Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:56:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL offers 1000 BTC back up on power claims  (Read 10263 times)
Zeek_W

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 01:13:07 PM

I have to say, this is terrible.

Not only did Inaba turn a hit at Tom on power figures, now he is turning around and making it seem like it was his bet to Tom. (instead of the otherwa around)...It was the other way around.

To top it off....hes now opened a thread and is now making it seem as if Charities will "win out" of this skirmish of words and bitcoin bets....people are all riled up over which charity is more deserving....

You guys are being played with like toys....

I don't know about you, but I am personally offended at this tactic. I understand Psychological games...but this game is one gone way too far. I'd ask for Mod intervention but I don't know if they would even bother with this mess.

All the more to stay away from BFL. 

+1

+2

+3

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
michaelmclees

Activity: 633
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 03:36:22 PM

So I guess he's not interested in my bet.   Cry
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 03:41:12 PM

66 watts DC, or 66 watts AC?

I asked that on the BFL forums,it will be from the wall=120 volt  Wink

That depends on where you live.  For me- from the wall = 240 V

OOO,higher voltage=less wattage Shocked  

BFL may get less than 60 watts yet..........over in europe  Cheesy

I know it'll almost be the same in reality.

W=A*V

In Europe the wattage will be the same.

Last I checked in Spain we got 220V, not 240. Not that it makes a big difference though.
abeaulieu

Activity: 295

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 03:53:44 PM

66 watts DC, or 66 watts AC?

I asked that on the BFL forums,it will be from the wall=120 volt  Wink

That depends on where you live.  For me- from the wall = 240 V

OOO,higher voltage=less wattage Shocked  

BFL may get less than 60 watts yet..........over in europe  Cheesy

I know it'll almost be the same in reality.

W=A*V

In Europe the wattage will be the same.

Last I checked in Spain we got 220V, not 240. Not that it makes a big difference though.

As long as the efficiency of the power supply brick doesn't change with voltage range, the power ("wattage") will be the same no matter the operating AC voltage. From what I've heard the cheap-ish power supplies that they use currently aren't incredibly efficient as it is, so that is actually working against them with this bet.
scrybe

Activity: 350

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 06:06:18 PM
Last edit: October 21, 2012, 06:17:13 PM by scrybe

That's great, Phinnaeus!  My only beef with EFF is their abandonment of Bitcoin, so I have to assess if that's enough to put them out of the running.  But if another worthy charity is put forth, I am certainly open to consider it.  

I hear this all the time, and i believe it's misleading. The EFF didn't abandon Bitcoin, they ensured that if there was a legal dispute around BitCoin that they would have standing as something other than a co-defendant. It's pretty cut and dried that they did the right thing for us in the long run by ensuring we can call on them if needed.

Once the law is clear, I don't think they will have any problem turning it back on. Until they they are returning funds to the community through the bitcoin faucet.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/06/eff-and-bitcoin

Also, while I think that all the charities mentioned look very deserving, wouldn't it be a good idea donate that 1000BTC to a BitCoin related organization like the BitCoin Foundation? or DevCoin Bounties? Something to help propel the community forward by reinvestment.

"...as simple as possible, but no simpler" -AE
BTC/TRC/FRC: 1ScrybeSNcjqgpPeYNgvdxANArqoC6i5u Ripple:rf9gutfmGB8CH39W2PCeRbLWMKRauYyVfx LTC:LadmiD6tXq7gFZvMibhFUZegUHKXgbu1Gb
Inaba (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2012, 06:45:14 PM

Ok, I can buy into that they don't want to be a co-defendant and that's all well and good.  But the link you posted, which is the one I base my opinion off of reads very differently.  For example:

1.   We don't fully understand the complex legal issues involved with creating a new currency system.
This is their job.  They are suppose to figure out the complex legal issues for these sorts of things.

But as I said, I can buy into it for future purposes.  But they way they've worded all their stances on Bitcoin has turned a number of other organizations off to Bitcoin.  I think EFF has handled the whole situation poorly and made no effort to correct it.  Is that enough to withhold donations?  I'm not sure how I feel about that yet.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
poon-TANG

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 07:12:23 PM

I fail to see how either Tom Cablepair or Inaba can really believe that all this school playground behaviour is any good for either of their organizations.

Has anyone noticed how reputable businesses could easily play this ridiculous game of PR one-up-man-ship, and yet by and large don't do it? Because it makes them look bad? Even when they do engage in this sort of thing, they at least have the sense to dress it up in a bogus intellectual property lawsuit.

You two appear like a pair of WWE wrestlers in a pre-match taunting session (to me, anyway)

Nvidia does it all the time.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 08:33:04 PM

I fail to see how either Tom Cablepair or Inaba can really believe that all this school playground behaviour is any good for either of their organizations.

Has anyone noticed how reputable businesses could easily play this ridiculous game of PR one-up-man-ship, and yet by and large don't do it? Because it makes them look bad? Even when they do engage in this sort of thing, they at least have the sense to dress it up in a bogus intellectual property lawsuit.

You two appear like a pair of WWE wrestlers in a pre-match taunting session (to me, anyway)
And they're not the only ones. Have you even SEEN a presidential debate in the US recently?

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 09:24:54 PM

And they're not the only ones. Have you even SEEN a presidential debate in the US recently?

Yes, I feel the intense embarrassment that the candidates should be feeling whenever I witness these farcical debates. How people can't recognise such blatant fakery in front of their own two eyes just amazes me.

Vires in numeris
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 09:29:35 AM

By the way, did BFL management ever approve the 1000BTC bet?

That is like 12,000 dollars. Do they [BFL management] have the luxury of throwing around that kind of money on a silly bet? Or was this an employee decision?
Keefe

Activity: 681

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 10:40:10 AM

They've collected millions of dollars in pre-orders. They can afford to throw around $12k on something that will encourage more sales. Smiley

Mobius

Activity: 988

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 10:53:00 AM

That is like 12,000 dollars. Do they [BFL management] have the luxury of throwing around that kind of money on a silly bet? Or was this an employee decision?
It's only 12 pre-orders
squid

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 01:31:04 PM

I have to say, this is terrible.

Not only did Inaba turn a hit at Tom on power figures, now he is turning around and making it seem like it was his bet to Tom. (instead of the otherwa around)...It was the other way around.

To top it off....hes now opened a thread and is now making it seem as if Charities will "win out" of this skirmish of words and bitcoin bets....people are all riled up over which charity is more deserving....

You guys are being played with like toys....

I don't know about you, but I am personally offended at this tactic. I understand Psychological games...but this game is one gone way too far. I'd ask for Mod intervention but I don't know if they would even bother with this mess.

All the more to stay away from BFL. 

+1

+2

+3
+4
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 01:33:25 PM

I believe that cablepair was proffering his own personal funds to cover his stake. Inaba never get as far as confirming whether or not he would be using his money or BFL (customer's) money, although he implied that the company would be putting up the stake in his "BFL offers 1000 BTC back up on power claims" thread.

It's not good form for people that are soliciting pre-order money for a product that hasn't even finished the design work, let alone produced any, to then start gambling with large sums of money, in a public arena, as a way of convincing customers that their product is superior and/or the company's product claims to be more trustworthy. It has convinced me of neither of those things, it just looks reckless and ill-considered, and not very encouraging to anyone wondering which of these people to trust (and trust in their ability to deliver is vastly the most valuable thing that these companies have to offer at this stage of the ASIC market)

Vires in numeris
tigereye

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 22, 2012, 08:10:33 PM

I would nominate Gmaxwell as escrow assuming he is agreeable to it.  Yes, I propose the looser pays the 1000 BTC to charity.
hah so YOU were the one who wrote the two BFL email newsletters Wink

Tighten up your English! Kiss

If my posts have helped, consider leaving a tip! 1AE5e56ivvaGMJJmLrZoLgiZXPx93CddyA
abeaulieu

Activity: 295

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 01:54:11 AM

It's only 12 pre-orders

Well it's hardly a bet if the party already has the answer/outcome before placing the bet...
VeeMiner

Activity: 752

bitcoin hodler

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 11:11:36 AM

let's see how this ends up...
michaelmclees

Activity: 633

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 12:59:09 PM

Well it's hardly a bet if the party already has the answer/outcome before placing the bet...

I disagree.  Those are the best kinds of bets.

If Inaba really knows the answers and is willing to put money into escrow to prove it, it would send a very clear signal to the market.  The signal, conceivably, could mislead the market (he's sacrificing 1000BTC to make 5000BTC in more preorders), but that just raises another potential bet.  Bets are useful.  Take a look at Intrade.
kakobrekla

Activity: 714

Psi laju, karavani prolaze.

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 10:07:48 PM

Ok, so, now what?

ThickAsThieves

Activity: 518

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 10:09:53 PM

I know a good charity in need of a new pet shelter, can I nominate them? (Not joking, currently working on helping them accept BTC as donations)
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: