Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 01:17:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: rumors of 3.5Th antminer S7 "lite"  (Read 8641 times)
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 10:53:47 AM

I may fire the baby up again for swap'ing electric for btc

Just buy the BTC, it's faster.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 11:11:47 AM

There is something about being a miner.  Some including myself truly love it.  Its a great hobby for those of us who go over the "home" mining amount.

Also it's pretty profitable for some.  At 230 I was running profitable..... so at 465.69 (100 percent up) I'm doing very very good at mining. 
dog1965

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 04:35:48 PM
Last edit: November 04, 2015, 05:37:31 PM by dog1965

There is something about being a miner.  Some including myself truly love it.  Its a great hobby for those of us who go over the "home" mining amount.

Also it's pretty profitable for some.  At 230 I was running profitable..... so at 465.69 (100 percent up) I'm doing very very good at mining.  

I love it as well especially when my electric is free as STATED IN MY RENT AGREEMENT. I just cant wait to they ship my S7.  Grin Grin Grin Grin
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 05:55:35 PM

There is something about being a miner.  Some including myself truly love it.  Its a great hobby for those of us who go over the "home" mining amount.

Also it's pretty profitable for some.  At 230 I was running profitable..... so at 465.69 (100 percent up) I'm doing very very good at mining.  

I love it as well especially when my electric is free as STATED IN MY RENT AGREEMENT. I just cant wait to they ship my S7.  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Nice understatement here, got close to 500$ on Coinbase and I was already running S4 efficiency probability at 220$. The best part of it is the difficulty is not keeping up currently.
With the returns on my old miners, picking up S7 lites sound pretty good right now, when S5 and even S3 are being grabbed at crazy prices thats more expensive by the GH/s than a S7 from Bitmain.

Not surprised Batch 5 is already sold out.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
dog1965

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 06:26:03 PM

Nice understatement here, got close to 500$ on Coinbase and I was already running S4 efficiency probability at 220$. The best part of it is the difficulty is not keeping up currently.
With the returns on my old miners, picking up S7 lites sound pretty good right now, when S5 and even S3 are being grabbed at crazy prices thats more expensive by the GH/s than a S7 from Bitmain.

Not surprised Batch 5 is already sold out.

I should do good I am going to team my S7 up when it comes with my S5. should have 4.86 TH/s + 1.23 TH/s = 6.09 TH/s and with free electric stated in my rent agreement wew !  Grin
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 06:56:07 PM

I should do good I am going to team my S7 up when it comes with my S5. should have 4.86 TH/s + 1.23 TH/s = 6.09 TH/s and with free electric stated in my rent agreement wew !  Grin

I would read it and make sure there is not a clause that prevents spikes.  Those two are 2300ish watt's so $5.68 per day in electricity so in 30 day's around 170 + all the electricity you normally use (assuming 10 cents this could be wrong).

Assuming you use heat for winter I'm guessing that plus over 2k in mining gear will get a call from landlord.  But I could be wrong.
dog1965

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 10:09:13 PM

I would read it and make sure there is not a clause that prevents spikes.  Those two are 2300ish watt's so $5.68 per day in electricity so in 30 day's around 170 + all the electricity you normally use (assuming 10 cents this could be wrong).

Assuming you use heat for winter I'm guessing that plus over 2k in mining gear will get a call from landlord.  But I could be wrong.

nope not at all the agreement stated no charge for excessive usage. I am running to S3's + one S5 with a trip lite 3000 watt SMARTPRO UPS and my gaming PC and it is using 1960 watt at the wall and never got a call and wont.

plus two refrigerators and 3 A.C units at 1500 watts each. the only problem I get is in the summer when wife turns on microwave or the toaster the main breaker kicks out that's why I bought the 3000 watt UPS.  Grin

A.C units in summer lol.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 10:13:30 PM

nope not at all the agreement stated no charge for excessive usage. I am running to S3's + one S5 with a trip lite 3000 watt SMARTPRO UPS and my gaming PC and it is using 1960 watt at the wall and never got a call and wont.

plus two refrigerators and 3 A.C units at 1500 watts each. the only problem I get is in the summer when wife turns on microwave or the toaster the main breaker kicks out that's why I bought the 3000 watt UPS.  Grin

A.C units in summer lol.

Good idea on the UPS, wondering if i should get on one my co-used breakers for example there are some breakers i'm not mining on because i need to have access to them for cooking or cleaning etc. But its not like you use them most of the 24 hours in a day.

I'm guessing i just need a UPS that will feed the spikes and just drain max 1440watts at any time.

Also during the winter, if you have cold winter where you live, the heat generated by the miner is just going to cut the heating bill. Assuming you heat with electricity.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 10:59:32 PM

UPS on a miner is a waste of money, if you have reliable power.

Electric being effectively "free" during the winter doesn't require you to have electric heat - miner heat generation cuts gas bills for heating quite well too.
 There is a limit though, if you have enough miner heat output to exceed how much heating you actually NEED.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 11:55:24 PM

Electric being effectively "free" during the winter doesn't require you to have electric heat - miner heat generation cuts gas bills for heating quite well too.
 There is a limit though, if you have enough miner heat output to exceed how much heating you actually NEED.

They are saying they are tripping breakers, and UPS stops it from it.  I think it sounds like your putting to much load through your wires if you have to use things like this not to trip the breaker.

You really should just stop mining if your using the other device that trips it.  I don't like to play around with electricity.
dog1965

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 01:06:15 AM
Last edit: November 05, 2015, 01:16:42 AM by dog1965

They are saying they are tripping breakers, and UPS stops it from it.  I think it sounds like your putting to much load through your wires if you have to use things like this not to trip the breaker.

You really should just stop mining if your using the other device that trips it.  I don't like to play around with electricity.

no everything is fine in the winter all my UPS does "Never mind filtering" is kicks in when the main breaker kicks out so I don't have to restart my miners I got 20 minutes on battery power never tested it beyond that. anyway this only happens in the summer when there are three 1500 watt air conditioners in the summer and then my wife decides to turn on the 1500 watt microwave with everything else running. in the winter the main or sub breaker never tripped out once.

if she wants to use the toaster or microwave I just shut off one of the A>C units only in the summer. Believe me I have power meters installed in my breaker box by an electrician Everything is well monitored I don't like fires my life is more important than anything . I am a safety nut. I even have a FLUKE IR thermometer to measure heat om the plus and power cords.

and no a battery backup ups is not a waste of money it does the best job of protecting your miners from brownouts also you can monitor your line voltage on your laptop or pc.

Also has remote management I can shut down or reboot my PC or turn on and off any miner even REBOOT the PSU from anywhere or completely power off everything and don't have to be home.  Grin Grin Grin

Got it on EBAY for $199.00 with no battery's which you need for it to work, Then Paid another $80.00 bucks for the battery's even got free shipping on both it is A TON with the batterys lol lol lol. works well as you can see.

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 09:57:21 AM

Mr. Lees info was right on leak:

https://bitmaintech.com/productDetail.htm?pid=00020151105082702881F8f0B9I405FF

Price:       4 BTC
               ( 1481.32 USD )

1. Hash Rate: 4.05 TH/s

2. Power Consumption: 1042 W + 10% (at the wall, with APW3, 93% efficiency, 25C ambient temp)

3. Power Efficiency: 0.25 J/GH + 10% (at the wall, with APW3, 93% efficiency, 25°C ambient temp)
RichBC

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 10:03:55 AM

Price:       4 BTC
               ( 1481.32 USD )

2. Power Consumption: 1042 W + 10% (at the wall, with APW3, 93% efficiency, 25C ambient temp)

3. Power Efficiency: 0.25 J/GH + 10% (at the wall, with APW3, 93% efficiency, 25°C ambient temp)

Yes I guess this is what we have been waiting for, although not quite what was expected.  Smiley

Looks like it's still 3 Boards but with a reduced chip count / Board. I think they have made a mistake and it will not be 145 Chips but 144.

Which means that each board reduces from 18 Tripple Nodes to 16 Tripple Nodes. Also the voltage range is now a more sensible 11.6V to 13.0V rather than the very tight must not be less than 12V.

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 10:12:56 AM

( 1481.32 USD )

Yes I guess this is what we have been waiting for, although not quite what was expected.  Smiley

Looks like it's still 3 Boards but with a reduced chip count / Board. I think they have made a mistake and it will not be 145 Chips but 144.

Which means that each board reduces from 18 Tripple Nodes to 16 Tripple Nodes. Also the voltage range is now a more sensible 11.6V to 13.0V rather than the very tight must not be less than 12V.

Rich

Im not to impressed to be honest.  I was hoping to see 2 blade version.  To go down in speed... and keep 3 hashing boards just is a pain.

I dont think its the "lite" I was hoping they did.  With this I would have rather them it the same on higher speed.
RichBC

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 10:23:27 AM

Im not to impressed to be honest.  I was hoping to see 2 blade version.  To go down in speed... and keep 3 hashing boards just is a pain.

I dont think its the "lite" I was hoping they did.  With this I would have rather them it the same on higher speed.

This is not at all what we had guessed. It's not a Lite Version at all. I would call it a Design Correction. We have seen from the very tight voltage spec on the original S7 followed by batches at reduced hash rates that they were having manufacturing problems. This is a more permanent fix that with a 12V supply increases the Core Voltage from 0.66V to 0.75V and should allow reliable running at 600MHz and also I would think some overclocking.

What is uncertain at this point is if they are able to select BM1385 Chips and continue with the 4.86TH Design or if we will see all production move to the 4.05TH Batch 6 style?

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 09:18:39 PM

This is not at all what we had guessed. It's not a Lite Version at all. I would call it a Design Correction. We have seen from the very tight voltage spec on the original S7 followed by batches at reduced hash rates that they were having manufacturing problems. This is a more permanent fix that with a 12V supply increases the Core Voltage from 0.66V to 0.75V and should allow reliable running at 600MHz and also I would think some overclocking.

What is uncertain at this point is if they are able to select BM1385 Chips and continue with the 4.86TH Design or if we will see all production move to the 4.05TH Batch 6 style?

Rich

We'll have to wait and see, but i am also not impressed, a design correction does not sound bad and a 4THs per unit also does not sound bad, but i would of wanted to see a consequential 20% price drop with the 20% hashrate drop.

Instead the unit is as expensive as ever, or more. I know BTC is doing very well right now and people are going hysterical and buying all they can get their hands on, but damn. Batch 4 and 5 were properly priced...

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
carlosmnk

Activity: 572
Merit: 506

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 04:35:06 AM

( 1481.32 USD )

Rich

It seem it contains 135 chips, instead 145 (it can be a mistake), so, 45 chip / hashboard...

Played with: USB RedFury - BlackArrows Prospero X1/X3 - Butterfly Monarch- Spondoolies SP20E - Avalon 6 - Antminer U3/S3/S3+/C1/S5/S7 Batches 3-7-8 - Sfards SF100 - Innosilicon A2 Terminator - Alcheminer 96/256 - KNC Titan - Etherum Rigs
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 06:35:01 AM

( 1481.32 USD )

Rich

It seem it contains 135 chips, instead 145 (it can be a mistake), so, 45 chip / hashboard...

I'm guessing it has to do with quality control.  How they kept having to split into to batches one faster one slower.   I'm guessing they tested this out and can hit target speed instead of 2 speeds.

Price is also locked at 4 BTC so you can't really get a deal by watching btc price and it.
RichBC

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 08:26:20 AM
Last edit: November 06, 2015, 01:01:52 PM by RichBC

OK it's Morning in the UK so I am going to have another go at wrapping my head round what's going on with this Not So Lite S7? Excuse me while I think and Type, this may or may not lead anywhere?  Smiley

So here's the guts of the post from carlosmnk in the other thread that suggests 135 chips.

This contains an error, they put 45 chips per hasboard, total 135 chips, not 145:

batch 1, 3 and 5: 4860 / 162 = 30 (total hashpower / number of chips = hashpower per chip)
batch 6: 4050 / 30 = 135 (total hashpower / hashpower per chip = number of chips)

So, they went from 54 chips per hashboard to 45 chips per hashboard.

If you just look at the maths, the case for 135 chips is spot on, with the Hash per chip dividing down from 4.86TH with 162 Chips to 30GH and the multiplying neatly back up with 135 Chips to 4.050TH.

So what's the problem? Well the resultant Core Voltage on the Chips is the problem....

If we go back to the 4.86TH system, then 162 Chips are divided onto 3 Boards giving 54 Chips per board giving a Chain of 18 Nodes with 3 Chips / Node. Apply 12V to the 18 Chip string and we get 0.667V which is bang in the middle of the Core Voltage range shon in the BM1385 Data Sheet.

Now if we look at a 135 Chip System, then that has to be 3 Boards which gives 45 Chips per board and the only way that can be divided up is with a Chain of 15 Nodes with 3 Chips / Node. Apply 12V to this string and we get 0.8V which is  off the chart.

It's actually right up at the Max Recommended Core Voltage, but not over the Absolute Max so perhaps it's OK?

That is until you look at the new PSU spec which is "Rated Voltage: 11.60 ~ 13.00V"  Now if we apply 13V to the 15 Nodes we get 0.867V so yes still under the absolute Max but over the recommended.

]

The other "problem" is the W/GH efficiency. At the original 0.66V we have 0.219W/GH add say 14% to that for the PSU & other inefficiencies and you get to the rated 0.25J/GH
However take a guess at the W/GH for a 0.8V Core, say 0.3W/GH and even without adding the 14% you can see we are way off???

So what's going on ? Well assuming this is a 135 Chip system with 15 Chip tripples per string my only thought is that the Data Sheet must be wrong and in practice the Core voltages needed are more like those for the BM1384 used in the S5 which coincidentally has a 15 chip string?

So no firm conclusion, overall 144 Chips works out best if the BM1385 Data Sheet is correct, however 135 chips fit's the maths best, but in that case the Data Sheet has to be wrong. Makes you wonder if there is a third solution waiting to be found?

Let's hope that someone will take the case off and post a photograph?  Smiley

Rich

UPDATE. The Bitmain Website has been corrected and now shows 135 Chips. So that part of the mystery is solved. What is not solved is the Chip Core Voltage and reconciling that and the J/GH with the BM1385 Data Sheet?

carlosmnk

Activity: 572
Merit: 506

View Profile
November 06, 2015, 11:42:27 PM

No more math with this, bitmain has correct the data:

S7 Specifications:

4. Rated Voltage: 11.60 ~ 13.00V

5. Chip quantity per unit: 135x BM1385

6. Dimensions: 301mm(L)*123mm(W)*155mm(H)

7. Cooling: 2x 12038 fan

8. Operating Temperature: 0 °C to 40 °C

9. Network Connection: Ethernet

10. Default Frequency: 600M

Played with: USB RedFury - BlackArrows Prospero X1/X3 - Butterfly Monarch- Spondoolies SP20E - Avalon 6 - Antminer U3/S3/S3+/C1/S5/S7 Batches 3-7-8 - Sfards SF100 - Innosilicon A2 Terminator - Alcheminer 96/256 - KNC Titan - Etherum Rigs
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: