Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 03:13:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: my intuition says: we're sitting on a rocket about to be ignited  (Read 36817 times)
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 06:46:40 PM

BTC will only take off once there is a killer use for it. Either mobile payments or electronic payment on the Internet. Before that, it will remain somewhat of a curiosity.

There several already: drugs, and asset protection (tax evading included). More than enough to back our funny money and then some.

I am instead worried by the attention of the "authorities" (witnessed by the ECB paper): if they are able to cap the world price of gold and silver for decades, just figure what they could pull out to kill BTC.

I suspect that even the weird Nefario's sudden paranoia may be related to it ("they" are probably beaming some mind control ray straight into his skull 24/7 from the black copters).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2012, 07:09:42 PM

a rocket about to be ignited
the only way is down or side ways for 2/3 months, dear OP deal with it

My same tought.
Eventually, the price will rise anyway.

my guess is you will see a 10,000 coin dump hardly move the price and you'll still be in denial

short squeeze, coming right up!  Grin

molecular (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 08:09:36 PM

BTC will only take off once there is a killer use for it. Either mobile payments or electronic payment on the Internet. Before that, it will remain somewhat of a curiosity.

There several already: drugs, and asset protection (tax evading included). More than enough to back our funny money and then some.

I am instead worried by the attention of the "authorities" (witnessed by the ECB paper): if they are able to cap the world price of gold and silver for decades, just figure what they could pull out to kill BTC.

I suspect that even the weird Nefario's sudden paranoia may be related to it ("they" are probably beaming some mind control ray straight into his skull 24/7 from the black copters).

It's not like they will securitize (is that the right word for putting a paper layer on something?) bitcoin and sucessfully suppress the price by naked-shorting the crap out of that bitcoin paper. In addition to that: there would be no "gold price" if gold was used as money throughout. Demonetizing gold and silver is a lot easier than demonetizing bitcoin, because bitcoin has lower transaction cost and risk than paper. It worked well with the metals because people preferred paper receipts because they are easier to carry around and more divisible (read: transaction cost is lower). It's interesting in this regard to read something about "imposing minimum reserve requirements on virtual currency schemes" in the ECB paper. Sorry, went off on a tangent here.

I agree these are powerful people bitcoin is up against and I also agree they will try to hit bitcoin hard at some point (not within the timeframe I suggested in OP, 1-3 months) - probably in many different ways. I said specifically "hit bitcoin" and not "hit us", because they can threaten all the Nefarios they want, there will still be the dread pirate roberts.

The most effective weapon they could use would kill themselves, too, btw: rollout of a sound money standard Wink

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
molecular (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 08:13:53 PM

a rocket about to be ignited
the only way is down or side ways for 2/3 months, dear OP deal with it

oh, don't worry 'bout me. I have to deal with my intuition being wrong all the time. I specifically hedge against that.

whoops? where 'd the fat dude go?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2012, 08:20:23 PM

With the halving only 6 weeks or so away, I quite surprise the price hasn't started to go up.
Guess no-one cares.

More like T-3weeks!

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
molecular (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 08:23:38 PM

With the halving only 6 weeks or so away, I quite surprise the price hasn't started to go up.
Guess no-one cares.

More like T-3weeks!

yep, we're half way through the current difficulty adjustment period. Only one more to go after that.

http://bitcoinclock.com/

steamboat

Activity: 648
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 08:23:44 PM

I'd like Bitcoin to stay right where it is until we've had a few more years ramp-up in regards to infrastructure. If "they" can control world financial markets, what makes you think they would bat an eye at spending billions to save the profit centers making them trillions? As soon as the banks realize Bitcoin is a threat, the jig is up. If we don't have a massive network already in place with measures to protect it, we're boned.

ASIC miners available for purchase

Those who serve best, profit most.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2012, 08:38:14 PM

I'd like Bitcoin to stay right where it is until we've had a few more years ramp-up in regards to infrastructure. If "they" can control world financial markets, what makes you think they would bat an eye at spending billions to save the profit centers making them trillions? As soon as the banks realize Bitcoin is a threat, the jig is up. If we don't have a massive network already in place with measures to protect it, we're boned.

what about W.O.W. gold?
shouldn't they worry about that threat too?

lol bitcoin is FAR from being a threat...  

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 09:12:20 PM

This assumes that Bitcoin is actually a threat to banks and the banking industry. There are enough Microsoft Windows users out there with computers infected with all sorts of malware to keep the banks very profitable should Bitcoin become mainstream. These users will deposit their Bitcoins with the banks for the same reason people in the 18th century deposited their gold with the Rothschilds: Fear of theft. In many ways the impact that Bitcoin will have on banking is to turn back the clock say 100 or 200 years and may ironically end up saving many banks and bankers.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
molecular (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 09:34:18 PM

what about W.O.W. gold?
shouldn't they worry about that threat too?

lol bitcoin is FAR from being a threat...  

ECB paper:

W.O.W gold: type 1
linden $: type 2
bitcoin: type 3

type 3 == problem

as steamboat says: we're only getting stronger with time. Maybe there's a point of no return.

myself
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

chaos is fun...…damental :)

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 11:28:32 PM

so the weekly macd say down

SS also say side ways or down

rsi say up or side ways

adx already say the past trend is dead

because OP did hold 300 000 bitcoins and he say UP UP have no connection  Wink
http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/netzpolitik/hacker-waehrung-bitcoin-geld-aus-der-steckdose-a-765382.html

Los desesperados publican que lo inventó el rey que rabió, porque todo son en el rabias y mas rabias, disgustos y mas disgustos, pezares y mas pezares; si el que compra algunas partidas vé que baxan, rabia de haver comprado; si suben, rabia de que no compró mas; si compra, suben, vende, gana y buelan aun á mas alto precio del que ha vendido; rabia de que vendió por menor precio: si no compra ni vende y ván subiendo, rabia de que haviendo tenido impulsos de comprar, no llegó á lograr los impulsos; si van baxando, rabia de que, haviendo tenido amagos de vender, no se resolvió á gozar los amagos; si le dan algun consejo y acierta, rabia de que no se lo dieron antes; si yerra, rabia de que se lo dieron; con que todo son inquietudes, todo arrepentimientos, tododelirios, luchando siempre lo insufrible con lo feliz, lo indomito con lo tranquilo y lo rabioso con lo deleytable.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2012, 11:35:56 PM

Cheesy

But Adam says we are going up.
And Adam says we are going up.
rsi say up or side ways

Yuhfhrh

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 11:46:49 PM

Cheesy

And Adam says we are going down.
rsi say up or side ways
But Adam says we are going down.

FTFY lol  Grin
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2012, 11:49:36 PM

Oh I see, that is becoming more complicated than I thought  Shocked
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2012, 11:51:00 PM

would a few weeks of trading toward 11.50 change any of these indicators?
I   THINK   SO!  Grin

Yuhfhrh

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 11:53:43 PM

would a few weeks of trading toward 11.50 change any of these indicators?
I   THINK   SO!  Grin

He has spoken. BUY.  Cheesy
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 12:59:42 AM

One 'killer use' might be Greek and Argentinian citizens smuggling money out of the country after a currency devaluation.  This requires them to buy bitcoins before the collapse however, which no one really knows the date of.  Value of bitcoin goes up.  Greeks buying ASICs and mining doesn't help the value of bitcoin, as they would look to sell ASAP to pay for the hardware purchases.

A negative side effect of this however would be Europe and possibly its allies (USA, etc) putting pressure on bitcoin exchanges to not take 'illegal' funds from nations where currency controls are present.  MtGox et al are near useless without integration into the global banking system (how else does one transfer money to MtGox?).  Does MtGox being in Japan make it more immune to outside influence?  No, as the USA just needs to remind Japan who it is that provides security guarantees for the nation.

nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2012, 01:13:49 AM

One 'killer use' might be Greek and Argentinian citizens smuggling money out of the country after a currency devaluation.  This requires them to buy bitcoins before the collapse however, which no one really knows the date of.  Value of bitcoin goes up.  Greeks buying ASICs and mining doesn't help the value of bitcoin, as they would look to sell ASAP to pay for the hardware purchases.

A negative side effect of this however would be Europe and possibly its allies (USA, etc) putting pressure on bitcoin exchanges to not take 'illegal' funds from nations where currency controls are present.  MtGox et al are near useless without integration into the global banking system (how else does one transfer money to MtGox?).  Does MtGox being in Japan make it more immune to outside influence?  No, as the USA just needs to remind Japan who it is that provides security guarantees for the nation.

+1 Good post.

I've been wondering about this. Clearly the exchanges are Bitcoin's Achilles heel, and the points states could attack/overregulate if they so wished - the exchanges doing their darndest to be AML/KYC compliant is exceedingly sensible. However, are there countries such as, say, St Kitts & Nevis, Costa Rica, etc. where such services could be established relatively free of hassle, along the lines of online gaming?

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2012, 01:15:49 AM

One 'killer use' might be Greek and Argentinian citizens smuggling money out of the country after a currency devaluation.  This requires them to buy bitcoins ...

You are clearly delusional.

But keep up the good work!  Roll Eyes
ninjarobot

Activity: 761
Merit: 500

Mine Silent, Mine Deep

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 01:20:24 AM

Agreed. Services that protect your privacy are another great match for bitcoin.

In fact, yesterday I was shopping for a VPN service and settled on https://torguard.net/ - I was pleasantly surprised to see them offering Bit-Pay as an option. First time I ran into a site accepting bitcoin in the wild (without looking for it specifically). It is moments like that when you realize that bitcoin is here to stay.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: