Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:11:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [PPC] Is Sunny King (of PPCoin) RealSolid (of SolidCoin)?  (Read 5222 times)
proper_proper (OP)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 03:03:27 AM
Last edit: October 13, 2012, 02:25:34 PM by proper_proper

The massive amount of centralization required to support PPC is surprising.

The biggest problem with it that I see is that its basically impossible for PPC to work without having only a few very large pool miners who are well connected. This arrangement reminds me of coins in the past that had trusted nodes who basically controlled the whole network. PPCoin cannot be solo mined because of the centralization caused by the way it targets difficulty.

I just thought I would take some time to respond to one of the posts from the PPCoin thread.

But the difficulty is a running average, correct? IMHO, that may explain the large oscillations we've seen: Someone with huge hashing power hashes for 3-4 days and waits for a few days, for the difficulty to cool down, rinse and repeat. It's rational: In the beginning the huge hashing power is more effective since the difficulty weighting takes into account prior times for lower diff. These leads to a situation where the baseline of miners effectively pays for the efficiency gain in mining of the large entity miner... Sad

This project has massive problems with the way the difficulty is calculated and its showing up in numerous places. Sunny King is doing his best to cover this discussion up, and getting people to remove all references to the code throwing difficulty target errors, but it is happening for anyone not mining in one of the large PPCoin pools.

The large oscillations, or ringing, are also a product of the way the difficulty is calculated. It's unavoidable for this coin.

The PPCoin is also centralized because of its dependence on checkpoints for proof of stake.

All this required centralization reminds me of a project we all thought was dead. Is PPCoin SolidCoin 4.0?
Have you also noticed that many people involved with past solidcoins had already developed pools and exchanges ready to go for the PPCoin launch?
 Has RealSolid not Really retired from developing altcoins? Is PPCoin the next iteration of a SolidCoin? We can't be sure. Please be careful with PPcoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 03:23:35 AM

This theory does have some merit. I've seen similarities in the two....

I smell scammy sauce...  Cheesy

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 06:01:05 AM

please explain why "required"? AFAIK these checkpoints are a bootstrap method to protect the nascent chain until the majority of mining power comes from proof of stake...

The biggest problem with it that I see is that its basically impossible for PPC to work without having only a few very large pool miners who are well connected.
Sorry. You lost me right there... can you explain why you think so?

This arrangement reminds me of coins in the past that had trusted nodes who basically controlled the whole network. PPCoin cannot be solo mined because of the centralization caused by the way it targets difficulty.
Again. I am lost.

I just thought I would take some time to respond to one of the posts from the PPCoin thread.

But the difficulty is a running average, correct? IMHO, that may explain the large oscillations we've seen: Someone with huge hashing power hashes for 3-4 days and waits for a few days, for the difficulty to cool down, rinse and repeat. It's rational: In the beginning the huge hashing power is more effective since the difficulty weighting takes into account prior times for lower diff. These leads to a situation where the baseline of miners effectively pays for the efficiency gain in mining of the large entity miner... Sad

This project has massive problems with the way the difficulty is calculated and its showing up in numerous places. Sunny King is doing his best to cover this discussion up, and getting people to remove all references to the code throwing difficulty target errors, but it is happening for anyone not mining in one of the large PPCoin pools.
I am not aware of this. Can you provide references for these "target errors"?

Please know that the scenario you quoted applies to bitcoin as well, albeit on a 2-week fixed schedule. In ppcoin the difficulty adjustment was changed according to the design paper:
"In our design both proof-of-work hash target and proof-of-stake hash target are adjusted continuously rather than Bitcoin’s two-week adjustment interval, to avoid sudden jump in network generation rate."

So ppcoin is actually quicker in counteracting, but also drops off faster.

The large oscillations, or ringing, are also a product of the way the difficulty is calculated. It's unavoidable for this coin.
It's not a function of the coin or the difficulty adjustment, it's rather a function of the strength of the network. Large entity miners can play with the minting rate adjustment. It's unavoidable. The only solution to it is to avoid large entity miners.

The PPCoin is also centralized because of its dependence on checkpoints for proof of stake.

All this required centralization reminds me of a project we all thought was dead. Is PPCoin SolidCoin 4.0?
Have you also noticed that many people involved with past solidcoins had already developed pools and exchanges ready to go for the PPCoin launch?
 Has RealSolid not Really retired from developing altcoins? Is PPCoin the next iteration of a SolidCoin? We can't be sure. Please be careful with PPcoin.
The likely reason is that these people are just pioneers and will bootstrap the infrastructure for any cryptocurrency which looks promising.

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 07:05:00 AM

On a crazy scale of 1 to realsolid, I think sunny king is batting maybe a 2 or a 3 right now

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
CharlesPonzi

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 07:20:36 AM

On a crazy scale of 1 to realsolid, I think sunny king is batting maybe a 2 or a 3 right now

Maybe he took his meds ?

I landed in this country with $2.50 in cash and $1 million in hopes, and those hopes never left me.
AndyRossy

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 08:43:50 AM

@Op and Smoothie

Maybe you guys can explain the votes here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=117744.0 for no,

Anybody who reads this forum knows people who are into other currencies, like LTC are just trying to disrespect any other currency.

Im all for as many alt currencise as possible, but, this thread makes no sense - see Jutarul's post.
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 09:26:05 AM

@Op and Smoothie

Maybe you guys can explain the votes here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=117744.0 for no,

Anybody who reads this forum knows people who are into other currencies, like LTC are just trying to disrespect any other currency.

Im all for as many alt currencise as possible, but, this thread makes no sense - see Jutarul's post.

This coming from the guy who doesn't know the meaning of "volume" in terms of how many PPC have been created to date when comparing it to LTC or BTC?

You are a shill for Sunny Drag Queen. As I've said before this reminds me of RealShit and his Soiledcoin supporters.

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Edit: Concerning the link to the POLL you posted, what was your point? Last time I checked the poll there were more people voting NO than YES.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 09:31:00 AM

The biggest problem with it that I see is that its basically impossible for PPC to work without having only a few very large pool miners who are well connected. This arrangement reminds me of coins in the past that had trusted nodes who basically controlled the whole network. PPCoin cannot be solo mined because of the centralization caused by the way it targets difficulty.

+1 AndyRossy why don't you answer the man's questions as opposed to attacking LTC or myself?

Why would there be a centralization within a supposedly "decentralized" system?

Why are you avoiding his questions AndyRossy?

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

AndyRossy

Activity: 448

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 09:35:29 AM

+1 AndyRossy why don't you answer the man's questions as opposed to attacking LTC or myself?
I support LTC.

Why would there be a centralization within a supposedly "decentralized" system?

Why are you avoiding his questions AndyRossy?

I am not, the checkpoint question has been answered earlier on in this thread.

Andy
Sunny King
Legendary

Activity: 1205
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2012, 02:47:49 PM

This is new to me. Is this something real that you have encountered yourself? If so please provide more details I'd like to look into them. As far as I know solo mining works fine for most miners except for cpuminer 2.x.

As to the oscillations it's also in the other chains but is less obvious due to 2 week adjustment interval. But quite a few chains were having problem recovering from it exactly due to this long adjustment interval.

ppcoin has shown that it can recover from high difficulty and withdrawal of miners quite well. Besides the quick adjustment reduced miner advantage in the initial two weeks. I see plenty of people trying to accuse me of 'effective premining' but conveniently ignore the fact that keeping bitcoin's two weeks adjustment interval would give me a lot more time to do this 'effective premining', which pretty much lasted less than two days for ppcoin. No, there was exactly zero premining with ppcoin and it is fair, at least more fair than most other chains.

I have explained this numerous times, since v0.2 checkpoint only serves to protect the network in the initial growth period. It is not part of core protocol and will be gradually weakened as network matures.

It looks like quite some people are ready to 51% attack a new block chain so yes it's a more responsible way to start an alt coin.

We did quite a bit of work to ensure this form of temporary centralization has less chance of becoming a single point of failure. See solidcoin has some recent problems with their trust nodes and block chain stops. But if ppcoin's checkpoint master node runs into problems most likely block chain would not be affected.

PS At the moment I do not wish to answer questions related to my identity/privacy. So I will ignore all such questions for now.
proper_proper (OP)

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 02:50:58 PM

please explain why "required"? AFAIK these checkpoints are a bootstrap method to protect the nascent chain until the majority of mining power comes from proof of stake...
The centralization is required due to poor design and because Sunny King likes centralization.

The biggest problem with it that I see is that its basically impossible for PPC to work without having only a few very large pool miners who are well connected.
Sorry. You lost me right there... can you explain why you think so?
The difficulty adjustment happens so fast it can't make it out to the solo miners who aren't using long polling.

This arrangement reminds me of coins in the past that had trusted nodes who basically controlled the whole network. PPCoin cannot be solo mined because of the centralization caused by the way it targets difficulty.
Again. I am lost.

I am not aware of this. Can you provide references for these "target errors"?
Sunny King has gotten the people that posted about these problems to remove them from the forum. Sunny King wants to cover up the truth about PPCoin.
Please know that the scenario you quoted applies to bitcoin as well, albeit on a 2-week fixed schedule. In ppcoin the difficulty adjustment was changed according to the design paper:
"In our design both proof-of-work hash target and proof-of-stake hash target are adjusted continuously rather than Bitcoin’s two-week adjustment interval, to avoid sudden jump in network generation rate."

So ppcoin is actually quicker in counteracting, but also drops off faster.

Bitcoin doesn't have this problem because it waits two weeks to calculate difficulty. PPCoin only waits 10 minutes to calculate difficulty so you should expect large swings. Bad design.

It's not a function of the coin or the difficulty adjustment, it's rather a function of the strength of the network. Large entity miners can play with the minting rate adjustment. It's unavoidable. The only solution to it is to avoid large entity miners.

Actually it is entirely because of the design. See this link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringing_artifacts

The likely reason is that these people are just pioneers and will bootstrap the infrastructure for any cryptocurrency which looks promising.

Hooray for the pioneers in the RealSolid navy! They never get to go on shore leave because the boat just keeps driving in circles.
proper_proper (OP)

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 02:51:59 PM

PS At the moment I do not wish to answer questions related to my identity/privacy. So I will ignore all such questions for now.

Of course you don't want to talk about your identity, because its highly likely you are RealSolid. Thanks.
DiCE1904
Legendary

Activity: 1118
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2012, 03:15:21 PM

Of course you don't want to talk about your identity, because its highly likely you are RealSolid. Thanks.

+1

Sunny King
Legendary

Activity: 1205
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2012, 05:45:44 PM

Sunny King has gotten the people that posted about these problems to remove them from the forum. Sunny King wants to cover up the truth about PPCoin.

Pathetic. If you didn't come up with this pack of lies yourself then I suggest you stop trusting whoever fed you this garbage, for your own sake.
Greedi

Activity: 266

LitecoinTalk

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2012, 05:57:33 PM

+1

+2

LitecoinTalk - Sign up today!
Try out LTC-Aarade!
Buy Shares!
SRoulette

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2012, 06:06:45 AM

+1

+2

my 2 ppc here (again Tongue )

Im a technology 1st person.
I do not care what the source is for knowledge, it does not change the value.

I think any contribution to humanities living knowledge base is a good thing for humanity even if the technology came at a cost to humanity.
There is even great value in researching a bad concept and implementing it.

If Sunny King = Solid Coin and ppcoin does turn out to be a pump and dump alt currency, the community can take the good ideas from ppcoin and implement them in the next altcoin.
If as it turns out he is not, we are detracting from a good technical discussion and interesting altcoin.

Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826

amarha

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 01:14:40 PM

I got to admit, as a person who's just recently become interested in these alternative currencies, it seems every thread I've read on here has made me weary of PPCoin. I think a simple confirm or deny regarding the question of being RealSolid would have been a lot better than this answer. I mean, I respect your desire for anonymity as much as anyone here, but I think it's reasonable to expect an answer to this question.

And yes, I can tell that there are many people here who are critical of you and your project, but I would hope that at some point instead of just being defensive and dismissive, you could address peoples concerns. Especially the technical criticisms that people have been bringing up.

If you really believe that the work you have done has the potential to be embraced by the public and used as a currency, you would think that a couple of people on a message board 'attacking' you or acting 'immature' would not stop you from defending your project.

At this point a random person who reads a few threads here might conclude that it's just another 'scamcoin', but I think if it was a scam the PPCoin people would be doing a much better job at least trying to convince people that it is legit. So at this point I don't even know what to think.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826

amarha

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 01:19:46 PM

Also, if you are RealSolid, I don't think you should hide that fact. You should be open about it and explain why things are different this time. I'd rather know that and be able to see how things have changed, and hear you explain how you learned from the previous failures.
Etlase2

Activity: 798

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 04:01:34 PM

I gotta wonder what the deal is with being anonymous. Who gives a rat's ass? It only makes it look like you have something to hide. Do you post on BTCtalk via tor like the oh great satoshi too, Sunny?

If satoshi's identity is ever revealed, he is well-deserving of the pie-to-the-face treatment for begetting such a scandalous community.

And I highly doubt Sunny is RealSolid. RealSolid is still working on his scamcoin 4.0, though it has been constantly delayed.

SRoulette

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2012, 04:32:51 PM

I gotta wonder what the deal is with being anonymous. Who gives a rat's ass? It only makes it look like you have something to hide. Do you post on BTCtalk via tor like the oh great satoshi too, Sunny?

If satoshi's identity is ever revealed, he is well-deserving of the pie-to-the-face treatment for begetting such a scandalous community.

And I highly doubt Sunny is RealSolid. RealSolid is still working on his scamcoin 4.0, though it has been constantly delayed.

Satoshi was anonymous, whats the big issue ?
If this alt coin gains any momentum and then the lead dev decides to pull a move similar to what we saw in Solid Coin we have the option to fork the network.

Thank being said, you could remain anonymous and still deny being 1 individual Smiley

I would also like to see an updated white paper or a brief WIP description added to the wiki if the internal workings have changed as much as some claim.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: