KAT has always made a ton of money and I don’t think he is going to accept less than a max to sign somewhere. This likely means he will be looking for another team after the season ends. Seems like he might be getting up there in age, but I’m sure he’ll be able to find a home and a max contract somewhere.
I've said yesterday, that he don't deserve the max contract, and I will stand on that one HOWEVER,
I believe though that he could still be worth more than $200M, and there's one reason why. HIS SKILLSET.
He has the skillset that you can't find in any big out there. He can stretch the floor and shoot threes, he can pass which is very rare for a big man nowadays, and his impact on the Knicks is just too high to ignore. We can't deny the fact that he had some bad nights especially in the NBA Finals where he scored 0 points in 4th quarter in some games,
but we can't also deny the fact that he develop passing ability that helped them win 13 consecutive playoff games last season.
I want to emphasize his passing abilities because it's very rare to see a big passing ball. The only one that comes to my mind is Jokic, and I know that KAT isn't as good as Jokic, but the point is, it's hard to find a big right now who can shoot threes and pass the ball at the same time. There's an article that says that he's willing to accept a pay cut to stay with the team, but he will not get that $200M contract which for me right now, is understandable.
For me, he's worth than $200M, but not worth the max contract. It's just bad for the Knicks though that they don't want to spend too much just to increase their chances of winning back-to-back.