Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:38:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitmit is Closing??  (Read 22535 times)
allthingsluxury (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 08:33:27 PM
Last edit: October 19, 2012, 08:45:25 PM by allthingsluxury

Bitmit appears to be shutting down due to upcoming law changes. This is really unfortunate, as I was really liking this service. It was a great alternate place to list my products and I actually made quite a few sales on there. Not sure exactly what happened but this is the message that I just received when I tried to login to my bitmit account:

"Bitmit closes
Dear valued Bitmit user,
Unfortunately we have to shut down Bitmit because of upcoming law regulations in our country. Our server is going to be turned off in about four weeks. Please complete your orders and withdraw all your Bitcoins within that timeframe.

We are very sorry for that Sad We really enjoyed the collaboration with this awesome Bitcoin community! :*

Thank you so much for your support!

Your Bitmit Team

If you like you can spend us a goodbye beer :/ 1EP2w3vVAwTCK2xptWYAvBsM982sqaDz9w - Thank you! "

You can also see it for yourself here:

https://www.bitmit.net/en/

What country are they located in that this would cause an issue? Are they being strong armed?

P.S: for any of you who have bought from us on bitmit and have any questions or concerns, you can reach us here:

http://www.allthingsluxury.biz/Contact-Us-2.html

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 08:36:56 PM

Awww, that blows
WikileaksDude

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 08:39:09 PM

Why doesn't the owner sell the website to someone willing to run it. IMO there is a shitload of ppl capable of running the site.

This way its a win win.

Maidak
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1058

The OGz Club

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 08:39:20 PM

Yeah that really does suck I checked the contact us page. https://www.bitmit.net/en/info/contact

Flat B20/F, Infotech Center No.21 Hung To Road Kwun Tong, Kowloon Hong Kong

.The OGz Club.▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
████████████▀███▀████████████
██████████████▀█▀██████████████
████████████▄▄▄▄████████████
██████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████████▀
......The 1st & Only #MemeFi Project......
Website   ◢ Reddit   ◢ Telegram   ◢ Twitter   ◢ TikTok   ◢ Facebook

██████    ██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
       ▄▄▄██▄▄▄
    ▄███████████▄
    █████████████▄
   ███████████████
▄█████████████████▄
▀▀▀▀█████████████▀██
    ▀█████████████▄
    ▄▀█████████████▄
   █▀ ▀▀▀██████████▌
▐███    ▄█████████▀▀
 ▀▀     ▄█████▀▀
       ███▀▀
      ██▀

██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Arto
Donator

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 08:40:07 PM

Why doesn't the owner sell the website to someone willing to run it. IMO there is a shitload of ppl capable of running the site.

This way its a win win.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/11ep6x/bitmit_4_sale_investors/

allthingsluxury (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 08:41:27 PM

I know this is horrible. I would also really like to see them sell it off. Of course I know there might still be some lingering legal issues if they do this. Someone needs to start up an alternative site. I was seeing HUGE potential there.

WikileaksDude

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 08:45:57 PM

I know this is horrible. I would also really like to see them sell it off. Of course I know there might still be some lingering legal issues if they do this. Someone needs to start up an alternative site. I was seeing HUGE potential there.

HUGE?

It was going to be amazon on steroids. A flawless auction/sales bussiness.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 08:46:17 PM

Someone needs to start up an alternative site.
I think it's called Silk Road.
nomnomnom

Activity: 313
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 08:50:50 PM

God damnit. Not bitmit  Cry
I hope someone buys it and takes over or something,
tosaki

Activity: 401
Merit: 252

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 08:52:05 PM

Sadly this is true.. If someone is interested in buying the site feel free to contact us (support@bitmit.net)
Arto
Donator

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 08:55:34 PM

Sadly this is true.. If someone is interested in buying the site feel free to contact us (support@bitmit.net)

Any details on what new regulations are motivating the closure, pretty please?

tosaki

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 08:57:57 PM

Financial supervision requires special licences for businesses which holds customer funds
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 09:00:43 PM

Financial supervision requires special licences for businesses which holds customer funds

So it is only the escrow part you worry about? What about finding a few trusted escrow services and simply recommending those?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
greyhawk

Activity: 938

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 09:18:47 PM

So it is only the escrow part you worry about? What about finding a few trusted escrow services and simply recommending those?

What makes you think there is a single legal escrow service in Bitcoin Country?
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 09:20:15 PM

Why is that a problem now when it wasn't before, may I ask?
nedbert9

Activity: 252

Inactive

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 09:28:00 PM

This is upsetting.
allthingsluxury (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 09:28:38 PM

Can't you just go back to a non escrow system, rather than shut the whole thing down. User feedback is typically a very good system for weeding out the corrupt.

allthingsluxury (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 09:33:59 PM

Well bitmit is up for bid now:

https://www.bitmit.net/en/trade/i/8175-bitmit-net/description

Arto
Donator

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 09:39:38 PM

Very meta Grin

bitcoinbear

Activity: 518

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 09:42:00 PM

Shoot, I was just going to list a bunch of stuff there this weekend. I guess I will wait until the situation stabilizes.

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 09:49:06 PM

Well, shit. Sad Tosaki: Are you pursuing other options, or is this, like, final?
tosaki

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 09:52:44 PM

Now it is up 4 sale: https://www.bitmit.net/en/trade/i/8175-bitmit-net

Well, shit. Sad Tosaki: Are you pursuing other options, or is this, like, final?

I would also accept a sale option whereby I get shares of the future Bitmit company and continue with development etc.This may be the best option for all of us.
bitstarter

Activity: 300

BitcoinStarter.com Support Account

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 09:55:27 PM

just sucks ! Sad

Bitcoin Crowd Funding! Bitcoinstarter.com
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 09:58:34 PM

Sorry mate  Sad

I hope it continues under new ownership.

allthingsluxury (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 10:03:10 PM

Sorry mate  Sad

I hope it continues under new ownership.

Definitely looks like there is a lot of interest based on all the bids so far. This is a good sign.

SteamGamesBTC.com

Activity: 734
Merit: 507

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 10:17:02 PM

Bitmit is part of my life. I'm logged-in there every morning/day/night. Sales through Bitmit are around 80% of all my sales of my Steam games. I think someone will buy it and all will be fine... must be fine! Bitmit have amazing BTCIG potenetial. I just wanna thanks for admin for his amazing friendly support. But I guess, we'll meet all together on Bitmit new edition. :-)

SteamGamesBTC.com
> Automatic 24/7 bot: purchase any Steam game 20% cheaper with Bitcoin! <
elux
Legendary

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 10:22:28 PM
Last edit: October 20, 2012, 02:27:32 AM by elux

Definitely looks like there is a lot of interest based on all the bids so far. This is a good sign.

Well, at the moment I seem to have the highest bid at 100 BTC. (Which is ludicrously low, all things considered.)

Bitmit is The Bitcoin marketplace. At least this side of the law.
Bitmit shall not, must not, will not be allowed to die. Or have we lost all faith in this project already?

Gentlemen, I believe this is the part in which we rise to the occasion.
allthingsluxury (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 10:45:42 PM

Well, at the moment I seem to have the highest bid at 100 BTC. (Which is ludicrously low, all things considered.)

Bitmit is The Bitcoin marketplace. At least this side of the law.  Wink
Bitmit shall not, must not, will not be allowed to die. Or have we lost all faith in this project already?

Gentlemen, I believe this is the part in which we rise to the occasion.

Love it. Very well said. I agree bitmit is a vital project. I am doing my part to add to the bitcoin marketplace with All Things Luxury, but my site is more of a niche for jewelry and gifts. Bitmit IS the ebay of bitcoin. A stable trading post I believe is a must for everyday users.

Really happy that so many people are willing to step up and take over the project.

allthingsluxury (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 10:46:53 PM

Bitmit is part of my life. I'm logged-in there every morning/day/night. Sales through Bitmit are around 80% of all my sales of my Steam games. I think someone will buy it and all will be fine... must be fine! Bitmit have amazing BTCIG potenetial. I just wanna thanks for admin for his amazing friendly support. But I guess, we'll meet all together on Bitmit new edition. :-)

I noticed you on there. You do a large amount of successful sales through bitmit. Heres to hoping it stays up.

Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 11:03:46 PM

Bitmit's address:

Flat B20/F, Infotech Center No.21 Hung To Road Kwun Tong, Kowloon Hong Kong
https://www.bitmit.net/en/info/contact

Law and jurisdiction
These terms of service will be governed by and construed in accordance with Hong Kong law, and any disputes relating to these terms of service will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Hong Kong.
https://www.bitmit.net/en/tos/
weex
Legendary

Activity: 1102

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 11:07:03 PM

I agree it's a huge discount over what tosaki and all the users who have done listings have put into the site. If I weren't running CoinDL, I'd bid more but it's early yet...the auction's been up for <2 hours?
fornit

Activity: 991
Merit: 1008

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 11:24:20 PM

overbid you. very leet bid btw  Wink

edit btw: did anyone notice its with escrow? i mean, how is that gonna work?  deadlock anyone?Grin
WikileaksDude

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 11:31:57 PM

I agree it's a huge discount over what tosaki and all the users who have done listings have put into the site. If I weren't running CoinDL, I'd bid more but it's early yet...the auction's been up for <2 hours?

GoGo weex !

Daily Anarchist

Activity: 614

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 11:43:29 PM

Let this be a lesson to everybody:

If you're going to start a new Bitcoin business, do it on Tor and keep your identity anonymous. Governments all around the world are in the process of locking down the internet. Don't start a huge business on the clearnet, which will just come under attack once it starts to get successful.

Discover anarcho-capitalism today!
Gladamas

Activity: 294

Bitcoin today is what the internet was in 1998.

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 12:04:49 AM

Let this be a lesson to everybody:

If you're going to start a new Bitcoin business, do it on Tor and keep your identity anonymous. Governments all around the world are in the process of locking down the internet. Don't start a huge business on the clearnet, which will just come under attack once it starts to get successful.

I agree this would be a good idea, considering the closing of GLBSE, etc.

1GLADMZ5tL4HkS6BAWPfJLeZJCDHAd9Fr3 - LQ6Zx8v7fHVBiDX5Lmhbp6oEDB7dUFjANu
GPG 0xF219D5BB3C467E12 - Litecoin Forum
Bitco

Activity: 746
Merit: 253

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 12:07:38 AM

Hosting a for-sale site is probably okay, but an escrow service that is holding other people's money could give rise to legal liability in a number of countries.

I hope the potential buyers consider this carefully, and discuss it with legal counsel.
Daily Anarchist

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 12:18:06 AM

Hosting a for-sale site is probably okay, but an escrow service that is holding other people's money could give rise to legal liability in a number of countries.

I hope the potential buyers consider this carefully, and discuss it with legal counsel.

Forget legal council. Laws change on a whim if you haven't noticed. Voluntary trade is under attack. We need to quit asking for permission to do business. We can do that on Tor.

barbarousrelic

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 01:17:31 AM

I wish I had more to contribute, but I just want to chip in another voice saying that Bitmit is invaluable to the Bitcoin community and I hope a good businessperson takes over.

I'd buy stock in it if glbse was still running. . .

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 01:30:27 AM

Forget legal council. Laws change on a whim if you haven't noticed. Voluntary trade is under attack. We need to quit asking for permission to do business. We can do that on Tor.
I think Tormail is a good example to follow. They have their main servers hidden somewhere, and the public-facing website at tormail.org is a vps that's running nothing more than a Tor node and a copy of socat.
Arto
Donator

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 01:35:43 AM

I think Tormail is a good example to follow. They have their main servers hidden somewhere, and the public-facing website at tormail.org is a vps that's running nothing more than a Tor node and a copy of socat.

+1. This is also now basically the architecture that The Pirate Bay uses:

"All communication with users goes through TPB's load balancer, which is a disk-less server with all the configuration in RAM. The load balancer is not in the same country as the transit-router or the cloud servers," The Pirate Bay told us.

"The communication between the load balancer and the virtual servers is encrypted. So even if a cloud provider found out they're running TPB, they can't look at the content of user traffic or user's IP-addresses.” [...]

The worst case scenario is that The Pirate Bay loses both its transit router and its load balancer. All the important data is backed up externally on VMs that can be re-installed at cloud hosting providers anywhere in the world.

"If the police decide to raid us again there are no servers to take, just a transit router. If they follow the trail to the next country and find the load balancer, there is just a disk-less server there. In case they find out where the cloud provider is, all they can get are encrypted disk-images," The Pirate Bay says.

"They have to be quick about it too, if the servers have been out of communication with the load balancer for 8 hours they automatically shut down. When the servers are booted up, access is only granted to those who have the encryption password," they add.

Deafboy

Activity: 482

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 02:16:03 AM

If Bitmit dies, the bit of me dies too. I am considering joining the bid party.

Tip for bitcoin business owners #1 : Save the messages like "Sorry, we're closing. Goodby and thanks for all the fish!" as a last possible choice. Selling the company is actually best way to do it without harming the customers and our small economy as well. Not even mentioning that after GLBSE closing, this message nearly caused me a heart attack. Now I'm going to kitchen, make myself some hot tea and try to calm down.
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 03:07:38 AM

bitmit seemed a bit amateurish to me since the start anyway. There are more professional sites like coinpost.com, I think even if bitmit dies, it'd be a non-event, another site will take over.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
inbox

Activity: 179

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 04:14:17 AM
Last edit: June 20, 2013, 01:54:11 PM by inbox

weex
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 04:19:52 AM

bitmit seemed a bit amateurish to me since the start anyway. There are more professional sites like coinpost.com, I think even if bitmit dies, it'd be a non-event, another site will take over.

I agree, very professional with 23 items listed..
Choose 23 things, and do them well. /sorry couldn't help it....this really shouldn't be a pissing contest but I'm sure valuable criticisms of all platforms can be pointed out.
freecoin

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 05:04:11 AM

bummer.  I like bitmit.net

But you know, this could be run lawfully from the US.  The secret is to keep it all outside the Federal Reserve system.  That's how THEY get jurisdiction to control you in the first place - if you endorse private credit of the Federal Reserve then you're subject to the terms of their (hidden) agreement.
ercolinux
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 05:17:56 AM

Damned laws   Angry
I'm looking after buying it, but Italian law is even worse: If I run a site like bitmit in Italy I would be forced to have no other income from different kind of work than intermediation. If is a site that generate 500-1000 BTC/month of income I can maybe try it, but for 40-50BTC/month is not worth it

Bitrated user: ercolinux.
ercolinux
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 06:13:36 AM

can't they just use tor or something

This put them of law anyway: incomes have to be declared and so on. There are only 3 ways IMHO: move away to a country where is legal run this kind of site, sell it or scorporate the unlaw part of the site and move it to another country.

Bitrated user: ercolinux.

Activity: 756

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 06:13:40 AM

It won't let me bid 1,500

https://www.bitmit.net/en/trade/i/8175-bitmit-net/bids

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
weex
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 06:31:35 AM

Perhaps $1500 or 125 btc is some sort of hard-coded limit. PM tosaki.
bitcats
Legendary

Activity: 1014
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 06:45:36 AM

There is still http://www.bitcoinclassifieds.net/

"Unser Problem ist nicht ziviler Ungehorsam, unser Problem ist ziviler Gehorsam."  - Howard Zinn
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 09:24:44 AM

I agree, very professional with 23 items listed..

Not even 23. There are some duplicates across different categories, and all but one of the posts are mine. There could be well over 100 if I listed all my stuff for sale, but not everything can be shipped in USPS Priority flat rate boxes, nor the ad entry be as easy as craigslist. LOL

Forced escrow was a site-killer for me on Bitmit. When you already run an Amazon marketplace shop and get paid when you buy/confirm shipping, any escrow hold length more than that is an insult, especially when you aren't a bloody criminal, rather a terrible salesman who is honest about what he sells.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
danster82

Activity: 43

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 10:00:10 AM

Id like to know what the claim of illegality actually is.
greyhawk

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 10:23:50 AM

edit btw: did anyone notice its with escrow? i mean, how is that gonna work?  deadlock anyone?Grin

Are you THE fornit of RoidRechner fame?
thebaron

Activity: 434

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 10:37:53 AM

Forced escrow was a site-killer for me on Bitmit. When you already run an Amazon marketplace shop and get paid when you buy/confirm shipping, any escrow hold length more than that is an insult, especially when you aren't a bloody criminal, rather a terrible salesman who is honest about what he sells.

Escrow should be something that's lifted once you meet certain seller performance requirements. Or at least a 50/50 thing (upfront/on delivery).
fornit

Activity: 991
Merit: 1008

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 11:29:03 AM

Are you THE fornit of RoidRechner fame?

two minutes ago,i didnt even know what roidrechner was. but since the name is from a stephen king short story it is not that unlikely to have another one out there  Smiley

ontopic:
i dont think bitmit will go away. its already picking up pace and will certainly find a buyer that can see the potential and has the resources to guarantee a smooth transition to another legislation. germany is really not the country for financial experiments. way too regulated.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 12:10:08 PM

Re; Escrow:

At the conference there was a pretty great talk about Scripting in the Bitcoin protocol and how things like Escrow can be embedded into the blockchain, eliminating in many instances the need for 3rd parties. I think it would be nice to see many of the currently disabled (but already existing) scripting features turned on so people can start to think of an even MORE Satoshi Future.

more or less retired.
Isokivi

Activity: 910

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 12:58:18 PM

Please sell the site, hell I'll even make an offer myself if need be.

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
tosaki

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 01:25:02 PM

You can deactivate it once you have sold some items.

However,  we may can continue with the help of another partner.
DublinBrian

Activity: 197

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 02:09:20 PM

Bitmit should apply for a licence. How much could it cost? Surely not so much. Many businesses like real estate agents, take customer deposits.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 02:57:08 PM

Have you guys checked out gov.hk on MSO?

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 04:21:37 PM

From the FAQ :

What is the definition of a Money Service Operator (“MSO”)?
A person who or an institution which operates a money changing service or a remittance service is a Money Service Operator.

Do this apply for a ecommerce site like Bitmit ?

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078

BCJ

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 04:45:38 PM

What would you like to see replace Bitmit?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=119457.msg1285951#msg1285951
greyhawk

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 05:09:28 PM

From the FAQ :

A person who or an institution which operates a money changing service or a remittance service is a Money Service Operator.

The escrow part does.

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 05:49:10 PM

somebody now compile a list of the competing sites

then we should examine the benefits and detriments of each design

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 05:51:53 PM

From the FAQ :

Have you read the thread? They say the problems arise from them keeping their users funds for escrow purposes. For me that is equivalent to a "remittance service", send money from point A to point B securely. Off course that operation is not instant, for escrow purposes, but it doesn't mean to be a whole new concept overall.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
gusti
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 05:56:49 PM

From the FAQ :

Have you read the thread? They say the problems arise from them keeping their users funds for escrow purposes. For me that is equivalent to a "remittance service", send money from point A to point B securely. Off course that operation is not instant, for escrow purposes, but it doesn't mean to be a whole new concept overall.

Yes, I read the whole thread. You say that "escrow service" and "remittance service" are equivalent.
Any backup for that, or just saying ? I can also say that a car seller is a "remittance service".

tosaki

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 06:01:46 PM

Currently I am pointing out some options we have. I regret that I have published this depressing closure msg. I think we will find a solution that satisfies all of us so don't worry guys! Smiley
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 06:13:20 PM

From the FAQ :

Yes, I read the whole thread. You say that "escrow service" and "remittance service" are equivalent.
Any backup for that, or just saying ? I can also say that a car seller is a "remittance service".

Don't mix things up, bitmit is not selling the products only providing the platform for sellers and buyers to meet and trade. Bitcoins don't have a legal status right now, so they are to be treated as local currency on any specific platform any given time. What I mean is BTC can be treated as bitmit currency for paying the products, so without them "remitting" internally there would be no exchange of goods.

allthingsluxury (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 06:19:24 PM

Honestly I believe if Bitmit got rid of it's escrow system there would be no legal problems at all. To me this seems like the only thing that could get you in trouble. There is nothing illegal about running a auction website. Just register yourself as a legal business and pay your taxes, you shouldn't have any issues at all since you are simply providing an outlet for buyers and sellers.

I hope that the escrow system is done away with in the future and whoever ends up taking over the site takes some of the positive criticism to heart that is posted here and makes the required improvements.

I see a huge amount of potential here for this site. With the amount of traffic that this website generates its value is substantial.

gusti
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 08:46:38 PM

Don't mix things up, bitmit is not selling the products only providing the platform for sellers and buyers to meet and trade. Bitcoins don't have a legal status right now, so they are to be treated as local currency on any specific platform any given time. What I mean is BTC can be treated as bitmit currency for paying the products, so without them "remitting" internally there would be no exchange of goods.

You are pulling that opinions from your arse, without any backup or previous ruling in any jurisdiction.
Are you a lawyer or regulator, or did you talk with any ? Nonsense.

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 08:59:05 PM
Last edit: October 21, 2012, 11:33:11 AM by paraipan

You are pulling that opinions from your arse, without any backup or previous ruling in any jurisdiction.
Are you a lawyer or regulator, or did you talk with any ? Nonsense.

I'm none of that, this is only my personal opinion after talking with various people on the issue and none of them knew better, even though some of the make a living at giving legal advice. Bitcoins currently are magic cards for any legal entity, so, can you prove otherwise?

mikegogulski

Activity: 360

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 11:37:09 PM

(...snip...)

Agreed here on all counts. I'm in the bidding myself for Bitmit. Sure, I'll run it with as much jurisdictional diversity and back-end hiding as possible, and screw the lawyers anyway. I'm *also* willing to be the public figurehead who takes the legal blame if things go sour. "Stateless ex-American Anarchist on Trial in Europe for Running Unregulated Financial Service" just sounds too cool.

FREE ROSS ULBRICHT, allegedly one of the Dread Pirates Roberts of the Silk Road
Daily Anarchist

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 11:38:12 PM

(...snip...)

Agreed here on all counts. I'm in the bidding myself for Bitmit. Sure, I'll run it with as much jurisdictional diversity and back-end hiding as possible, and screw the lawyers anyway. I'm *also* willing to be the public figurehead who takes the legal blame if things go sour. "Stateless ex-American Anarchist on Trial in Europe for Running Unregulated Financial Service" just sounds too cool.

My man!  Grin

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 11:47:59 PM

(...snip...)

Nefario could learn something with you ;-)
Deafboy

Activity: 482

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2012, 08:29:06 AM

Nefario told us exactly the same. But I'm OK with Mike.
Btw auction disapeared. Is it sold already?
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2012, 08:31:57 AM

Nefario approached the authorities himself. Mike probably wont  Smiley

mikegogulski

Activity: 360

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2012, 10:43:47 AM

Nefario approached the authorities himself. Mike probably wont  Smiley

Why on earth would I?

Quote from: P-J Proudhon
To be GOVERNED is to be watched, inspected, spied upon, directed, law-driven, numbered, regulated, enrolled, indoctrinated, preached at, controlled, checked, estimated, valued, censured, commanded, by creatures who have neither the right nor the wisdom nor the virtue to do so. To be GOVERNED is to be at every operation, at every transaction noted, registered, counted, taxed, stamped, measured, numbered, assessed, licensed, authorized, admonished, prevented, forbidden, reformed, corrected, punished. It is, under pretext of public utility, and in the name of the general interest, to be place[d] under contribution, drilled, fleeced, exploited, monopolized, extorted from, squeezed, hoaxed, robbed; then, at the slightest resistance, the first word of complaint, to be repressed, fined, vilified, harassed, hunted down, abused, clubbed, disarmed, bound, choked, imprisoned, judged, condemned, shot, deported, sacrificed, sold, betrayed; and to crown all, mocked, ridiculed, derided, outraged, dishonored. That is government; that is its justice; that is its morality.

FREE ROSS ULBRICHT, allegedly one of the Dread Pirates Roberts of the Silk Road
tosaki

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 11:29:30 AM

Good news. We have figured out a solution for this problem. Bitmit is not going to be sold. Business as usual =)

I am sorry for the insecurity this may have caused.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2012, 11:32:37 AM

Good news. We have figured out a solution to this problem. Bitmit is not going to be sold. Business as usual =)

Great news  Smiley

bitcats
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 11:39:42 AM

How did you solve the problem?

Or did you just try to test out the market value of Bitmit?

"Unser Problem ist nicht ziviler Ungehorsam, unser Problem ist ziviler Gehorsam."  - Howard Zinn
barbarousrelic

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 01:47:07 PM

Good news. We have figured out a solution for this problem. Bitmit is not going to be sold. Business as usual =)

Hooray!

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
elux
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 02:05:28 PM

"Business as usual =)" Interesting PR strategy. ಠ_ಠ

Don't cry wolf, unless the theatre is on fire, as the saying goes. Mind detailing the solution?

I'll be a bit disappointed If this was a gimmick, what with services actually going up in flames every other week and all.

Also: Hooray!  Wink
tosaki

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 02:12:45 PM

No, that really was no joke or stupid PR gag. But when one door closes another opens. I will publish details regarding our solution soon.
freeAgent

Activity: 240

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 02:21:22 PM

No, that really was no joke or stupid PR gag. But when one door closes another opens. I will publish details regarding our solution soon.

Awesome! Smiley
stevegee58
Legendary

Activity: 916

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 02:26:01 PM

I'm curious.  Why operate a normal web site out in the open when you can just set up a Tor hidden service?

Just because there are sketchy sites on Tor doesn't mean your site has to be sketchy.  Operating a normal internet web site just opens yourself to all manner of regulatory (and law enforcement) interference even if you're not doing anything wrong.

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
elux
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 02:52:48 PM

I'm curious.  Why operate a normal web site out in the open when you can just set up a Tor hidden service?

In general: Because you're trying to do business, and doing business as a hidden service will immediately kill most of that business.

What would happen to the trade volume of ebay if ebay.com suddenly moved to ebay(...).onion?

Even SilkRoad would (I presume) explode with traffic if it was feasible to operate securely in the clear. (Which it is not.)

Going hidden has to be an strict necessity in order to outweigh the not-so-trivial inconvenience to the customer.

(And the resulting loss of business to the business.)

Update: Having an optional hidden service would be nice, novel, and likely to attract some modest additional business, without being too costly.

Low hosting fees on hidden services, innit? Smiley

Vitalik Buterin

Activity: 330
Merit: 397

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 02:54:31 PM

Just because there are sketchy sites on Tor doesn't mean your site has to be sketchy.  Operating a normal internet web site just opens yourself to all manner of regulatory (and law enforcement) interference even if you're not doing anything wrong.

Because voluntarily disclosing your physical identity and location to give people more recourse in case you turn out to be a fraud is a good way to immediately build trust.

Argumentum ad lunam: the fallacy that because Bitcoin's price is rising really fast the currency must be a speculative bubble and/or Ponzi scheme.
stevegee58
Legendary

Activity: 916

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 02:55:11 PM

In general: Because you're trying to do business, and doing business as a hidden service will immediately kill most of that business.

What would happen to the trade volume of ebay if ebay.com suddenly moved to ebay(...).onion?

Even SilkRoad would (I presume) explode with traffic if it was feasible to operate securely in the clear. (Which it is not.)

Going hidden has to be an strict necessity in order to outweigh the not-so-trivial inconvenience.

I already thought of this, but what's more inconvenient and detrimental to trade volume than getting shut down?

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 03:28:07 PM

Going hidden has to be an strict necessity in order to outweigh the not-so-trivial inconvenience.

I already thought of this, but what's more inconvenient and detrimental to trade volume than getting shut down?

Oh imagine if Silk Road was in the open. Wow.

more or less retired.
elux
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 03:39:13 PM
Last edit: October 22, 2012, 08:06:33 PM by elux

Exactly. (Go open AND get shut down, OR go hidden service and stay tiny.)

This scenario is the only scenario where a hidden-service-only business model is preferable to the alternative.
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2012, 07:48:48 PM

Oh imagine if Silk Road was in the open. Wow.

they should do an open house day... just one day.  Cheesy

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
Mr. Coinman

Activity: 277

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 07:55:08 PM
Last edit: October 22, 2012, 03:41:40 AM by Mr. Coinman

Great news! You had us all worried. Roll Eyes

allthingsluxury (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2012, 03:30:41 AM

Nice, glad that bitmit is staying open. I really am interested to hear your solution.

bitcats
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 06:33:15 AM

The whole thing looks fishy

Comodore

Activity: 159

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 01:51:28 PM

Dear Bitmit,
I do have a question. What country are you operating from? And what were the acts prohibiting you?

Thank you
deeplink

Activity: 728

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 01:58:47 PM

Dear Bitmit,
I do have a question. What country are you operating from? And what were the acts prohibiting you?

Thank you

They operate from Hong Kong and the problem seems to be with escrow.
barbarousrelic

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 04:11:35 PM

OP should change the title.

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 05:24:12 PM

Something fishy about this whole thing.  They playing us (or somebody)??
tosaki

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 07:54:28 PM

It was stupid and not professional to announce the closure without figuring out the alternatives we have. As I already said we have a serious solution which will be a benefit for all of us. Informative details to this whole story and - for more transparency - background information about Bitmit will be published soon (bitcoin magazine, codinginmysleep.com).

Something fishy about this whole thing.  They playing us (or somebody)??

The only fishy thing on Bitmit might be this https://www.bitmit.net/zh-cn/trade/i/3022-fishnet-stockings-black  Wink

Thanks for your support
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 08:38:35 PM

tosaki,

It's a little  disingenuous to make a public announcement about the closing of your site, disappointing all of your user over what seemed to be a liked and much used service, then to come back and say "Oh wait, we've figured it out, we're not really closing - New at 10:00."

Bitfloor lost hundreds of thousand of dollars, shut down to deal with the security issues and never once mentioned closing and they are back in operation.

For the sake of transparency I think you  owe it to your user and the community in general to explain yourselves here.

Otherwise is looks like a publicity ploy at the expense of your users.

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 12:26:23 AM

cash
https://www.bitmit.net/en/trade/i/8597-us-cash-20-usps-first-class-bubble-mailer-w-dcn-escrow

what is DCN?

tosaki,

It's a little  disingenuous to make a public announcement about the closing of your site, disappointing all of your user over what seemed to be a liked and much used service, then to come back and say "Oh wait, we've figured it out, we're not really closing - New at 10:00."

Bitfloor lost hundreds of thousand of dollars, shut down to deal with the security issues and never once mentioned closing and they are back in operation.

For the sake of transparency I think you  owe it to your user and the community in general to explain yourselves here.

Otherwise is looks like a publicity ploy at the expense of your users.

I second that

TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2012, 12:54:09 AM

I'll use a Delivery Confirmation Number (DCN).

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 12:55:22 AM

with USPS

TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2012, 03:30:42 AM

Yes.

MPOE-PR

Merit: 522

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 09:25:35 AM

What's the definition of soon in this context?

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2012, 08:14:16 PM

"Two weeks!"

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 02:06:22 PM

"Two weeks!"

you're with bitmit?

TheButterZone
Legendary

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2012, 07:51:40 PM

LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Money_Pit#Plot

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 11:31:28 PM

HAHAHA

Mr. Coinman

Activity: 277

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 05:23:59 AM

"The Bitpit.net"

gabbynot

Activity: 341

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 12:43:10 AM

So is this closed now?  The website doesn't come up for me.
dstruct2k

Activity: 48

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 12:51:29 AM

Wondering the same thing as the last post... I've got coins there Sad
acorn

Activity: 121

I make pretty things.

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2012, 01:03:04 AM

Loads fine for me  Huh
dstruct2k

Activity: 48

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 01:18:05 AM

Loads fine for me  Huh
Yeah, it seems to be back up... Still, cancelling all purchases and pulling my coins.
tosaki

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 06:09:19 AM

We had some problems in our data center.  Dont worry, Of course bitmit does not close and will continue its business. At this time we are creating a new company for it.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 01:31:22 AM

As a bookend to this thread:

However, due to private reasons I decided to close Bitmit. It it too much stress for me because it is a huge responsibility to keep such a site running and  growing user funds safe. The site will stay online for some more weeks to guarantee that all current orders can be completed.

and then:

I planned this already some time ago and when I am going to "close"->sell Bitmit to somebody who can run it more seriously it would be a benefit for all of us I think.

Selling it on a Bitmit auction is a quite good idea I consider.

[Edit: And a related thread:

[warning] bitmit.net was sold secret without telling the community.
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=135366.0 ]

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

shrimpdigger

Activity: 123
Merit: 10

NYC NYC NYC

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 02:04:16 PM

ebay is great, bitmit could be better, don't close it down, arnt they making money?
Taccomc

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 07:15:34 AM

if anyone is looking to buy on amazon with ripple or bitcoin  I just did a transaction through bitcurl.com that went smoothly.

Let's color the MOON: XzB5J9HQSPyfN5goGsqV3D65w4VpeqGNF5
mackstuart

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 01:25:28 PM

what the heck is going on with bitmit?  I hope I haven't lost my wallet Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh

favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2013, 02:06:26 PM

Sorry that it takes longer than expected to bring the site back online. We are forced  by our hoster to setup ddos protection service and hoster is setting up relocation of server.

SEARCH IS YOUR FRIEND

bbit
Legendary

Activity: 1330

Bitcoin

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 12:12:19 AM

bitmint is gone

█████████████████     ████████
       ████████              ████████
     ████████     ███████  ████████     ████████
    ████████     █████████████████     ████████
████████     ████████  ███████     ████████
          ████████     █████████████████
▄▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██     
██
██
▬▬ THE LARGEST & MOST TRUSTED ▬▬
      BITCOIN SPORTSBOOK     
   ▄▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██     
██
██
             ▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▄
     ▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀        ▀▄▄▄▄           
▄▀▀▀▀                 █   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
█                    ▀▄          █
 █   ▀▌     ██▄        █          █               
 ▀▄        ▐████▄       █        █
  █        ███████▄     ▀▄       █
   █      ▐████▄█████████████████████▄
   ▀▄     ███████▀                  ▀██
    █      ▀█████    ▄▄        ▄▄    ██
     █       ▀███   ████      ████   ██
     ▀▄        ██    ▀▀        ▀▀    ██
      █        ██        ▄██▄        ██
       █       ██        ▀██▀        ██
       ▀▄      ██    ▄▄        ▄▄    ██
        █      ██   ████      ████   ██
         █▄▄▄▄▀██    ▀▀        ▀▀    ██
               ██▄                  ▄██
                ▀████████████████████▀

CASINO  ●  DICE  ●  POKER   
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
   24 hour Customer Support   

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
bitcats
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 07:19:37 AM

@tosaki
bitmit.net is still down.
Please give us some information about the status quo.

darrd

Activity: 24

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 09:13:40 AM

Bitmit is ended
cosmicblue

Activity: 282

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 10:12:39 AM

Bitmit is ended
reasons, prove?

Big dom the donkey destroyer.
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 10:47:29 AM

Better lock this one as the title and the first posts are very misguiding of the subsequent situation.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 10:51:39 AM

Topic locked because this matter is already resolved.
New concerns about bitmit closing should go in a new thread. Thank you!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: