Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 10:51:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it worth it  (Read 978 times)
Ajvanho (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 12:20:32 PM

I got interested not because of the money, but because it sounds cool.
But I can currently only use my GPU and CPU to mine. I know it aint worth to mine with them but will it damage them a lot?
I am a game developer and I wouldn't like to see this GPU die anytime soon. (I am planning to buy a new one anyway but I don't want this one to die so I still have it)
So will it damage them a lot?

BTW, it is an AMD setup and I know AMD rocks in Coin Mining but being the best must have something negative.
Bifta

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 03:32:32 PM

I got interested not because of the money, but because it sounds cool.
But I can currently only use my GPU and CPU to mine. I know it aint worth to mine with them but will it damage them a lot?
I am a game developer and I wouldn't like to see this GPU die anytime soon. (I am planning to buy a new one anyway but I don't want this one to die so I still have it)
So will it damage them a lot?

BTW, it is an AMD setup and I know AMD rocks in Coin Mining but being the best must have something negative.
It will make your electricity bill go up and it will probably destroy the CPU and GPU. Mining will run them at near full power and this can completely wreck the chips.
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4144
Merit: 1638

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2015, 07:47:17 PM

GPU mining died years ago so no, unless you're asking about altcoins. If you want to ask about those, ask in the appropriate section of the forum.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
sloopy

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.msg

View Profile
October 11, 2015, 09:19:30 PM

If you are interested in mining then I recommend you pick up a usb stick which teaches you the best regarding asic mining which is the only way to mine bitcoin now. The only reason there would be to try and use your GPU or CPU would be to learn those specific modes, and you can have some fun in that vein. I believe you learn those same things and more, especially pertaining to the way mining devices work today, if you use a small asic device.

Personally, I use and recommend the Official GekkoScience Compac BM1384 Stickminer
You may find their thread here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1126705.0

You will see many bright individuals are involved in the overall project. You will find like minded individuals who do this out of curiosity, and more who do this for the passion incited by the marriage of economic change to a technological advance which involves hands on electrical and software based challenges.

I highly recommend against purchasing a product from any other manufacturer at this time unless it is used equipment from a vetted community member. I will also warn you against any form of cloud mining. There are and have been more scams and an alphabet of government investigations against many cloud mining operations. No matter how much someone tells you X company is safe and you see several things showing you will make a handsome profit do not believe it. I have performed my own investigations in current offerings and there is little but more of the same, or in the slight chance it is not a traditional scam or ponzi, you are still being used for your money as a loan without receiving compensation to make it anywhere close to being worth the risk. Your money is better spent in holding coin. Again, please take heed, there are not any current mining manufacturers offering a solid product except GekkoScience.

If you wish to ask any questions or discuss this further feel free to PM me, I am happy to help.

Transaction fees go to the pools and the pools decide to pay them to the miners. Anything else, including off-chain solutions are stealing and not the way Bitcoin was intended to function.
Make the block size set by the pool. Pool = miners and they get the choice.
Ajvanho (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 12, 2015, 08:52:41 PM

Thank you all who replied.

And I know GPU and CPU mining died, I just did it for fun xD
I was interested will it destroy the parts, got my answer, so thank you.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
October 13, 2015, 11:18:21 PM

Don't take any recommendation at face value;

If properly cooled then not dangerous at all, if you need a cheap way to do it though, get a Sidehack USB stick. With the GPU and CPU you won't even meet dust minimum threshold and you'll be wasting electricity generating heat for nothing.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 12:29:39 PM

gpu are not even profitable on the altsection(maybe some random alt here and there) because that section is almost dead since many months ago

better to direct them at gaming and use scrypt asic or sha256 asic, or maybe the new XX asic(for x11-13 etc...), there is no point in mining with everything else
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: