Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:40:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Altcoins dead?  (Read 6327 times)
From Above

Activity: 700
Merit: 520

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 10:44:38 PM

Altcoins r dead but it dont matter if u ain't brain dead.

~CfA~

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
coolbeans94

Activity: 613
Merit: 500

Mintcoin: Get some

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 12:04:02 AM

Altcoins aren't dead, never will be. Even if Bitcoin remains top dog.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

(1.) Moral happiness depends upon moral order.
(2.) Moral order depends upon the harmonious action of all our powers, as
individuals and as members of society.
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 01:02:31 AM

All altcoins are crap seeing from the past year alone crap coins have been coming out, just for the sake of it.

Bitcoin will only be the top cryptocurrency no matter what.

Good for making a quick buck nothing more.

uhhmm yeah sure.. *IF* you weren't cleaned out already.
You have any idea how many coins i have been caught stranded with as they were removed from that last one exchange ?

You guys are full of shit.. big time !

Things are great and your making tons of money ? ... wrooooooooooooooooooooong
Your one of these guys that shows up late to the rush and bought over priced coins and now can't get rid of them
and admitting it will ensure you don't break even.. this place is notorious for liars.

ohh blah blah blah i made $3,000 some guy say's
oh really ?
how much came out of your bank account to do that ?

And if you keep playing the game just like gambling how long do think you will stay *up ?
All the old vet scammers in these scene are faaaaaaaar smarter than you lucky kids.. trust me LOL

FUD first & ask questions later™
Spoetnik
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 01:14:25 AM
Last edit: November 08, 2015, 03:08:28 AM by Spoetnik

@ilovealtcoins
"I'm just saying that Altcoins do serve a functional purpose"

That is irrelevant.

That is like being in court for bank robbery and saying hey but "i am a good guy"
The judge is going to shake his head and laugh and say so damn what.. GUILTY bam down the gavel goes ahahha

You guys want to discuss this (the topic title) then fine let's do it.
I have been around a while.
But does the topic title say "[POLL] Do Altcoins serve a functional purpose ?"
Does it say "[POLL] I like Altcoins ?"
Or how about "[POLL] Have you made money with Altcoins ?"

Look around see what i am reading here or i am i seeing something different ?
It's like i am having my own discussion with myself LOL
..and i am the only one on-topic hahha

That toilet is going to keep swirling down unless you wake the hell up guys.
Gambit said what do you care ?
That is my point.. 99% of you don't care (proof is the Altcoin scene is a raped whore left for dead in an alley)
Don't sit there and tell me ohhh ohhhh well i made $3,000 so Altcoins are doing great 11!111ONE

Altcoins are NOT about making money / turning a profit  Roll Eyes

ilovealtcoins

Activity: 1246
Merit: 263

SmartFi - EARN, LEND & TRADE

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 01:43:58 AM

@ilovealtcoins

That is irrelevant.

That is like being in court for bank robbery and saying hey but "i am a good guy"
The judge is going top shake his head and laugh and say so damn what.. GUILTY bam down the gavel goes ahahha

That is my point.. 99% of you don't care (proof is the Altcoin scene is a raped whore left for dead in an alley)
Don't sit there and tell me ohhh ohhhh well i made $3,000 so Altcoins are doing great 11!111ONE

I agree with you. Altcoins aren't about making money (or at least they shouldn't be.) I suppose "dead" is the wrong term in this sense. The price is going down, does that mean they are dead? Probably not. If Bitcoin lost all it's market value over night I'm sure people would still use it.

The fact that the price of Alts is going down is irrelevant to the discussion of altcoins being dead, my comment about them serving a functional purpose was to highlight the fact that they probably never will "die" in the sense that people will always make them and people will always use them. Because they're just as important as bitcoin. The prices are irrelevant, the money is irrelevant.

Now if you wanted to discuss the idea that Alts will never be worth anything I would love to talk about that, because that's a good topic to debate about. But whether they "die" or not isn't one, because they will exist whether they have value or not. Probably not as many, and not nearly as many clones as we have now, but the fact remains that there are indeed some talented programmers who want to improve upon Bitcoins fundamentals, and the only way they can do that is through Alts. So, no, I don't think altcoins are "dead" so to speak, I do think that they are losing value and are probably not sound investment at the moment, but that is irrelevant.

P.S. I know that OP was talking about the recent price drops in alts, but the question was whether Altcoins were dead or not.
Luqman

Activity: 826

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 02:09:57 AM

Nope, Altcoins will going back when bitcoin's price get stable..
Spoetnik
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 03:26:41 AM

@ilovealtcoins

That is irrelevant.

The judge is going top shake his head and laugh and say so damn what.. GUILTY bam down the gavel goes ahahha

I agree with you. Altcoins aren't about making money (or at least they shouldn't be.) I suppose "dead" is the wrong term in this sense. The price is going down, does that mean they are dead? Probably not. If Bitcoin lost all it's market value over night I'm sure people would still use it.

The fact that the price of Alts is going down is irrelevant to the discussion of altcoins being dead, my comment about them serving a functional purpose was to highlight the fact that they probably never will "die" in the sense that people will always make them and people will always use them. Because they're just as important as bitcoin. The prices are irrelevant, the money is irrelevant.

Now if you wanted to discuss the idea that Alts will never be worth anything I would love to talk about that, because that's a good topic to debate about. But whether they "die" or not isn't one, because they will exist whether they have value or not. Probably not as many, and not nearly as many clones as we have now, but the fact remains that there are indeed some talented programmers who want to improve upon Bitcoins fundamentals, and the only way they can do that is through Alts. So, no, I don't think altcoins are "dead" so to speak, I do think that they are losing value and are probably not sound investment at the moment, but that is irrelevant.

P.S. I know that OP was talking about the recent price drops in alts, but the question was whether Altcoins were dead or not.

Every single thing you say is just plain wrong..jeezuz christ where do i start *again ? LOL
You and 1 or 2 other guys keep having a run at it and failing miserably.

"I agree with you." ?
No you don't !

"Altcoins aren't about making money (or at least they shouldn't be.)"
They are NOT.
Otherwise they would be called something else like a security or digital ponzi-scheme token.
(go to www.cryptostocks.com for shit like that)

" I suppose "dead" is the wrong term in this sense. The price is going down, does that mean they are dead? Probably not."
Actually yes that is what it means.. Based on a few factors.
If no one is around and using these (in any way) then yes we can consider it dead.

Further more i said already they don't really "Die" .. we all know they just skid close to death for ever.
How often have you seen a coin you would call dead come back to life ? ..for a quick pump & dump ?
This aspect of it is common knowledge and your trying to change the argument (topic title)
To what defines dead.. (there is no debate on that, we all agree / based on what we see AKA: reality)

"If Bitcoin lost all it's market value over night I'm sure people would still use it."
That is possibly the dumbest thing i ever heard in crypto.. no joke i am serious !
A currency that has no value means it has no users to assign it value.
If it has no value it means everyone left LOL

"The fact that the price of Alts is going down is irrelevant to the discussion of altcoins being dead"
Really ? WOW LOL
That -IS- what we use as an indicator of success in the scene.
This is not theoretical, it's what we all commonly believe and accept as fact.
Except you apparently..
If the usd had no value over night such as in 2008 would people still use it and consider it going well ?
How about if an Apple or Microsoft stock dropped to 50 cents each ? still going great eh ?

i'm not even reading the rest of your delusional reply.. you have no clue what your talking about at all.
If i didn't think you were serious i would think your trolling me LOL

You guys left here advocating this crap are clueless and don't know how this stuff even works.
Yet your spouting off trying to deny reality.

Tell me what would you define as a dead altcoin scene ?
I would like to hear a real response to that.. forget what ever else i said and please just answer that 1 single question.
I also want the answer to be a plausible scenario that could actually happen realistically.

ilovealtcoins

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 03:40:18 AM

I would like to hear a real response to that.. forget what ever else i said and please just answer that 1 single question.
I also want the answer to be a plausible scenario that could actually happen realistically.

An altcoin that is dead is an Altcoin with no Network hashrate. Since no one is mining it, it doesn't exist. See how that works. It happened to my shitcoin "Nucoin" (yes I admit, it was shit, I was new in the scene and I posted Local IPs as seed nodes. I was a moron)

But sure. I see where you're coming from, we do define success as market value here. I will concede that that is true. Altcoins can "die" in the sense that they have no value, but people will still use them to experiment and share ideas, so in that sense they won't "die" so much as fade into the distance, to a low rumble in the roar of Bitcoin-mania.

But I'm sure you'll tell me that I'm wrong and that we're all idiots, so yeah, fun times.  Roll Eyes
Spoetnik
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 04:52:54 AM

read the topic title.. i am not talking about 'a' coin
i am talking about them all collective (thought that was obvious)

ilovealtcoins

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 05:06:56 AM

Well the answer the that question is quite simple. A dead Altcoin scene, as you put it, would be if NO ONE used Altcoins. If everyone were to up and abandon Altcoins in one day, then yes, they would be dead.

Realistically? I suppose very few people using them would also leave them dead.
Spoetnik
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 05:28:58 AM

Well the answer the that question is quite simple. A dead Altcoin scene, as you put it, would be if NO ONE used Altcoins. If everyone were to up and abandon Altcoins in one day, then yes, they would be dead.

Finally now we're getting some where LOL

Then i have to wonder what all of you here would define "few people"
at what point do you say.. uhh shit we got a problem !
Like where do you draw the line ?

To me if i look around i see a LOT of bad signs.. how the hell do so many of you see none at all ?

ilovealtcoins

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 05:38:18 AM

Finally now we're getting some where LOL

Then i have to wonder what all of you here would define "few people"
at what point do you say.. uhh shit we got a problem !
Like where do you draw the line ?

To me if i look around i see a LOT of bad signs.. how the hell do so many of you see none at all ?

I see bad signs everywhere. I don't like the fact that the price is dropping either. I'm just not convinced that something like this could ever "die." At least not without Bitcoin dying as well.

That's a good point though. I don't really know where I would draw the line, since it's such a subjective thing and I try to be as objective as possible, and even if I were to define it in such a "firm" manner, I don't think it would matter. Altcoins would most likely die without us even noticing, like a frog in a boiling pot of water, it doesn't even know it's dying. And sure, the same could be said for me, maybe I'm just trying to save a dead/dying community. But that's neither here nor there.
Spoetnik
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 08:04:43 AM

"..At least not without Bitcoin dying as well."
I bet that would be the case too.
They are tied together if one goes down then the other follows i think..

ilovealtcoins

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 08:27:56 AM

"..At least not without Bitcoin dying as well."
I bet that would be the case too.
They are tied together if one goes down then the other follows i think..

That's at least the case with Litecoin.

Honestly the only way I ever see Altcoins completely dying is if there was some fundamental flaw with Bitcoin, causing it to fail catastrophically, thus bringing down all the alts with it. Otherwise there will always be people trying to find alternatives (and make a quick buck), so there will always be some place for alts. Maybe a smaller place, but a place none the less.
I am the guy

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 08:33:25 AM

bitcoins will always be #1

*until it becomes number 2.

I am the guy

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 08:34:52 AM

Altcoins dead? No. You have to be crazy to believe BTC will be the only crypto.

gambit1

Activity: 980
Merit: 508

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 11:50:17 AM

Everyone is talking about alt prices dropping. Can you please explain what you mean and over what time period because alts have recently had a big boom. I can't reconcile what you are saying with reality.
Spoetnik
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 11:51:15 AM

Altcoins dead? No. You have to be crazy to believe BTC will be the only crypto.

Does that Jumbo jet seem loud going over your head ?

Let me tell you a story..

My Town had the 2nd Bitcoin ATM in the world and the 1st was not far..
http://www.bitcoiniacs.com/atm/
The ATM location / Store front was closed loooooong ago.
Bitcoin went up it got popular and then everybody left.
I will admit the location in my town Kelowna BC, Canada was not an official ATM location
but rather a trading exchange site of sorts (the Vancouver location has a real ATM)
But that doesn't change the point.. The Kelowna location is now a Bicycle Sales / Repair shop.

Then take Altcoins.. there was a time when this stuff here was so popular
You could barely follow a topic because so many were posted soo fast..

A stranger i met told me he heard of Bitcoin thought it was about some online money drugs thing
and thought it was over like two years ago and that it was dead / over.
The stigma it had before the big boom had never left !
The only thing that changed over time was user level adoption..
They came.. and they left !

If your measuring stick of success has anything to do with Bitcoin ? Then your doing it wrong.
Bitcoin is a failure.
And Altcoins are dead.. time to wake up and smell the moldy coffee whoring shill bag holders.

Your a Doge coin short and a day late.  Cheesy

gambit1

Activity: 980
Merit: 508

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 11:53:38 AM

http://coinmarketcap.com/#EUR

If it helps look at the 7 day price graphs. They are the same roughly as bitcoin in a lot of cases. A big pump then a retrenchment. That is true of litecoin, ripple, dodge ect. Ethereum hasn't even had that much of a retrenchment; not as much as bitcoin. Where is this big alt price fall people are referencing? Over what time period?
Spoetnik
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 08:16:08 PM

Everyone is talking about alt prices dropping. Can you please explain what you mean and over what time period because alts have recently had a big boom. I can't reconcile what you are saying with reality.

They are dropping you just have to look past the pump of some coin in the last few days to see it.

Just because a chicken still runs around after you chop it's head off don't mean it's not dead.

I swear to god damn god this place is loaded with brain dead morons.
You guys here are either deceitful and / or delusional.

Should i expect a bunch of baggy's to admit this shit is over ?

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: