Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:03:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitmit is Closing??  (Read 22535 times)
gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 04:21:37 PM

Sadly this is true.. If someone is interested in buying the site feel free to contact us (support@bitmit.net)

Any details on what new regulations are motivating the closure, pretty please?

Financial supervision requires special licences for businesses which holds customer funds

Have you guys checked out gov.hk on MSO?

From the FAQ :

What is the definition of a Money Service Operator (“MSO”)?
A person who or an institution which operates a money changing service or a remittance service is a Money Service Operator.

Do this apply for a ecommerce site like Bitmit ?

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 04:45:38 PM

What would you like to see replace Bitmit?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=119457.msg1285951#msg1285951
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 05:09:28 PM

Sadly this is true.. If someone is interested in buying the site feel free to contact us (support@bitmit.net)

Financial supervision requires special licences for businesses which holds customer funds

From the FAQ :

A person who or an institution which operates a money changing service or a remittance service is a Money Service Operator.

The escrow part does.

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 05:49:10 PM

somebody now compile a list of the competing sites

then we should examine the benefits and detriments of each design

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 05:51:53 PM

From the FAQ :

Have you read the thread? They say the problems arise from them keeping their users funds for escrow purposes. For me that is equivalent to a "remittance service", send money from point A to point B securely. Off course that operation is not instant, for escrow purposes, but it doesn't mean to be a whole new concept overall.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
gusti
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 05:56:49 PM

From the FAQ :

Have you read the thread? They say the problems arise from them keeping their users funds for escrow purposes. For me that is equivalent to a "remittance service", send money from point A to point B securely. Off course that operation is not instant, for escrow purposes, but it doesn't mean to be a whole new concept overall.

Yes, I read the whole thread. You say that "escrow service" and "remittance service" are equivalent.
Any backup for that, or just saying ? I can also say that a car seller is a "remittance service".

tosaki

Activity: 401
Merit: 252

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 06:01:46 PM

Currently I am pointing out some options we have. I regret that I have published this depressing closure msg. I think we will find a solution that satisfies all of us so don't worry guys! Smiley
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 06:13:20 PM

From the FAQ :

Yes, I read the whole thread. You say that "escrow service" and "remittance service" are equivalent.
Any backup for that, or just saying ? I can also say that a car seller is a "remittance service".

Don't mix things up, bitmit is not selling the products only providing the platform for sellers and buyers to meet and trade. Bitcoins don't have a legal status right now, so they are to be treated as local currency on any specific platform any given time. What I mean is BTC can be treated as bitmit currency for paying the products, so without them "remitting" internally there would be no exchange of goods.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
allthingsluxury (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 06:19:24 PM

Honestly I believe if Bitmit got rid of it's escrow system there would be no legal problems at all. To me this seems like the only thing that could get you in trouble. There is nothing illegal about running a auction website. Just register yourself as a legal business and pay your taxes, you shouldn't have any issues at all since you are simply providing an outlet for buyers and sellers.

I hope that the escrow system is done away with in the future and whoever ends up taking over the site takes some of the positive criticism to heart that is posted here and makes the required improvements.

I see a huge amount of potential here for this site. With the amount of traffic that this website generates its value is substantial.

gusti
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 08:46:38 PM

Don't mix things up, bitmit is not selling the products only providing the platform for sellers and buyers to meet and trade. Bitcoins don't have a legal status right now, so they are to be treated as local currency on any specific platform any given time. What I mean is BTC can be treated as bitmit currency for paying the products, so without them "remitting" internally there would be no exchange of goods.

You are pulling that opinions from your arse, without any backup or previous ruling in any jurisdiction.
Are you a lawyer or regulator, or did you talk with any ? Nonsense.

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 08:59:05 PM
Last edit: October 21, 2012, 11:33:11 AM by paraipan

You are pulling that opinions from your arse, without any backup or previous ruling in any jurisdiction.
Are you a lawyer or regulator, or did you talk with any ? Nonsense.

I'm none of that, this is only my personal opinion after talking with various people on the issue and none of them knew better, even though some of the make a living at giving legal advice. Bitcoins currently are magic cards for any legal entity, so, can you prove otherwise?

mikegogulski

Activity: 360
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 11:37:09 PM

Forget legal council. Laws change on a whim if you haven't noticed. Voluntary trade is under attack. We need to quit asking for permission to do business. We can do that on Tor.
I think Tormail is a good example to follow. They have their main servers hidden somewhere, and the public-facing website at tormail.org is a vps that's running nothing more than a Tor node and a copy of socat.

+1. This is also now basically the architecture that The Pirate Bay uses:

(...snip...)

Agreed here on all counts. I'm in the bidding myself for Bitmit. Sure, I'll run it with as much jurisdictional diversity and back-end hiding as possible, and screw the lawyers anyway. I'm *also* willing to be the public figurehead who takes the legal blame if things go sour. "Stateless ex-American Anarchist on Trial in Europe for Running Unregulated Financial Service" just sounds too cool.

FREE ROSS ULBRICHT, allegedly one of the Dread Pirates Roberts of the Silk Road
Daily Anarchist

Activity: 614

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 11:38:12 PM

Forget legal council. Laws change on a whim if you haven't noticed. Voluntary trade is under attack. We need to quit asking for permission to do business. We can do that on Tor.
I think Tormail is a good example to follow. They have their main servers hidden somewhere, and the public-facing website at tormail.org is a vps that's running nothing more than a Tor node and a copy of socat.

(...snip...)

Agreed here on all counts. I'm in the bidding myself for Bitmit. Sure, I'll run it with as much jurisdictional diversity and back-end hiding as possible, and screw the lawyers anyway. I'm *also* willing to be the public figurehead who takes the legal blame if things go sour. "Stateless ex-American Anarchist on Trial in Europe for Running Unregulated Financial Service" just sounds too cool.

My man!  Grin

Discover anarcho-capitalism today!
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 11:47:59 PM

(...snip...)

Nefario could learn something with you ;-)
Deafboy

Activity: 482
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2012, 08:29:06 AM

Nefario told us exactly the same. But I'm OK with Mike.
Btw auction disapeared. Is it sold already?
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2012, 08:31:57 AM

Nefario approached the authorities himself. Mike probably wont  Smiley

mikegogulski

Activity: 360
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2012, 10:43:47 AM

Nefario approached the authorities himself. Mike probably wont  Smiley

Why on earth would I?

Quote from: P-J Proudhon
To be GOVERNED is to be watched, inspected, spied upon, directed, law-driven, numbered, regulated, enrolled, indoctrinated, preached at, controlled, checked, estimated, valued, censured, commanded, by creatures who have neither the right nor the wisdom nor the virtue to do so. To be GOVERNED is to be at every operation, at every transaction noted, registered, counted, taxed, stamped, measured, numbered, assessed, licensed, authorized, admonished, prevented, forbidden, reformed, corrected, punished. It is, under pretext of public utility, and in the name of the general interest, to be place[d] under contribution, drilled, fleeced, exploited, monopolized, extorted from, squeezed, hoaxed, robbed; then, at the slightest resistance, the first word of complaint, to be repressed, fined, vilified, harassed, hunted down, abused, clubbed, disarmed, bound, choked, imprisoned, judged, condemned, shot, deported, sacrificed, sold, betrayed; and to crown all, mocked, ridiculed, derided, outraged, dishonored. That is government; that is its justice; that is its morality.

FREE ROSS ULBRICHT, allegedly one of the Dread Pirates Roberts of the Silk Road
tosaki

Activity: 401
Merit: 252

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 11:29:30 AM

Good news. We have figured out a solution for this problem. Bitmit is not going to be sold. Business as usual =)

I am sorry for the insecurity this may have caused.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2012, 11:32:37 AM

Good news. We have figured out a solution to this problem. Bitmit is not going to be sold. Business as usual =)

I am sorry for the insecurity this may have caused.

Great news  Smiley

bitcats
Legendary

Activity: 1014
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 11:39:42 AM

How did you solve the problem?

Or did you just try to test out the market value of Bitmit?

"Unser Problem ist nicht ziviler Ungehorsam, unser Problem ist ziviler Gehorsam."  - Howard Zinn
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: