Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 02:07:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... 164 »
  Print  
Author Topic: What's stopping people from using bitcoin?  (Read 202106 times)
raaajlucky

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 03:35:40 AM

The main thing is the idea of another big scam like Mt Gox, or another big crash, also caused by Mt Gox. Everyone's scared that their assets will be worth nothing.

Mt Gox is a exchange scam but that nothing related to stop people using bitcoin. But that motivated people to use their own desktop wallets than online wallets
Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 03:41:55 AM

The main thing is the idea of another big scam like Mt Gox, or another big crash, also caused by Mt Gox. Everyone's scared that their assets will be worth nothing.
That second part of your sentence might be actually true. I heard that argument from people a lot, they don't believe that bitcoin will keep its price because there is no one who can guarantee that.
There is no organization or country to back that faith and bitcoin is not supported by anything significant in their opinion. What should I say to the people who talks like that?
Cortive

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 03:52:14 AM

They think the market will crash eventually, don't want to lose their money and other vulnerabilities.
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 03:57:52 AM

Bitcoin has no killer app yet. That stops people from using bitcoin everyday.
I personally don't use bitcoin every day, because i don't need to/its not easier/faster etc.
There are situations that Bitcoin is better, but they are not that common.
mayax
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 04:03:39 AM

Bitcoin is useless for daily needs. BTC is good if you want to buy weed and similar staff or to make speculations with its price.
Also, you can "invest" in HYIPs.

BTC is an e-currency like any other but more than that, it's hard to be used. It cannot compete with the debit cards which are fast and accepted everywhere.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 08:55:18 AM

I personally don't use bitcoin every day, because i don't need to/its not easier/faster etc.

this is a silly reason, bitcoin is the killer application itself, no need for fancy stuff to advertise it, it's money

people simple choose or not to use this new money, if not it's because they do not trust it, seeing how we are speaking about money, only trust matter here
kyrios_

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 10:15:23 AM

this is a silly reason, bitcoin is the killer application itself, no need for fancy stuff to advertise it, it's money

people simple choose or not to use this new money, if not it's because they do not trust it, seeing how we are speaking about money, only trust matter here

This kind of makes sense. I mean if bitcoin were to be popular, it has to offer something much more to general consumers, something easy to use and understand. To the general population, bitcoin is still rather complicated to understand. A killer application where combines ease of use together with trust, will make it more appealing to potential users. Purse.io is one of such applications bitcoin requires.
gkv9
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

!!! RiSe aBovE ThE StoRm !!!

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 04:03:29 PM

The best answer to OP's question according to me is: Government and Centralized Authorities...
They are just banning it and stopping people from using it, but who can actually stop them???
There are services like VPN and Tor networks where one can easily access such things...

Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 04:36:08 PM

Not sure about that.
Just having the opportunity to send Bitcoin around the globe, at anytime, for very low costs without the need of any third party is a huge step imo.Therefore Bitcoin is the killer app itself!!
But it's a process which takes a long time before many many people will see it.You can not force people to use something if they feel convenient with their actual payment options, although it costs them more due to fees.
Furthermore Bitcoin is right now that really user friendly. People who are not tech savvy have problems.But this will change with better UI's and stuff.
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 04:55:14 PM

Not sure about that.
Just having the opportunity to send Bitcoin around the globe, at anytime, for very low costs without the need of any third party is a huge step imo.Therefore Bitcoin is the killer app itself!!
But it's a process which takes a long time before many many people will see it.You can not force people to use something if they feel convenient with their actual payment options, although it costs them more due to fees.
Furthermore Bitcoin is right now that really user friendly. People who are not tech savvy have problems.But this will change with better UI's and stuff.

Well the thing is, even though Bitcoin may be the "killer app", it needs an application to make it look that way tot the rest of the populace. Most people wouldn't even be able to navigate through a wallet or make any sense about what they are actually seeing. This is why, in my opinion, most people do not have that much of an interest in using it.

Plus if I can easily use PayPal to pay for some goods and get them shipped to me in a relatively small time frame, I won't have a need for changing anything.
goinmerry
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1083

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 05:00:41 PM

Bitcoin is useless for daily needs. BTC is good if you want to buy weed and similar staff or to make speculations with its price.
Also, you can "invest" in HYIPs.

BTC is an e-currency like any other but more than that, it's hard to be used. It cannot compete with the debit cards which are fast and accepted everywhere.

Weed and  drugs? Oh yeah that is why it is so bad to the eyes of many people. That is what is stopping them. The bad start of bitcoin where people used it as a way to buy bad stuffs. There are other ways. Just look deeper.
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 05:33:22 PM

Bitcoin in itself is a big killer app, the problem is people still don't get it, but they will. Nonetheless the future will give us a ton of killer apps. This is a good video about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nOfHpOFhN8

There are a lot of other videos like this worth checking out.
anthonycamp

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 05:36:00 PM

you dont use full bitcoin for 100% of your economy cause you work into a governemet that pays fiat
USB-S

Activity: 574

In XEM we trust

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 05:51:48 PM

Bitcoin in itself is a big killer app, the problem is people still don't get it, but they will. Nonetheless the future will give us a ton of killer apps. This is a good video about it:

james d'angelo is a legend for making those, his perspective is indeed a good one. But I think so as well, that bitcoin itself is the killer app, a lot of people are still behind blockchain or some other underlying tech that bitcoin has. Or aren't really aware of bitcoin at all.

A lot of people can't get behind the concept of bitcoin just cause if they try to research it themselves, they'll most likely not get it and if someone were to explain it to them, they would probably end up in their "safe space" bubble just because the whole idea is a bit difficult to grasp.

````````````````████████
_`````````██████████████████████
_`````█████████████████████████████
_```█████████████████████████████████
_``████████████████████████████████████
_█████████```````████████```````████████
_███████````████````██`````███````███████
_██████````████████`````████████``███████
_██████````██████````██``██████```███████
_███████```````````████``````````████████
_██████████████████████████████████████
_``████████████████████████████████████
_```_████████████████████████████████
_``````████████████████████████████
_`````````3█████████████████████
play.infinity
        Eжeднeвный ДЖEКПOT
TELEGRAM CHAT   SITE   TELEGRAM
                   Get free eth
BigBoy89
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 07:28:10 PM

Seriously Bitcoin doesn't need an killer app because the concept of Bitcoin itself is not less than a killer but Bitcoin should create awareness among people about what it is and how it works because most of most have no idea what is BTC. First educate people and then see the progress

.AMEPAY.
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
│▌
       AMEPAY IEO       
▄██████▄ ▀██████▄
█████████  ▀█████
███████▀     ▀███
██████▀  ▄█▄  ▀██
██████▄  ▀█▀  ▄██
███████▄     ▄███
█████████  ▄█████
▀██████▀ ▄██████▀
   AMEPAY LISTING   
   ▐███▄
   ████▌
▐██████████▄
████████████
 ████▌  █████
▐████  ▄████
██████████▀
 ▀█████▀▀
▐│
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
AncilVTwo

Activity: 364

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 07:43:22 PM

the main thing stopping people is the fact that its so hard to buy bitcoins you have to get so many verifications done to purchase.
knowhow

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 11:40:43 PM

I had bought mine bitcoin from other member of this forum ,to buy bitcoin and show you are into the market is one thing,i have small ammounts and always purchase small ammounts soo for me no problem.Sure there is a wall into who wanna invest deeply but well risk is always connected,bitcoin on 400 dollars once again.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 08:49:36 AM

the main thing stopping people is the fact that its so hard to buy bitcoins you have to get so many verifications done to purchase.

not true, on kraken you don't need any verification, you just have a limit monthly and daily, that's it

the limit is also very generous $2k per day and 10k per month
Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036

/dev/null

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 08:53:48 AM

complexity and laziness. it is enough...

just ask your mother or your friend's girlfriend, if she knows what is p2p, private key or QR code...and if she even care. people don't what to learn anything extra over something, what works just fine for them like paypal, modern banks and their applications or wireless payments.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 09:06:12 AM

not true, on kraken you don't need any verification, you just have a limit monthly and daily, that's it

the limit is also very generous $2k per day and 10k per month

You still have to provide your full address, name and a phone number. But I guess you would give them a of this anyway when you give them your IBAN for SEPA transfer so yes, essentially the verification is quite low on Kraken.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... 164 »
  Print  

Jump to: