Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 08:23:36 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: titan bitcoin  (Read 17700 times)
TitanBTC

Activity: 366
Merit: 258

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2015, 03:22:34 AM

Our coins have a few different page "states" which may show up when you go to verify its value on our website.  "Not-yet-funded", "Funded" and "Redeemed".  The funded page state is different for 2FA coins vs. Private key coins, as well.  

When the coins are shipped, that "Not-yet-funded" page state will be visible until the user verifies that they have received the shipment.  With 2FA coins, the user enters in a confirmation number from their packing slip and the email address and password they want to register the coin to.  When they've clicked a confirmation link that arrives in their email, that page state changes to show that the coin is funded.  With private key coins, the buyer emails us to confirm safe delivery and we change that state in the DB manually.

At that point, the coins will show as "Funded" until a redemption request has been made.

Coins may show as "not yet funded" in a few scenarios.

1.  A reseller on ebay is trying to dodge eBay rules against selling bitcoins.  As such, they are waiting to do the initial coin registration until they have resold the coin.  It is being advertised EXPLICITLY as unfunded so that eBay does not kill the auction.  A buyer would really need to trust the seller if they were to purchase this type of coin because of option 2...

2. A coin may have been "lost" in transit.  This has happened many times where a buyer claims that the package didn't arrive.  We don't dispute those claims.  We just send out a replacement shipment.  Every coin is unique, so the replacement has a unique coin ID from the one that was originally sent out.  If a buyer continues to claim that they aren't receiving their orders after multiple attempts (even if we have delivery confirmation from USPS) we simply refund their purchase and apologize.

3. I made a mistake when updating the Database field that dictate the page states.

Option #2 means that there coins out there that are intact but unfunded, and will never be funded because they were marked as "lost".  We do keep records of these coins, and there's about 2 dozen of them.

Todamont's coin was not one of these "lost" coins.  That would be easy for us to claim, but that's not the case here.  His coin was registered in 2013 and redeemed in 2014.  The page state for the coin in question should say "redeemed" and it does not.  This was likely scenario #3.  A mistake on my part in updating the flag that determines the page state, as the DB update was done by me manually.  Instead of correcting the "error", we've left it as is until we've been able to complete the vulnerability analysis on our servers.

I'm happy to explain further but it probably makes sense to answer specific questions at this point.

I don't remember who I bought it from and I would not implicate them in the chain of ownership if I did. There may have been any number of owners between the original owner and myself, and it's not fair to throw any number of people under suspicion of theft or fraud over this unfunded/redeemed coin issue.

This unfunded coin sale on ebay is very, very unusual. Specifically the "certificate of authenticity" stating:

"At the time of sale, this coin was certified to be uniquely associated with an address which bears the amount and type of the cryptological currency stated on the coin's obverse."

Signed by Tim Fillmore

ebay.com/itm/TITAN-ONE-BIT-COIN-UNFUNDED-HOLOGRAM-RARE-COLECTOR-COIN-NOT-CASACIUS-LEALANA-BTC-/111849058989?hash=item1a0ab932ad:g:l7QAAOSwrklVYzfE

This really, really looks like some of the coins that Tim certified as funded were, in fact, not funded.

Todamont

Activity: 604
Merit: 273

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 03:26:10 AM

Tim you are now claiming that you have altered your database manually to support your side of the story.

I'm going to have to say, you are now changing your story. I feel like this indicates error on your side and I feel that you should make good on this coin now.

[edit] I see that actually, what you meant is that you forgot to edit the database manually to support your side of the story. lol. Why won't you just put this to bed and split the loss with me?
Todamont

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 03:38:24 AM

"When they've clicked a confirmation link that arrives in their email, that page state changes to show that the coin is funded."

Can you explain this to me further? At what point does the bitcoin actually get sent to the address? Not at the same time the database is updated to record that the coin has been funded?
Todamont

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 03:46:52 AM

Can you comment on what the "state" is for this coin, which you certified as funded, but appears "unfunded" on your site?

ebay.com/itm/TITAN-ONE-BIT-COIN-UNFUNDED-HOLOGRAM-RARE-COLECTOR-COIN-NOT-CASACIUS-LEALANA-BTC-/111849058989?hash=item1a0ab932ad:g:l7QAAOSwrklVYzfE

Is that coin unfunded, funded, or already redeemed? What percentage of the coins in your database appear as "unfunded"? How many are actually funded? How many are redeemed? Have coins in you database ever been manually changed from the funded or redeemed to the unfunded state? What is your security policy regarding these manual database updates and bitcoin-funding process?
Michail1
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2015, 03:47:06 AM

Tim you are now claiming that you have altered your database manually to support your side of the story.

I'm going to have to say, you are now changing your story. I feel like this indicates error on your side and I feel that you should make good on this coin now.

[edit] I see that actually, what you meant is that you forgot to edit the database manually to support your side of the story. lol. Why won't you just put this to bed and split the loss with me?

No, what he said is that he is supposed to update the DB manually when 'private key' coins are received.  With 2FA coins, it is automatic when the user clicks the confirmation link in the email.

Issue, you purchased a 2FA coin, not a private key coin as you thought.

When the user/theif requested the 2FA information to get the other half of the private key, Titan did not update the DB to show Redeemed.  He said it must have been his mistake, but did NOT feel like updating the DB because of the ongoing issue with you.  This shows me that he isn't trying to hide the issue as he could have done it at anytime during your 30+ email thread.

Todamont

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 03:54:42 AM

"We will certainly make him 110% whole if the problem lies somewhere in our system."

"I made a mistake when updating the Database"

Ok. So... Can I get my 1 btc or what?
Michail1
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2015, 03:55:04 AM

Can you comment on what the "state" is for this coin, which you certified as funded, but appears "unfunded" on your site?

He said it was redeemed.  I guess the address could be made public if you have it.  If the original email address person doesn't reply, then you know who your thief is.   Also, I believe Titan said they were trying to get in touch with that person.

He answered this as well, having said, sellers could buy from Titan, post to sell on ebay (legitimately as unfunded), and once sold/ship, then enter the confirmation code with Titan to then be funded.

Is that coin unfunded, funded, or already redeemed? What percentage of the coins in your database appear as "unfunded"? How many are actually funded? How many are redeemed?
He answer this too, having said it was redeemed.  He did say there are a couple dozen 'lost' coins and they keep records on those.   I would like to see a stats page myself.  Smiley

Todamont

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 03:57:33 AM

No he said the coin I have is redeemed, not the one on that page... That one is still apparently a "schroedinger coin". That's possible with Titan btc physical coins, I guess.
Michail1
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2015, 04:00:31 AM

"We will certainly make him 110% whole if the problem lies somewhere in our system."
"I made a mistake when updating the Database"
The mistake never had shown the coin as funded.  So, it's not (at this point) a mistake which cost you any BTC.  The mistake seems that you purchased a coin from a theif without having checked if the coin was valid or not.   Had it said 'FUNDED' and you purchased it, then I would expect you to have been paid.

Ok. So... Can I get my 1 btc or what?
I think not (currently), based on the above.

TitanBTC

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2015, 04:02:33 AM

I'm not above admitting I've made a mistake, and paying for it accordingly, but this issue is one concerning the security of Titan Bitcoins.  

It matters to every Titan Bitcoin owner that I, and anyone working for me, follow a strict process and protocol in dealing with these coins.  

As I've said to Todamont, and as I've said to every owner of a Titan Bitcoin, I will reimburse 110% of any value lost because of a problem with our system.  

I currently don't believe that a fault in our system caused Todamont's loss, but we're still continuing to investigate the claim.  To "split the loss" or "pay you off" would implicate that Titan bears some guilt in this case, or that we're trying to cover something up.  

We've yet to determine that Titan bears the fault in this issue, but rest assured that we take every customer service issue very seriously, regardless of whether a coin was purchased directly from us or not.  Bringing this issue to the public forum doesn't change the process we use to ensure that value on our coins remains secure.  

If the loss was indeed the result of a theft and, outside of our system (which seems to be the most likely scenario at this point), I'll gladly support Todamont in their efforts filing a police report.  That's not a part of our terms of use agreement, that's just ME hating to see people taken advantage of and wanting to help.

Michail1
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2015, 04:03:38 AM

No he said the coin I have is redeemed, not the one on that page... That one is still apparently a "schroedinger coin". That's possible with Titan btc physical coins, I guess.

Wait, are you moving the subject to a coin on ebay, or the coin you have.

Your coin is redeemed.
The one on ebay is possibly one of those that are in limbo.  Meaning, the person bought it from Titan, and is trying to sell it as unfunded before information Titan that he received it yet / or even claiming it was lost.  No way for Titan to know if the person is waiting or planing to say he didn't get it.

IE.  I write you a check.   You don't have to cash it, but it is a good check.  You could try to sell it (someone could check that the check is valid and if funds exist to cover the funds), then then simply tell me you lost the check.

Todamont

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 04:05:41 AM

Whether or not I get paid 1 btc for this sealed coin now seems to rely on a security investigation of a server that Tim says he manually updates, and has now admitted that he has made an error on regarding my specific coin. Over the last 4 weeks, his security investigation apparently failed to turn up the fact that this coin was marked "unfunded", which a casual observer discovered in 10 minutes.

Or him personally serving some sort of police investigation down on one of his users, or a whole group who may have ever had any contact with this coin.

See why I am upset now guys?
TitanBTC

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2015, 04:09:08 AM

The process differs for 2FA coins, vs. private key coins.  

For 2FA coins, we fund an address that is in cold storage when the coin is purchased.  That address is associated with the coin before we ship it.  Then when the buyer registers it, the information on that address becomes available to them.

For private key coins, we actually wait until the buyer confirms safe delivery before making the transaction on the blockchain.  Typically this blockchain transaction coincides with the DB update (within a few minutes of each other).

"When they've clicked a confirmation link that arrives in their email, that page state changes to show that the coin is funded."

Can you explain this to me further? At what point does the bitcoin actually get sent to the address? Not at the same time the database is updated to record that the coin has been funded?

TitanBTC

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2015, 04:11:34 AM

I apologize if I wasn't clear above.

Our investigation did not "fail to turn up the fact that this coin was marked "unfunded"".  I noticed that fact immediately and left it as is so as not to edit the DB alteration logs in case that was evidence of tampering.

Whether or not I get paid 1 btc for this sealed coin now seems to rely on a security investigation of a server that Tim says he manually updates, and has now admitted that he has made an error on regarding my specific coin. Over the last 4 weeks, his security investigation apparently failed to turn up the fact that this coin was marked "unfunded", which a casual observer discovered in 10 minutes.

Or him personally serving some sort of police investigation down on one of his users, or a whole group who may have ever had any contact with this coin.

TitanBTC

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2015, 04:14:14 AM

If you're upset that I would pursue thieves that victimized one of my customers, then i don't have a good response for you.

Criminals deserve punishment.  I don't personally think that should upset you, but that's just my opinion.

Todamont

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 04:15:24 AM

So you have admitted to making a mistake in your database regarding the coin I hold. New details come out in every post! Amazing!

Will you make me whole on this coin, or is your intention a criminal investigation of... someone, and to maintain your claim that I have been defrauded by a third-party?

Why do you sign certificates that state the coins are funded, at a different time than your database and/or website is changed to reflect that the coins are funded? Don't you see the sort of liability that could create for you, and for others!?
TitanBTC

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2015, 04:36:53 AM

I understand you're upset.  It's a frustrating situation. 

I've been completely transparent with you, and now everyone else on the forum, about this situation.  Insinuating that I have not been honest and transparent in every communication we've had is beneath you, quite frankly, and I will chalk that up to you being upset.

I've stated repeatedly that I will make you whole if a security flaw in our system caused you a loss.  I'm not sure what else you're wanting from me?

The certificate states when we sold a particular coin, it was funded.  That's correct.  It's not a liability because we don't sell unfunded coins...but maybe I'm not understanding your point.  Would you mind elaborating?

So you have admitted to making a mistake in your database regarding the coin I hold. New details come out in every post! Amazing!

Will you make me whole on this coin, or is your intention a criminal investigation of... someone, and to maintain your claim that I have been defrauded by a third-party?

Why do you sign certificates that state the coins are funded, at a different time than your database and/or website is changed to reflect that the coins are funded? Don't you see the sort of liability that could create for you, and for others!?

Todamont

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 04:41:19 AM

You have admitted to making a mistake in your database regarding the coin I hold. Now you want to wait for a security invesitgation of a database that you manually update, as conducted by you, by a security contractor you hired and doesn't share information with me. On a record in a database that you know to be in error.

But you still think this is a "tamper-proof sticker" tampering fraud, and you want me to wait, while you track down everyone who may have had physical contact with this coin, and implicate them as thieves?

That sounds like something a fraudster would say, Tim. I'm sorry to put it like that.

TitanBTC

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2015, 04:50:21 AM

Did the database mistake in question cause your loss?  

As of yet, you have not told me when or how you came into possession of the coin, so I can't say for sure whether that database field being marked as "not-yet-funded" affected you.  

If that coin showed as unfunded in our system when you purchased it, it was unwise to have purchased it in my opinion but that's beside the point.  

If that verification page showing "not-yet-funded" when the state should be showing "redeemed" is the cause of your loss, then please explain that fully so I can address your concern.

[edited] a typo of showed -> showing

You have admitted to making a mistake in your database regarding the coin I hold. Now you want to wait for a security invesitgation of a database that you manually update, as conducted by you, by a security contractor you hired and doesn't share information with me. On a record in a database that you know to be in error.

But you still think this is a "tamper-proof sticker" tampering fraud, and you want me to wait, while you track down everyone who may have had physical contact with this coin, and implicate them as thieves?

That sounds like something a fraudster would say, Tim. I'm sorry to put it like that.

Todamont

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 04:53:00 AM

> Did the database mistake in question cause your loss?

This now appears to be a central question. There is an obvious error in your database regarding this coin. Your website shows it as unfunded and you claim it has been funded. That's not an enviable place to be, as someone who sells physical bitcoins.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: