Author Topic: .  (Read 19619 times)
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 01:03:31 AM

I honestly don't care about richest company. It isn't like they are pumping the money into bitcoins anyway and after a little bump in the price of bitcoins, I doubt it will stay there. I want substance, that is a disappointment here.
I'll be nice and explain it to you just this once:

The reason most of us are so excited about this is not necessarily because we hope to see a significant increase in the exchange rate or immediate general use but because a giant rich company like that actually announcing to the world that they think Bitcoin is a legit option is a huge nod of approval which will be heard loud and clear by everyone else on the sidelines indecisive perhaps about jumping in. In other words we are mostly excited for the PR effect this move will have that will eventually hopefully lead to more Bitcoin users and a higher exchange rate!

I hope that was clear enough.

*facepalm* I clearly said that in my very first post here, the exposer will be great for bitcoin community so yeah.

I am going to rain on this parade a little bit, but WORDPRESS really? It is awesome that they are accepting bitcoins, great exposer, but wordpress isn't that great of a company. Plus they launched a small part of that, they should have waited until the can launch there bundles with bitcoins. They claim is due to technical issues, so why not wait the month or two until it is setup.
Yeah it's only like the 22nd largest site in the world..

I don't care if they were the 1st largest site, as I said great press but they limited what is being able to purchased. Plus when was the last time you saw a company blog powered by wordpress? Everyone is switching there blogs to tumblr, if you haven't noticed. Wordpress is just trying to copy tumblr now, kinda sad.

but wordpress isn't that great of a company.

It's the richest company to ever accept bitcoins yet! http://allthingsd.com/20120425/automattic-grows-up-the-company-behind-wordpress-com-shares-revenue-numbers-and-hires-execs/

WordPress now powers 70 million sites, up from 35 million sites a year ago. Almost half of the biggest blogs in the world are hosted by WordPress.com or run on their own versions of the open-source WordPress platform.
The company is profitable, and expects to bring in $45 million in revenue this year, according to CEO Toni Schneider and founder Matt Mullenweg.

I honestly don't care about richest company. It isn't like they are pumping the money into bitcoins anyway and after a little bump in the price of bitcoins, I doubt it will stay there. I want substance, that is a disappointment here.

WordPress completely dominates top 100 blogs Posted in Main on April 11th, 2012 by Pingdom

WordPress is no doubt a very popular web publishing platform for blogs and other types of websites. But just how popular is it?

We just completed a study and found that WordPress is in use by 48% of the top 100 blogs in the world. This is an increase from the 32% we recorded three years ago.

Plus, take a look at this page: http://en.wordpress.com/notable-users/

Did you read the first article posted? Most of the wordpress blogs are self hosted so yeah they will ignore the bitcoins since this only applies to wordpress.com hosted blogs. But twitter, canv.as, Intsagram, and many more use tumblr as a blogging platform. Plus when was the last time you read a NYT blog post, I never even knew they had a blog.

If not now, then later will one be able to upgrade via Bitcoin to a self-hosted blog:

Bitcoin should be accepted for all purchases within two or three months.
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
2GOOD

Activity: 547
Merit: 531

First bits: 12good

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 01:03:38 AM

How can people always find some bad side of any good story... this is crazy c'mon think positive, once again this is great news  Cool

hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 01:04:29 AM

It's these little acorns...

That's how bottom up works  Cool

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 01:05:06 AM

Take a gander at some of the comments below the announcement: http://en.blog.wordpress.com/2012/11/15/pay-another-way-bitcoin/
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 01:07:12 AM

This is good news, but: How exactly is this target group supposed to get hold of bitcoins? Oh, right. There are no bitcoin exchanges in Kenya, Haiti, Cuba, or Iraq. I am not being sarcastic, but genuinely concerned about this problem.

I have a lot of bitcoins, I don't use exchanges. Many people in those countries have skills that someone somewhere in the world might pay for.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 01:08:56 AM

How can people always find some bad side of any good story... this is crazy c'mon think positive, once again this is great news  Cool

We're fucked! The world ain't ready for Bitcoin yet. We need to stop this madness. Can those over at The Bitcoin Foundation put a stop to all this acceptance stuff, starting with having Wordpress change their policy?

Somehow, I feel that BitPay is behind this. We need to have a sPammer tag in place to deal with these rascals.

~Cackling Bear~
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 01:17:11 AM

@gweedo can you STFU? Please

Why? cause I disagree that wordpress is the almighty blogging platform. I just don't like wordpress company, plus they said this is half ass launched, they should support anything they sell in bitcoins, and do it right, instead of just half or pick and choose. Sorry my opinion is different and I forgot this isn't a forum for discussions.

For what it's worth, I respect your opinion and wasn't dissing you by posting comments/replies to your posts. (I know your post above wasn't directed toward me, but I wanted to go on record, nonetheless)
Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 01:18:27 AM

Take a gander at some of the comments below the announcement: http://en.blog.wordpress.com/2012/11/15/pay-another-way-bitcoin/
My favorite comment: "This is fantastic! With a place to spend Bitcoins, we can now begin accepting them from our readers. Thanks, WordPress!"

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 01:20:00 AM

@gweedo can you STFU? Please

Why? ...

Meh, because bitcoin...

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 01:24:37 AM

My favorite comment: "This is fantastic! With a place to spend Bitcoins, we can now begin accepting them from our readers. Thanks, WordPress!"

Mine:

This is very interesting. I didn't know of Bitcoin… thank you!

Image of the day:

Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 01:29:18 AM

This is good news, but: How exactly is this target group supposed to get hold of bitcoins? Oh, right. There are no bitcoin exchanges in Kenya, Haiti, Cuba, or Iraq. I am not being sarcastic, but genuinely concerned about this problem.
Remittances and donations should be more than sufficient. Most bloggers from these countries have family abroad who do have access to bitcoins, and if they have any international audience at all it's shouldn't be hard to get enough bitcoins from their readers to pay for the services.

https://bitcoinnordic.com/  I think they offer services in Africa and the middle east.

giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 01:33:24 AM

I don't remember. Who was next?

google.com
facebook.com
youtube.com
yahoo.com
baidu.com
wikipedia.org
live.com
twitter.com
qq.com
amazon.com
taobao.com
linkedin.com
blogspot.com
google.co.in
yahoo.co.jp
sina.com.cn
google.de
yandex.ru
msn.com
wordpress.com
google.com.hk
google.co.jp
bing.com
ebay.com
google.co.uk

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2012, 01:35:44 AM

I don't remember. Who was next?

google.com
facebook.com
youtube.com
yahoo.com
baidu.com
wikipedia.org
live.com
twitter.com
qq.com
amazon.com
taobao.com
linkedin.com
blogspot.com
google.co.in
yahoo.co.jp
sina.com.cn
google.de
yandex.ru
msn.com
wordpress.com
google.com.hk
google.co.jp
bing.com
ebay.com
google.co.uk

Reddit?

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
bitlizard

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 01:36:30 AM

-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
Version: OpenPGP.js v.1.20130820
Comment: http://openpgpjs.org

xo0EUhf9FQED/0sL3rfa9DYObowd03us1FpzLw5l5FteaeUnArz68lp9HNqP
VXixNNHRW4Zozm+wPcU68D8IdfgKJamLEYuQcrN9Dy35TllW9djSTYz1D5Cl
ITa/88kYXUurCG5vzoYujXEBggCz/+VsHhwsDC1U+PFUAmrWyii9UEmu2Nwm
aNBZABEBAAHNIlJlZ2FuIE1pbG5lIDxyZWdhbm1pbG5lQGdtYWlsLmNvbT7C
nAQQAQgAEAUCUhf9FwkQ6+hDAft7/iQAADjEA/sFZG4B3SfwsoEzXHa9Rq/A
QabkxwnDR4BIm0zq2YfAuk08yZA0lbvaYE8mlPt3Xb2NmlErC3g/ymfktx2m
NrhP6BRXmPP/b4E+EPSbKBeLI/+eCP6BwPLEpZYQrHxg0eHLwYNQTK5f6SxK
7vcxO/OaBmcvo9ZAHDKkP3HJiqRZyw==
=feLE
-----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 01:43:00 AM

Fantastic...  BTC will became widely used, maybe faster than most of us think !

I Like the press coverage that follows, and all this may just make a snow ball !

That news make my day Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I like the artice from Douglas French about acceptance of new currency, well written, well reashershed.  A must read, kinda related..

http://lfb.org/today/currencies-of-the-future/

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 01:44:03 AM

Anyone else notice how the official announcement from Wordpress has subtly changed since it was originally posted?
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 01:46:24 AM

I always tought bitcoin was a great concept, from the first time I learned about it. I am glad more people, and esp. people who actually amounts to something realizing this. Wordpress is huge. As more and more 'bigger' entities follow, then more will follow. This will have a snowballing effect. And the more merchants and companies that adopts bitcoin, the harder it will be to justify 'regulating' it to death.

I haven't been too active in the bitcoin community the last few months, so actually seeing things like this, makes me very happy and give me even more renewed confidence in that bitcoin will succeed big. When wordpress now accepts bitcoin, other sites will be thinking "Hm.. wordpress takes bitcoin, then we should too". Then the boss of some larger retailer sees that wordpress, and site x, site n and site b takes bitcoin, and it should amount to something, and before you know it, you can buy on newegg.com with bitcoin, then comes amazon... and so on....  Grin

Cheers for freedom to the individual and for a great payment solution !
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 01:48:46 AM

Anyone else notice how the official announcement from Wordpress has subtly changed since it was originally posted?
I noticed the change from Cuba and Iraq to Ethiopia.
helloworld

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 01:52:38 AM

This is indeed great news.

But while we're all jumping up and down praising Wordpress, let's give a little credit on the side to BitPay shall we? They've probably made things easier and smoother for everyone.
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 01:54:58 AM

This is actually pretty big news, not "wikipedia accepts bitcoin" big, but big nonetheless.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: