Bitcoin Forum
July 07, 2024, 08:38:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Set-up to run up to 25 ASIC units  (Read 6270 times)
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 10:48:21 AM

This post shows the devices: https://forums.butterflylabs.com/showthread.php/267-How-many-Minirigs-(not-SC)-are-out-there?p=3815&viewfull=1#post3815
(...)  There are about 240 devices in that picture (...).
Inaba, there are 18 mini-rigs at the picture, not 240 singles. Correct the link.

Uh,there's 17-20 little "Singles" in each rig,rounded off to 18each x 18rigs =324 little "Singles"  Grin

& yes,I believe you can see each one in CGminer or BFGminer  Cool

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 04:44:15 PM

For what??

I've been using dual core AMD's (45 watt) cpu's & 1 gig RAM & an old hard drive (IDE) 20 gig & Win7 64bit Ultimate,for my mining rigs for over a year now & notice no difference in mining performance.

Now,if you plan on using that same PC for everyday web browsing or gaming,yes you'll need more..................  Roll Eyes

Well,for my instance,I used older AMD 5050e 2.6 ghz,dual core CPU's (cheaper & lower wattage).I had a DDR2 mobo & RAM on hand.Also DDR2 RAM is more expensive than DDR3.

I have had no issues whatsoever using only 1 gig for my mining rigs,so MS is wrong,period.

As for SSD,they are $1 per gig or more,where as standard drives are about .20 cents per gig...........why spend extra cash if your trying to SAVE money  Huh

BUT,if you are going to do ANYTHING else on that PC,yes at least 2 gig,preferably 4-6 gig is necessary for best performance of your OS & PC  Wink

Why would you pay the extra for Ultimate if it's just a low power mining rig?
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 05:57:53 PM

For what??

I've been using dual core AMD's (45 watt) cpu's & 1 gig RAM & an old hard drive (IDE) 20 gig & Win7 64bit Ultimate,for my mining rigs for over a year now & notice no difference in mining performance.

Now,if you plan on using that same PC for everyday web browsing or gaming,yes you'll need more..................  Roll Eyes

Well,for my instance,I used older AMD 5050e 2.6 ghz,dual core CPU's (cheaper & lower wattage).I had a DDR2 mobo & RAM on hand.Also DDR2 RAM is more expensive than DDR3.

I have had no issues whatsoever using only 1 gig for my mining rigs,so MS is wrong,period.

As for SSD,they are $1 per gig or more,where as standard drives are about .20 cents per gig...........why spend extra cash if your trying to SAVE money  Huh

BUT,if you are going to do ANYTHING else on that PC,yes at least 2 gig,preferably 4-6 gig is necessary for best performance of your OS & PC  Wink

I'm betting he cut pennies everywhere he could.  Wink Wink

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 05:59:03 PM

You're not suggesting what I think you are, are you? That's slanderous.
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 06:07:03 PM

I'm not suggesting anything!  Shocked Shocked
Ok maybe I am.

Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2012, 07:52:42 PM

That's correct, each minirig holds 17 - 24 individual boards that individually enumerated on the USB bus.  That was not the original design or intent, but with the ASICs being pushed forward, development on the Minirig halted abruptly and the move to unify all the USB devices into a single device was never completed... so you basically have a framework scaffold for a bunch of super singles that run at 1400 MH/s.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 08:21:51 PM

That's correct, each minirig holds 17 - 24 individual boards that individually enumerated on the USB bus.  That was not the original design or intent, but with the ASICs being pushed forward, development on the Minirig halted abruptly and the move to unify all the USB devices into a single device was never completed... so you basically have a framework scaffold for a bunch of super singles that run at 1400 MH/s.

Something I was always curious about: Why did we not get a Bitforce Single 2.0 that ran at this 1400MH/s? You couldn't charged like $1000+ and it'd still be worth it.

Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2012, 09:02:59 PM

We refocused on the ASICs and pretty much stopped all FPGA development.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
Unacceptable
Legendary

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 12:32:18 AM

I found an unlimited install version of Win7 very cheap,from my PC supply guy  Grin

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
scrybe

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 02:00:56 AM

For windows, x64 windows 7 uses more than a gig all by itself.

Ideally, for your mining machine you'll want at the very least 2 gigs, and that's if you plan on doing nothing else with it. Also, I would highly recommend going SSD for the simple fact that when/if your system has an issue, you can reboot it so much faster than a system with a hdd.

Use 32 bit windows 7 if you want, it will work fine with 1GB RAM. In fact for 2 or 3GB you should also prefer 32 bit windows 7 over x64. This is because the memory structures are larger and you will waste about 40% of your RAM with half empty quadwords. 64 bit should only be used if you are planning on putting 4GB or more of RAM in a desktop for best results.

"...as simple as possible, but no simpler" -AE
BTC/TRC/FRC: 1ScrybeSNcjqgpPeYNgvdxANArqoC6i5u Ripple:rf9gutfmGB8CH39W2PCeRbLWMKRauYyVfx LTC:LadmiD6tXq7gFZvMibhFUZegUHKXgbu1Gb
firefop

Activity: 420

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 04:28:45 AM

Use 32 bit windows 7 if you want, it will work fine with 1GB RAM. In fact for 2 or 3GB you should also prefer 32 bit windows 7 over x64. This is because the memory structures are larger and you will waste about 40% of your RAM with half empty quadwords. 64 bit should only be used if you are planning on putting 4GB or more of RAM in a desktop for best results.

While the 'greater effective memory use' due to empty words (when running 32 bit software) is true...

The primary reason to be in x64 is for hardware DEP.

crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 01:36:39 AM

Maybe this has been mentioned before, but will the new SC MR share this modular design? It would take 25 SC Singles to make 1.5TH/s. Is this what you guys have done?

Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2012, 01:54:21 AM

No, the intent is to have one monolithic device, but yes, it contains some slightly different Single SC with additional connectors and a few other things, including faster clock and cooling.

crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 02:14:06 AM

No, the intent is to have one monolithic device, but yes, it contains some slightly different Single SC with additional connectors and a few other things, including faster clock and cooling.

Sweet. Will the MR employ water-cooling? I believe I saw a pic of a waterblock for them a while back, IIRC.

Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 03:33:48 AM

Watercooled MR would be sick! Cheesy  Can you even consider it to be a mini-rig anymore at 1.5TH/s?

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
Unacceptable
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 05:13:56 AM

Watercooled MR would be sick! Cheesy  Can you even consider it to be a mini-rig anymore at 1.5TH/s?

Oh noes,don't call it a MAXI Rig.....................PLEASE  Cheesy

ninjaboon
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2012, 05:27:15 AM

I've run more than 144 on Linux via a netbook... (162 to be exact).  It started getting a little flakey after that, but there were other factors that probably contributed.  I think as long as your computer has more than 1 USB controller, you can put quite a few on one box.

162 BFL SC singles. wow.  Shocked

scrybe

Activity: 350

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 09:59:31 AM

Oh noes,don't call it a MAXI Rig.....................PLEASE  Cheesy

Yep, it would have to be watercooled, and come with a pad of some sort to go under it in case it leaks. With wings or something.

Gosh it's exciting to watch excitable people be excited!

"...as simple as possible, but no simpler" -AE
BTC/TRC/FRC: 1ScrybeSNcjqgpPeYNgvdxANArqoC6i5u Ripple:rf9gutfmGB8CH39W2PCeRbLWMKRauYyVfx LTC:LadmiD6tXq7gFZvMibhFUZegUHKXgbu1Gb
Xfinity

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 12:53:19 PM

I've run more than 144 on Linux via a netbook... (162 to be exact).  It started getting a little flakey after that, but there were other factors that probably contributed.  I think as long as your computer has more than 1 USB controller, you can put quite a few on one box.

164 separate units?

Got some pix? I'd like to see that.

I would love to see that myself, would be awsome Smiley.

Donations (BTC): 1L8EcGAuaDNK4kNxAbEBawo8ZaeFZvibgj
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2012, 05:40:57 PM

If you mean like see them in BFGMiner or something, they won't all fit on a screen, no matter how big it is (I tried for a screenshot) ... the text got so tiny as to be illegible and it still only had about 120 on the screen.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: