Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 05:02:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 ... 143 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] [PPC] PPCoin Released! - First Long-Term Energy-Efficient Crypto-Currency  (Read 684474 times)
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 12:47:01 AM

Sorry for the silly question but Is Sunny King / Sunny K the owner of BFL ?

Hmm I never thought of that. But it would be funny if it were.

Perhaps he can answer for himself eh Sunny?

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Sunny King (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1205
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2012, 08:49:40 PM

Good,

Could you make a locked thread we can subscribe to to get these updates ?

Weekly updates are linked on wiki page: https://github.com/ppcoin/ppcoin/wiki/Weekly-updates

+1 but I don't see an easy way to get email notifications with the wiki.

Due to popular request I would start posting weekly updates to a separate thread with links in the main thread.
Thanks!
Sunny King (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2012, 01:32:16 AM

FYI
Total network money supply surpassed 10M coins at block 8186.
sangaman

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2012, 05:44:11 PM

I posted this in the Newbie forum but going to post here too so Sunny King can see.

I like the idea behind PPCoins and it seems like POS is a promising and energy efficient way to secure the block chain long term.

However, I really wish the name were different. PPCoins looks ok when written down, but the way it's spoken (pee pee coins) sounds ridiculous. PCoin, PeerCoin, GreenCoin (to highlight its energy efficiency, people love green stuff) all would sound much better in my opinion, as just a few examples.

I also wish the website were easier to navigate and understand. Just something clean and simple would work. As it is I think it probably confuses a lot of people, especially if they don't already know what PPCoins are.

I only intend for this to be constructive criticism as I'd like to see PPCoins succeed.
Sunny King (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2012, 06:47:26 PM
Last edit: October 03, 2012, 06:57:58 PM by Sunny King

I posted this in the Newbie forum but going to post here too so Sunny King can see.

I like the idea behind PPCoins and it seems like POS is a promising and energy efficient way to secure the block chain long term.

However, I really wish the name were different. PPCoins looks ok when written down, but the way it's spoken (pee pee coins) sounds ridiculous. PCoin, PeerCoin, GreenCoin (to highlight its energy efficiency, people love green stuff) all would sound much better in my opinion, as just a few examples.

I also wish the website were easier to navigate and understand. Just something clean and simple would work. As it is I think it probably confuses a lot of people, especially if they don't already know what PPCoins are.

I only intend for this to be constructive criticism as I'd like to see PPCoins succeed.

Unfortunately the name has been set so there is no point to change it now. Hard to come up with a name with domains not squatted already. So this was what I could come up with a year ago. On the other hand at least the symbol has good sense as its two 'P' (peers) connected.

I would expect people to gradually disassociate the pp part from certain distasteful things, should ppcoin gets very popular. So the name is likely not a big deal in my opinion.
sangaman

Activity: 342

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2012, 07:17:11 PM

Unfortunately the name has been set so there is no point to change it now. Hard to come up with a name with domains not squatted already. So this was what I could come up with a year ago. On the other hand at least the symbol has good sense as its two 'P' (peers) connected.

I would expect people to gradually disassociate the pp part from certain distasteful things, should ppcoin gets very popular. So the name is likely not a big deal in my opinion.

Thanks for responding. I can see the problem w/ finding free domains. If you somehow do get the opportunity to change the name, I for one would recommend you do. The sooner the better, while it still has low adoption and awareness levels. It would just be a superficial change really, but maybe there are difficulties that I'm not seeing. Or maybe people can just informally refer to them as PCoins when spoken, since that sounds better and is easier to say, in my opinion.

I still think PPCoin is innovative and promising, I'd just be a lot more bullish about its prospects with a different name and better website.

Good luck!
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2012, 07:47:47 PM

Thanks for responding. I can see the problem w/ finding free domains. If you somehow do get the opportunity to change the name, I for one would recommend you do. The sooner the better, while it still has low adoption and awareness levels. It would just be a superficial change really, but maybe there are difficulties that I'm not seeing. Or maybe people can just informally refer to them as PCoins when spoken, since that sounds better and is easier to say, in my opinion.

I still think PPCoin is innovative and promising, I'd just be a lot more bullish about its prospects with a different name and better website.

Good luck!
What does PP even stand for ?

PScoin ? Proof of Sake .
teknohog

Activity: 519
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2012, 08:27:22 PM

What does PP even stand for ?

PScoin ? Proof of Sake .

I'lll drink to that, for Satoshi's sake  Tongue

world famous math art | masternodes are bad, mmmkay?
Every sha(sha(sha(sha()))), every ho-o-o-old, still shines
Sunny King (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 04:00:27 AM

Weekly Update #7

at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=114994.msg1252091#msg1252091
AndyRossy

Activity: 448

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 04:55:33 PM

Nice update Smiley
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2012, 05:05:22 PM

PeePeeCoin?
PumPndumPCoin? oh that would be PPPCoin.  Grin
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 06:05:09 PM

Regarding the proof of stake, can someone explain to me exactly how it works? I understand that blocks are signed by a means of how many coins you have multiplied by how long you have them, but how does it work in practice? For example:

1) Who decides when a proof of stake block is "mined"?
2) Can you only "mine" such blocks when you have ppcoind running?
3) What happens when a block is mined? I understand the traditional mining process but I am completely lost how this should work. Coins are passive right? How can they sign anything?

So can someone give me a heads up? The FAQ (https://github.com/ppcoin/ppcoin/wiki/FAQ) is really lacking
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 06:21:57 PM

Regarding the proof of stake, can someone explain to me exactly how it works? I understand that blocks are signed by a means of how many coins you have multiplied by how long you have them, but how does it work in practice? For example:

3) What happens when a block is mined? I understand the traditional mining process but I am completely lost how this should work. Coins are passive right? How can they sign anything?

So can someone give me a heads up? The FAQ (https://github.com/ppcoin/ppcoin/wiki/FAQ) is really lacking
Unfortunately the most reliable information is the source code. I doubt that there will be plenty of design documents anytime soon because nobody really has an incentive to create them.

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
Liquid

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

Crypto Somnium

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 03:57:09 AM

1 question say you have a lot of coins in a wallet say 1 million would it be safer to encrypt the wallet so you don't get hacked or put into cold storage .. but if you do this will you miss out on minting the coins / POS or is it safe to leave it unencrypted ?

sorry for my ignorance still learning 

Bitcoin will show the world what hard money really is.
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 04:51:59 AM

1 question say you have a lot of coins in a wallet say 1 million would it be safer to encrypt the wallet so you don't get hacked or put into cold storage .. but if you do this will you miss out on minting the coins / POS or is it safe to leave it unencrypted ?

sorry for my ignorance still learning 
For the minting the wallet has to be unencrypted/unlocked. I don't know what the max lock time is. E.g. you could start an instance of ppcoin and then unlock it for a few months (3600*24*90). This would give you a little bit of protection.

The problem with cold storage is that there is currently no way to mint coinstake. I tried to get the discussion started in a dedicated thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=115608.0
One of the issues seems to be that the information for the signature currently has to reside with the validation node, which makes cold storage impractical for POS mining.

"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002

Bitcoin

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 05:58:36 AM

Sunny King like Sunny K from BFL !!  the same person ?  (like others ask, did'nt saw any answer) !
cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 08:00:08 AM

Sunny King like Sunny K from BFL !!  the same person ?  (like others ask, did'nt saw any answer) !

Question: Is the proof-of-work mint rate path dependent (i.e. does it depend on both current and past difficulty?); (or does it only depend on current difficulty?)

Question: Assuming the mint rate is path dependent, if someone was to take huge hashing power online and offline repeatedly (say one week online; one week offline; repeat), would this process progressively drive down the mint rate?

AndyRossy

Activity: 448

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 08:04:22 AM

Unfortunately the most reliable information is the source code. I doubt that there will be plenty of design documents anytime soon because nobody really has an incentive to create them.

I might start a wiki and gather up as much information as I can find around these threads, quite a lot of the tech-stuff has been posted, just yes, very hard to find Sad
Sunny King (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2012, 01:56:18 PM

Question: Is the proof-of-work mint rate path dependent (i.e. does it depend on both current and past difficulty?); (or does it only depend on current difficulty?)

Question: Assuming the mint rate is path dependent, if someone was to take huge hashing power online and offline repeatedly (say one week online; one week offline; repeat), would this process progressively drive down the mint rate?

No memory involved, only current proof-of-work difficulty determines mint: mint = 9999 / (difficulty ** 0.25)
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 02:27:55 PM

No memory involved, only current proof-of-work difficulty determines mint: mint = 9999 / (difficulty ** 0.25)
But the difficulty is a running average, correct? IMHO, that may explain the large oscillations we've seen: Someone with huge hashing power hashes for 3-4 days and waits for a few days, for the difficulty to cool down, rinse and repeat. It's rational: In the beginning the huge hashing power is more effective since the difficulty weighting takes into account prior times for lower diff. These leads to a situation where the baseline of miners effectively pays for the efficiency gain in mining of the large entity miner... Sad

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 ... 143 »
  Print  

Jump to: