Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:03:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Crossing borders: with a lot of money?  (Read 3090 times)
nybble41

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 21, 2013, 04:36:59 PM

In the U.S., be aware of the "suspicionless, electronics search rules"
Who said anything about electronics? Use an Electrum wallet, and memorize your seed passphrase. They haven't come up with a way to search your brain (yet). You don't even need to install the software until you reach your destination; there won't be anything for them to find.
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 01:21:46 AM

Who said anything about electronics?

The post I was replying to suggested doing a trade once you've crossed the border.  Presumably 100% of trades will involve electronics.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Vernon715

Activity: 182

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 01:42:28 AM

Just print out an encrypted private key in the form of a qr code and cross the border. even if border control knew what it was, they couldn't see the public key, so they wouldn't be able to tell the value.

Please donate: 1FfJzfpGCXD6saKqmMs8W1qt9wouhA98Mj

http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/1642

nybble41

Activity: 152

View Profile
February 22, 2013, 06:38:23 PM

Who said anything about electronics?
The post I was replying to suggested doing a trade once you've crossed the border.  Presumably 100% of trades will involve electronics.
OK, sure, electronics will be involved at some point. However, there's no requirement for you to have any electronics with you while crossing the border, or if you do want to bring your own hardware, it doesn't need to contain any software or data relating to Bitcoin. You can download the software and enter your private key or seed passphrase from memory after you reach your destination.
blockbet.net

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Admin at blockbet.net

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2013, 09:09:12 PM

I'm sure you have your reasons but I'm still curious as to why anyone would feel the need to transport more than 10k of cash at any time. As was said, you can transport more within the EU, as long as you declare it first, so why not declare it? Though I would like to know what happens after that, does the government place you on some watch-list as a potential arms trader?

I doubt that transporting bitcoins is a problem though. I would think that it's more like carrying a credit/debit card with a high limit rather than cash. Technically you don't "own" those bitcoins at all (no one does), you just have the right to use them and they can't expect you to lose your bitcoins before traveling.

Bitcoin Sports Betting online at www.blockbet.net, featuring NBA, NHL, UFC, football (soccer) and international competitions. Fast payouts directly to your wallet, great win odds, no need to register or deposit. Bet in just a few clicks now!
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 26, 2013, 12:31:03 AM

I'm sure you have your reasons but I'm still curious as to why anyone would feel the need to transport more than 10k of cash at any time.

Perhaps I'm making a purchase ... of soemthing that is entirely legal for me to do.

As was said, you can transport more within the EU, as long as you declare it first, so why not declare it?

Me carrying a lot of cash is something I don't wish to broadcast to the world.  The only person that needs to know is me up until the point that I meet with the seller.  By having to disclose to anyone else that I am carrying that much cash creates a security risk where one didn't exist previously (or at least not the same risk).

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

yucca

Activity: 217

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2013, 05:18:53 PM

If it was very important then I think it would be possible for anyone to memorise a private wallet key, use some rhyme or song to encode a minikey, then it would be very secure, it only existing in your mind.

blockbet.net

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Admin at blockbet.net

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2013, 06:37:46 PM

Perhaps I'm making a purchase ... of soemthing that is entirely legal for me to do.

Fair enough, I'm not trying to say it's wrong or anything. I'd just be very worried about carrying that much cash with me, and if I was making a purchase, I'd prefer to withdraw the cash at the target destination. But I guess there might be cases when that might be inconvenient. Bitcoin is great when the wallet can at least be encrypted, if only there were easier ways to exchange it for cash quickly.

You make a good point about declaring the cash. Especially when there are plenty of countries where safety might be a concern (inluding when dealing with the officials).

Bitcoin Sports Betting online at www.blockbet.net, featuring NBA, NHL, UFC, football (soccer) and international competitions. Fast payouts directly to your wallet, great win odds, no need to register or deposit. Bet in just a few clicks now!
johnniewalker
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 01:07:54 AM

You can always send it out by mail..

That's actually seems good, I'll look it up if it has some regulations.

Don't do mail over borders.. it will get "lost"
That's what insurance is for
EnergyVampire

Activity: 210

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 02:30:53 PM

Hi,

I've been reading upon crossing the borders with money lately.
I'm trying to inform myself about the laws and regulations about the transport of money.

From what I've read, there is a maximum of €10,000  that you can transport over the borders WITHOUT registering it first.
(This is a regulations withing Europe)

I understand that in some way this is to prevent illicit activities etc, but it's hard to believe (for me) that you can't transport your own fucking money without telling the government.

Does anyone have more input on this subject (laws, regulations?)

~Flowz

In the USA, you can register with the U.S. Department of State and move just about any amount of cash you want (or feel safe doing so). Your passport will get flagged as a legitimate cash transporter AFAIK and a few other Government Agengies will keep a very close eye on you but if you are legitimate this shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe it's the same process in Europe?

BigFigurez

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 06:11:58 PM

Just deposit it into a bank, cross the border, and withdraw it from another bank. $3 or $4 in fee's is worth the hassle you'll end up going through.
whitenight639

Activity: 154

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 04:27:14 AM

I'm not sure about 10k limit I think if you rolled through any airport with even half that they would say it was 'suspicious' and seize it quoting some AML shit if you can't prove where its from and what its for. And if you try and conseal it it will look even more suspicious and you could get a million years in jail for conspiring to money launder if you havnt a good defence. screw that why wouldn't you just put your bitcoin wallet on an encrypted flash drive.

125uWc197UW5kM659m4uwEakxoNHzMKzwz
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: