Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 04:44:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining on Rapberry PI  (Read 6185 times)
bestcoin_59 (OP)

Activity: 287
Merit: 15

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2015, 01:22:28 PM

If the rendering is correct in stick forum they will have a different heatsink.  So as far as usability should be the same.   But it looks different Smiley and i like to collect sets.

So no real justification on getting one besides I like collecting sets.
Ok, i understand better Wink

zOU

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

★ these are stars ★

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 04:31:32 PM

I use 3x Antminer U3 (60Ghs) and a BFL 30Ghs on a Raspberry Pi2 running minera.

I believe the U3 has a much better cost/production ration than the USB stick Smiley

And I live n France too :p

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 07:41:42 PM

I believe the U3 has a much better cost/production ration than the USB stick Smiley

They are cheaper then USB sticks on price per GH.  This is true.  I like the U3 it would be even better if I could get rid of zombie's.

But sticks like the compac are much more efficient, so you can run them with very little cost over a long period of time.
zOU

★ these are stars ★

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 07:48:59 PM

They are cheaper then USB sticks on price per GH.  This is true.  I like the U3 it would be even better if I could get rid of zombie's.

But sticks like the compac are much more efficient, so you can run them with very little cost over a long period of time.

But the reduced Ghs of the stick along with the increase in block difficulty means they'll never pay for themselves Smiley

The U3 is just a bit better as you can actually get enough BTC to use.

Zombies are a non issue if you restart them once a day, which is cheap and easy with a programmable power plug Smiley

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 07:54:05 PM

But the reduced Ghs of the stick along with the increase in block difficulty means they'll never pay for themselves Smiley

Zombies are a non issue if you restart them once a day, which is cheap and easy with a programmable power plug Smiley

You can run some ROI math but a U3 I don't see paying for itself.  It is like 1 watt per ghash I think somewhere around there.  So it does have a cost although if mining with one or two doubt you notice much of a increase in electricity.

But it is hard to ROI on small miners due to cost per GH.
zOU

★ these are stars ★

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 08:04:49 PM

Well, 3xU3 give me enough BTC so I can actually pay for something Smiley

I have a bunch of 333Mhs and they're still running for fun, because the fractions of BTC they make will never be useful.

The U3 will pay for themselves if not the electricity they use Smiley (i'll post a screenshot of their power usage tomorrow as I monitor them closely)

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 08:12:21 PM

Well, 3xU3 give me enough BTC so I can actually pay for something Smiley

I have a bunch of 333Mhs and they're still running for fun, because the fractions of BTC they make will never be useful.

The U3 will pay for themselves if not the electricity they use Smiley (i'll post a screenshot of their power usage tomorrow as I monitor them closely)

when I say stick miner I'm saying like the Compacs where you can get 16 GH with very little power used.   Not the 333 old asic miners.   

1 of these Compacs can be ran at speed of almost 50 of the 333 MHs old usb sticks.
zOU

★ these are stars ★

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 08:17:33 PM

I know but these are pretty difficult to get Smiley

And while you're not getting them you're not making any BTC (but you're not spending money on electricity either Smiley Smiley)

pepto

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 08:48:13 PM

Do what you have to do to get a sidehack stick. Better yet, get two, same shipping cost.
I'm set up with an old pi, two sticks, cgminer-gekko,  24GH, at a cost of 20 watts total.

At this level, ROI is not a consideration to me.
What matters is that miners have to mine, and these mine well.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 01:02:53 AM

At first I dismissed this.  But I tried one with just power .... and it worked.  If they all would be power that is a interesting fix.   

I am going to just unplug power for next day or two and see my results.  If truly works I will consider you a genius.
zOU

★ these are stars ★

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 06:38:25 AM

Ahah Smiley

I power off my 3xu3 for 15mn at 00:00am and 00:00pm.

I lose 30mn/day but barely have any zombie anymore (except when I run them on the raspberry and Minera, but i'm working on that)

bestcoin_59 (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2015, 07:46:04 AM

Hello,

Thanks for your posts. So to sum up: if one doesn't take into consideration electricity, the U3 has a better ratio: Hash rates/price of the set. Would it be reasonable to think that 1 U3 = 4 compacts ? However, i looks as if the power consumption of 4 compacts is inferior to one U3. Am i right?

I didn't get any answer from Sidehack yet, but here is the answer of Asicpuppy (the other us store selling the compact):

"Yes, I’ve got a good amount in stock. I have raspberry pi model B’s and cubie controllers pre set up for mining with the compac. Software-wise, the Compac is supported by bfgminer and custom builds of cgminer."

Btw, if somenone could explain me in a few words what a "zombie" is  Grin Grin Grin

Cheers,

Jeff.

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 07:53:00 AM

Hello,

Thanks for your posts. So to sum up: if one doesn't take into consideration electricity, the U3 has a better ratio: Hash rates/price of the set. Would it be reasonable to think that 1 U3 = 4 compacts ? However, i looks as if the power consumption of 4 compacts is inferior to one U3. Am i right?

I didn't get any answer from Sidehack yet, but here is the answer of Asicpuppy (the other us store selling the compact):

"Yes, I’ve got a good amount in stock. I have raspberry pi model B’s and cubie controllers pre set up for mining with the compac. Software-wise, the Compac is supported by bfgminer and custom builds of cgminer."

Btw, if somenone could explain me in a few words what a "zombie" is  Grin Grin Grin

Cheers,

Jeff.

A zombie is a creature that is half human and part dead.   Ok.... zombie is a pain with the U3's  The U3 if it has trouble with USB it either starts a new interface (you will notice a different number in ID) or it goes zombie.  Zombie means you need to un-plug and re-plug it in.  It's a pain but doable I have 3 I play with and when I see zombie I unhook/rehook them.

The compac is MUCH better on power consumption.  You can get 8-16  gig pretty easy with a Y usb cable and decent usb hub.  With it no zombie so you can set it and it keeps running.  I use a RPI and it's a great combination.  I use RPI with the compac-cgminer it is really good software that works.

I honestly enjoy playing with both but I'm addicted to mining.  As far as Asicpuppy yes the owner is great guy.  He is CrazyGuy.  He actually made a firmware for his customers on R1 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1197152.msg12734703#msg12734703 top notch guy.

Sidehack is the maker of the compac.  Also good guy.
zOU

★ these are stars ★

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 08:27:07 AM

100W/63GHs for the U3 approx.

Rigwarz states 1W/GHs

Currently my 3xU3 + BFL 30GHs are using 312W

QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 09:04:32 AM

The Gekkoscience Compac is more efficient than any other miner currently being sold to the public except for the S7 - and on the lowest undervolt settings the Compac can argue with an S7 on efficiency.

U3 isn't even close - it's a generation older chip and doesn't undervolt nearly as much - the BM1384 in the Compac at it's HIGH voltage settings is more efficient.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
bestcoin_59 (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2015, 10:32:19 AM

Hi everyone Wink

Thanks a lot for these useful informations. I think i'll go for the GekkoScience Compacs. Looks as if this device is great. Still have to decide where to buy it. It looks as if nobody beats Sidehack prices. That beeing said AsicPuppy shipping costs are lower and the item is in stock (although Sidehack should restock it soon).

Regarding, the powered USB HUB, which models would you suggest? I know that the HUB have to be chosen carefully with the Raspberry, so i prefer asking.

Thanks again Wink

Jeff.

bestcoin_59 (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2015, 10:35:23 AM

A zombie is a creature that is half human and part dead.  
Grin Grin Grin Like in Michael Jackson video clips Thriller  Grin Grin Grin

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 11:03:37 AM

A zombie is a creature that is half human and part dead.  
Grin Grin Grin Like in Michael Jackson video clips Thriller  Grin Grin Grin

I could not help myself... have been watching a little walking dead so I think of them as I type zombie Smiley

Hi everyone Wink

Thanks a lot for these useful informations. I think i'll go for the GekkoScience Compacs. Looks as if this device is great. Still have to decide where to buy it. It looks as if nobody beats Sidehack prices. That beeing said AsicPuppy shipping costs are lower and the item is in stock (although Sidehack should restock it soon).

Regarding, the powered USB HUB, which models would you suggest? I know that the HUB have to be chosen carefully with the Raspberry, so i prefer asking.

Thanks again Wink

Jeff.

The RPI can be a pain on hubs. This explains the problem's and some that are tried - http://elinux.org/RPi_Powered_USB_Hubs

So basically go 2.0 and look at power.  I good example of power is here - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=253749.0  Someone might post a good one.  Mine I just had laying around in my parts.
bestcoin_59 (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2015, 02:20:39 PM

Hello everyone,

some news:

1) Just placed an order at asicpuppy for 1 GekkoScience Compac (if everything goes as expected, i'll probably buy more Grin)
Just wondering is there any discount code valid at the moment for this shop? I made a google search but the only one i found
didn't work Huh

2) Regarding the Hub, i think i'll go for this one:
http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B0000B0DL7?

I hope the plastic won't melt Grin Grin

Cheers,

Jeff.

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 04:15:11 PM

Hello everyone,

some news:

1) Just placed an order at asicpuppy for 1 GekkoScience Compac (if everything goes as expected, i'll probably buy more Grin)
Just wondering is there any discount code valid at the moment for this shop? I made a google search but the only one i found
didn't work Huh

2) Regarding the Hub, i think i'll go for this one:
http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B0000B0DL7?

I hope the plastic won't melt Grin Grin

Cheers,

Jeff.

No there is not a current discount code that I know of currently.  He is not making a ton off of sale already on Compac's.  So with being in stock he's actually pretty dang fair since few have stock selling until bath 2.

On hub it was in a different language I did not translate.  Main thing to look at is power it provides to each port or overall.  You want a good amount of power.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: