Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:37:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is ASIC's a SCAM?  (Read 12641 times)
Zeek_W

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 02:21:28 AM

For the guy who wanted an actual photo of a real BFL ASIC  Grin

Source: http://bitcoinmagazine.net/butterfly-labs-releases-more-asic-photos/

I wonder why they sharpied out the BFL logo on the bottom picture?

Somewhat proves there is at least 2 out there lol

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Gatorhex

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 02:31:21 AM

I guess they wanted to keep the owner secret. Some of the chips look like they have had sandpaper over them too to hide their details.  Wink

These are the prototypes. Top one is the Single SC, the bottom one is the Jalapeno.

Zeek_W

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 02:34:55 AM

These are the prototypes. I guess they wanted to keep the owner secret. Some of the chips look like they have had sandpaper over them too to hide their details.  Wink

Yup! the first pic still shows all the info on the ATMEL chip - but JUST can't make out the model :/

and the possible 2nd USB on the second pic where the barrel plug is on the 1st is interesting

DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 05:36:37 AM

Yeah it "will" but it hasn't yet.

Right now that 30,000 rig will take 50 days to pay off.
Why the fuck would you sell something that will make you $30,000 in 50 days, and cut off your own profit? Say they're not being dicks, and they're making a decent margin, they're paying $20,000 for the rig that's $30,000 thats $10,000 profit.

I feel like I have to respond before something thinks what he wrote is true. The 30,000 rig will take much more than 50 days to payoff unless you are the only person in the world with the equipment. The difficulty changes every 2016 blocks, so within a few days of the first batch being received difficulty will rise by a factor of 4 (the maximum it can change, see the wiki article on "target") and will continue until it reaches steady state. your 50 days has now become 200 days a few days after receiving your rig, and will probably settle at somewhere around a year or more in the end.

I dont care that much about if it's a scam, spec not meet, or ROI (pay off) !  As long as I get a regular BTC income to my wallet, for personal use, I'll be happy to participate in securing this marvellous network !

just my personal opinion, not interesting for 99% of the reader, I know Wink
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 05:41:07 AM

i have heard many people saying that Butterfly Lab and the other manufactures who make ASIC's is a SCAM

and this could be true because there is no proof than even ASIC exist and no one has even has a picture of a ASIC

what you you all say about ASIC's?

First open your directory to learn the definition of ASIC.

Then continue reading those threads about BFL.

Hint : If I had purchased a BFL ASIC I would be tempted to discourage others to do the same and if I had not I would be jealous and would not be willing to accept the truth.
Meizirkki

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 08:58:36 AM
Last edit: October 20, 2012, 09:09:24 AM by Meizirkki

Single SC Prototype

The circuitry on the left side of the board looks like some 50W switching regulator. No way in hell this board will run from USB alone.

EDIT: Nevermind. This was the 60GH/s one. Very interesting !
Frequency

Activity: 540

COINDER

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 02:10:12 PM
Last edit: October 20, 2012, 06:03:38 PM by Frequency

i have heard many people saying that Butterfly Lab and the other manufactures who make ASIC's is a SCAM

and this could be true because there is no proof than even ASIC exist and no one has even has a picture of a ASIC

Hint : If I had purchased a BFL ASIC I would be tempted to discourage others to do the same and if I had not I would be jealous and would not be willing to accept the truth.

what truth. Huh Huh Huh.explane please.. i only need some facts ..

If you check the two picture you can easely see that the seposed jally board is excactly the board in the SC pic 90degree turned and fixed with some les parts mounted on the board just look at them for 5min compare and you see that i am right thats a fact it,s the same board only a day less worked on...they really suck .....

COINDER
COINDER
bobitza

Activity: 560
Merit: 256

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 06:55:11 PM

If you check the two picture you can easely see that the seposed jally board is excactly the board in the SC pic 90degree turned and fixed with some les parts mounted on the board just look at them for 5min compare and you see that i am right thats a fact it,s the same board only a day less worked on...they really suck .....

Err, but this is how it's supposed to be. The jally is a one (1) underclocked ASIC chip on the board, the little single is a board with 4 chips, the single has 8 chips and the minirig has multiple single boards.

What's the problem?

ApeSwap.
The next-gen AMM,
Staking and Farming
Protocol on BSC
           ▄██▄
          ██████
          ██████
          ██████ ▄▄███▄
          █████
███▀ ▀▀█
    ▄█████████████▌    ▀█
   ██▀  ▀█████████▄     ▀█
  ██      █████████▄
 ▄█▀       █████████▄
▀▀          ▀█████████▄
              ▀█████████▄
                ▀█████████▄
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Stake now
for over 900% APR!
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
SLok

Activity: 568

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 07:01:00 PM

I think I see a difference on the side where the usb connectors are, minirig-board has a barrel type connector and a usb one, where the jalapeno prototype board has a (mini)-usb plus a usb one?

WARNING! Don't trade BTC with Bruno Kucinskas aka Gleb Gamow, Phinnaeus Gage, etc Laundering BTC from anonymous sellers, avoid!https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=649176.msg7279994#msg7279994 #TELLFBI #TELLKSAG #TELLIRS WARNING! Darin M. Bicknell, a proclaimed atheist, teaching at the Jakarta CanadianMontessori School. Drop your kids there at your own risk! WARNING! Christian Otzipka - Hildesheim is a known group-buy scammer, avoid! WARNING! Frizz Supertramp, faker with dozens of accounts here! WARNING! Christian "2 coins to see SLOk's" Antkow, still playing his little microphone...WARNING! Slobodan "Stolen Valor" Bogovac, faking being a ProfessorWARNING!Marion Sydney Lynn, google him, errr her, errr.. and lol
Frequency

COINDER

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 08:32:02 PM

I think I see a difference on the side where the usb connectors are, minirig-board has a barrel type connector and a usb one, where the jalapeno prototype board has a (mini)-usb plus a usb one?

no way it easely bin made that way i m not here to troll BFL but this is again no evidence and it IS the same board even the letters are sandpapered off.. but just keep giving your money to this pithole .....

COINDER
COINDER
squeept

Activity: 154

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 09:59:47 PM

That's some amazing detective work to realize that the board was turned to the side. Besides the "quarter-turn" which clearly indicates it is a scam, do you have any further observations?

I'm just going to keep repeating "it's an Altera HardCopy" because I haven't the slightest clue what I'm talking about.
farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 10:13:50 PM

Because you can make more money selling the equipment for a profit. And its riskier to mine than sell the equipment..

Yeah it "will" but it hasn't yet.

Right now that 30,000 rig will take 50 days to pay off.
Why the fuck would you sell something that will make you $30,000 in 50 days, and cut off your own profit? Say they're not being dicks, and they're making a decent margin, they're paying $20,000 for the rig that's $30,000 thats $10,000 profit.

I feel like I have to respond before something thinks what he wrote is true. The 30,000 rig will take much more than 50 days to payoff unless you are the only person in the world with the equipment. The difficulty changes every 2016 blocks, so within a few days of the first batch being received difficulty will rise by a factor of 4 (the maximum it can change, see the wiki article on "target") and will continue until it reaches steady state. your 50 days has now become 200 days a few days after receiving your rig, and will probably settle at somewhere around a year or more in the end.

Stating that BLF wont be "the only personcompany in the world to have them"?

Edit:

I'm just saying, why wouldn't a company use this, make a shit load of cash, forcing the blocks to be harder, in turn forcing people to buy their products?

Explain your logic, good sir? $30,000 in 50 days is more profit than $10-20,000 in 1 sale.
But it doesn't take 50 days to make and sell one. Say they make 1 a day, and sell it, that's $10,000 to $20,000 (to keep your estimated profit per piece) a day, so profit is in producing and selling fast, while people still see a roi in it.

Say you can make 900 a day, that doesn't mean they're bought. Last time I checked they had like 33 pre-orders for the top end rigs.
Why would you accept $330,000 profit, when in 1 month, 33 rigs will bring in at current rate $575,784 monthly before electric costs at an expense of $660,000 that someone else already paid? 2 months you make 1.14 million refund $660,000 in funds and profit for life.
BeetcoinScummer

Activity: 215
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 10:19:10 PM

Say you can make 900 a day, that doesn't mean they're bought. Last time I checked they had like 33 pre-orders for the top end rigs.
Why would you accept $330,000 profit, when in 1 month, 33 rigs will bring in at current rate $575,784 monthly before electric costs at an expense of $660,000 that someone else already paid? 2 months you make 1.14 million refund $660,000 in funds and profit for life.

Because for a relatively measly profit that would completely ruin whatever reputation you've built up and prevent you from developing and marketing future products under that brand name?
squeept

Activity: 154

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 11:47:00 PM

And the overhead to store, run, and maintain a massive amount of hardware...

And the fact that other companies are currently developing hardware with the same capabilities, which will drive down your mining profits exponentially....

And, greatest of all... demonstrating that you have, and will put to use yourself, hashing power greater than 50% of the network would destroy the currency that you need to make a profit. Not exactly a good business practice to nuke the economy you thrive on.

I'm just going to keep repeating "it's an Altera HardCopy" because I haven't the slightest clue what I'm talking about.
jayeeyee

Activity: 191
Merit: 110

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 12:59:51 AM

Seriously.. some people need to shut the fack and grow the fack up.  All I'm hearing/seeing is this:

People Type A complains how there are no information about BFL or how they're not transparent enough with their business practices.
BFL releases information on 3D CAD designs for upcoming ASIC protoypes. -> People Type A retorts back saying those are just computer generated images and BFL is a SCAM.
BFL releases information on ASIC production machines -> People Type A retorts back how those can be ovens or machines to make other stuff (conspiracy theories).. and BFL is a SCAM
BFL releases information on ACTUAL real-life ASIC prototype boards as of their most recent news. -> People Type A still continues to bitch about it and says BFL is a SCAM

I swear by the time BFL actually SHIPS the products out, people will still continue to find a way to bitch.  I'm not saying BFL isn't a scam but neither am I saying it is.. all I'm saying is I'm growing weary everytime I read complaints about BFL this and that.  Besides, for those who didn't pre-order their Jallies or Singles.. WHY ARE YOU BITCHING ABOUT SOMETHING YOU NEVER INVESTED IN?  I placed a pre-order in the start but decided to pull out.. BFL refunded me promptly.  That was my decision based on my own due-diligence.  If you didn't place a pre-order, you shouldn't be bitching about anything IMO.  Yes, it's just my IMO and my words can't hurt you.

Geez people.. SERIOUSLY! >=/
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2012, 02:12:30 AM

Frequency

COINDER

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2012, 10:36:00 AM

Seriously.. some people need to shut the fack and grow the fack up.  All I'm hearing/seeing is this:

People Type A complains how there are no information about BFL or how they're not transparent enough with their business practices.
BFL releases information on 3D CAD designs for upcoming ASIC protoypes. -> People Type A retorts back saying those are just computer generated images and BFL is a SCAM.
BFL releases information on ASIC production machines -> People Type A retorts back how those can be ovens or machines to make other stuff (conspiracy theories).. and BFL is a SCAM
BFL releases information on ACTUAL real-life ASIC prototype boards as of their most recent news. -> People Type A still continues to bitch about it and says BFL is a SCAM

I swear by the time BFL actually SHIPS the products out, people will still continue to find a way to bitch.  I'm not saying BFL isn't a scam but neither am I saying it is.. all I'm saying is I'm growing weary everytime I read complaints about BFL this and that.  Besides, for those who didn't pre-order their Jallies or Singles.. WHY ARE YOU BITCHING ABOUT SOMETHING YOU NEVER INVESTED IN?  I placed a pre-order in the start but decided to pull out.. BFL refunded me promptly.  That was my decision based on my own due-diligence.  If you didn't place a pre-order, you shouldn't be bitching about anything IMO.  Yes, it's just my IMO and my words can't hurt you.

i think u are the free SC device winner of the week....we will send it to you some were in december 201?

But you are right we (i) are bitching to much about it...Cheerzzz

COINDER
COINDER
dani

Activity: 525

..yeah

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 11:54:42 AM

am i missing something or did i got lost in the wrong thread? like 2 days ago i posted here, along with someone else and i cant find these posts again. deleted? o.O

Hai
benco

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 11:57:33 AM

it's mainly because of unclear BFL backgroud (their CEO of CTO or who actually is he) and also because of big differences in promised and real power consumption of their FPGA based miners..

it's not only about 'pre-order or not to pre-order'..Can you imagine what would happen if one of the ASIC miner vendors was a real crook and stole hundreds of thousands or millions of USD? I think Bitcoin really does not need another mega fuckup in his short history..Only we can do here is: Ask, ask, ask..and get relevant feedback..

BFL seems to be a leader in ASIC based miners development (OK, they were first who announced these toys) and I would personally expect completely different marketing strategy they actually use - especially PR since what BFL_Josh / Inaba is doing here is a pure disaster..
Frequency

COINDER

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2012, 12:05:53 PM

That's some amazing detective work to realize that the board was turned to the side. Besides the "quarter-turn" which clearly indicates it is a scam, do you have any further observations?

Here some interesting threads for u:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=88363.0

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=110805.0

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=79637.1320

COINDER
COINDER
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: