Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:35:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL offers 1000 BTC back up on power claims  (Read 10263 times)
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 10:10:08 PM

Ok, so, now what?

Better call Luke-jr.

I'm sure he received 1000 BTC for charitable purposes (more pills).

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HUSTLER

Activity: 185
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 11:30:14 PM

Give some to world food program.

http://www.wfp.org/

██  ██████████████          1 x B i t . c o m     |     BIG 5     |          ██████████████  ██
►  5 LEAGUES      ►  5 BITCOIN
██                       75 WINNERS DRAWN MONTHLY                       ██
surebet

Activity: 495
Merit: 507

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 12:16:56 AM

Cue Josh being all Josh about this bet...
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 12:20:25 AM

ASBIRO (Alternative School of Business and Personal Development) - http://www.asbiro.pl/afryka/

They are building a private pre-school in Zambia now which will be named after Ludwig von Mises, and they will be also teaching kids about business and economics in the Austrian school spirit.

When it is finished they will build a school, and after that a higher education institution.

Signature space available for rent.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 07:05:47 PM
Last edit: May 01, 2013, 04:19:19 PM by MPOE-PR

ASBIRO (Alternative School of Business and Personal Development) - http://www.asbiro.pl/afryka/

They are building a private pre-school in Zambia now which will be named after Ludwig von Mises, and they will be also teaching kids about business and economics in the Austrian school spirit.

When it is finished they will build a school, and after that a higher education institution.

You know this is actually a good one. They get my vote for the imaginary 1000 BTC BFL will scam them for by never delivering in the first place. You know, just like they did to the general BTC community.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
yxt
Legendary

Activity: 3528
Merit: 1116

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 12:02:54 AM

Donation is in the last stage of payment....

BTCKano Pool██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██
██
██
██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2013, 06:23:29 PM

Given the OP of this thread and the following, I guess this is Josh's bet and not BFL's:

Re: 1GH/s, 20w, $500 — Butterflylabs, is it a scam?
November 08, 2011, 01:30:52 PM                                                    #299

Hi guys,

Just a quick note. 

BF Labs Inc. will not be involving itself in any wagers.  If our generous friend would follow through on their promise of a $10,000 bounty for producing a unit with performance as described, we'll be happy to claim that amount in the name of a charity of the board's choice.  However, no such bounty has been placed in escrow and I don't think anyone truly expects our generous friend to follow through.

Regarding your individual wagers, I would be careful to allow for some upside flexibility in the performance claims.  It would be unfortunate if you were to loose a wager should the unit exceed expectations, due to a badly worded bet definition.   

I'm not saying the units perform differently than our purchase guarantee as stated on the site.  Just choose your words carefully.

Kind regards,
BFL
BitshireHashaway

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2013, 07:08:59 PM

Close to $100,000, I'll be watching to see how this plays out if it ever happens. I find this betting to be childish but if the charities get paid then I'm fine with it!
surebet

Activity: 495
Merit: 507

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 08:50:39 PM

Unless I slipped in the shower this morning we're in 2013. Right?

Given the OP of this thread and the following, I guess this is Josh's bet and not BFL's:

November 08, 2011, 01:30:52 PM                                                    #299

Hi guys,

Just a quick note. 

BF Labs Inc. will not be involving itself in any wagers.  If our generous friend would follow through on their promise of a $10,000 bounty for producing a unit with performance as described, we'll be happy to claim that amount in the name of a charity of the board's choice.  However, no such bounty has been placed in escrow and I don't think anyone truly expects our generous friend to follow through.

Regarding your individual wagers, I would be careful to allow for some upside flexibility in the performance claims.  It would be unfortunate if you were to loose a wager should the unit exceed expectations, due to a badly worded bet definition.   

I'm not saying the units perform differently than our purchase guarantee as stated on the site.  Just choose your words carefully.

Kind regards,
BFL
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2013, 09:13:56 PM

Unless I slipped in the shower this morning we're in 2013. Right?

Hi guys,

Just a quick note. 

Kind regards,
BFL

You are correct, hence pointing out the highlighted text.
supercoins

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 03:12:12 AM

Bitcoins for a good cause
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 06:33:06 AM

Hi guys,

Just a quick note. 

Kind regards,
BFL

That sounds like some other bet. The 1000 BTC is the bet on their official forums.

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/content/123-bfl-offers-1000-btc-charity-if-they-miss-their-power-targets.html

We are so confident in our power consumption that we are offering up 1000 BTC to charity if we miss our power consumption targets by more than 10%.

Buy & Hold
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4494
Merit: 1806

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 06:43:50 AM

Yes it was more than a year ago - the FPGA Single ...

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2013, 06:49:14 AM

The reference was about bets in general. BFL doesn't make bets.
Bitinvestor

Activity: 470
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 06:59:46 AM

Can't you read?

We are so confident in our power consumption that we are offering up 1000 BTC to charity if we miss our power consumption targets by more than 10%. We are offering our devices at 1 watt consumed per gigahash. If our power targets end up consuming more than 1.1w of power per gigahash, we will donate 1000 BTC to charity! How is that for confidence in our power usage?

With the recent focus on power consumption, we want to reiterate that we stand behind our customers and our products. We have designed our mining equipment to be the smallest, fastest, most aesthetically pleasing and most power efficient mining device available on the planet. We guarantee that in the form of 1000 BTC! When you buy a BFL product, you know you're getting the absolute best mining device available, period.

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/content/123-bfl-offers-1000-btc-charity-if-they-miss-their-power-targets.html

BFL should get the scammer tag if they don't pay up.

Those who cause problems for others also cause problems for themselves.
kano
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 07:01:25 AM

Can't you read?

We are so confident in our power consumption that we are offering up 1000 BTC to charity if we miss our power consumption targets by more than 10%. We are offering our devices at 1 watt consumed per gigahash. If our power targets end up consuming more than 1.1w of power per gigahash, we will donate 1000 BTC to charity! How is that for confidence in our power usage?

With the recent focus on power consumption, we want to reiterate that we stand behind our customers and our products. We have designed our mining equipment to be the smallest, fastest, most aesthetically pleasing and most power efficient mining device available on the planet. We guarantee that in the form of 1000 BTC! When you buy a BFL product, you know you're getting the absolute best mining device available, period.

I was referring to the posts above mine - meh I thought it was obvious I guess not for some Tongue

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 11:20:45 AM

Since Tom is refusing to actually make the bet he himself proposed between us, I am offering up a guarantee of 1000 BTC to charity (I will take suggestions on which charity to donate this to) if BFL does not meet it's power claims within 10% - meaning if BFL's power consumption is more than 66w for a Single SC, we lose the "bet."

Now, I ask if Tom is willing to step up and back the winning side.  He is 100% confident that we will not meet our power claims (which is the genesis of the failed bet), and as such I ask that he pony up 1000 BTC to the same charity if we do make our power claims. 

So there it is:  Tom is confident that we won't make our power claims, I am confident that we will.  I am willing to put up 1000 BTC to show my confidence in BFL products.  Is Tom confident enough to do the same or is he just blowing hot air?

Hey dipshit,

Now that you ass-hats have failed to deliver on your power specs and speeds, perhaps it is time to pay up the 1000 BTC to a charity and then prove you actually paid them? Oh wait...you have more important things to do like troll BTCtalk and cuss at your customers.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 11:21:10 AM

Can't you read?

+1 they should get a scammer tag already.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Bitinvestor

Activity: 470
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 03:02:48 PM

I was referring to the posts above mine - meh I thought it was obvious I guess not for some Tongue

Okay, sorry, my bad.

There isn't any wiggle room in that quote. They missed their estimates by a mile and now they should pay up.

Those who cause problems for others also cause problems for themselves.
kano
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 09:17:07 PM

Okay, sorry, my bad.

There isn't any wiggle room in that quote. They missed their estimates by a mile and now they should pay up.
Yep.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: