Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:30:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinbase is overstepping the bounds we should give it regarding Bitcoin XT  (Read 6607 times)
christycalhoun

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 09:36:49 PM

I never trusted Coinbase as an exchange and I do not trust their new "bitcoin".

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
meono

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 10:09:38 PM

I really want to see what will happen the day the the services that you have in your signs will claim of using a client/node that differs from the Bitcoin Core Wink

Sig ad spammers dont care,

Speaks loudly about their posts doesnt it?
meono

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 10:10:22 PM

Good thing, you should never "trust" bitcoin.

Maybe its time to learn what bitcoin is?
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 10:14:47 PM

Good thing, you should never "trust" bitcoin.

Maybe its time to learn what bitcoin is?

what the fuck you talking about troll?
meono

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 10:30:57 PM

We should not be allowing a private corporation to try to convince us to move over to Bitcoin XT, something which they are saying entirely for their own benefit - an increase in the amount of transactions would obviously benefit them ignoring everything else, they are for commerce. But it ignores all the other arguments against (and for it as well!) it as they are only pumping it for their own benefit. And now the Bitcoin community, especially on reddit, has descending into circlejerking against theymos and as an implication of this are now circlejerking all over Bitcoin XT and supporting Coinbase here. We have given a private corporation too much power.

Not to mention that the discussion of Bitcoin XT wasn't even banned, Coinbase overstepping these bounds and pumping Bitcoin XT was. Jesus, guys.

what do you expect?
companies are obligated to do anything for their financial interest. they are not a charity. otherweise their investors can sue them... (not talking about xt in this paragraph; just as a general rule)

on the other hand anybody should always be aware that when a company speaks they are primarly speaking for themselves. so i dont think coinbase saying they want XT is something bad for the community.

disclaimer: i'd like to see bigger blocks too. not neceassarily XT.
edit: never used coinbase and i think they are not very trustworthy. have seen way to many negatives stories here about them

The fact that you had to put a disclaimer there says it all about this forum/ "community"

You're afraid of being branded as XT shills, XT supporters even your posts are sound and fair.

I see lots of big blocks supporters do this too, when they only argue about having bigger blocks is needed.

I think censorship does a wonderful job wrecking the community already.

DiamondCardz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2015, 10:33:11 PM

The fact that you had to put a disclaimer there says it all about this forum/ "community"

You're afraid of being branded as XT shills, XT supporters even your posts are sound and fair.

I see lots of big blocks supporters do this too, when they only argue about having bigger blocks is needed.

I think censorship does a wonderful job wrecking the community already.

I don't like branding people as XT shills. If they genuinely think an opposing opinion, great. We can have a better level of discourse. When it's circlejerking, we have a problem. Personally I want to see civilised debate about BIP100 vs BIP101 (and other BIPxxx solutions too).

On a tangent, as one of the people who loves branding people as dogie shills or even just dogie supporters, you are a bit of a hypocrite. (You said something remotely supporting dogie or remotely defending a claim against him that is outlandish? SHILL!)

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
Quantus
Legendary

Activity: 883
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 07, 2015, 11:16:01 PM

Fuck coinbase and fuck all these god dam XT shills, I'm so sick of it.

(I am a 1MB block supporter who thinks all users should be using Full-Node clients)
Avoid the XT shills, they only want to destroy bitcoin, their hubris and greed will destroy us.
Know your adversary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 12:19:00 AM

I don't know what did you guys expect from the Coinbase. If someone gives himself a right to track the way you spend your bitcoins. If someone also gives himself a right to close your accounts as he wish, didn't you expect that they would do something like this?

They have totally crossed the line but I am not surprised at all.
DiamondCardz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2015, 12:22:47 AM

I don't know what did you guys expect from the Coinbase. If someone gives himself a right to track the way you spend your bitcoins. If someone also gives himself a right to close your accounts as he wish, didn't you expect that they would do something like this?

Indeed. It's unfortunate that /r/bitcoin is too busy circlejerking in an anti-theymos brigade that they have started circlejerking over Coinbase and BIP101 as a result to try to maximise how much of an "edgy cryptoanarchist" they can become by "sticking it to censorship". The real issue here has been completely buried and Coinbase is just rubbing their hands and leaning back in their chairs.

gio3442

Activity: 179
Merit: 104

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 12:22:55 AM

IIRC coinbase holds no mining equipment nor have plans to invest in it. Overwhelming majority of the miners are currently blocking XT and as long as this keeps going we're safe.
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1011

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 12:24:23 AM

The problem is that Bitcoin noobs in the US are likely to go to Coinbase to buy their first coins. Because they don't know any better they think it is OK to submit to all these conditions. Due to this they do have some potential economic clout.
DiamondCardz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2015, 12:25:05 AM

IIRC coinbase holds no mining equipment nor have plans to invest in it. Overwhelming majority of the miners are currently blocking XT and as long as this keeps going we're safe.

Indeed, and we have seen some mining pools openly come out against BIP101 and state they will continue mining BIP100 blocks. But:

So what happens when Coinbase, BitPay and Blockchain try to get us to move to XT?

a) We move and state that we are fine with the big companies pushing us around, and the dream of Bitcoin being a decentralized currency where the decisions are made mainly by the users is dead.

b) Consensus for BIP101 fails and Coinbase, BitPay and Blockchain are left failing. The Bitcoin price will crash if something as dramatic as this happens.

These companies are leading us down a rocky road for their own personal gain.

BitPay and Blockchain have stated they intend to change to BIP101 by the end of December. It's going to create a rocky road where we hit a) or b), and b) seems quite possible in the near future.

HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2015, 12:50:41 AM

Every businesses that uses Bitcoin will want to have bigger blocks and not giving any voting power to the miners, deal with it.

Coinbase is just the first that has clearly given a state to this issue, just wait for all the others.

Welcome to Bitcoin: permissionless innovation.

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
DiamondCardz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2015, 12:55:44 AM

Every businesses that uses Bitcoin will want to have bigger blocks and not giving any voting power to the miners, deal with it.

Coinbase is just the first that has clearly given a state to this issue, just wait for all the others.

Deal with it?

I'm sorry?

Are you trying to say that we should all just allow the businesses to take control of the decision making for the Bitcoin community, essentially centralising the decision-making and ruining what Bitcoin is supposed to be all about?

HostFat
Staff
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2015, 12:59:59 AM

You should talk to all the owner of nodes, they own the network.
https://bitnodes.21.co

The owner of nodes will listen to the demand of the network, the common users.

What will the common users demand?
Slow confirmations?
High fees?

I think not Smiley

DiamondCardz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2015, 01:03:53 AM

You should talk to all the owner of nodes, they own the network.
https://bitnodes.21.co

The owner of nodes will listen to the demand of the network, the common users.

What will the common users demand?
Slow confirmation?
High fees?

I think not Smiley

You say that as if there are not other alternatives to BIP101 (err, BIP100 and BIP102?) that are already liked, mainly BIP100 here. When most people are just looking for a way to simply increase the block size, that doesn't mean we need to start seeing Coinbase force the solution they like the most upon us.

HostFat
Staff
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2015, 01:09:20 AM

Giving power to the miners is a worst case scenario, so the is only the BIP101 as a valid solution now (with big blocks).
It's a logical choice for business as Coinbase, there is no "force" involved.

Everyone is still free to run whatever wants in his computer/server, but a good solution must arrive. (and be developed)

Actually, BIP101 is the only one available in code.

Coinbase (or whatever business) will chose the best one.

If you don't like it, ask and/or pay a developer for something different, but do it early. The market / users demand for a solution now.

DiamondCardz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2015, 01:17:19 AM

Giving power to the miners is a worst case scenario, so the is only the BIP101 as a valid solution now (with big blocks).
It's a logical choice for business as Coinbase, there is no "force" involved.

Everyone is still free to run whatever wants in his computer/server, but a good solution must arrive. (and be developed)

Actually, BIP101 is the only one available in code.

Coinbase (or whatever business) will chose the best one.

If you don't like it, ask and/or pay a developer for something different, but do it early. The market / users demand for a solution now.

BIP100 is not much to code (well, for developers of the skill we have).

BIP102 is coded.

BIP103 is coded (I believe).

BIP103++ is being written and coded.

Saying that BIP101 is the only one available is ridiculous. Actually, Bitpay did say BIP100 and others are fine as well. It's mainly Coinbase trying to push BIP101 and nothing else. In fact, a Coinbase member, Charlie Lee, also a founder of Litecoin, advocates against XT and BIP101. It's not our best option and we shouldn't be coerced into it.

HostFat
Staff
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2015, 01:23:06 AM

BIP102

Abstract
Simple, one-time increase in total amount of transaction data permitted in a block from 1MB to 2MB.
LOL, you clearly live in a fantasy world.

I give up.

danielW

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 08, 2015, 01:58:51 AM

BitPay is also a commerce processor, they are essentially equivalent to Coinbase. I don't even know why Blockchain is there and why they are relevant. Based on BitPay's signature being first I'd gamble they wrote the letter.

I have had it with Coinbase. They are already on my blacklist. If anyone from Coinbase is reading (and I'm sure you are), I will never use your service again and I shall forbid any close contact to do so either. Do you want to ruin your business? Because this is how it starts. Coinbase has lose all credibility from now on and whatever their CEO says should be disregarded.

I don't plan to use them anymore where I can avoid it. This is how you fuck up Bitcoin, by starting to get involved in major development issues as if you're a company lobbying the US government. We don't want that shit, that's centralisation.

Core is under centralized development. Decentralization = freedom of choice. Stop being such an hypocrite.

Nobody is really against alternative implementations. We dont agree with one specific implementation and how it attempts to change consensus. How is anybody being a hypocrite? We are allowed to believe that having XT being the reference client is bad for Bitcoin.

Nobody says you dont have a choice, and most importantly nobody can stop your choice. We are allowed to say its a bad choice.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: