Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:59:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GUI Miner solo configuration problems  (Read 2300 times)
firetreeactual (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 12:40:06 AM

OK...first...please no lectures on "solo mining is useless" etc. I do understand.  Cool

Second...I'm making this new post because I've been at this for a couple of months now, have 50 yrs in IT and banking, and suddenly realize how much of a nooby I can be at 67. Thank you in advance for your patience.

Anyway...I'm running a top-end mobo with a Radeon R9 290X and I've been getting consistent 825Mh/s rates with it on Slush's Pool. No problem.

I really wish to do some solo mining. I've got two more R9s and mobos, and too much idle time, I guess (and I don't pay for my electricity). No matter what I do, it seems it won't happen. I've seen comments on other boards that anything past v.0.3.21 of Bitcoin Core will not support solo (I'm running the most recent). That would be a bummer. I've also tried just about every .conf and .ini configuration imaginable.

I had some jpg's of the console, conf and ini files but can't figure out how to insert them here. I'll try to use text patches:

Console msgs when trying to start the solo miner:

2015-11-10 14:27:59: Running command: poclbm.exe myusername:mypassword@localhost:8332 --device=0 --platform=0 --verbose -r1
2015-11-10 14:27:59: Listener for "Actual 1" started
2015-11-10 14:28:01: Listener for "Actual 1": localhost:8332 10/11/2015 14:28:01, checking for stratum...
2015-11-10 14:28:01: Listener for "Actual 1": localhost:8332 10/11/2015 14:28:01, started OpenCL miner on platform 0, device 0 (Hawaii)
2015-11-10 14:28:01: Listener for "Actual 1": localhost:8332 10/11/2015 14:28:01, server error: Method not found
2015-11-10 14:28:01: Listener for "Actual 1": localhost:8332 10/11/2015 14:28:01, no response to getwork, using as stratum
2015-11-10 14:28:11: Listener for "Actual 1": localhost:8332 10/11/2015 14:28:11, Failed to subscribe
2015-11-10 14:28:13: Listener for "Actual 1": localhost:8332 10/11/2015 14:28:13, IO errors - 1, tolerance 2
2015-11-10 14:28:20: Listener for "Actual 1" shutting down  (stopped it here)

The bitcoin.conf:

server=1
rpcuser=myusername
rpcpassword=mypassword
rpcport=8332

The poclbm.ini:

{
    "profiles": [
        {
            "username": "username",
            "balance_auth_token": "",
            "name": "Default",
            "hostname": "api2.bitcoin.cz",
            "external_path": "",
            "affinity_mask": 1,
            "flags": "",
            "autostart": false,
            "device": 0,
            "password": "pass",
            "port": "8332"
        },
        {
            "username": "myusername",
            "name": "Actual 1",
            "hostname": "localhost",
            "password": "mypassword",
        }
    ],
    "bitcoin_executable": "C:\\Program Files\\Bitcoin\\bitcoin-qt.exe",
    "show_console": true,
    "show_summary": false,
    "show_opencl_warning": true,
    "console_max_lines": 5000,
    "start_minimized": false,
    "blockchain_directory": "C:\\Users\\Caprica\\AppData\\Roaming\\Bitcoin",
    "window_position": [
    ]

The file paths have been checked and are accurate. No firewall issue. I've mapped 8332 and 8333 in the router.

I need a cocktail...or two...

To infinity and beyond...on two 741s and one of only 3...nope, make that 4...full nodes in Hawaii...on <30A. (I have other gear on the Hoth ice planet)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 12:43:33 AM

OK...first...please no lectures on "solo mining is useless" etc. I do understand.  Cool

Second...I'm making this new post because I've been at this for a couple of months now, have 50 yrs in IT and banking, and suddenly realize how much of a nooby I can be at 67. Thank you in advance for your patience.

Anyway...I'm running a top-end mobo with a Radeon R9 290X and I've been getting consistent 825Mh/s rates with it on Slush's Pool. No problem.

I really wish to do some solo mining. I've got two more R9s and mobos, and too much idle time, I guess (and I don't pay for my electricity). No matter what I do, it seems it won't happen. I've seen comments on other boards that anything past v.0.3.21 of Bitcoin Core will not support solo (I'm running the most recent). That would be a bummer. I've also tried just about every .conf and .ini configuration imaginable.

I had some jpg's of the console, conf and ini files but can't figure out how to insert them here. I'll try to use text patches:

Console msgs when trying to start the solo miner:

2015-11-10 14:27:59: Running command: poclbm.exe myusername:mypassword@localhost:8332 --device=0 --platform=0 --verbose -r1
2015-11-10 14:27:59: Listener for "Actual 1" started
2015-11-10 14:28:01: Listener for "Actual 1": localhost:8332 10/11/2015 14:28:01, checking for stratum...
2015-11-10 14:28:01: Listener for "Actual 1": localhost:8332 10/11/2015 14:28:01, started OpenCL miner on platform 0, device 0 (Hawaii)
2015-11-10 14:28:01: Listener for "Actual 1": localhost:8332 10/11/2015 14:28:01, server error: Method not found
2015-11-10 14:28:01: Listener for "Actual 1": localhost:8332 10/11/2015 14:28:01, no response to getwork, using as stratum
2015-11-10 14:28:11: Listener for "Actual 1": localhost:8332 10/11/2015 14:28:11, Failed to subscribe
2015-11-10 14:28:13: Listener for "Actual 1": localhost:8332 10/11/2015 14:28:13, IO errors - 1, tolerance 2
2015-11-10 14:28:20: Listener for "Actual 1" shutting down  (stopped it here)

The bitcoin.conf:

server=1
rpcuser=myusername
rpcpassword=mypassword
rpcport=8332

The poclbm.ini:

{
    "profiles": [
        {
            "username": "username",
            "name": "Default",
            "hostname": "api2.bitcoin.cz",
            "password": "pass",
        },
        {
            "username": "myusername",
            "name": "Actual 1",
            "hostname": "localhost",
            "password": "mypassword",
        }
    ],
    "bitcoin_executable": "C:\\Program Files\\Bitcoin\\bitcoin-qt.exe",
    "show_console": true,
    "show_summary": false,
    "show_opencl_warning": true,
    "console_max_lines": 5000,
    "start_minimized": false,
    "blockchain_directory": "C:\\Users\\Caprica\\AppData\\Roaming\\Bitcoin",
    "window_position": [
    ]

The file paths have been checked and are accurate. No firewall issue. I've mapped 8332 and 8333 in the router.

I need a cocktail...or two...

Use ck's solo pool?;
http://solo.ckpool.org/

And yeah mining with GPU is useless. Smiley You could sell the gpu and get a great miner that would multiply your chances by 10 000, that would not break down because of the heat, cause noise or need to have its fans replaced all the time because they aren't meant to handle the load, assuming the VRM does not burn out because its not meant to be used 24/7 on such a heavy algo.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2015, 12:45:35 AM

You can mine solo to the current bitcoind with software that supports mining with getblocktemplate - any other mechanism for mining to bitcoind has been removed from the code.
Guiminer is so old that it doesn't support getblocktemplate.
Ergo you cannot do what you are trying to do.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
firetreeactual (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 12:56:08 AM

Thanks for the prompt responses...and especially the one on guiminer not being able to do it. Wasted a lot of time there.

It's a Phenom 4/8 core and 32GB ram...but I don't even try to use the CPU for this. It WILL do CPU mining, but it's slow as heck (of course) and stops everything else on the system.

I'll try the pool you noted, although I've looked at two "solo pools" so far, and one is already dead and the other one looks smarmy as heck.

To infinity and beyond...on two 741s and one of only 3...nope, make that 4...full nodes in Hawaii...on <30A. (I have other gear on the Hoth ice planet)
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2015, 02:03:02 AM

I'll try the pool you noted, although I've looked at two "solo pools" so far, and one is already dead and the other one looks smarmy as heck.
You talking about my solo pool there as swarmy...? Please look at my history before passing judgement.

Plus mining pools these days use stratum, and guiminer is probably even too old to communicate with stratum.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
firetreeactual (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 02:22:51 AM

You talking about my solo pool there as swarmy...? Please look at my history before passing judgement.

Plus mining pools these days use stratum, and guiminer is probably even too old to communicate with stratum.

No, CK...of course I'm not. I'm glad you replied. That exchange was the first I'd known of your solo pool. I've set up on solo.ckpool.org and am running the 825Mh/s with no apparent issues...on GUI Miner, yet  Cool. I will be able to complete the project I said I would do (a volunteer thing for our church's veterans' ministry) now, but only thanks to your making the solo pool available. My apologies for getting hooked on the gui thing. I write several programming languages and such, but I'm a retired combat veteran and am, frankly, lazy as heck and don't want to mess with a load of code. My bad. It works, though, with your solo pool.

I don't plan on, or even dream of, getting rich in Bitcoin mining. There are a couple of things I'd like to accomplish, though, if I get lucky, that I couldn't afford to do otherwise. Fortunately, I don't have to pay for electricity in my retirement complex.

Thanks again. Best to you.

The "smarmy" one, btw, shall remain nameless.

VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 02:26:40 AM

Thanks for the prompt responses...and especially the one on guiminer not being able to do it. Wasted a lot of time there.

It's a Phenom 4/8 core and 32GB ram...but I don't even try to use the CPU for this. It WILL do CPU mining, but it's slow as heck (of course) and stops everything else on the system.

Maybe there is a cgminer miner version you can use some -gpu argument or such. Honestly this is such a bad idea, that there is not really any work being done to support people who want to do this ongoingly.

Even bad choices like buying a 5GH/s usb key that use virtually no power for 10$ is years ahead of what you want to do.

Anyways, good luck;

Days to generate one block mining solo: 3868327.82 Day(s) with your 400$ gpu. Tongue

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
firetreeactual (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 02:37:06 AM

Maybe there is a cgminer miner version you can use some -gpu argument or such. Honestly this is such a bad idea, that there is not really any work being done to support people who want to do this ongoingly.

Even bad choices like buying a 5GH/s usb key that use virtually no power for 10$ is years ahead of what you want to do.

Anyways, good luck;

Days to generate one block mining solo: 3868327.82 Day(s) with your 400$ gpu. Tongue

Yup...I did the math. I know...I'm utilizing what was available in that the R9 was donated; the main machine is my primary workstation, with a 1200w psu, and could care less. It's been paid for since '13. The exercise is re the process; it's giving a couple of folks something to do...a "mission". We're looking at some ASICs, maybe that low-end Antminer USB to start with. Not much cash to put in it, but that's probably a good thing.

Peace.

VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 02:47:06 AM

Anyways, good luck;

Yup...I did the math. I know...I'm utilizing what was available in that the R9 was donated; the main machine is my primary workstation, with a 1200w psu, and could care less. It's been paid for since '13. The exercise is re the process; it's giving a couple of folks something to do...a "mission". We're looking at some ASICs, maybe that low-end Antminer USB to start with. Not much cash to put in it, but that's probably a good thing.

Peace.

It doesnt really matter your  past  method of acquisition, what you have now, it doesn't change what would be a bad method or what a good direction to head from here would be.

Whether you have free electricity or not, or you paid for what you have or not. I do have some free electricity too and i do lottery mining. There are simply good, bad and horrible way to go about it. And with how much heat you got for trying this, you can probably guess where your method would score on that scale.

The best usb stick is this;
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1126705.0

You even get a lightshow for free. For minimal lottery mining, this is great.

However THE best way to go about it for you is probably a underclocked S1 at 275hz with a completely silent fan, pen modding the resistance down to 2.7. 140gh for 160 watts~
I got mine for 10$. Wont even have bother with running guiminer or cgminer or whichever miner that does gpu bitcoin mining.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀