Print  
Author Topic: .  (Read 19619 times)
phr33

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 11:10:22 AM

Great news!

I won't be surprised if more and more sites will follow. Go bitcoin!

My BTC input: 1GAtPwoTGPQ35y9QugJueum5GzaEzLYjiQ
My GPG ID: B0CCFD4A
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Miles Bennett Dyson

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 11:51:53 AM

You can see an effect here: http://stats.grok.se/en/latest30/Bitcoin
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 11:52:36 AM

[It is also possible that the CC cartel interferes with this. Funny thing about bitcoin libertarians. They like cartels, but cartels fuck them anally. Does this mean libertarians are bottoms?]

No. I'm an economist.

Whatever else you might be, you are clearly a filthy-mouthed, mean-spirited, little blow-hard who has no qualms leaving the refuse of your mind all over otherwise civil, well-meaning public forums.

cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 12:44:14 PM

[It is also possible that the CC cartel interferes with this. Funny thing about bitcoin libertarians. They like cartels, but cartels fuck them anally. Does this mean libertarians are bottoms?]

No. I'm an economist.

Whatever else you might be, you are clearly a filthy-mouthed, mean-spirited, little blow-hard who has no qualms leaving the refuse of your mind all over otherwise civil, well-meaning public forums.

If you just go over to the left a bit, there is a button marked ignore. Mine is bright orange to help you find it. I suggest you click that button.
Projects

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 01:47:56 PM

I think this news is great! We need more big players accepting bitcoins to make bitcoin mainstream.
Hopefully this is the first big player of many to accept bitcoins - I can already see the exchange rate has gone up since this announcement!

Buying Bitcoins for cash or gold/silver bullion many methods to pay you - pm me for more information
Bank transfer, Cash, Postal Order, Western Union, MoneyGram, SEPA, Amazon & More  - Worldwide Transfers Available
*NEW* BTC for Citibank P2P transfers - USD/EUR please pm me for more information
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 03:47:25 PM

I think this news is great! We need more big players accepting bitcoins to make bitcoin mainstream.
Hopefully this is the first big player of many to accept bitcoins - I can already see the exchange rate has gone up since this announcement!

I bet the next big deal will be wikipedia or reddit announcing acceptance of bitcoin.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 03:52:22 PM

Nice to see more places to accept bitcoin. Bitcoin makes life easier, click send. Heard about this from hardocp.com hardocp news
flix
Legendary

Activity: 1227
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 03:54:58 PM

Search around the internet for some kids in Africa with a blog site on Wordpress.  Convince them to accept donations in bitcoins, a handful of us chip in, and with like 3 BTC they can upgrade and improve their blog.

LOL. "Wanted Nigerian Scammer who accepts bitcoin" I can't wait to see that blow up in your face.

Just wait till the Somali pirates starts learning about bitcoin!

Perhaps we will see pirates with EMG weapons, and shippers will get this threat:

"Pay 200K bitcoins to 1asxddffsa3334r541234 within 12 hours, or expect all your ships passing woddoloddidoo waters to be incapacitated for the following week."

LOL.
bb113

Activity: 728

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 05:58:32 PM

Are they offering any type of discount for bitcoin use?

Why would they give discount if they have to pay a fee to the BitPay similarly as they would pay to PayPal ?

Also, even if they processed the Bitcoins themselves, they would still have to convert BTC to dollars anyway, so there is another small loss in the process of exchange.

Assuming that BitPay and Wordpress are well-managed (big assumption), BitPay is giving Wordpress a significant discount on its advertised processing fee, and Wordpress is passing part
of the savings on to customers.

If wordpress does not do this, then bitcoin will not be used by a meaningful number of Wordpress customers. If bitcoin is not used by a meaningful number of wordpress customers,
then bitcoin adoption will negatively affect wordpress' bottom line.

Payoff = Additional Margin from Bitcoin Payment vs. CC (negligible without volume) + Additional Customers who can only access bitcoin (absolutely negligible) - Adoption cost

This will be negative unless a discount is offered to increase the volume of BTC payments.

To sum up in different words. BitPay claims that the CC companies are taking 11% on some wordpress payments vs. ~3% via BitPay. Wordpress should introduce an incentive for customers to use bitcoins so that
it can earn larger margins. Otherwise, what is the point for Wordpress? Customers are not going to use bitcoin for the hell of it. I don't get any miles when I pay with bitcoin. Unless there is a discount, I pay with my card every single time.

Just read their press announcement. The bitcoin option isn't meant for users like you. This is for people who have trouble using CC and paypal. If it truly is cheaper they would be smart to offer a discount paying with that option. Like you said there are probably other issues like their contracts with the CC company though.

cunicula
Legendary

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 06:44:40 PM

Just read their press announcement. The bitcoin option isn't meant for users like you. This is for people who have trouble using CC and paypal. If it truly is cheaper they would be smart to offer a discount paying with that option. Like you said there are probably other issues like their contracts with the CC company though.

Sounds like it is mainly for marketing reasons then. Bitcoin, apparently, is hip.
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 08:42:32 PM

Sounds like it is mainly for marketing reasons then. Bitcoin, apparently, is hip.

lol, wordpress needs marketing? it's only like 90% of the blogs online uses it? it's unlikely for a user to know bitcoin, but unaware of wordpress. Bitcoin is far less well known compared to wordpress.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
lile

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 09:23:57 PM

Just read their press announcement. The bitcoin option isn't meant for users like you. This is for people who have trouble using CC and paypal.
Yep. I do not have a credit card, so I also can't have a paypal account. If I want to buy something online, I can either wire the money, or beg one of my friends to order it for me (or go to the bank and get a credit card, but I am way too lazy for that). Using bitcoin for me is a total no-brainer, and I'm sure I'm not the only having this problem.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2012, 11:00:45 PM

Just read their press announcement. The bitcoin option isn't meant for users like you. This is for people who have trouble using CC and paypal.
Yep. I do not have a credit card, so I also can't have a paypal account. If I want to buy something online, I can either wire the money, or beg one of my friends to order it for me (or go to the bank and get a credit card, but I am way too lazy for that). Using bitcoin for me is a total no-brainer, and I'm sure I'm not the only having this problem.

Unless something changed most recently, anybody can open a LIMITED-USE PayPal account without giving a CC or any other bank info. They can even use a pseudonym (must at least look like a real name--Randy Folds may not cut the mustard).
cunicula
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 02:33:21 AM

lol, wordpress needs marketing? it's only like 90% of the blogs online uses it? it's unlikely for a user to know bitcoin, but unaware of wordpress. Bitcoin is far less well known compared to wordpress.

Established brand names need marketing too. How do you think one stays on top. Here's an example. Why did Google leave China?
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2012, 02:51:59 AM

Established brand names need marketing too. How do you think one stays on top. Here's an example. Why did Google leave China?

Because only Nixon could go to China.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
cunicula
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 02:55:48 AM

Because only Nixon could go to China.

That wasn't what I was thinking of. But it is a very good answer.

Activity: 756

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 03:22:24 AM

Are they offering any type of discount for bitcoin use?

Why would they give discount if they have to pay a fee to the BitPay similarly as they would pay to PayPal ?

Also, even if they processed the Bitcoins themselves, they would still have to convert BTC to dollars anyway, so there is another small loss in the process of exchange.

Assuming that BitPay and Wordpress are well-managed (big assumption), BitPay is giving Wordpress a significant discount on its advertised processing fee, and Wordpress is passing part
of the savings on to customers.

If wordpress does not do this, then bitcoin will not be used by a meaningful number of Wordpress customers. If bitcoin is not used by a meaningful number of wordpress customers,
then bitcoin adoption will negatively affect wordpress' bottom line.

Payoff = Additional Margin from Bitcoin Payment vs. CC (negligible without volume) + Additional Customers who can only access bitcoin (absolutely negligible) - Adoption cost

This will be negative unless a discount is offered to increase the volume of BTC payments.

To sum up in different words. BitPay claims that the CC companies are taking 11% on some wordpress payments vs. ~3% via BitPay. Wordpress should introduce an incentive for customers to use bitcoins so that
it can earn larger margins. Otherwise, what is the point for Wordpress? Customers are not going to use bitcoin for the hell of it. I don't get any miles when I pay with bitcoin. Unless there is a discount, I pay with my card every single time.

he doesn't even understand. news flash: bitcoin doesn't charge 23.99% APR on purchases

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
cunicula
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 03:43:46 AM

he doesn't even understand. news flash: bitcoin doesn't charge 23.99% APR on purchases

I'm confused. Neither do credit cards if you pay your balance each month. Are you an undischarged bankrupt?

Activity: 756

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 03:45:35 AM

I'm confused. Neither do credit cards if you pay your balance each month. Are you an undischarged bankrupt?

why use his credit card if he could pay the fucker off. localbitcoins.com easier than buying bitcoins with a f'ing credit card

didn't know you were the one who made the original statement

totally hip

don't forget people who dont have credit cards but have laptops

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
stochastic

Activity: 532

View Profile
November 18, 2012, 08:00:27 AM

why use his credit card if he could pay the fucker off. localbitcoins.com easier than buying bitcoins with a f'ing credit card

didn't know you were the one who made the original statement

totally hip

don't forget people who dont have credit cards but have laptops

Did they buy the laptop with bitcoins?  What ever happened to debit cards?

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: