Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:27:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 21 co introducing bitcoin [mining+] computer for $399.99 (unofficial thread)  (Read 5126 times)
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 05:13:29 AM

OK, so it was the little graphic attached to the Amazon listing that means to you "Selling quite well".  I hadn't noticed that before. I wonder what criteria Amazon uses, though that's probably a bit off-topic.

well, the fact that it is #1 in servers tells me that it is "selling quite well" (better than antminer S5, for example, which is #3).

Who buy's miners from amazon though?   That is one of the last places people buy S5's, S3's.  Ebay and this forum are king. 

I am surprised it is in server category.  It makes me wonder what its calculation is to get number one.  Did it sell more in X day's.   How do they have it weigheted.

But either way selling better then I thought.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 09:47:11 AM

OK, so it was the little graphic attached to the Amazon listing that means to you "Selling quite well".  I hadn't noticed that before. I wonder what criteria Amazon uses, though that's probably a bit off-topic.

well, the fact that it is #1 in servers tells me that it is "selling quite well" (better than antminer S5, for example, which is #3).

Amazon hasn't had more than 12 S5's LISTED at any point in the last 5 months.

Not real impressive for sales to me.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
worhiper_-_

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 09:50:03 AM

Has anyone here pre-ordered this?
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 09:51:15 AM

Did you mean Ebay or PayPal?

I meant both... Ebay & Paypal...

I'm pretty sure that Ebay sold Paypal back off fairly recently, due to massive underperformance.

I dunno why anyone uses Paypal, it's NOT trustable and widely known to be both a ripoff company and to have a 'corporate plan' that FORCES it to rip folks off to actually make a profit.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2015, 09:57:02 AM

Is this thing basically a Raspberry Pi? $400 seems to be a massive markup...it's a nice idea but it really seems too expensive for what you get. It could definitely do without the inefficient mining chip too.

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
worhiper_-_

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 11:42:56 AM

Is this thing basically a Raspberry Pi? $400 seems to be a massive markup...it's a nice idea but it really seems too expensive for what you get. It could definitely do without the inefficient mining chip too.

To be fair, we haven't gotten to see the software and the network 21 talks about. Maybe it'll provide owners with access to exclusive features, or maybe not. No way to be certain yet.
Biodom (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3864

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 03:26:26 PM

LOL
somebody did the parts analysis and came up with ~$250 in parts (does raspberry pi have 128 gig of flash memory?)
In my opinion, they should have posted it for $250 initially, but it is not a large markup comparing with an iphone, for example (parts ~$200, cost $650)
TheRealSteve

Activity: 686

FUN > ROI

View Profile
September 27, 2015, 04:07:00 PM

You mean this?
1. Raspberry Pi 2: $35
2. 128 GB memory card: $75.95
3. Raspberry Pi B+ Power Supply: $6.99
4. Raspberry Pi WIFI Adapter: $8.56
5. Raspberry Pi Cooling Fan: $7.99
6. USB to TTL Serial Cable: $9.95
7. Heat sink: $10
8. 125 gh/s USB miner: $93
SD card selection is way too expensive (even when ignoring the potential fakes), there's a heat sink and cooling fan that's unnecessary (already included in the 2x AntMiner U3 selection; which is an iffy choice in itself, but alright), the wifi adapter is generally unnecessary (odds are you'd place this near some manner of network switch/router - throw in a cheap network cable instead, might even be able to get away with USB), the FTDI cable.. why is that even in there? You're supposed to play with the software, not reconfigure the innards of the rpi2 ..and a few bucks could be shaved off the power supply as well - might as well make that a generic USB power wart instead of being stuck with a 'fixed' microUSB output.  The rpi2 is reasonably-priced and similar-level alternatives tend to be priced around $35 as well.  Not sure that level would actually be needed, but there's better areas to shave cost at least.

You still wouldn't have the software/whatever they're providing, but in terms of hardware, you can certainly do cheaper.

lovenlifelarge

Activity: 676
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 28, 2015, 10:33:28 AM

Did you mean Ebay or PayPal?

I meant both... Ebay & Paypal...

I'm pretty sure that Ebay sold Paypal back off fairly recently, due to massive underperformance.

I dunno why anyone uses Paypal, it's NOT trustable and widely known to be both a ripoff company and to have a 'corporate plan' that FORCES it to rip folks off to actually make a profit.

Ebay & paypal are owned by the same group of people, What happen just recently was that the two companies had been operating as 1 entity & one of the major shareholders figured that the 2 companies run separately would be worth more money (Cause he want to sell his paypal stake)

So they stopped the companies working as 1 splitting them into 2 making the value of ebay about 700,000,000 & ebay about 600,000,000...

I'm not sure if the major shareholder who caused this to happen has sold his shares or not yet??

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄███▀▀▀      ▀▀▀███▄▄
▄██▀▀                ▀▀██▄
▄██▀                      ▀██▄
██▀                          ▀██
██▀                            ▀██
██▀    ███████        ███████    ▀██
▄██   ██████████████  ██████████   ██▄
██     ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄███████▄▄     ██
██     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ███████▀▀▀     ██
██         ███████  ███████         ██
██         ▀██████████████▀         ██
▀██         ▀████████████▀         ██▀
██▄         ████████████         ▄██
██▄         ██████████         ▄██
██▄                          ▄██
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀██▄▄                ▄▄██▀
▀▀███▄▄▄      ▄▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
    ███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
    ████████████████████▄
██                ████▄
██                ██████▄
██                ████████▄
██                ██████████▄
██                ████████████
██                ██        ██
██                ████████████
██                ██        ██
██████████████████████████████
██                          ██
DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2015, 06:00:58 PM

If we're talking a normal SD card, you can get 128GB easily for under $40. They're either making frivolous purchases for their hardware, or overpricing their parts. I can't say that this computer is a good deal if the hardware costs are so high for what you get.

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
worhiper_-_

View Profile
September 28, 2015, 06:12:46 PM

If we're talking a normal SD card, you can get 128GB easily for under $40. They're either making frivolous purchases for their hardware, or overpricing their parts. I can't say that this computer is a good deal if the hardware costs are so high for what you get.

They're just greedy over profit margins or overprice their product. The hardware is not worth 400$ in any shape or form, but we haven't gotten to know what the overall service and network is going to be capable of. With all the mystery that 21 leave unexplained I wouldn't expect their device to be anything more than a cash grab.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: