Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:40:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »
  Print  
Author Topic: The $1 Million Dollar Bitcoin  (Read 25591 times)
Enjorlas (OP)

Activity: 788
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 09:50:25 AM

For 1 Bitcoin to be worth $1,000,000, the total market cap of Bitcoin would have to be $21 trillion dollars. What are the odds of this happening?

For reference, the amount of physical $dollars and coins in circulation are around $1.2 trillion. The global M2 money supply of all currencies are around $45 trillion. The market cap of all mined gold is around $7 trillion.

Will 1 Bitcoin be worth a million dollars? Half a million? Thoughts?
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Joel_Jantsen
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1308

Get your game girl

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 09:54:40 AM

Could really justify this using the mathematical notation for probability and assumptions .Matter of fact it takes too much time to come up with the next to accurate number .I will give an answer if i can form a equation out of your topic and solve it. Cheesy
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 10:15:33 AM

It's not going to happen, not even $10,000 in plenty of years. We might be lucky if we'll see the price go to $2000 as max ATH, which isn't that unreasonable after we manage to get more investor money on board. But at this point it's a million miles away  Wink
coinpr0n

Activity: 910

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 10:24:27 AM

No way that's happening. Even half a million is out of the question. The whole global financial structure would have to be running on Bitcoin for those kind of prices. Even parity with gold seems to me impossible.

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 10:48:34 AM

it could happen maybe, in the very unlikely scenario that all major fiat currency will collapse and everyone is forcing to adopt bitcoin in some way

only the massive usage of bitcoin, on a planetary scale can lead to an impressive value like that
Orangina

Activity: 309
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 10:50:28 AM

For 1 Bitcoin to be worth $1,000,000, the total market cap of Bitcoin would have to be $21 trillion dollars. What are the odds of this happening?

For reference, the amount of physical $dollars and coins in circulation are around $1.2 trillion. The global M2 money supply of all currencies are around $45 trillion. The market cap of all mined gold is around $7 trillion.

It's not going to happen , that's for sure , I mean even if it does it won't happen until many years and when that happens 1 million $ won't worth the same as now , let us reach 10k $ at least then we can talk .
Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 11:01:39 AM

Yes it could happen, if it becomes huge and used worldwide in trading and financial businesses. Even experts are acknowledging this scenario, but giving it just 0.02% chances of happening. Well even 0.02% is better than 0 chances! Smiley

http://www.coindesk.com/wedbush-report-projects-400-bitcoin-price-by-2016/
MJK

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 11:12:00 AM

Could it be worth 1 million? Yes. Would it? Almost certainly not. We would need bitcoin to be accepted everywhere worldwide if not being many nations defacto currency. I think the best we could hope for is it being worth several thousands.
Zawamiya

Activity: 526
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 11:32:57 AM

Bitcoin will never worth $1M, atleast not in our whole life but we may see the price of $1000 within next few years that is good price IMO
BlackPanda
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 11:55:05 AM

I guess this will never happen sir. $ 1,000,000 is the price too high and unreasonable for a digital currency.
Orangina

Activity: 309
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 12:02:56 PM

Yes it could happen, if it becomes huge and used worldwide in trading and financial businesses. Even experts are acknowledging this scenario, but giving it just 0.02% chances of happening. Well even 0.02% is better than 0 chances! Smiley

was just reading the article you posted and I have to say it's not that good if you ask me , I was hoping it will reach more then that by the halving block reward ... 400$ is literally nothing if we compare it to the other years (2013-2014)
Guido
Legendary

Activity: 1061
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 12:08:21 PM

no never, ever
unless a loaf of bread reaches $200 each maybe

realistically I can't see ever over very low xx,xxx and that's max

I am Bonkers BTW
Crypto OG
        +
Digital Artist
yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 12:13:28 PM

Bitcoin will never worth $1M, atleast not in our whole life but we may see the price of $1000 within next few years that is good price IMO

Personally I'm quite sure that Bitcoin will reach USD 1 million within the next 10-30 years or even sooner. Given the current monetary policy the USD will inflate at a much accelerated rate in the future. So you will have a $1m Bitcoin, but that will not be comparable to today's purchasing power.

My estimate is that Bitcoin will reach a value somewhere between $10k and 100k at today's purchasing power within my lifetime.

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 12:15:53 PM

i think a realistic price for bitcoin is $5000 at most. dreaming about a million dollar per bitcoin is simply not realistic. some people don't seem to understand that.
n2004al
Legendary

Activity: 1134

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 12:25:43 PM
Last edit: October 21, 2015, 12:31:02 PM by n2004al

I don't think so. Even I hope (and theoretically this hope is almost sure) that bitcoin arrive a very high price I don't think that this price will be so high. Have no reason to go so high. I love but it is only a digital coin or in other words an ensemble of zero and ones. I think that there it will be a strong concurrence to it from other currencies produced by only country which probably will be adopted as a national currency or to support their national currency. Every country will protect and stimulate its digital currency. The most big and important countries of the world like Russia and USA are thinking since now about this option. They will try maybe to eliminate forever bitcoin or at least to decrease its importance in the world. Bitcoin have not protection except the volunteers which produce, use and spread it. It is not possible that those volunteers have the power of the above countries and maybe other which will unite with those in the future. If the bitcoin will be banned from every country will be no future for it. This option it is something that must be counted.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 12:49:17 PM

If it stayed alive long enough and the dollar still existed then it's borderline inevitable that there'll be a million dollar coin one day. At today's buying power? It would've had to have conquered the world.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 01:04:40 PM

was just reading the article you posted and I have to say it's not that good if you ask me , I was hoping it will reach more then that by the halving block reward ... 400$ is literally nothing if we compare it to the other years (2013-2014)

Yes, I agree that they completely underestimated Bitcoin short-term. $400 until the end of the next year with the upcoming halving, etc, it's a joke.

I posted an article more about prediction that there is a 0.02% chance that 1 bitcoin can reach $1 million one day, which is a topic of the thread by the way.
fish731

Activity: 66

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 01:09:31 PM
Last edit: October 11, 2015, 01:57:59 PM by fish731

If it stayed alive long enough and the dollar still existed then it's borderline inevitable that there'll be a million dollar coin one day. At today's buying power? It would've had to have conquered the world.

In a thousand years there might be a one million dollar note if inflation keeps going up. At that point I'd guarantee there will be at the least a one million dollar bitcoin, if bitcoin still exists by then. In a thousand years all bitcoins will have been mined, and only the network fees will support the miners, so the miners won't be able to dump the price down. Think about prices of everyday goods from 30 or 40 years ago, and what you pay for those same goods now. In a thousand years those goods will have astronomical prices by today's standards.
Gutemberg

Activity: 83

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 01:53:33 PM

a lot of people will dump long before the 1 million bitcoin

actmyname
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 2504

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2015, 02:22:13 PM

Yes, I agree that they completely underestimated Bitcoin short-term. $400 until the end of the next year with the upcoming halving, etc, it's a joke.

I posted an article more about prediction that there is a 0.02% chance that 1 bitcoin can reach $1 million one day, which is a topic of the thread by the way.
A 0.02% chance is still something to hope for. Maybe if it happens, we'll all be able to rake in the benefits of coming into Bitcoin "early"

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »
  Print  

Jump to: