Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:24:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Nefario ran his payment script twice  (Read 1977 times)
capn noe (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 05:11:23 AM

Folks got over paid and Nefario requests the coins to be returned. Do the receivers of the overpayment have a moral responsibility to return them, or is this fate giving his customers a chance to compensate themselves for the disrespectful customer service they have received?

edit: nice delete forums poster gweedo

Can the FUD please stop it is annoying and no one is going to believe you anyway.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 05:30:15 AM

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm F5ing the return address like a motherfucker.  I think this is totally hilarious.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
capn noe (OP)

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 05:33:01 AM

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm F5ing the return address like a motherfucker.  I think this is totally hilarious.

I see one of the two repayments didn't make it back ENTIRELY.

Suddenly the anonymous angry ignored treated-frankly-poorly mob have the power.

capn noe (OP)

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 05:35:02 AM

Does ultimate responsibility lie in the hands of the accountant at GLBSE? If too many coins are never returned, it's not like responsibility for the shortages lies on those that got double paid.

Right? Wrong?
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 05:54:55 AM

Anyone who doesn't return coins that do not belong to them deserves a scammer tag.  It's theft, plain and simple.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 05:57:45 AM

Anyone who doesn't return coins that do not belong to them deserves a scammer tag.  It's theft, plain and simple.

I cant blame them if they keep the 10% Nefario hasnt paid yet.

repentance

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 06:02:43 AM

Does ultimate responsibility lie in the hands of the accountant at GLBSE? If too many coins are never returned, it's not like responsibility for the shortages lies on those that got double paid.

Right? Wrong?

In a "normal" situation, the business would pay out of its own funds and then seek recovery of the over-payments by legal means (they can't just reverse them like a conventional financial institution) or write it off.  In this situation, who knows whether GLBSE has the funds to cover the short-fall or sufficient information to pursue people legally even if they wanted to try to pursue the recovery of an equivalent fiat value through small claims (which I assume they don't want to given Nefario's fear of legal scrutiny).

If it was me, I'd probably keep the 10% and return the rest eventually but I'd let Nefario sweat for a few days first.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 06:04:38 AM

Yes, by all means let's expand the definition of scammer until it includes everyone who ever did anything wrong.   Roll Eyes

Why should words have meaningful, fixed definitions when our emotional need to express condemnation by any means available is so strong?  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes

On the other hand, maybe everyone who advocates a scammer label for things not involving actual scams should themselves be labeled as a scammer...   Huh

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 06:06:03 AM

Right? Wrong?

In a "normal" situation, the business would pay out of its own funds and then seek recovery of the over-payments by legal means (they can't just reverse them like a conventional financial institution) or write it off.  In this situation, who knows whether GLBSE has the funds to cover the short-fall or sufficient information to pursue people legally even if they wanted to try to pursue the recovery of an equivalent fiat value through small claims even if they wanted to (which I assume they don't want to given Nefario's fear of legal scrutiny).

Nefario should have handed over glbse to someone else and we could have avoided the whole situation. Most likely people will now have to take a haircut.

repentance

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 06:46:46 AM

I can't read a single post about this double payment clusterfuck without this song running through my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90PM4TLNgsg&feature=related

capn noe (OP)

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 06:49:58 AM

I can't read a single post about this double payment clusterfuck without this song running through my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90PM4TLNgsg&feature=related

same but more like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0AS7-LWimg
stochastic

Activity: 532

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 06:58:28 AM

I think they should pay back as there are other people that have yet to receive anything, but I don't think they should send it back to Nefario.  Nefario needs to either resign as CEO of BitcoinGlobal and manager of GLBSE or he should be fired.

He has shown irresponsibility in handling the users bitcoins and he can't be trusted with sending out information to the asset holders.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
capn noe (OP)

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 07:09:05 AM

The community COULD pseudo unionize and make this work without the lot of the perpetrators of this. Get the logs, demand the records, split the coins, demand the rest.

greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 02:01:52 PM

How do you even know that the coins do not belong to them? Maybe Dr. Nefario is just paying double as an apology to former users of Good Luck Bitcoin Special Entity. I've seen this happen before in my Japanese Animes.
ShireSilver

Activity: 382
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 03:26:07 PM

I think it would be OK for those who got overpaid to hold on to it until the stock ownership info has been appropriately sent to the issuers. And once that happens, sending the overpayment to an escrow would be appropriate as well.

Shire Silver, a better bullion that fits in your wallet. Get some, now accepting bitcoin!
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 03:28:38 PM

How do you even know that the coins do not belong to them? Maybe Dr. Nefario is just paying double as an apology to former users of Good Luck Bitcoin Special Entity. I've seen this happen before in my Japanese Animes.
I don't know that the coins do not belong to them.  Hence the reason I qualified my statement with "that do not belong to them".
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 02:25:14 AM

Morally, I don't see a problem with people keeping the extra 10% so that they are fully paid out, but they shouldn't keep any more than they were owed. Just don't spend it for a while, just in case GLBSE can't pay out everyone 100% anymore, because the difference might need to be clawed back.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 03:22:13 AM

Your post caused me to think of another scenario. A couple accounts he controls, a couple others are comrades--Genjix comes to mind--and as for the others he sent doubled coins to, he calculated them to be of good character knowing that a large percentage of those coins will be returned, but a shortage will be realized due to what I stated at the beginning of this sentence.

~Bruno K~
repentance

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 04:57:46 AM

Just over 40 coins returned so far. 

Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 05:02:40 AM

Your post caused me to think of another scenario. A couple accounts he controls, a couple others are comrades--Genjix comes to mind--and as for the others he sent doubled coins to, he calculated them to be of good character knowing that a large percentage of those coins will be returned, but a shortage will be realized due to what I stated at the beginning of this sentence.

~Bruno K~

That is the reason a third party should have handled the shutdown. There is no audit trail whatsoever.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: