Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 04:48:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 U.S. States Legalize Adult Consumption of Cannabis  (Read 6412 times)
BitcoinINV (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 05:08:40 PM

From norml.org

Voters in Colorado and Washington on Election Day in favor of ballot measures that remove criminal and civil penalties for the adult possession of cannabis. The votes mark the first time ever that voters have decided at the ballot box to abolish cannabis prohibition.

In Colorado, 55 percent of voters decided in favor of Amendment 64, which allows for the legal possession of up to one ounce of marijuana and/or the cultivation of up to six cannabis plants by those persons age 21 and over. Longer-term, the measure seeks to establish regulations governing the commercial production and distribution of marijuana by licensed retailers. Initial returns show the measure passing with 54 percent support.

In Washington, approximately 55 percent of voters decided in favor of I-502, which regulates the production and sale of limited amounts of marijuana for adults. The measure also removes criminal penalties specific to the adult possession of up to one ounce of cannabis for personal use. Initial returns indicate that 55 percent of voters backed the measure.

State lawmakers in Colorado initially prohibited the possession of cannabis in 1917. Washington lawmakers initially outlawed the plant in 1923.

Commenting on the historic votes, NORML Deputy Director Paul Armentano said: “Amendment 64 and Initiative 502 provide adult cannabis consumers with unprecedented legal protections. Until now, no state law has defined cannabis as a legal commodity. Some state laws do provide for a legal exception that allows for certain qualified patients to possess specific amounts of cannabis as needed. But, until today, no state in modern history has classified cannabis itself as a legal product that may be lawfully possessed and consumed by adults.”

Armentano continued: “The passage of these measures strikes significant blow to federal cannabis prohibition. Like alcohol prohibition before it, marijuana prohibition is a failed federal policy that delegates the burden of enforcement to the state and local police. Alcohol prohibition fell when a sufficient number of states enacted legislation repealing the state’s alcohol prohibition laws. With state police and prosecutors no longer engaging in the federal government’s bidding to enforce an unpopular law, the federal government had little choice but to abandon the policy altogether. Today, history begins to repeat itself.”

Separate marijuana law reform measures proved to be equally popular among voters. In Massachusetts, 63 percent of voters approved Question 3, which eliminates statewide criminal and civil penalties related to the possession and use of up to a 60-day supply of cannabis by qualified patients. It also requires the state to create and regulate up to 35 facilities to produce and dispense cannabis to approved patients. Massachusetts is the 18th state since 1996 to authorize the physician-recommended use of cannabis.

In Michigan, an estimated 65 percent of Detroit voters approved Measure M, which removes criminal penalties pertaining to the possession on private property of up to one ounce of marijuana by adults over age 21.

A statewide ballot measure to legalize the therapeutic use of cannabis in Arkansas appears to have narrowly failed by a vote of 49 percent to 51 percent. In Montana, a referendum that sought to ease legislative restrictions on the state’s medical marijuana law also failed. Oregon’s Measure 80, which sought to allow for the state-licensed production and retail sale of cannabis to adults, garnered only 45 percent of the popular vote.

The ballot measures in Colorado and Washington will take effect once the vote totals have been formally ratified, a process that typically takes up to 30 days.

dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 05:11:51 PM

Woohoo!

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
caffeinewriter

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 05:16:49 PM

Hell, I was just going to move to Sweden or something.

Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 06:12:25 PM

That's quite a big leap..and I'm sure there will be other states to follow suit shortly, like my home state of Vermont Tongue

Washington and Colorado now get to enjoy the extra tax revenue thanks to good 'ol Mary Jane (or at least eventually).

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 06:14:28 PM

Thankfully, we can avoid smelling it for at least a few more years here in Oregon.  I was getting scared there for a bit...
myrkul

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 06:18:36 PM

Thankfully, we can avoid smelling it for at least a few more years here in Oregon.  I was getting scared there for a bit...

Oh, please. Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's going to be everywhere. Anyone who wanted to was already doing it, now they just don't have to worry about going to jail for it. Should cut back on the paranoia.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
BitcoinINV (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 06:19:29 PM

The exact amount of Tax revenue generated will be a big thing for other states, its always about the $$$$

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 06:34:34 PM

Oh, please. Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's going to be everywhere. Anyone who wanted to was already doing it, now they just don't have to worry about going to jail for it. Should cut back on the paranoia.
*shrug*  I don't like the smell.  And I disagree that anyone who wanted to do it was already doing it.  Legalization will certainly increase usage, especially in public areas.

Has anyone studied the effects of secondhand marijuana smoke?
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 06:38:24 PM

I think that's called "contact high" Wink

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 06:54:14 PM

Lol, excellent.

On the upside, at least this will cut into cartel profits.  Of course, they'll probably just push more of the harder stuff now.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 07:01:42 PM

Lol, excellent.

On the upside, at least this will cut into cartel profits.  Of course, they'll probably just push more of the harder stuff now.

But at least the vast majority of drug users won't be exposed to and offered those harder drugs when buying their weed.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 07:22:42 PM

Lol, excellent.

But at least the vast majority of drug users won't be exposed to and offered those harder drugs when buying their weed.
A very valid point as well.
SaintDevil

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

Web Programmer, Gamer

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 07:42:49 PM

What I don't understand it that since it became legal, does that mean that companies cannot refuse to hire you anymore if they find out that you smoked weed?

Join pyraming and let someone else host the equipment http://pyramining.com/referral/934khztg6
Only if it's legal where you are: Legal Bud
PM if you need to translate to Russian or the other way around.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5208
Merit: 13013

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 07:56:51 PM

It'll be very interesting to see how the federal government reacts to this. I'd like to see public support for increased state rights.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
steamboat

Activity: 648

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 08:07:13 PM

What I don't understand it that since it became legal, does that mean that companies cannot refuse to hire you anymore if they find out that you smoked weed?

That's akin to asking if companies are allowed to peruse your credit card bills and decline to hire you if they see a W.O.W. account subscription.

ASIC miners available for purchase

Those who serve best, profit most.
dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 08:08:14 PM

*shrug*  I don't like the smell.  And I disagree that anyone who wanted to do it was already doing it.  Legalization will certainly increase usage, especially in public areas.

Firsthand or secondhand, there's no harmful effects from smoking weed.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
SaintDevil

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

Web Programmer, Gamer

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 08:29:37 PM

That's akin to asking if companies are allowed to peruse your credit card bills and decline to hire you if they see a W.O.W. account subscription.

+1, you know I knew a person once who would snoop around people's facebook accounts and decide whether she want's to hire them.

There were many studies that showed that weed actually increases you ability to intellectual thinking.
Oh and it also makes you loose weight because it increases your metabolism. I guess as long as you don't overeat what you burned.

Join pyraming and let someone else host the equipment http://pyramining.com/referral/934khztg6
Only if it's legal where you are: Legal Bud
PM if you need to translate to Russian or the other way around.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 08:36:39 PM

I read some of the law and proposition and noticed something in the Washington law (i think i was that state). It mentioned that MJ is legal as long as it contains less than 1% THC.
1%? So we can only smoke ditch weed?  Undecided

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 08:38:01 PM

Doesn't it kill braincells or something, or was that just FUD?

+1, you know I knew a person once who would snoop around people's facebook accounts and decide whether she want's to hire them.
Fairly common practice these days.  That's why anyone with facebook should set their profile as private (and completely so - none of the "friends of friends" nonsense) when job hunting.  It's not illegal if they see something that they believe could hinder your performance, and that includes excessive partying, getting high, etc.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 08:41:24 PM

Doesn't it kill braincells or something, or was that just FUD?

FUD. Might be some developmental effects if smoked before 18, but nothing detrimental after.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: