username on it will amount to anything.

I have logged into a certain account with a certain username with a password, google factor2 authentication.... uploaded my passport (photo ID) and god knows whatever else

What good will a mugshot of me do Huh
gabbynot

Activity: 341

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 11:27:46 AM

So, GLBSE will just get to keep all of these BTC/assets that go unclaimed - which will probably be a fair amount.

This sounds more like a scam than an AML requirement.
fabrizziop

Activity: 506

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 11:31:08 AM

So, GLBSE will just get to keep all of these BTC/assets that go unclaimed - which will probably be a fair amount.

This sounds more like a scam than an AML requirement.

I agree. Oh, you want to give us money?. No rules, just give it all to me  Smiley
You want to withdraw?. Give me a picture of your asshole with your username  Cheesy
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2012, 11:43:57 AM

damnit. i must have just missed the processing period.

i got the login screen but after putting in my email and payout address i got a 404.

now the front page says:

Update:we are currently unable to process account closures, and will inform our users when this service resumes.

OK, you've got my attention.  I'll gladly take any brainstorming from people on what can be done with my electric bill, my ID and a picture of me with the date, my login & e-mail...

#1) Seriously, what could happen? 

#2) And what can I do about it now?

I'm pretty sure the answer to #1 is not too much (fingers crossed).

but I'm even more sure the answer to #2 is nothing...

gah, I guess this had to happen sooner or later.  Perhaps I should cancel or put a hold on my credit lines?  Any other ideas?

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Energizer

Activity: 273

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 11:50:53 AM

The identities that GLBSE is asking can easily be faked! Anyone can send fake IDs/photos. I don't see the point why they are asking for such info. Assets should be connected to accounts and in return to emails. As an issuer all you would need is a list of accounts including emails and number of shares owned by the account/email. But it seems that there would be problems in handling things in such simple manner.
Energizer

Activity: 273

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 11:53:40 AM

Its not fair what GLBSE is doing! I don't think anyone would trust GLBSE with their info, especially after such sudden closing!
memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 12:04:44 PM

Please provide a clear picture of you, holding a piece of paper with your GLBSE username and the date written on it.
This is humiliating, to say the least. I will not sink to this level for a thousand coins.
It's not humiliating if you do it correctly.   I am going to be fully clothed in my picture.

Shocked

Well, I was paying someone to act as a witness for the things I own. His attestation wasn't absolutely essential but he tricked me into believing that proper measures are in place, so I trusted him. Now, he decided to withhold the testimony and is forcing me to do something for reasons that are unknown to me and will keep this information hostage until I comply. How is this not humiliating? I don't think it would add much to the humiliation if he asked for a naked picture, would only make it official.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2012, 12:09:57 PM

None of this crap is needed to get our BTC back.

Just cripple the trading function, leave the BTC withdrawal function, and open the old site back up until all the BTC are gone.

Once we get our BTC back then worry about the asset transfers.

It seems to me that the asset issuers just need:  email, username, hash of the password, the hashing algorithm used, the number of shares owned.

None of this other stuff is necessary unless the amount of BTC and/or value in the shares is very large.

But then it can be argued that the value of all the shares is pretty much now zero.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2012, 12:15:24 PM

The identities that GLBSE is asking can easily be faked! Anyone can send fake IDs/photos. I don't see the point why they are asking for such info. Assets should be connected to accounts and in return to emails. As an issuer all you would need is a list of accounts including emails and number of shares owned by the account/email. But it seems that there would be problems in handling things in such simple manner.

Unless you are in fact running GLBSE (then I just submitted this to you), please post a picture of me with my username & the date.  Also, feel free to post my license here which apparently is very easy to fake.

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 12:17:38 PM

I'm already compliant, I believe.  Grin

"ColdHardMetal
Aug 18 14:30 (HKT)

Humor aside, and I honestly did have a pretty good laugh when I opened this, why do I have this picture? ... It's just sitting here in the support queue, and I'm not sure what to do with it."
flipperfish

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

Dolphie Selfie

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 12:57:34 PM

I hope all germans here do know, that copying or even scanning the german photo id ("Personalausweis") is illegal by law. (Source: http://www.steadynews.de/allgemein/personalausweis-kopieren-und-verleihen-verboten). I can't believe these scammers are even trying this. There is no involvement of governmental money (like on an exchange). It would be the same to ask for AML, because of trading gold or items in an mmo. Totally ridcoulous.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2012, 12:58:40 PM

i got the login screen but after putting in my email and payout address i got a 404.

now the front page says:

Update:we are currently unable to process account closures, and will inform our users when this service resumes.

OK, you've got my attention.  I'll gladly take any brainstorming from people on what can be done with my electric bill, my ID and a picture of me with the date, my login & e-mail...

gah, I guess this had to happen sooner or later.  Perhaps I should cancel or put a hold on my credit lines?  Any other ideas?

Nefario has enough to open an online bank account in your name. Plus hand your pic over to the grand jury.

danster82

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 01:56:57 PM

If James McCarthy (nefario) would provide information and say the FSA are asking for identification or exactly what the problem is because he has said nothing.

But until then to send in your photo ID is stupidity, your photo has nothing to do with linking your account it wasnt part of the signup process.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 02:26:39 PM

now the front page says:

I'm not sure if existing "real" online financial insitutions require more or even less than these documents for AML... want to have a nice stock portfolio in a country that you didn't even know the name of? You might already have one!

Afaik most of the time the picture of yourself + date is not required anyways, so utility bill + ID should be enough in most cases.

Also without a GOOD reason ("AML requirements because required by my lawyer XY/financial institution Z" for example would be a good reason) I'd rather dare to sue a fellow EU citizen than comply with these questionable stuff.

On a more constructive side (if Nefario still reads this thread): Please post updates with a timestamp and keep old updates on the page! Thanks. Smiley

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: