Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: .  (Read 19619 times)
BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 10:41:15 PM

its quite exciting because all week everyone was talking about Reddit, Reddit, Reddit.  And then Wordpress comes out of nowhere and drops the biggest ringing endorsement you could ask for.

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 11:11:51 PM

its quite exciting because all week everyone was talking about Reddit, Reddit, Reddit.  And then Wordpress comes out of nowhere and drops the biggest ringing endorsement you could ask for.

Reddit are still "thinking about it" last I heard, maybe they'll be calling up EFF to ask for their permission?

Seal
Donator

Activity: 848
Merit: 1078

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 11:13:42 PM

I'm currently seeing no less than 16 articles in the press section covering the wordpress announcement. This is a massive promotional piece for both wordpress and bitcoin. I would expect google trends to be picking this up in search volume over the next few days.

DefiDive - Filter the noise
A clean crypto asset management terminal
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 11:39:23 PM

Reddit are still "thinking about it" last I heard, maybe they'll be calling up EFF to ask for their permission?
Lulz  Cheesy
helloworld

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 12:07:48 AM

What exactly would reddit accepting bitcoin add to this other than being a follower?

Momentum?
helloworld

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 12:17:09 AM

If these people can freely share opinions and collaborate as we do in London

I seriously hope you're not suggesting London has a good freedom of speech track record. They love sending bloggers and twitterers to jail.
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 03:28:10 AM

This is good news, but: How exactly is this target group supposed to get hold of bitcoins? Oh, right. There are no bitcoin exchanges in Kenya, Haiti, Cuba, or Iraq. I am not being sarcastic, but genuinely concerned about this problem.

Iraq: nothing
Kenya: https://localbitcoins.com/postal_code/ken/nairobi/9999/?unit=km&listing_amount=10&
Haiti: none
Cuba: none

1/4 this should give you some hope.

Wordpress!!! Guys, a blogger that tells his customers that they get an add free blog if they tip him, can get bitcoins by spreading the word! How awesome is that?

(yes, it has been implied earlier in this thread but some people seam to not read every single post in this awesome thread Grin )

I'm sure there are important blogs by serious journalists in countries that are facing the paypal/visa embargo who can now fund their journalism directly through bitcoin - pay for their vpn/vps, pay to update the tools they need to freely express themselves.
They can be supported by ordinary individuals and other journalists who care about what they have to say.

Personalize this in a touching human story about one blogger who was enabled by Bitcoin and we'd have powerful PR . This kind of thing is perfect for Bitcoin's image, and is a perfect antidote to the "black market" and "money laundering" image.

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2012, 03:39:50 AM

Personalize this in a touching human story about one blogger who was enabled by Bitcoin and we'd have powerful PR . This kind of thing is perfect for Bitcoin's image, and is a perfect antidote to the "black market" and "money laundering" image.

Search around the internet for some kids in Africa with a blog site on Wordpress.  Convince them to accept donations in bitcoins, a handful of us chip in, and with like 3 BTC they can upgrade and improve their blog.

Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 03:48:37 AM

This is like how reddit will find some person in need and shower them with donations and gifts. Some examples of this crowd philanthropy, which of course would be much easier in bitcoins: http://mashable.com/2012/05/24/reddit-social-good/

Bitcoin is a tidal wave of human interest stories just waiting to happen. If this were to catch on, when it comes time for the regulators to crack down there could be a huge public outcry.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2012, 04:03:42 AM

Search around the internet for some kids in Africa with a blog site on Wordpress.  Convince them to accept donations in bitcoins, a handful of us chip in, and with like 3 BTC they can upgrade and improve their blog.

Thanks to your post, I discovered Heather Mansfield.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 04:42:19 AM
Last edit: November 17, 2012, 08:42:02 AM by Stephen Gornick

Bitpay charges almost 3% to have your funds in USD. ...SO its pretty close to paypal fees..

Don't forget that when a merchant like WordPress receives PayPal payment from customers in other countries, they get charged "cross border fees" of an additional amount (~1% extra).
 - https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_display-xborder-fees-outside

This also lets WordPress customers take advantage of the frequent opportunity to arbitrage.  There will be instances where the price (in USDs) is more expensive to pay than if that customer were to buy bitcoins using the local rate for bitcoins due to exchanges not always being price efficient.

For instance, at this moment BTC/USD is $11.52.  So if I was making a $11.52 purchase from WordPress, I would be asked to pay 1.0 BTC.    At this moment the EUR/USD is 1.2727 and let's say the BTC/EUR was 8.7 EUR.  That would let the customer pay using bitcoins and see a discount versus if paying using EURs, as those 8.7 EUR would convert to $11.02 USD using the current EUR/USD exchange rate but they buy 1.0 BTC which satisfies the amount on the WordPress invoice.

These differences will normally only be a few percent but there are times (like today) where these opportunities to perform purchase price arbitrage are possible to the WordPress customer.

Additionally, WordPress (or parent Automaticc) likely pays freelancers for help and those freelancers will probably be among the first to realize that if WordPress is accepting bitcoins that WordPress might also be willing to send payment in bitcoins as well (versus whatever current method is used -- such as an expensive bank wire).    When that happens WordPress may just change their payout conversion settings so that some of the revenues are kept as BTCs.

It may already be that WordPress is paying for help (e.g., freelancers) with bitcoins, and now adding bitcoins as a payment method for its revenue stream gives them a cheaper method to acquire bitcoins than buying through an exchange.     That's probably not the case here with WordPress, but this undoubtedly will be the catalyst triggering much follow-on commerce where bitcoins are used for payment.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 04:53:15 AM

LOL. "Wanted Nigerian Scammer who accepts bitcoin" I can't wait to see that blow up in your face.

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2012, 05:43:21 AM

Bitpay charges almost 3% to have your funds in USD. ...SO its pretty close to paypal fees..

Don't forget that when a merchant like WordPress receives payment from customers in other countries, they get charged "cross border fees" of an additional amount (~1% extra).

~1% is just the extra fee, they also pad the rate.

For a $5 wordpress upgrade, collecting from any foreign country, PayPal will take 30 cents plus 3.9% plus their 1% margin on the exchange.  so in total, about 11% processing fee.

If those are the types of fees a company has been paying for the last 15 years, they would not bat an eye at our 2.69% all-inclusive fee.

cunicula
Legendary

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 05:46:55 AM

Don't forget that when a merchant like WordPress receives payment from customers in other countries, they get charged "cross border fees" of an additional amount (~1% extra).

~1% is just the extra fee, they also pad the rate.

For a $5 wordpress upgrade, collecting from any foreign country, PayPal will take 30 cents plus 3.9% plus their 1% margin on the exchange.  so in total, about 11% processing fee.

If those are the types of fees a company has been paying for the last 15 years, they would not bat an eye at our 2.69% all-inclusive fee.

Are they offering any type of discount for bitcoin use?
If yes, what kind?
If no, why not?
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2012, 06:35:48 AM

What sort of thing does a $5 (or any price) WP upgrade get you? I think I saw numbers of like $45 mil for WP last year, but I don't know if that is revenue or profit, are lots of people buying upgrades?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Herodes

Activity: 868

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 07:23:16 AM

LOL. "Wanted Nigerian Scammer who accepts bitcoin" I can't wait to see that blow up in your face.

Just wait till the Somali pirates starts learning about bitcoin!

Perhaps we will see pirates with EMG weapons, and shippers will get this threat:

"Pay 200K bitcoins to 1asxddffsa3334r541234 within 12 hours, or expect all your ships passing woddoloddidoo waters to be incapacitated for the following week."
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 08:36:04 AM

Why would they give discount if they have to pay a fee to the BitPay similarly as they would pay to PayPal ?

Also, even if they processed the Bitcoins themselves, they would still have to convert BTC to dollars anyway, so there is another small loss in the process of exchange.

cunicula
Legendary

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 08:43:32 AM

Why would they give discount if they have to pay a fee to the BitPay similarly as they would pay to PayPal ?

Also, even if they processed the Bitcoins themselves, they would still have to convert BTC to dollars anyway, so there is another small loss in the process of exchange.

Assuming that BitPay and Wordpress are well-managed (big assumption), BitPay is giving Wordpress a significant discount on its advertised processing fee, and Wordpress is passing part
of the savings on to customers.

[It is also possible that the CC cartel interferes with this. Funny thing about bitcoin libertarians. They like cartels, but cartels fuck them anally. Does this mean libertarians are bottoms?]

If wordpress does not do this, then bitcoin will not be used by a meaningful number of Wordpress customers. If bitcoin is not used by a meaningful number of wordpress customers,
then bitcoin adoption will negatively affect wordpress' bottom line.

Payoff = Additional Margin from Bitcoin Payment vs. CC (negligible without volume) + Additional Customers who can only access bitcoin (absolutely negligible) - Adoption cost

This will be negative unless a discount is offered to increase the volume of BTC payments.

To sum up in different words. BitPay claims that the CC companies are taking 11% on some wordpress payments vs. ~3% via BitPay. Wordpress should introduce an incentive for customers to use bitcoins so that
it can earn larger margins. Otherwise, what is the point for Wordpress? Customers are not going to use bitcoin for the hell of it. I don't get any miles when I pay with bitcoin. Unless there is a discount, I pay with my card every single time.
cunicula
Legendary

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 08:54:17 AM

You want a company to be less greedy LMAO

No. I'm an economist. If the managers aren't greedy, I want the managers replaced.

It is possible that CC company greed is interfering with greed further down in the chain. If so, I blame the state for failing to adequately regulate CC companies.
cunicula
Legendary

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 08:56:53 AM

You want a company to be less greedy LMAO

No. I'm an economist. I want companies to be more greedy. If they aren't greedy I want the managers replaced with competent ones.

wait you just said you want wordpress to over a discount because they use bitcoins and don't have high fees, now your saying something else. They are greedy no discount will happen.

Have you heard of supply and demand? Or is this going to be hopeless?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: